• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biggest dip in quality in a movie franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I know most people would say Die Hard 3 versus 4, but that pales in comparison to 4 vs 5...

Live Free or Die Hard isn't that bad. And yeah, it's a masterpiece compared to A Good Day to Die Hard. Die Hard 2 kinda sucks too now that I think about it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Live Free or Die Hard isn't that bad. And yeah, it's a masterpiece compared to A Good Day to Die Hard. Die Hard 2 kinda sucks too now that I think about it.

Nowt wrong with Die Hard 2, brilliant film and one I enjoy just as much as the original. At least it actually has a menacing enemy who is a bad bastard rather than a hacker who just whines at McClane.

Ecotic

It amazes me in retrospect that The Mask ever got made in the way that it did. The movie was seen as a kids movie, it was marketed as a kids movie, yet contained lots of guns, death, and adult themes. And despite everything the movie totally worked tonally.

Into

To me it comes to Star Wars -> Prequels and Terminator 2 -> Terminator 3.

One could argue T3 is better than Phantom Menace, and yeah, i can see that, its not terribly annoying and it is more or less doing the same story of T2 (and T1) but with a different ending. A ending that is perhaps the best part of that movie.

However there is something enjoyable about just how fucking shitty the prequels are, we got that excellent Red Letter Media review that is more entertaining than the movie itself, the hit song "George Lucas raped my childhood", The People vs George Lucas and 9.842.933 YouTube videos of angry Star Wars fans. The pure idiocy of a once respected and beloved director finally exposed as a complete fraud, as one Star Wars fan "fuck you George in your pee hole, i hope you piss lightning out of it".

That same entertainment was just never there for Terminator 3. There is nothing to laugh at except maybe Nick Stahl playing the character of John Connor. Us Terminator fans (and i am one) just left with sadness and put it in our past.

Star Wars fans are different and more numerous, they could not put it past them like we could. Perhaps they love their franchise more than we love ours. Whatever it is, they made the aftermath of that shit show entertaining, while ours was a forgettable "meh".

Because of that ive concluded that while prequels are worse movies than T3, Salvation and that shit TV series, at least the prequels provided us with more entertainment. Therefore T2->T3 and Salvation is the biggest dip in quality in a movie franchise.

Barack-Obama-Saying-It-is-Law.gif

Thank you everyone, court is adjourned

Ra\/en

definitely the Matrix. The original is a wonderful standalone movie that I'll always enjoy. The sequels are best forgotten.

Cheerilee

Transformers 2 was an atrocity. IMO, it's one of the worst movies to have a wide theatrical release in the past decade. Bad racist stereotype transformers, parents getting high, transformer testicles, transformer heaven, etc.

On the surface though, it sounded like you just described Transformers 1.

Awful racist comedy, dogs getting high, parents talking about masturbation, Bumblebee pissing, magic cube that turns Xbox and Mountain Dew and Doritos into Transformers, plot that makes no sense...

Suffice it to say, #2 is even worse than #1. And #3 isn't any better (I haven't inflicted #4 upon myself yet).

To quote Roger Ebert (one of the people who actually liked Transformers 1):
It's goofy fun with a lot of stuff that blows up real good, and it has the grace not only to realize how preposterous it is, but to make that into an asset.
On #2:
"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments.

Or as Jay from RedLetterMedia recently put it: "Awww, how cute. This one [#1] still thinks it's a real movie."

ViralAura

Neo Member
Mean Girls to Mean Girls 2, which I was never really a fan of Mean Girls.

I guess if it counts-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I can't watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

A_Gorilla

Banned
OMG. RotK to An Unexpected Journey was a cliff dive. Pete went full Lucas.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

The worst part about Alien 3 is that it started the franchise on a downward spiral from which it may never recover.

The only way I see salvation is if James Cameron takes over for Ridley in Prometheus 2, renames it Prometheii, and makes it a gung-ho action/horror film punctuation by character drama

I know it's not a popular belief, but I think Alien 3 in some ways was on par with the other two.

I think people wanted it to go even bigger after Cameron, and instead we got brooding and reflective instead. I liked Fincher's religious take on it, even if it was overwrought.

Alien 4 however. Holy fuck. I don't even fucking know what the fuck that shit was.

no, but we surely are a small few around here. To me, 3 is tied with 4 as the best episode in the saga

I HATE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

She seems to have lost the will to live.

YOU KILLED YOUNGLINGS.

I can go on, but shit, I just shared an unpopular opinion, so I can't throw stones too much.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I know it's not a popular belief, but I think Alien 3 in some ways was on par with the other two.

I think people wanted it to go even bigger after Cameron, and instead we got brooding and reflective instead. I liked Fincher's religious take on it, even if it was overwrought.

Alien 4 however. Holy fuck. I don't even fucking know what the fuck that shit was.

I HATE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

She seems to have lost the will to live.

YOU KILLED YOUNGLINGS.

I can go on, but shit, I just shared an unpopular opinion, so I can't throw stones too much.

eh, if we gonna judge SW by the quality of the dialogue the first episodes aren't exactly Noel Coward material either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom