• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K24 - Reviews Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game Information

Game Title: WWE 2K24

Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Mar 8, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 8, 2024)
  • PC (Mar 8, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 8, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Mar 8, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Visual Concepts

Publisher: 2K

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 82 average - 95% recommended
Metaecritic - 82 average Based on 23 Critic Reviews

T3jin3z.jpg

NliJICT.jpg

Critic Reviews

COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 85 / 100
WWE 2K24 develops on the solid foundation from its predecessors. Each thoughtful tweak and refinement improves the gameplay to faithfully replicate the television experience. New additions help to bolster the package giving you plenty of options to engage in the world of wrestling. While it sticks to the established formula, it’s still a confident step in the right direction.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 4 / 5
WWE 2K24 finishes the wrestling series' comeback story with its best installment yet.

DualShockers - Matthew Schomer - 9.2 / 10
Way more than just an annual roster update, WWE 2K24 chronicles the history of sports entertainment's biggest even with its 40 Years of WrestleMania showcase, but it also shines in a massively improved GM mode and four brand new match types.

Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 4 / 5
WWE 2K24 is a gorgeous wrestling game with hard-hitting fights that will keep players plugged in for hours on end. The series seems to be settling in to the annual release trap of small steps forward over major improvements, but hopefully next year's entry can provide the big leaps that modes like MyGM need to help the WWE 2K series reach the next level and finish the comeback story that started with WWE 2K22.

GamesRadar+ - Ben Wilson - 4 / 5
The most accomplished wrestling game of the last decade – only held back by gnawing MyFaction concerns. A shame.

Gert Lush Gaming - Jim Smale - 7.8 / 10
WWE 2K24 offers a comprehensive and immersive wrestling experience with many modes for every kind of player, The Wrestlemania mode sticks out as one of the best in the game.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 9 / 10
WWE 2K24 is without a doubt the best entry in the series so far, and like the actual product on our TV screens, it feels like the only way is up from here on out.

Hey Poor Player - Jonathan Trussler - 4 / 5
WWE2K24 is a worthy addition to this long-running sports entertainment franchise. The developers have done a good job of listening to player’s woes and tweaking the formula to make something not revolutionary, but meticulously refined. There’s a vast amount of single-player grappling goodness here to enjoy, and that’s even before you get to the online modes and the inevitably bountiful community creations to come. WWE2K24 doesn’t quite finish the story but still adds a few enjoyable new chapters.

Metro GameCentral - Alistair McGeorge - 9 / 10
Another improvement after two stellar editions in 2022 and 2023, WWE 2K24 feels like the culmination of a WrestleMania-sized comeback for the franchise.

PSX Brasil - Thiago de Alencar Moura - Portuguese - 85 / 100
WWE 2K24 is better than its predecessor, bringing new types of fights, adjustments to game modes and new features that enrich the gameplay of the series, as well as a Showcase that sets a very high standard of quality to be followed by future games in the series.

Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 8.5 / 10
WWE 2K24 is such a full, feature-complete wrestling game that it makes me thankful for the franchise capitulation from a few years ago. Without it, the digital squared circle likely wouldn't be what it is today, it certainly wouldn't have benefited from the three years of care, respect, and foundation we enjoy today. Instead, it'd remain a story unfinished.

Pure Xbox - Fraser Gilbert - 8 / 10
WWE 2K24 is undoubtedly one of the best wrestling games in Xbox history, but it's also a game that prioritises incremental upgrades over any kind of major overhauls, so casual fans may struggle to justify a full-price purchase. As dedicated wrestling "marks" though, we think the new MyRise stories, superb improvements to MyGM, nostalgia-driven Showcase mode, additional match types and various gameplay adjustments are all worth the price of admission.

Push Square - Ben Potter - 8 / 10
Far removed from the haunted carnival ride that was WWE 2K20, 2K and Visual Concepts have settled into an extremely reliable groove. The amount of content on offer is absolutely staggering, with grapple fans certain to delight in at least one of the many available modes and 200+ available Superstars. Some visual inconsistencies and a somewhat lacklustre WrestleMania Showcase let the side down, but beyond that, WWE 2K24 is another strong, if safe, entry in the 2K-driven WWE series.

Shacknews - David Craddock - 8 / 10
WWE 2K24 is packed with features. Some you know, while others are new or have been given fresh coats of paint. Showcase mode is worth the price of admission alone, but the diverse roster and deep systems kept me playing for hours. No matter what your story is, you’ll have fun finishing it and starting others.

TechRaptor - Samiee Tee - 6 / 10
Another installment of a satisfying yearly franchise fails to be beset by fatigue, but instead, the greed that tries to make everything else suffer alongside it.

The Beta Network - Samuel Incze - 8 / 10
WWE 2K24 continues to improve on the 2K series wrestling formula whilst offering a host of new features for players to enjoy. This year’s MyRise storylines are the best ones yet, and the showcase mode is great fun! Unfortunately, Universe mode and GM Mode still seem to be underserved with 2K focusing on MyFaction instead.

Twinfinite - Shaun Ranft - 4 / 5
As so many of us continue to learn, nostalgia trips can turn eye-roll-inducing in a hurry. They run the risk of turning into a hackneyed compilation of things we know while sacrificing the overall quality of the end product. A cynical cash-in, as it were. WWE 2K24, it must be said, does not succumb to this particular pitfall.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 8 / 10
With the release of WWE 2K24 this series no longer feels like a carny outcast amongst the other big sports franchises. While the game’s core action could stand to be even further refined, fun new mechanics, match types, and a fully-developed suite of modes, including significantly improved Showcase and MyGM offerings, are worth cheering for. While maybe not quite the total package just yet, WWE 2K24 feels like it’s ready for the bright lights.

WellPlayed - Adam Ryan - 9 / 10
Riding the momentum of the past two entries, 2K24 brings with it enough new content and meaningful changes to easily be considered the best wrestling game on the market today.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8.5 / 10
WWE 2K24 is the best wrestling game that Visual Concepts has made by far. They have a complete package, with a massive roster, and a clear vision. If you’ve held off on upgrading at launch the last few years I think this is the time to jump in.

kiphalfton

Either the game is that good, or it's that bad. Based on this thread having zero responses after a week.

Last edited:

darthvargi

I am not a hardcore fan of the series or really modern day WWE but I took the plunge and bought the deluxe edition. It's surprisingly really robust with a lot of wrestlers and modes. I bought 2k22 super cheap a couple years ago and although the gameplay is similar, it's definitely more refined.

My biggest complaint is the greed of the publisher. When you start the game, you get messages about My Faction mode which is loaded with micro transactions. It's essentially Madden or FIFA Ultimate Team mode with cards. Even the Showcase mode is BS. I like the premise of reliving wrestling history but if you don't do the chore list of objectives, you won't fully unlock the characters. But hey if you buy the $20 accelerator, you won't have to do the laundry list. It's things like that holding the game back from being a classic like the N64 games I fondly remember.

kiphalfton

I am not a hardcore fan of the series or really modern day WWE but I took the plunge and bought the deluxe edition. It's surprisingly really robust with a lot of wrestlers and modes. I bought 2k22 super cheap a couple years ago and although the gameplay is similar, it's definitely more refined.

My biggest complaint is the greed of the publisher. When you start the game, you get messages about My Faction mode which is loaded with micro transactions. It's essentially Madden or FIFA Ultimate Team mode with cards. Even the Showcase mode is BS. I like the premise of reliving wrestling history but if you don't do the chore list of objectives, you won't fully unlock the characters. But hey if you buy the $20 accelerator, you won't have to do the laundry list. It's things like that holding the game back from being a classic like the N64 games I fondly remember.

Haven't played any wrestling games since PS2 era before playing 2K22 a couple years ago.

Same thing like you said with WWE 2k22. In the Rey Mysterio story mode (IDK what it's called), you had to do very specific moves and shit to unlock whomever it was you were fighting against. Then it would play some stupid ass scene from the actual match with some dialogue or some BS. Wa immersion breaking. Also was able to storm through that mode in like an hour.

Will probably get this one when it's <$10.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have no interest but don’t these games typically score doodoo? 82 is surprising. Maybe I am mistaken and they turned it around recently.

Last year's WWE game was legitimately very good, they have certainly gotten a lot better after taking some time off. And their showcase modes where they seamlessly blend in in game footage into real world archival footage is pretty nice.

The AEW game was pretty disappointing by comparison. For fans of the WWE, it's certainly the best time to be picking these up.

Top Bottom