• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THANOS IS IN GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, THE INTERNET IS A SNAKE EATING ITS OWN TAIL

The truth.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Characters announced in press releases are unquestionably not spoilers.

I don't recall there being a press release stating that Josh Brolin as Thanos was in GotG. Do you have a link to the actual press release? I know I knew about it but that's because I'm pretty lax about spoilers. I must have just missed the press release itself.

I recall there being an announcement that he would be playing Thanos in the Marvel Cinematic Universe thought. That was quite clear and his appearance at Comic-Con was all about that. There was a lot of hints and speculation that he would be making an appearance in GotG but nothing concrete regarding the size of his role. I'm not surprised people didn't know about it. They never went out of their way to make it common knowledge.

I'm with Sculli on this.

marrec

Banned
One interesting question is whether - in retrospect, people would consider some of the big Prometheus trailer reveals being put in topic titles as spoilers?

I honestly wouldn't... but then I didn't really care about spoiling myself for Prometheus as the Alien movies were never really anything amazing for me.

These Marvel movies are much more sensitive for me though as I've been fully invested in Cosmic Marvel since I was a wee laddie. That said, with my full investment comes a instant devouring of any promotional materials or press releases so Thanos' inclusion in GotG was not at all a surprise for me.

Hey guys, are we all talking about how cool Than--- oh.

0SpTgZB.gif

chris%20pratt%20star%20lord%20gotg.gif

diaspora

I don't recall there being a press release stating that Josh Brolin as Thanos was in GotG. Do you have a link to the actual press release? I know I knew about it but that's because I'm pretty lax about spoilers.

I recall there being an announcement that he would be playing Thanos in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There was a lot of hints and speculation that he would be making an appearance in GotG but nothing concrete regarding the size of his role. I'm not surprised people didn't know about it. They never went out of their way to make it common knowledge.

I'm with Sculli on this.

"Marvel Studios confirmed one of the latest worst keep secrets that Josh Brolin would be playing the intergalactic villain Thanos in the upcoming Guardians Of The Galaxy."

Thanos looks badass. I didn't know he was in the movie, but since Marvel has apparently been promoting this heavily, it's definitely not a spoiler.

RiggyRob

Sculli I retract my statement bro I had no idea Guardians had Thanos.

: /

I am spoiled

As someone with only a passing interest in Marvel stuff, I didn't know Guardians of the Galaxy would have Thanos in either. I assumed he'd be in the next Avengers movie, but then I haven't been following the stuff religiously.

I wouldn't say it's too much to ask people not to put 'spoilers' in thread titles, but then I don't really care about being spoiled on this anyway. Below pretty much mirrors my opinion on Marvel/Avengers vs Prometheus:

I honestly wouldn't... but then I didn't really care about spoiling myself for Prometheus as the Alien movies were never really anything amazing for me.

These Marvel movies are much more sensitive for me though as I've been fully invested in Cosmic Marvel since I was a wee laddie. That said, with my full investment comes a instant devouring of any promotional materials or press releases so Thanos' inclusion in GotG was not at all a surprise for me.

jett

D-Member
There are actually have been a couple of threads announcing Josh Brolin as Thanos already. It's not a big deal. As far back as May.

Thanks for spoiling the movie bro.

Remember when Expendable actually casually dropped real spoilers? :p

Zeliard

I don't recall there being a press release stating that Josh Brolin as Thanos was in GotG. Do you have a link to the actual press release? I know I knew about it but that's because I'm pretty lax about spoilers. I must have just missed the press release itself.

Thanos, Marvel’s most cosmic villain, now has a face as Josh Brolin joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

The celebrated actor can first be seen and heard as the Mad Titan in Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy,” in theaters August 1, and will subsequently play Thanos in future Marvel Studios films.

“Josh brings all the weight and stature necessary for a character as iconic and significant as Thanos,” said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. “We’re incredibly excited for fans to see more of him as the Marvel Cinematic Universe continues to expand.”

Brolin’s career began with the cult-classic “The Goonies,” and in his 29-year career since then the actor has taken on countless roles in both film and television, including critically-acclaimed performances in “No Country For Old Men,” “W.” and “True Grit.” In that time, Brolin has worked with such esteemed directors as Oliver Stone, Spike Lee, Joel and Ethan Coen, Woody Allen, and Robert Rodgriguez, who he will next reunite with on “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For” later this year. Following that, Brolin will appear in director P.T. Anderson’s “Inherent Vice,” adapted from the novel by Thomas Pynchon.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/2014/...in_is_thanos_in_the_marvel_cinematic_universe

fanboi

Banned
There are actually have been a couple of threads announcing Josh Brolin as Thanos already. It's not a big deal.

Yes but not that Thanos would appear in this movie.

That's hindsight. The trailers ruined almost every major plot point but nobody knew that before launch, but discussing the trailers in of themselves would have been fine.

Yet it's because of studio marketing practices like that that people go on blackout. I know I did for Prometheus. Then I went back and watched the trailers and laughed. They did pretty much the same thing for the latest Apes film.

Anyway, here's hoping nobody posts Interstellar thread title spoilers from the latest trailer.

I mean, if you see a character die in a trailer (which essentially happened in the trailers for Days of Future Past), is it not unreasonable to consider that maybe it shouldn't be the title of a thread?

Oh man, you know I do.

Boem

I don't even really care about this movie, I was just amazed about how quickly it got ugly. Like Sculli said, people were just having a normal discussion, and suddenly people who are concerned about spoilers are all jackasses and assholes who are out to ruin the forums for others (which was said by mods, no less!). There's some twisting of logic here that I can't wrap my brain around. How difficult is it to try and understand other people, even if they don't share your personal opinion on what does or what doesn't constitute a spoiler. The only change people are asking for is a little spoiler warning in the thread title, and not to reveal the character's actual name in the title. That's it, crisis averted. Everybody's happy. People who want to discuss it can, people who don't want a popular character's appearance in a movie that's coming out in a couple of days spoiled won't have to worry about it. For some reason this is impossible and would ruin Gaf, and people who don't agree with some people in here are now just told to leave Gaf forever instead?

Yeah, this is a weird topic. I'm out, because it's just a shouting match at this point. I have no idea why such a minor issue resulted in all the name calling. It's a bit childish.

Jarmel

Banned
My understanding of GAF's spoiler policy is that unless otherwise stated, if it's in the marketing such as press releases or trailers, it's not a spoiler. If you disagree with that then you can always not browse GAF until the movie or whatever it is you want to remain unsullied for, is released. I also advise you not to browse a very high number of websites in general.

Can we get back to discussing the actual stuff in the OP?

I'm sorry but what else is supposed to be the title of this thread? If you put spoilers the massive amount of people that knew thanos was in can't decide whether or not to come in. This is why people hate spoiler culture. If someone can come up with a thread title that lets the mass amount of people marvel has directly told about this know that the character is thanos then yes you are shifting this thread up

DarkKyo

Bro, this was in the marketing. If you're doing an information blackout then you already screwed up being on a forum. It's not the OP's fault that you didn't know and the OP shouldn't have to assume that you don't know.

Like I said, this isn't a spoiler for me. I also don't even care about spoilers for Marvel stuff. I just think GAF should be better than this. Don't call me bro-- it makes you sound like a snotty child.

marrec

Banned
Count me in the group that didn't expect him until Avengers 2. :-/

Okay... but is it a spoiler that he has a cameo in GotG?

I mean...

Okay fine, spoilers for COSMIC MARVEL and the GotG comics specifically.

Gamora is his adopted Daughter, so a movie that's introducing Gamora will probably have Thanos anyway?

Unless you don't follow the comics then I guess you'd have no idea.

But then if you don't follow the comics then his inclusion isn't a massive reveal anyway.

OMG where am I?

agrajag

Banned
We've entered dark times where talking about the cast of a movie is considered spoilers. People have become really oversensitive spoiler cry babies I've noticed, especially when it comes to comic book movies.

Tizoc

I'm watching season 1 of JoJo now, decided to test your theory and highlight that "spoiler"... nope, not a spoiler. Doesn't alter my enjoyment at all and doesn't give away any major plot points or ruin any suspense for me.

If you know about Cosmic Marvel I dunno how you could expect Thanos to not be in this movie.

My media blackout mentally extended to neglecting which characters would appear or have a high chance of appearing in the movie. I did not even expect to see
Ronan in the movie until I watched a recent trailer, but afterwards decided to watch no other trailer or any media relating to the movie

In the case of my example, any instance of later events or what characters would appear in the animated adaptation was treated as spoilers and should not be discussed if only very lightly. This is primarily for those that did not read the original manga.

His costume looks ridiculous in the movie. In fact,
that entire scene with him and Ronan felt off
. The CG isn't great.

Incredible movie though, probably the best Marvel I've seen so far.

Movie spoilers up there by the way.

Hey guys, stop the spoiler whining. There is no spoiler. Don't be dumbasses. The only potential "spoiler" here is revealing how he actually looks. Which you are free to not click on the thread if you don't want to know. Thanos being in the movie? That's not a spoiler, it's something they've been actively promoting and talking about. :p

Didn't see it in the trailers, not everyone follows every little detail about what some company is promoting or talking about.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I mean...

Gamora is his adopted Daughter, so a movie that's introducing Gamora will probably have Thanos anyway?

But then if you don't follow the comics then his inclusion isn't a massive reveal anyway.

OMG where am I?
And, again as someone who's actually seen the movie,
his role isn't that big. He's a driver of various plot elements, most notably Gamora naturally, but he's in no way the "villain" of the film

...but the spoiler content is from the manga (the anime is based on/adapting) and is known by anyone who read the manga. One who follows the animated adaptation only would not know about said character.
How would it be any different that promo material that one could not have followed/watched or avoided watching?

um yeah its from the MANGA, it's common knowledge to keep manga and anime seperate, it's been established since forever, it's why we have a thread for each.

if the anime promotional material revealed said info, then it's fair game for anime watchers to talk about, if they didn't then yeah try and be nice and don't talk about manga only things unless you want a ban.

if you want to go in blind then its on you to avoid any promotional stuff and to avoid manga talk, not to expect every other person on the planet to treat you special.

and for the record im currently watch JoJo season 3 and am not bothered in the least by that "spoiler".

This is so completely different that I can't believe you would even make the comparison. Did they announce who the killer was in a press release?
Once again this is why this mindset is ruining discussion. So yeah you didn't even answer my question so I assume you dont have one.

fanboi

Banned

I mean...

OMG where am I?

I would consider it a massive reveal since he is in the post ending scene and all you see is his face which make him mysterious.

I don't followe the comic btw.

What do you people mean "follow every detail"? Do you not go on yahoo, msn, AOL, uproxx, io9, any damn website that reports news? I didn't google jobs brolin wondering what he's been up to, it was on the news. Things that are on the news can't be spoilers, sweet Jesus.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Thanos looks pretty good. His armor is a little more ornate than I expected, but it will probably look better in motion and on screen as compared to a crappy cell capture.

As for the spoiler crowd exploding in this thread, Holy Shit. If you don't want to know, then don't click on the thread? As for the title spoiling him even being in the movie, how can anyone looking forward to seeing GotG not know by now that Thanos is in GotG? Marvel announced it long ago, it's been in many articles about the movie, it's not a secret by any means...?

This is like saying that in Breaking Bad
Walter White cooks meth
is a spoiler. Actually, it's not even like that, it's less than that....

This is so completely different that I can't believe you would even make the comparison. Did they announce who the killer was in a press release?

Sorry, sorry. Would it make you feel better if I told you that
Quaritch returns from the dead
in the Avatar sequels since
Stephen Lang has been cast in all three sequels?

marrec

Banned
I would consider it a massive reveal since he is in the post ending scene and all you see is his face which make him mysterious.

I don't followe the comic btw.

If you don't follow the comic then definitely don't read that spoiler which is actually a massive spoiler. (That has already been spoiled by various Marvel releases anyway...)

But you know nothing about his character right? You just know he's got a Jay Leno chin and was the architect behind The Avengers alien invasion. So seeing a still of him in GotG when it's been confirmed by Marvel for months doesn't seem like it's actually spoiling anything as he's just a character in the movie.

Nothing about knowing that Thanos is is the movie actually spoils anything that happens IN THE MOVIE. It could be a flashback, or a video, or a picture of Thanos sitting in a chair in some bar. Who knows!

All I know now is that Thanos dresses like shit and still looks badass.

Sorry, sorry. Would it make you feel better if I told you that
Quaritch returns from the dead
in the Avatar sequels since
Stephen Lang has been cast in all three sequels?

Honestly I wouldn't give a shit.
Ill keep asking the question. What should this thread title have been?

NekoFever

We've entered dark times where talking about the cast of a movie is considered spoilers. People have become really oversensitive spoiler cry babies I've noticed, especially when it comes to comic book movies.

Particularly funny since most of the machinations from comic book movies have been out there for years. My brother was teasing me about some major event in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 when he saw it before me, and I said: "Let me guess.
Gwen gets pushed off something high by the Green Goblin, Spider-Man tries to save her with a web, but she breaks her neck
?" which is basically exactly what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom