• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Themes incoming for PS4 2.0 and PSVita 3.30

Cheska

I have completely even forgotten about Vita themes since so many of them have been available online. Great to see official ones coming along now :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just hit me, think some of the themes will change the BGM as well? Would be nice to have a new sound for selecting an app/game on the Vita.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
groan
the fact that they are only saying themes and not "custom background colors or images" seems to mean it's stock theme or paid theme. no changing the bg on your own
Background color and custom backgrounds were options dumped under Theme Settings on PS3/PSP, if they're adding them to PS4 they'll probably be options for the stock theme.

erawsd

Did they confirm whether this is all user moddable? Or will it just be packaged themes that will likely need to be paid for?

Thank god. It doesn't feel right being able to rock a The Order theme on my PS3 but not on my PS4.

Now I just hope there are an ample number of options right away.

3DS has custom themes announced friday, Vita gets custom themes the next monday

Once again Nintendo innovates and Sony copies

this is a joke, don't all jump on me at once.

I can't express my excitement/joy in words, so here is a picture of the first google image result for happy.
happy.jpeg

Yes. YES.

I have been more than ready.

Hell, I'll start taking requests now.

The Last of Us, The Evil Within, Bloodborne, Infamous: SS/FL, Driveclub, Soul Sacrifice, Persona 4 Golden, Tearaway, Killzone Mercenary, Resident Evil

^_^

So many suggestion I have!

reminder

Thinking about it, i want a RIME theme even more than another Flower theme! Something like this:

with flying seagulls and moving grass and water. Something like this would be my PS4 theme for years
and i'd even be willing to pay for that

Poly-Gons

Neo Member
Finally ..

I hope you can change the shape of the icons on the vita.
I can't stand the bubble anymore ....

Folders on PS4 ?

ZarraN

Banned
I think this is a big mistake. Just look on how Microsoft evolved from BLADES to NXE to Dashboard. I'm not saying I preferred this interfaces over XMB but the XMB didn't evolve at all over the years except from minor changes. One of the reasons were probably because they need to continue support custom themes.

I would have preferred new features.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think this is a big mistake. Just look on how Microsoft evolved from BLADES to NXE to Dashboard. I'm not saying I preferred this interfaces over XMB but the XMB didn't evolve at all over the years except from minor changes. One of the reasons were probably because they need to continue support custom themes.

This is not a either/or situation.

Customization is just another feature. A much requested one, at that. There's plenty of stuff in the pipeline.

hawk2025

You pretty much contradict your own point -- themes were available on Xbox and discarded as needed for the new interfaces.

Liamario

Banned
Personally, this sort of thing is on the low end of the list. They need to fix things like the sharing feature first. This hasn't worked properly since launch and it's disgraceful that it still hasn't been fixed.

You pretty much contradict your own point -- themes were available on Xbox and discarded as needed for the new interfaces.

He's saying the UI was not able to evolve like 360's did due to the need to continue supporting the custom themes, while MS basically said "fuck it" and dropped themes despite people paying for them.…I think that was his point?

btags

Cool that they are coming to vita as well. Does anyone know if that would have a negative effect on battery life?

Kuni

Looks great! Happy with the speed of these updates (xbone updates are insanely fast by normal standards).

Love that when you go up to the pseudo-xmb that the theme goes up to. Very nice.

ZarraN

Banned
He's saying the UI was not able to evolve like 360's did due to the need to continue supporting the custom themes, while MS basically said "fuck it" and dropped themes despite people paying for them.…I think that was his point?

Yes this was my point. I don't remember how people reacted when they couldn't use there themes on the X360. But I know that it would have caused a huge shit storm if the support was taken way on the PS3 since some of them were pretty expensive.

(The only reason themes are being added is because it will generate huge amount of profits at small risk).

I don't know how the themes will be build but if the icons are not automatically generated with custom shaders they would need to rebuild every single theme when a new top level (notifications, friends, messages, party ...) or a generic game feed (What's New, TV & Video, Library) icon is added.

emko

damn hope this does not mean they will stick to this UI for the rest of the PS4 life if they start to sell these themes.

damn hope this does not mean they will stick to this UI for the rest of the PS4 life if they start to sell these themes.

I dont get this type of thinking. Of course they're going to stay with it. They aren't going to build a system UI then just decide to change it later on. lol

Taker34

Banned
Good news but I hope that they will allow custom (maybe certified) themes. Being dependent on official PSN content didn't work last gen for me (no Mass Effect themes, avatar pictures).
People will probably massively beg if their favorite design isn't available... and I can fully understand that:
I need a Ghost in the Shell theme. Can Sony fulfil my request? Can they?

Hidden surprise answer: No.

Yes. YES.

I have been more than ready.

Hell, I'll start taking requests now.
My first thought upon seeing this thread was "I hope m0dus sees this!"

Would love to see a good Destiny theme. If Activision were smart they'd already be talking to you about it.

Top Bottom