• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dispelling the lies about Jim Ryan

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

No, it does not hurt. But if I'll not get exclusives, why should I care about a overpriced plastic box that will not have hardware upgrades and I'll have to pay to play online, while I can have multiplayer for free on PC?
gaming console is overprice? lol what?
This is coming from a gamer that owns two gaming PC with PS2 - PS5.

Last edited:
You do hold a CEO responsible for a corporation actions. It's his responsibility to execute.

hopefully more gamers jump on the 3 years GP conversion hack. it's great value! forget about jimbo and his nonsense.

please spread the message!

I would rather pay the subscription. It's worth it.

I did a one year gold conversion and feel bad about it.

Keihart

What I find funny is that we know so little about PlayStation's future plans yet we have meltdown threads like this and many others calling Jim Ryan a hack or idiot for ruining PlayStation.

I swear, GAF has been a goldmine for LOL's for me these past few weeks. The carnival of stupid continues...

tenor.gif

There must be cheap drugs on sale somewhere cause it's been like this for the past few weeks. Jim Ryan threads popping up everywhere.
I don't think many people have claimed that he ruined PlayStation...i do see a lot of agreement in that he is in the process of doing it tho.

If this is your take what is your take on MS and Phil lol. Completely screwed up Halo which they were clearly depending on to carry them for a year + with barely any first party after that. Have had to walk back the most powerful console comment and they seem to be basically on par with eachother. If they hadnt had to have the larger MS corporation bail out their poor mismanagement XBOX as a brand with an 8 BILLION dollar studio acquisiton.. would prob be dead and never catching up to PS and Nintendo. Its great things are on gamepass but they would have been on the system regardless so...its not like people are GAINING new games only thing that changes is how much you might possibly pay.
My biggest issue with ms...and probably most people’s is waiting for the first party games to hit
But you can’t fault him on making the best possible hardware for gaming with a properly functioning operating system with some cool b/c support....and then there is...gamepass...which I don’t really need to go into but at the moment there is certainly more to do as a gamer on the Xbox than there is the ps5

Once those studios start dropping those exclusive games Xbox will probably begin to claw back that user base that deserted the Xbox one to PlayStation simply because Jim Ryan has been sitting on his hands for 3 years and the trickle of 1 or 2 exclusive titles at full price is not enticing enough

Dlacy13g

Dear OP... please see Don Matrick for gaming execs hated more than Jim Ryan. Now wipe your tears and understand the hate Ryan gets is valid fanboy crazy. It's just what happens when the exec of your favorite platform has made questionable statements for the future its gaming.

Hugare

Imagine putting the time in to go to bat for a multi-millionaire CEO of a gaming company on an enthusiast gaming forum that has a dedicated Butt Thread.

Sony die-hards are really not handling this generation well so far.
Start viewing it as an enthusiastic butt forum that has a dedicated gaming section and suddenly everything will click

Airbus Jr

Banned
I will speak positively of him when he can delivers at least 1 or 2 great new IP this gen..until then..see you latter jim..

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Dear OP... please see Don Matrick for gaming execs hated more than Jim Ryan. Now wipe your tears and understand the hate Ryan gets is valid fanboy crazy. It's just what happens when the exec of your favorite platform has made questionable statements for the future its gaming.
Nonsense his mistakes is a legitimate concern to anyone paying attention

Otherwise people wouldnt be making any thread and shitting on him

You cant ignore the mistake hes done and pretend nothing happened

Its no coincidence ever since ps5 release / he took charges there not a single positive news coming from the blue camp

Last edited:

Cyborg

If you look at the facts Jim is doing a great job but imo its a succes in disguise.

He is leaning to much on the succes of the PS4. I think he has taken a lot of wise decisions (from a business point of view) but made a lot of ''enemies'' in the community. In the end Jim is to traditional in his ways (old gen leader) that is just missing the train to connect with the audience. I think Jack Tretton and Shwan Layden were more aware of the community and how to reach them.

Redlancet

Banned
What polls? Twitter?

If Sony offered a Game Pass equivalent on PS5 that offered all of their PS4, PS5 and even upgraded legacy titles on a single service literally every Sony fan here would be fucking singing from the rooftops.

This "game ownership" bullshit is only to damage control until Sony comes up with something. You don't own any game you purchase on PS5, $70 or not.
Sorry son, but this discourse of yours its pretty stupid and false, i own red dead redemption 2 i buyed it at full price and can play right now, you cant do the same with gamepass (lasted four months there) so yes, i own the game

LMJ

Nonsense his mistakes is a legitimate concern to anyone paying attention

Otherwise people wouldnt be making any thread and shitting on him

You cant ignore the mistake hes done and pretend nothing happened

Its no coincidence ever since ps5 release / he took charges there not a single positive news coming from the blue camp

I agree wholeheartedly that Ryan deserves criticism for the sloppy closure of the PS3/Vita shops (again from a busniess point it makes sense to close them as they are likely NOT generating profit) and the continued censorship, restructuring etc

The point of the thread is hyperbole like this isn't accurate though...

The PS5 is selling out faster than they can supply it, the dualsense is also continually in the top ten sellers and Miles Morales, Demons Souls and numerous games on the V are currently selling millions. The entirety of the PSv shows was basically the words exclusive, or with "timed" in front of it, we are about to get Returnal (seriously Ryan lower the price) and the next Ratchet...

There is LOTS of positive news, but it's drowned out by MS purchasing Zenimax and the strong continued support of Gamepass (The show21 being their newest feather in the cap) not to mention the restructuring of Sony in Japan (what many gamers knew them for) ah to return to the heydays of PS1/PS2 Japan

ps4 playstation GIF

Sorry son, but this discourse of yours its pretty stupid and false, i own red dead redemption 2 i buyed it at full price and can play right now, you cant do the same with gamepass (lasted four months there) so yes, i own the game

I agree with your main point, but actually ever since the PS3/360 era you have discs with "licenses" not actual games :( Part of that lovely legalise that you sign when you update your PSN etc. So you own the license to RDR2...

now, I wouldn't worry about anything happening with that, but if Sony/MS/N wanted to they COULD brick your systems online clearance and a number of games wouldn't work is what I'm saying...

Last edited:

Roufianos

If you look at the facts Jim is doing a great job but imo its a succes in disguise.

He is leaning to much on the succes of the PS4. I think he has taken a lot of wise decisions (from a business point of view) but made a lot of ''enemies'' in the community. In the end Jim is to traditional in his ways (old gen leader) that is just missing the train to connect with the audience. I think Jack Tretton and Shwan Layden were more aware of the community and how to reach them.
Didn't Xbox have its most successful period in the early Mattrick years?

Give it a few years, things will probably keep getting worse and worse under Ryan. Guy's a dinosaur.

zedinen

No need to defend a businessman, OP.

That said, what separates Ryan from Kutaragi is execution.

Ken, a visionary leader capable of building the business from scratch, failed to execute his plan in the mid 2000s and was removed immediately.

With Ryan at the helm, the consensus among investors is that Sony executed its plan flawlessly in the midst of the pandemic (hardware, content and services), positioning PS5 to reach the critical mass very soon.

The market is discounting PS5 reaching PS2 levels of dominance (Sony stock has risen 33% since PS5 launch) . But not everyone is happy and they're mobilizing friends to manufacture a non-stop barrage of "bad news".

And that's how the "Playstation man bad" was born.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think this is key here...

MLB on Game Pass doesn't really show how much of a fuckup Jim Ryan is, it shows how savvy the Xbox team is being. No matter how much Phil says Sony isn't their competition this is a direct stab at the chest from Xbox to Playstation. In doing this, it shows how absurdly high game prices are versus being on a platform with a GP subscription. It shines a spotlight on why people should use Game Pass. Brilliant move on team Xbox's part IMO.

No, it really shows how much MS is willing to lose money on the front-end; in order to build up a gaming service for the long haul. Games are very expensive to make now. People need to lose their entitlement and realize this.

Pull n Pray

Banned
You are right. He never specifically said PS5 games would not release on PS4 as well. In fact, I can't even find the question that his "we believe in generations" quote was an answer to. Does anyone even know what he was asked? But multitudes of crappy journalists presented his words to mean that PS5 would not be cross gen. And he didn't correct them. So he was either OK with PlayStation fans being misinformed, or he pays so little attention that he didn't even know they were misinformed. Either way, he deserves criticism for this.

Recently, Phil Spencer made a statement about Bethesda games exclusivity that was seemingly meant to convey that the vast majority of Bethesda games would be exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem, with a few exceptions due to contractural or legacy reasons. If it turns out that the only Bethesda game exclusive in the next few years is Starfield, and that Elder Scrolls VI, Fallout 5, Wolfenstein 3, Dishonored 3...etc all come to PS5 due to those series having a "legacy" on PS4, then people will rightly feel deceived. But when you ask vague questions, you get vague answers. It would be nice if the next time Phil Spencer is interviewed, someone simply asks him, "Will Elder Scrolls VI be released on PS5?"

• Strength
Reactions: LMJ
Jim Ryan is corporate, in that, he will always do what is best for Sony and the brand from a financial perspective. If those decisions cross over with being good for the consumer, then good for him and Sony. If those decisions aren't popular, he's the devil.

Though, comparing his level of "persecution" to Don Mattrick, who actually was a huge piece of crap, is silly.

no lies. i don't feel hopeful with jim so far.
besides he is as dry as a UK ox.

kutaragi has more gamer personality than jimbo.

search YT for kutaragi and giantbomb or kutaragi with Tekken director cafe
Kutaragi was a fun personality.
But he also almost bankrupted Sony. Not just PlayStation, he almost caused the whole fucking company to die.

Being a fun, marketable individual doesn't make you a good leader.

thelastword

Banned
All i see is them Xbox fanboys are desperate to see a Mattrick situation. 😂
Or worse a Phil situation.....Jim Ryan has been racking wins for PlayStation from times immemorial....Jim does not talk about things, he gets things done....Believe him when he said PS5 will usher the new gen, it has already started with Demon Souls and Jim knows what he has cooking from PlayStation Studios for this generation....He knows he has several 90+ game and GOTY's in the bag just waiting to unleash on the hungry gaming masses who yearn and will pay $70 for top quality, high production value games....He knows he will be tired of counting those bills when this gen is through...

Aroll

I'll say this for ryan - the PS5 exclusive games thing came more from Media than from him. Though sometimes the media paraphrases things without using direct quotes - which is why it's really hard to know EXACTLY what he was referencing unless we were in the room for that interview.

That being said, I think this is also the least reason anyone is really upset about him. I think the media is partly to blame, but so is Jim Ryan. He just doesn't come across as a likable person. Kaz was beloved in the industry. Jim Ryan has never been able to swing that sort of favor. Nintendo actually has a similar issue, where Iwata was so beloved, that Furukawa doesn't really get the benefit of the doubt.

also, like Furukawa, I don't think Ryan is going anywhere. Regardless of articles existing saying it's time to move on - Sony's game division is incredibly successful. I don't think he goes anywhere unless it flops.

Last edited:

LMJ

No need to defend a businessman, OP.

That said, what separates Ryan from Kutaragi is execution.

Ken, a visionary leader capable of building the business from scratch, failed to execute his plan in the mid 2000s and was removed immediately.

With Ryan at the helm, the consensus among investors is that Sony executed its plan flawlessly in the midst of the pandemic (hardware, content and services), positioning PS5 to reach the critical mass very soon.

The market is discounting PS5 reaching PS2 levels of dominance (Sony stock has risen 33% since PS5 launch) . But not everyone is happy and they're mobilizing friends to manufacture a non-stop barrage of "bad news".

And that's how the "Playstation man bad" was born.
Ryan is very much a stuffed shirt corporate CEO, man has a great history with the company, but like you said he lacks

Presentation GIF

You are right. He never specifically said PS5 games would not release on PS4 as well. In fact, I can't even find the question that his "we believe in generations" quote was an answer to. Does anyone even know what he was asked? But multitudes of crappy journalists presented his words to mean that PS5 would not be cross gen. And he didn't correct them. So he was either OK with PlayStation fans being misinformed, or he pays so little attention that he didn't even know they were misinformed. Either way, he deserves criticism for this.

Recently, Phil Spencer made a statement about Bethesda games exclusivity that was seemingly meant to convey that the vast majority of Bethesda games would be exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem, with a few exceptions due to contractural or legacy reasons. If it turns out that the only Bethesda game exclusive in the next few years is Starfield, and that Elder Scrolls VI, Fallout 5, Wolfenstein 3, Dishonored 3...etc all come to PS5 due to those series having a "legacy" on PS4, then people will rightly feel deceived. But when you ask vague questions, you get vague answers. It would be nice if the next time Phil Spencer is interviewed, someone simply asks him, "Will Elder Scrolls VI be released on PS5?"

Yeah time will tell with this, I get Phil wants to support the Box, but leaving the PS out of their sales plans for something as big as Starfield still seems a tad suspect, I think Phil used vague talk for a good reason

I'll say this for ryan - the PS5 exclusive games thing came more from Media than from him. Though sometimes the media paraphrases things without using direct quotes - which is why it's really hard to know EXACTLY what he was referencing unless we were in the room for that interview.

That being said, I think this is also the least reason anyone is really upset about him. I think the media is partly to blame, but so is Jim Ryan. He just doesn't come across as a likable person. Kaz was beloved in the industry. Jim Ryan has never been able to swing that sort of favor. Nintendo actually has a similar issue, where Iwata was so beloved, that Furukawa doesn't really get the benefit of the doubt.

also, like Furukawa, I don't think Ryan is going anywhere. Regardless of articles existing saying it's time to move on - Sony's game division is incredibly successful. I don't think he goes anywhere unless it flops.

yeah but that's always been the case...

Halo Killer for Haze (they never stated that)
Toy story graphics for PS2
PS3 could guide scud missiles
Xbox would SPY on people
and of course the Killzone 2 trailer being real time...

Just to name a few

Aroll

Ryan is very much a stuffed shirt corporate CEO, man has a great history with the company, but like you said he lacks

Presentation GIF

Yeah time will tell with this, I get Phil wants to support the Box, but leaving the PS out of their sales plans for something as big as Starfield still seems a tad suspect, I think Phil used vague talk for a good reason

yeah but that's always been the case...

Halo Killer for Haze (they never stated that)
Toy story graphics for PS2
PS3 could guide scud missiles
Xbox would SPY on people
and of course the Killzone 2 trailer being real time...

Just to name a few
Always been an issue really.

I at least will say none of them pulled what CD Projekt Red did with Cyberpunk. Talk about faking it.

LMJ

lol yeah, but they covered their ass with the "early footage subject to change" disclaimer.

Can we just have publishers show off a playable section of their game running on ACTUAL hardware that's within realistic expectations? It's what the devs want, they're the ones who keep getting screwed over by this bullshit! (well the gamers do to, but we don't learn)

I have been gaming well before the Playstation was even a consideration, and I can't recall when a person...a single person has recieved the bile and hatred as much as Jim Ryan the current head of playstation, and yes that includes Mattrick and his silliness.

Ryan is being blamed for everything as if he's a madman pulling switches on his office wall like "kill Japanese support" and " make every PS title PC too", but people seem to either forget or ignore many a thing when it comes to this guy, so I thought maybe a thread that clears up some of the BS regarding Ryan's policies might be due if only to counter the fifty saying how he is gaming Hitler 2.0.

Let me be frank, I am currently VERY pissed with Sony due to the store closures, shutting down the webstore FORCING me to use the PS3 and Vita stores to purchase my games, so much in fact I am genuinely considering hacking both systems as a way to ensure my data is safe and get around Sony's shitty OS (seriously how many times do I need to RE-register my systems so I can use PSN Sony?!? That and the catering to the woke crap and the BS censorship has me leaning Anti-Sony as of late and don't even get me started on the 80 DOLLAR HIKE#@%$#%$@, but the hyperbole man OY it's bad,

#1 RYAN NEVER SAID THERE WOULDN'T BE CROSS-GEN GAMES

Ryan stated the following
, “We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.”
"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

That having been said, it was followed up by this

"We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan said. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s."

While potentially disingenuous, at no point did Ryan state the PS4 was to be forgotten (the opposite in fact) and we're ignoring the actual PS5 exclusives both here and coming soon

#2 JAPAN STUDIOS WAS STARTING TO DOWNSIZE BEFORE THE PS5 AND RYAN'S CONTROL BEGAN

Look, I'll be the first to admit that the recent news from Japan studios is disheartening, but the writings been on the wall for a while, after the Last guardian this has sadly become a trend and not only for Sony...
traditional gaming is dying in japan and mobile markets are king, Nintendo has proven that it can still hang in their homeland sales wise, but lets not pretend this isn't due to the Switches mobile capability. Japan studio's games simply aren't selling at home or abroad at necessary levels and those leaving are doing so by choice, it's not lay offs or firings its leaving to explore new options.

#3 JAPAN STUDIO'S IS NOT CLOSING, BUT RESTRUCTURING

Okay so the option is stay on with the team you know so well, but potentially work on something you're not feeling at all (let's be honest Astro Bots is great, but could you see some of these creative directors working on it?) Sounds like Sony is leaning into Astrobot hard and focusing less on the niche market, not saying there won't still be creative games, but that's news only the future will tell.

#4 THE PC SHIFT WAS STARTING WHEN HOUSE WAS STILL IN CHARGE

While it's true that hose stated that the PC and not the Xbox was Playstations greatest competition, it's also true that numerous games started to launch with PC cross-play and Exclusives such as street fighter were also released on the PC. Ryan may have accelerated the movement, but it was still underway before he took over.

#5 THE GAMES BEING ON PC DOESN"T HURT THE PSV EXPERIENCE IN ANYWAY! (JUST DICKHAT BRAGGING RIGHTS)

this is by far the most annoying point, if the PC see's these games how is the playstation experience hurt? Thus far the games have come out well after their original release... (whiny voice) "but the PC version comes with extra graphical features and modes" No shit sherlock, they're trying to get another sale out of it (PS IS a business after all) just like a deluxe edition the point is to make it desirable, and those with NICE PC's want to squeeze all the graphical juice they can from their beasts.

#6 THE SHOW GOING TO THE BOX IS PROOF THAT RYAN IS A SHITHEAD AND TERRIBLE PRESIDENT (Sign my petition)

No, it's proof the MLB (Major League Baseball) screwed Sony's studio and basically forced them to go Multi-plat, it's not even published by Sony on the Box, but the MLB. MS was brilliant to put it on Gamepass though lol X

#7 RYAN IS A CENSOR NAZI, CENSORING EVERYTHING AND IT STARTED WITH HIM!!!

Nope, well sort of anyway (a partial truth I guess) I despise censorship and while it's continued under him, that shit started in 2016-2017 with Japanese niche games, and it's only gotten worse, blame the woke "save the children" REEE crowd, but only partly blame Ryan if you must. (like I said that shits still going strong sadly)

and lastly a bonus one

#80085 :p IF YOU GIVE RYAN CREDIT FOR THE ALL THE SHIT, THEN YOU HAVE TO GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR ALL THE AWESOME! (it's only fair)

let's be honest here, Ryan likely isn't responsible for half of the shit that he gets blamed for, a President and CEO is dealing with a lot of shit and thus hires trustworthy people under them to make decisions, the same applies here, but hey...it's only fair

DEMON'S SOULS REMAKE - (cue Fry meme) So generous J.R

FINALLY BEING ABLE TO BUY OUR PLUS GAMES - Thanks Ryan

PS PLUS COLLECTION - Jim, you so nice to us :messenger_heart:

PLAY AT HOME INITIATIVE (Many free games) - Ryan san how did you know?

ASTROBOT ON EVERY V - A marketing ploy for the DualSense, a great game? Jim Ryan says "why not both"

THE DUALSENSE - Master Ryan feels your satisfaction

TWO DIFFERENT SKUS...SAME POWER - Ryan says no to a SERIESuS predicament (get it) :lollipop_tongue:

PS4 BC IS PRETTY MUCH FLAWLESS - Jim knows about great BC afterall (and shut up Box fans, nobody asked you)

ps4 playstation GIF

Okay, now that we've gotten that stupidity out of the way can we go back to arguing about which system has a minor resolution lead or a few frames advantage...you know like the civil forum we are :D
Lmao. So why did sony made the game for Xbox though? Don't you have some proud ?

What about raising the prices to $70? Not worth mentioning?

Obviously PC ports don't hurt your PS experience? How could it? That's the most idiotic take you could take on it.

What it hurts is your decision to buy a PS5 when you could just play the games on your PC. Is that so hard to understand?

And finally, we're back to hyping DualSense? It's just a fucking controller with better rumble.

Last edited:

Mabdia

gaming console is overprice? lol what?
This is coming from a gamer that owns two gaming PC with PS2 - PS5.

Yes, it is. Or do you think that the BD drive on PS5 cost U$100? 430 or even 450 for the version with a BD reader on PS5 could be a good price, when you think that a diskless cost 399 USD.

I can build a PC without taking everything at same time. So I can make it easy to get betters parts. Also, when you put the price that you pay to play online, it makes the console price a scale up. Let's imagine 5 years, that makes U$300. On PC I don't have to pay it to play online.

Also, when building a PC, I can scale it to my needs. So I can even spend less money while building it. In the end of the Day, one way I can get a closed platform that looks like is losing it's lore, and I have to pay even more to use it for complete.

The other one, I can build it accordingly to my needs, I have access to mods and there is not the Sony Soy force, censoring what I will consume (Still remember DMC5 censorship and others), and that payed wall to play online does no exist. Also, looks like the games are U$10 cheaper. Not to mention that I can use a PC for myriad of things.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
gaf honest question..

this jim ryan shit

are you all rick and morty fans? and playing some 4d chess right now?

Weak minded individuals are prone to making things up, another case in point, the supposed LOU2 controversy. I bet the majority of these wankers are in the JR Haters club

LMJ

Lmao. So why did sony made the game for Xbox though? Don't you have some proud ?

What about raising the prices to $70? Not worth mentioning?

Obviously PC ports don't hurt your PS experience? How could it? That's the most idiotic take you could take on it.

What it hurts is your decision to buy a PS5 when you could just play the games on your PC. Is that so hard to understand?

And finally, we're back to hyping DualSense? It's just a fucking controller with better rumble.
#1 yup here you go Skippy

(I did post a link btw)

#2 read the red text at the top (color coded as red means anger) here I'll assist

"Let me be frank, I am currently VERY pissed with Sony due to the store closures, shutting down the webstore FORCING me to use the PS3 and Vita stores to purchase my games, so much in fact I am genuinely considering hacking both systems as a way to ensure my data is safe and get around Sony's shitty OS (seriously how many times do I need to RE-register my systems so I can use PSN Sony?!? That and the catering to the woke crap and the BS censorship has me leaning Anti-Sony as of late and don't even get me started on the 80 DOLLAR HIKE#@%$#%$@, but the hyperbole man OY it's bad

#3 not really,, Sony still sees profit from the sale, plus they might still sell a PS5 to PC advocates whom don't want to wait for a port, just ask our own VFXVeteran VFXVeteran

#4 are you people trolling me at this point?? The final point is meant to be a joke...own a standard calculater? Input 80085, I mean what part of "Master Ryan "feels" your satisfaction" sounds legitimate? (Feels...rumble...GET IT?)
Did you just steal the finish him animation from mortal Kombat?
Nah, thats this one

Ren And Stimpy Nicksplat GIF by NickRewind

Last edited:
#1 yup here you go Skippy

(I did post a link btw)

#2 read the red text at the top (color coded as red means anger) here I'll assist

"Let me be frank, I am currently VERY pissed with Sony due to the store closures, shutting down the webstore FORCING me to use the PS3 and Vita stores to purchase my games, so much in fact I am genuinely considering hacking both systems as a way to ensure my data is safe and get around Sony's shitty OS (seriously how many times do I need to RE-register my systems so I can use PSN Sony?!? That and the catering to the woke crap and the BS censorship has me leaning Anti-Sony as of late and don't even get me started on the 80 DOLLAR HIKE#@%$#%$@, but the hyperbole man OY it's bad

#3 not really,, Sony still sees profit from the sale, plus they might still sell a PS5 to PC advocates whom don't want to wait for a port, just ask our own VFXVeteran VFXVeteran

#4 are you people trolling me at this point?? The final point is meant to be a joke...own a standard calculater? Input 80085, I mean what part of "Master Ryan "feels" your satisfaction" sounds legitimate? (Feels...rumble...GET IT?)

Nah, thats this one

Ren And Stimpy Nicksplat GIF by NickRewind
Sure, why would I buy a PS5 if I can play it on pc already?

And what part of Sony agreed to develop the game for Xbox you don't get?

LMJ

And what part of Sony agreed to develop the game for Xbox you don't get?

Again I covered this, because as it currently stands you can't get PS exclusives on PC on launch day, Days Gone and Horizon ZD are over 2/3 years old...Sony may change that, but thats the situation today.

No, Sony says MLB forced their hand here, Sony has the only real MLB game and rumors as early as Dec suggested MLB would force Sony to make it multi plat...

Thats why its published by MLB on the Box, if Sony was willing why not publish?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Your statement *may* be true several years from now but I don't think it will be the case that day-and-date releases occur to PC anytime soon. Moreover, we really aren't sure which games will get ported to PC. If you don't really care about what's out now on PS only, then yea, I guess you can wait. For me personally though, I had to have the PS5 because I am not waiting for *certain* games. Once the PC gets in lock step with PS5 releases, of course it wouldn't make sense to keep the PS5/6 any longer.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: LMJ

Loxus

during his time as head of SIE Europe we saw the closure of a number of European studios including studio Liverpool and Evolution, both incredibly short sighted moves. Wipeout was a core part of PlayStation's identity and Evolution should have been used to form a forza horizon style spin off to their traditional Forza competitor GT. As soon as he becomes head of SIE we see the closure of their most interesting studio, Japan studio would have been key in the coming years when everything shifts to gamepass style services where variety and originality is key. They have successfully erased a massive part of their identity and he was in key positions for each one of these decisions.
Do you know Xbox closed many studios or is this some kind of agenda against PlayStation?
Xbox Game Studios
Closed or consolidated
Sold or spun off

Last edited:

Spacefish

Do you know Xbox closed many studios or is this some kind of agenda against PlayStation?
This is about 1 guy not the entire company, I'm not defending Microsoft's shitty history. The difference is Microsoft's closures weren't all tied to the same guy and often had much more complicated circumstances.

Lets look through that list at the notable departures and closures (the rest seem to have been shovel ware, Kinect or port house devs):
  • bungie: wasn't closed, allowed to become independent of their own free will
  • Twisted pixel: also allowed to become independent
  • Digital Anvil: Chris Roberts was taking the piss back in the 90s just like he is right now, the studio closed after his departure and the infamously shitty brute force
  • Lionhead: Peter moleneux left of his own volition and the studio floundered in his absence
Now their worst mistakes
  • Ensemble studios
  • Microsoft flight simulator devs
  • Mech warrior devs
who was responsible for these particularly dumb decisions? oh look its don mattrick, the guy who almost killed Xbox and who everybody justifiably hates. There is no double standard here, people who make shitty decisions purely based on short term profit should be recognised for the soulless corporate cancer they are. Actually, looking back at Microsoft's history they weren't even that bad, only ensemble is on the level of japan studio, evolution or studio liverpool.

Last edited:

Loxus

This is about 1 guy not the entire company, I'm not defending Microsoft's shitty history. The difference is Microsoft's closures weren't all tied to the same guy and often had much more complicated circumstances.

Lets look through that list at the notable departures and closures (the rest seem to have been shovel ware, Kinect or port house devs):
  • bungie: wasn't closed, allowed to become independent of their own free will
  • Twisted pixel: also allowed to become independent
  • Digital Anvil: Chris Roberts was taking the piss back in the 90s just like he is right now, the studio closed after his departure and the infamously shitty brute force
  • Lionhead: Peter moleneux left of his own volition and the studio floundered in his absence
Now their worst mistakes
  • Ensemble studios
  • Microsoft flight simulator devs
  • Mech warrior devs
who was responsible for these particularly dumb decisions? oh look its don mattrick, the guy who almost killed Xbox and who everybody justifiably hates. There is no double standard here, people who make shitty decisions purely based on short term profit should be recognised for the soulless corporate cancer they are. Actually, looking back at Microsoft's history they weren't even that bad, only ensemble is on the level of japan studio, evolution or studio liverpool.
So, do you know why those PlayStation studios were closed or are you just running with the internet bs?
We have seen many video game studios have many divisions within them.

Who's to say the developers from those closed studios haven't gone to another PlayStation studio. E.g. Evolution Studios developers to Polyphony Digital.
Same for the Liverpool studio, as the Liverpool site is still in operation, and is home to a number of Sony World Wide Studios and SCEE Departments.
And Japan studio isn't closed and has two divisions.

SIE Worldwide Studios
Current Studios
-Bend Studio
-Guerrilla Games
-Insomniac Games
-Japan Studio
-London Studio
-Malaysia Studio
-Media Molecule
-Naughty Dog
-Pixelopus
-Polyphony Digital
-San Diego Studio
-San Mateo Studio
-Santa Monica Studio
-Sucker Punch Productions

Other divisions
-Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony's Worldwide Studios central technology groups.
-SIE XDev Europe, established in 2000 and based in Liverpool.

Former Studios
-Bigbig Studios
-Evolution Studios
-Guerrilla Cambridge
-Incognito Entertainment
-Manchester Studio
-Studio Liverpool
-Zipper Interactive

And you act like it's all Jim's decision when there are people above him.

Spacefish

So, do you know why those PlayStation studios were closed or are you just running with the internet bs?
We have seen many video game studios have many divisions within them.

Who's to say the developers from those closed studios haven't gone to another PlayStation studio. E.g. Evolution Studios developers to Polyphony Digital.
Same for the Liverpool studio, as the Liverpool site is still in operation, and is home to a number of Sony World Wide Studios and SCEE Departments.
And Japan studio isn't closed and has two divisions.

And you act like it's all Jim's decision when there are people above him.
We never know all the exact reasons for any studio closure unless we work there (and we still wouldn't know the whole story even if we did), some make sense and are more obvious from the outside, others are confusing. You speculate based on available evidence, If you hold absolute knowledge as a requirement then discussing anything becomes impossible. I don't parrot shit, I think about what I see and form an opinion.

Evolution was not absorbed by polyphony in any way, they were bought by codemasters before being shut down, psygnosis is dead, them having offices in Liverpool has nothing to do with having a game dev there. Japan studio had more than just the 2 studios listed on wikipedia, I have massive doubts that devs are actually being absorbed into Asobi, its PR spin to soften the blow. Asobi still holds value as a VR peripheral salesman but they aren't suddenly going to become a AAA Nintendo style platform dev. Positive critical reception to a niche VR game and a free demo is not justification for a massive increase in investment. These are all strange closures because of either an abnormal amount of talent or a decent sales record. Wipeout as a brand still had value, Sony would go on to remaster it on PS4 without the creators. Drive club was one of the best looking games on the system and would go on to sell more than 2 million copies, they had a solid history with motorstorm and enough talent that another publisher would seek to rescue them. Studio japan is an obvious waste of talent, I cant be bothered to go over what a crime their closure is, I've done it 50 times already.

This is not only about studio closures, there are also anti consumer moves being made. Only EA has made closures that are as seemingly short sighted. Jim Ryan is certainly not responsible for everything wrong with Sony but he was head of SIE europe during the close of 2 key European studios and is now head of SIE during the closure of all but a small team within japan studio. There are obvious signs of a power struggle within Sony and he is representative of everything we hate about EA or activision (not because of internet bullshit, but his own words, actions and the reactions of people who worked alongside him).

so what do you do? ignore all evidence pointing to the fact he's a soulless suit or live within the remaining doubts and pretend like he gives a shit about anything but money. By the time a ruthless CEO has ruined a company and collected his paycheque its too late to complain.

LMJ

The woke seem like happy people.
They are all but trained to find offense and abuse at every turn, when you look for any excuse for misery...well you know...

Same goes for the militant anti woke brigade btw, just different sources of misery.

Jim is a liar. Not as big as Phil Spencer but somewhere close. That doesn't mean he doesn't do a good job because figures are on his side so far. But he has taken some decisions that hurt the Playstation brand, IMO.

Jim's sins:

- Releasing games on PC: You don't screw with exclusives like that, without giving clear guidelines or intentions to PS fans. One of the Playstation 5 mottos is "the best place to play" and it's already been proven a lie. On PC Days Gone will have ultrawide support and other upgrades not available for PS5. Likewise, Death Stranding.

- Closing Japan Studio. Restructuring is the euphemism of choice for layoffs.

- The cross-gen games. I can understand WHY they are doing that but again, they said quite the opposite which factually is lying.

Time will tell if he is a good CEO for Playstation. What we know for certain is that his words are not to be trusted.

Bonus track: the rejection of Days Gone 2 is particularly disturbing. For fucks sake, you DON'T fire someone who has sold millions just because woke journos brought down your game on Metacritic. That is outrageous and makes the excuses for Japan Studio closure a more blatant lie.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Jim's sins:

- Releasing games on PC: You don't screw with exclusives like that, without giving clear guidelines or intentions to PS fans. One of the Playstation 5 mottos is "the best place to play" and it's already been proven a lie. On PC Days Gone will have ultrawide support and other upgrades not available for PS5. Likewise, Death Stranding.

Ummm Death Stranding was known to be on PC also from the start, the only thing that was known was that it was a console exclusive and would be out of PS4 first

- Closing Japan Studio. Restructuring is the euphemism of choice for layoffs.

Studio isn't closed. It still exists and Team Asobi are still working from within it.

- The cross-gen games. I can understand WHY they are doing that but again, they said quite the opposite which factually is lying.

No, he/they did not. He just offered a riposte to Spencer's "we don't believe in generations" line. It was never likely that Sony would just abandon 100m+ PS4 users because you simply don't do that when you have the market leading platform.

Bonus track: the rejection of Days Gone 2 is particularly disturbing. For fucks sake, you DON'T fire someone who has sold millions just because woke journos brought down your game on Metacritic. That is outrageous and makes the excuses for Japan Studio closure a more blatant lie.

Garvin left for other reasons than critical response. Try actually listening to his interview with Jaffe, he was gone before any decision was made as to whether to greenlight the sequel, and even were that to have happened he most likely wouldn't have been involved anyway.

So. 0/4. Congrats.

Radical_3d

If you are so old you’d remember that Nintendo went from innovating company to derivative shitshow because it’s fanbase was willing to forgive them no matter what they did wrong.

Top Bottom