• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Valve, you know it's HL2's 10th anniversary today, right?

Guile

Banned
From 4chan

>The 10th anniversary of Half-Life 2 arrives.
>Gaming has become a wasteland of DRM, Microtransactions, and Pre-order Bonuses.
>Social Justice Warriors have managed to force game companies to include trigger warnings on every game, and include at least one LGBTQ romance in every game or be forced to have their privilege violently checked.
>Gamers no longer have a say in what they play. All choices are dictated by corrupt Games Journalists.
>All the largest games companies have banded together to form a cartel which pushes out Indie Developers and forces their shitty business practices down the throats of helpless consumers.
>All hope seems lost.
>The last respectable game developer, Valve, has been silent for years.
>One day, as gamers wake up, drink their verification cans and log into their 30fps 720p locked consoles.
>The screen image distorts, and a picture of Gaben appears on the screen.
>Only widescreen monitors are large enough to show the whole picture
>He says nothing, but smiles gently, as a shepherd lovingly watching over his flock
>Suddenly he speaks, "My children, you have suffered long, and I have heard your cries. Be not afraid, for the time of your salvation is at hand."
>Everyone sings praises to Him and tears of joy are shed
>The execs at EA and Ubisoft are twirling their mustaches angrily and cursing.
>Gaben hold up his hand and raises three fingers
>"Half Life 3, Team Fortress 3, Portal 3, DOTA 3, Left 4 Dead 3, and Ricochet 3 are now all available on Steam for $3 each"
>The world has never known true joy until this moment.
>A thousand years of peace begins as old enemies lay down their weapons to play co-op together
>The huge, corrupt game developers go bankrupt and are forgotten
>Games Journalists load themselves into a rocket and aim it into the sun, fueled by their tears of regret
>Video Games is saved
;_;

gabe pls

Drencrom

fkLF9.gif

Is Laidlaw still updating that crazy Breen Twitter account?

And 2 things I am intersted in more then actually playing the game

Will we get a honest "making of" similar to what we got after HL2?

What will HL3 even be to be something Valve would want to release. I assume they are beyond the whole 8 hour story thing. Rumours of it being some kind of open world RPG sound interesting and I can also see it taking on some always conencted Destiny / Demons Souls stuff as well but who knows.

Mutombo

Isn't it great that a gaming company is completely independent of publishers? Stockholders maybe, but nobody is pushing them to show anything.

Even if talent has left, they have the money and the time to invest in new hired talent. I expect everybody at Valve loves working for games, and from the few tidbits I've read from Gabe's management I expect that love will eventually find it's way into new IP's. And existing ones.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
It's sad watching so many people who actually love half life and Valve say the franchise is dead and that they don't care and Valve doesn't care, etc...

Just accept you're sad, guys. ;~;

Let's hug.

In my opinion it's been too long to just release HL3. There is an entire generation of gamers that have never played any games in the series.

I've played them and I'm getting fuzzy on the details since it's been so long. Valve needs to reboot the series entirely and start over with a new engine and the drive to release games at a timely manner until the conclusion of the story.

I hope that's close to what's going on at valve.
I doubt it

Holy crap you're getting worked up over nothing. The game/series has been on sale plenty of times, not having a sale on the 10th anniversary is hardly some kind of diss to the fans. The games will probably be on sale in the black friday holiday deals in like 10 days and then the holiday sales later

I loved following Marc on twitter, and his account that was basically Breen's thoughts (I forgot the name). Why did he left?

He was spending too much time on it.

Holy crap you're getting worked up over nothing. The game/series has been on sale plenty of times, not having a sale on the 10th anniversary is hardly some kind of diss to the fans. The games will probably be on sale in the black friday holiday deals in like 10 days and then the holiday sales later

Stop focusing on the sale. This is not about the sale (just like how this also isn't about HL3 or them "not making games anymore"). I know a lot of people have it and it's been discounted multiple. But putting it up for one would have at least been a small recognition, an acknowledgement. But they didn't even pretend.

This isn't some random janitor over there and he had no idea?! There's no way they didn't know how much this meant to the fans. They're either out of touch with their fandom or simply don't care.

And not big on blowing their own horns? That's rich.

Top Bottom