• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Anth0ny

what the fuck did these kids do to their games?! just awful. i didn't keep my cardboard boxes either but damn, have some standards -_-'

seriously. it looks like some kids took bubble baths with their god damn snes games.

my n64 carts are pushing 16 years old and are all in damn near mint condition. always stored them in a small bin, still do.

There are a lot of fugly Mega Man X carts floating around for sure, but that's probably due to the fact that there's just so many copies of that game around and nobody wants them. I've come across so many shredded labeled copies of Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 and Super Mario World it's crazy.

Children are indeed a destructive force.

eXistor

I'm with you, very curious about it and I'm seriously considering buying a repro. I've never played it and I don't care about emulators... To those who've tried it, what did you think of it? (For the record I really enjoyed Illusion of Gaia.)

Personally, I think it's one of the great jrpg's of the time. It's got a very melancholic vibe throughout that I really dig, the combat is very breezy and satisfying and the music is amongst the best I've heard on snes.

IrishNinja

iVjnRocl25gx5.gif

stop the madness, people...please do not buy this

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I have that. Well, the PAL version at least. Wish I had the box though, but I don't see myself getting my hands on it ever.

I can't see the manual being more valuable than the game itself, but if that were the case I would sell the manual in a heartbeat.

SLX

Banned
that shit surely doesn't sell, right?
You'd be surprised on what actually gets sold, outside of just video game manuals.

I'm sure if the guy who pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever in 1997, put up his receipt on eBay, he might make the same amount.

Collectors have no limitations except for their wallet.

But hey, atleast the seller is being fair, you do get free shipping after all.

I'm almost tempted to report that listing to eBay based on swindling alone.

-KRS-

Are PAL and NTSC SNES boxes the same size? I assume they are but I was just wondering.

Sorry for asking another question.

Yes, in general they are the same size. It's the Japanese boxes which are not as wide and are a little taller I think. At least the Japanese boxes I have are different sizes to the PAL/NTSC ones.

Pick a PAL controller: it has a longer cord (and I personally enjoy the fact that it says Super Nintendo - not Famicom - on the controller; symmetry ftw).

Actually, I discovered yesterday that one of my SNES controllers (PAL) had a shorter cord! I don't think it's as short as the SFC controllers, but yeah there are apparently different cord sizes for PAL controllers as well. So not all of them are as long as the American ones.

I've had an issue with the board inside some of my recent purchases not sitting properly and resulting in a slight rattle. Is there a recommended fix for this?

Jhriad

I've been curious about some of the increase in prices on pricecharting.com on their Completed Auctions listings and after looking through the listings there's a lot of incorrect data in there. The most egregious one I've found so far was a completed listing of Faria for the NES that supposedly sold for 149.99 but the associated eBay auction lists final bought price at 100.00. So far I've found over a dozen incorrect entries and I've only been randomly clicking a few games to see what I'd find. Most of the incorrect values are displaying as higher than the actual winning bid with only one so far being lower (by about 5 dollars). If you hit the 'Report auction as inaccurate' button it makes the auction disappear but if you go back to the completed listings it's still there. Really makes me suspicious of the trend lines in their data. The site was created in 2010. Guess when their trend lines start seeing a noticeable upswing?

Anemone

Neo Member
My friends and I growing up basically had a trade system where we would lend out games and not care where they ended up, people often ended up getting the games that best suited them... Let's just say that I have expensive tastes and a fair bit of luck. Given that arrangement I don't have many games since we were all broke ass little kids. I used to be salty with my uncle for taking Mario RPG when he left town, but he left the copy of EVO which takes a lot of the sting out of the situation now.

Earthbound
E.V.O. The Search For Eden
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Dungeon Master
Uniracers
Wheel of fortune
NBA Jam TE
SF2:Turbo
Mario Paint
Turtles in Time

Semi related...
Jack bros and wario land for virtual boy.
Jack bros is fucking impossible, but worth a lot for some reason... I regret trashing my boxes while cleaning my room years ago.

Did you open it up and take a look? one of my carts was rattling and it turned out that the battery became loose

I'm sure I have had a ton of carts like that. If it really bothers you and you have a tool for opening the carts, just tighten the screws a bit.

I opened the carts and it's actually the board itself. It doesn't fit quite tightly in the plastic tabs and rattles a bit. Tightening the security screws doesn't really help. I might just wedge a piece of rubber or something inbetween the board and the cart to tighten that up. I was just curious if there was an instructable or recommended method for doing this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninja-Ryukenden-Tomoe-JAPAN-Super-Famicom-SNes-SFC-RARE-/190794691040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6c3ff1e0

I was about to have a heart attack until I read the description and it says that it is a repro.

@Hero_Of_The_Day: found it at Mega Replay!

Yeah, I saw it when I was there. I almost grabbed it, but the little indention on the front of the sticker was too much for me (I know, I'm crazy). I don't know what the shit that indention is there for on SNES carts, but it drives me fucking crazy since it tears a lot. The copy of Earthbound I found for $135 had a small tear there also so I passed it by even though it was a great price. I also don't know what the game is, actually. I love Kirby for the NES though, so I was pretty tempted.

So this thread was started at the same time I bought my first SNES (I was a Genesis kid). Here is my collection so far:

These pick-ups were all off of ebay which is pricey, but it's also fun.

That is a fucking beautiful start to a collection, damn. I love FF2 so much. Have it coming from ebay hopefully arriving this week. Can't wait. I actually don't think I've ever finished it on a real SNES before. It'll be like playing it for the first time!

I have (Adventure I think its called?) for NES, but I know this is supposed to be the best SNES one.

@Hero_Of_The_Day: found it at Mega Replay!

Do yourself a favor and get the remake of Kirby's Adventure called Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA) because it's even better than Adventure.

ryan-ts

Going through this thread has me itching to finish off my SNES collection. The prices on ebay are just too much for me though, guess I'll just keeping looking in the wild.

Going through this thread has me itching to finish off my SNES collection. The prices on ebay are just too much for me though, guess I'll just keeping looking in the wild.

Here's a random tip for anyone who watches ebay. I have a favorite saved to search for newly listed buy it nows for SNES games. That's how I've seen all the games I've posted in here since this thread started. I just got a great looking FF2 for a fair $25 a couple days ago this way, saw it as soon as it was listed.

I just discovered a retro game store in my area, so I expect to be joining you guys soon with SNES collecting. This thread has really gotten me into it, and this store has a massive collection.

Here's a random tip for anyone who watches ebay. I have a favorite saved to search for newly listed buy it nows for SNES games. That's how I've seen all the games I've posted in here since this thread started. I just got a great looking FF2 for a fair $25 a couple days ago this way, saw it as soon as it was listed.

I think I'm actually going to do this.

Good tip, I'm gonna do this for other things too!

That is a fucking beautiful start to a collection, damn. I love FF2 so much. Have it coming from ebay hopefully arriving this week. Can't wait. I actually don't think I've ever finished it on a real SNES before. It'll be like playing it for the first time!

Nice collection.

Thanks. It has been a fun month; I have all these games that I missed when they first came out and now I have so many options that it's hard to decide what to play next. I guess that is a good problem to have.

inner-G

Banned
Not directly SNES related but I just grabbed these for $20, I'm happy with it!!

So nostalgic! I remember almost all of these and its cool to have all the coverage and tips for the old stuff too. I wonder what ever became of all my old NP's...

Olly88

Does anyone know of any dedicated SNES forums? Don't remember ever seeing any but always thought it would be nice.

EDIT: I forgot, I did find one in the past but it was German.

Yes, in general they are the same size. It's the Japanese boxes which are not as wide and are a little taller I think. At least the Japanese boxes I have are different sizes to the PAL/NTSC ones.

Cool, thanks :)

Not directly SNES related but I just grabbed these for $20, I'm happy with it!!

So nostalgic! I remember almost all of these and its cool to have all the coverage and tips for the old stuff too. I wonder what ever became of all my old NP's...

Shit is awesome. It's funny to read through them now and realize they weren't much more than advertisements. I got a shit ton from a local place I used to hang out at when I was a kid, the owner just died a few months ago so they sold everything. Mother grabbed a box of these for $2. Haven't looked through much yet. I know I have the Secret of Mana and Mega Man X covers. Don't know what else.

Too bad she gave her grandson all her vintage games years ago 'cause I would have loved to grab them also. She had a fuck ton of SNES/NES/Genesis/Gameboy stuff, and good stuff too like all the Mega Man X's, Demon's Crest, Super Double Dragon. Who knows what else. Her Grandson was in my class actually from first grade through graduating high school. Mentally snapped freshman year of college and has lived with his parents since (8 years ago) heavily medicated. So I imagine it's all just sitting in a box somewhere.

Zing

Banned
Does anyone know of any dedicated SNES forums? Don't remember ever seeing any but always thought it would be nice.
Nintendoage is probably the best. There is also snescentral.

I didn't realize that super famicom games had no end label until this thread. That's ridiculous.

Been following this thread since the beginning. Besides the PC te SNES is my favorite system ever and LttP is my all time favorite game. I picked up a beautiful SNES with no yellowing, 2 controllers, cords, and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for $55 from eBay.

Set it all up, started playing and tried hitting a power button on tje controller that wasnt there in order to bring up the XMB that didn't pull up lol. Ahh the days of simply playing the game.
Looking to buy Link to the Past, SMW, and more.

Gameboy415

I've been meaning to join the thread for a while now - I love Super Nintendo!

I'll try to post pics of my SNES/Super Famicom collection tomorrow, but I had some nice finds at Salvation Army/Goodwill yesterday I can share now:

1303-Games2_zps6ccbbd0b.jpg

I found the 3 boxed SNES games for $0.96 each @ Salvation Army!
The top 2 are complete and in great shape, but Super Battletank just had a copy of Super Mario World inside (and nothing else).
I think I may be up to 4 copies of SMW now, haha.

Then, at my local Goodwill I found Kid Icarus for NES (which I've been trying to track down for a while) and my personal holy grail - Chrono Trigger for SNES!!
It was obscenely over-priced but I've wanted the SNES version of the game for ~18 years and I couldn't pass it up. I'll have to track down a box/manual on eBay I guess...
There was a small handful of other games of interest (Zelda: LTTP, Final Fantasy II, Super Ninja Boy, etc.) but I either already owned them or didn't want to pay the prices they were asking (everything was cart-only).
It actually looked as if someone dropped off an entire tub of SNES games so I can only imagine what I missed out on! :O

I almost never see SNES games when I go thrifting so it was a nice surprise to find some cheap CIB games and my most-wanted SNES game all in one trip. :D

Anth0ny

Some dude on ebay is selling some mother fucking MINT condition, with box, Super Famicom games.

rVbtNqO.jpg

I was eying that Super Metroid but the price is getting too high for me, unfortunately.

I know there has been some discussion regarding the whole collecting, VGA grading, keeping sealed games sealed, so I will just offer my view. There is only one game that I would pay to have sealed (and in fact did just that).

Link to the Past has always been my quintessential perfect game. The one game that I could't find anything to dislike. The game that holds the most sentimental value for me. The reason that I was ok with paying for this sealed and graded by VGA is it truly is a collectors item for me. It is basically what a Michael Jordan rookie card is for a basketball card collector. Not to mention that Zelda is my favorite franchise. This is why I can't complain about those who buy up the games for crazy prices on eBay.

iso135

Three pick ups yesterday..

Super Metroid - $4 in pretty good condition.

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse - $12 with manual and in pristine condition.

Pocky and Rocky - $28 with manual in almost perfect condition.

Know I did well on Super Metroid, but how about the others?

^

Damn. Where'd you get Metroid for that price? I was ecstatic to get it and Castlevania 4 together for $58 a few weeks ago. You beat me.

Looking at ebay, you did fairly on Mickey Mouse and pretty well on Pocky and Rocky with most carts only going for $35-42 dollar range on ebay there. Good haul.

Top Bottom