• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

BigBoss said:
My 360 now seems to work fine, I know its only a matter of time before it really dies. The funny thing is I only got one red light while everybody else seems to get the 3 red lights, maybe it was too hot and it needed to cool down? Anyways, I bought my 360 last July, if/when my 360 does die would MS fix it for free?
That be harddrive failure I believe.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726
Section 4 is flashing red
- Hardware Failure
/ \
\ /

The Specific Type of hardware failure can be determined by the error code displayed on the screen.
If the screen is blank or you would like additional information follow the instructions for determining the secondary error code in the section below
E45: Unknown (possibly dashboard update related)

E64: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc.

E65: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc. This can also be caused by the tray not being fully closed on boot.

E66: DVD Drive Error: DVD model, or version does not match that of the version expected by the dashboard. OR the firmware version on the drive is older then the firmware version expected by the dashboard. Make sure the DVD drive is of the same version originally included with the console and that it is using either the original firmware included with the console or newer.

E67: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E68: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it, This can also be caused by a Hard Drive Eprom Error. Some also believe this might be caused by a problem with the fans.

E69: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E71: possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

E72: (not yet known)

E73: General Hardware Error: Ethernet port... this error is caused by a problem with the Ethernet port.

E74: AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. If the cable is known to be working then there is a 90% chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip connected directly to the AV cable) in rare cases it is the GPU.

E76: (not yet known)

E79: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

sammy

---- okay, mine just bit the dust and i haven't been paying close attention to what i need to look out for.

it has been kept vertical, and i've had it 13 months now. I would take it back, i did buy a full year service-plan but it decided to die a few weeks after that expired >:[

since i purchased an HD-DVD drive i started getting these strange blocky glitches after the update (two or three times) ---- a weekend has passed, and this evening i got 3 red lights when i was about to have another Planet Earth session....

what's the plan? should i just dish out for an elite ??

Burger

sammy said:
---- okay, mine just bit the dust and i haven't been paying close attention to what i need to look out for.

it has been kept vertical, and i've had it 13 months now. I would take it back, i did buy a full year service-plan but it decided to die a few weeks after that expired >:[

since i purchased an HD-DVD drive i started getting these strange blocky glitches after the update (two or three times) ---- a weekend has passed, and this evening i got 3 red lights when i was about to have another Planet Earth session....

what's the plan? should i just dish out for an elite ??

13 months ? dish out ?

Ring Microsoft and tell them you were almost sick upside your guts because on the planet you come from you don't expect a $400 piece of consumer electronics to f*ck out a year later.

Demand that they fix it for free, then speak to some supervisor, and tell him the good news too.

But, if you think 13 months is fine, then by all means, dish away.

Bravoexo said:
Uhm, you can remove me from the list. My X360 is back up and alive after I removed the X-clamps and put m5 screws and nylon washers in it's place. Been a good 7 days now.
Kolgar said:
Yes, but I don't think we should remove people's name from the list just because they "repaired" their 360s by performing major surgery.

Fact is, they had defective units and still do. Microsoft shouldn't be let off the hook.
I agree. Repairing your broken 360, either by going internal or just the towel trick, doesn't negate that the console initially failed. The "hoping against hope" list is going to get a revamp, too. That will be for people with checkerboard patterns and other errors we know to be signs of impending doom. If your console dies, your name goes on the big list.

Kolgar

After experiencing my first RROD Saturday night, I put my 360 through a stress-test last night wherein I watched an HD DVD movie followed by playtime with Gears.

I thought all was well until near the end of the night when my box froze with a squelch from the speakers and another purplish checkerboard on the screen as I downloaded the new maps for Gears.

Upon waiting 30 seconds and rebooting, the box froze half-way through the swirling title screen, all black with a smattering of lines and blocks.

SOOOO, looks like I'll be trading up to an Elite this week if my Best Buy gets more stock. I'm not really pissed thanks to my two-year EW, but I am disappointed and rather confused as to how Microsoft could let the problem get so big.

This may be the most failure-prone console ever built.

And here I thought you guys didnt know how to take care of your stuff. :D

Catan killed my launch system. Playing a game Friday night BAM freeze and flash. I was like hell no. Called up and $140 later my box is on its way. The rep even said to me "Your lucky it lasted that long".

The rep also said my downloads wont work on the new box I get, anyone know what the heck he was talking about. I have 2 other core systems that I just take the hard drive to around the house and everything works fine there. He said I would have to call in and get replacment points for my downloads.

SuperPac

Maleficent said:

Catan killed my launch system. Playing a game Friday night BAM freeze and flash. I was like hell no. Called up and $140 later my box is on its way. The rep even said to me "Your lucky it lasted that long".

This pisses me off. So the rep says you're "lucky it lasted this long," seemingly to acknowledge that the systems have a high failure rate, and still charges you $140. This must be how the Xbox biz is expected to be profitable by 2008.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Ploid 3.0 said:
Yes, get elite for sure. HD-DVD drive already, the HDMI port + bigger HDD.

snoopsaysnoyk2.gif

sammy

--- so I went out and did a little looking into the Elite….

No HD-DVD playback ??? okay, I guess I can keep my drive … good to know

And it’s still as loud as any other Xbox? What 360’s have the new motor then?

HDMI is fine and all – but I’m saving my only HDMI slot for a future PS3 since my components run 360 extremely well on my CRT

I think I might find another Premium so I can keep my hard-drive (or was the hard-drive the problem?)

Moostache

My third 360 is due to arrive today....the wonderful message from UPS? "We havea scheduled delivery for your home between 9 AM and 8 PM!!!! THAT is "scheduled"????

That is the equivalent to saying "just stay home because we have no idea when we will be coming..." Thank god my wife stays at home!

rs7k

Maleficent said:

The rep also said my downloads wont work on the new box I get, anyone know what the heck he was talking about. I have 2 other core systems that I just take the hard drive to around the house and everything works fine there. He said I would have to call in and get replacment points for my downloads.

I would have freaked right out on the rep right there. You pay $140, then get told that. I'm mean, you're paying for a refurb which he probably expects not to last that long either. Keep in mind they record their calls so you may have a case for bitching and not have to pay.

sammy

Burger said:
13 months ? dish out ?

Ring Microsoft and tell them you were almost sick upside your guts because on the planet you come from you don't expect a $400 piece of consumer electronics to f*ck out a year later.

Demand that they fix it for free, then speak to some supervisor, and tell him the good news too.

But, if you think 13 months is fine, then by all means, dish away.

you're right -------------- in all fairness, i did expect my 360 to crap out a year into ownership - i think we've all accepted that responsibility from the start... sad is what it is.

it has been the only console ever to crap out on me, and i get most of them.

i'll be getting a new one with a new motor - not an Elite ------- but i do want them to fix my older one

Maleficent said:

Microsoft has a serious problem on their hands. It is always amusing to me how the "community reps" are never anywhere to be seen. The fact that nobody addresses this issue should tell you something.

Duke Togo

Son of a ****ing bitch, console #2 gets the ring of death. Its been on its last legs for a few weeks now. Excuse me while I go out and cut somebody.

Edit: I find it even more frustrating in that I have a launch xbox1 that still works wonderfully as a media centre. Why the hell can't they manufacture the x360 to the same standard?

jaypah

just came from the Moore thread to let my voice be heard (and probably silenced by a MS ninja). i'm on my 3rd 360. meaning i've had 2 break; 1 from November 05 and one from April 06 if i'm not mistaken. the dates could be off but the fact of the matter is that i'm on my 3rd one.

Bildi

Maleficent said:
The only issue as far as I know is that you have to be logged into Live for them to work (which sucks donkey dick).

I think the way around it is to create a dummy silver account and Microsoft will credit the points to that one so that you can re-download onto your new Xbox. As long as the new account remains on your new 360 you don't have to be logged into Live.

Apparently if you ring them after getting the new 360 there's a phrase that you can say and they'll know what to do and put you to the right area. Something like 'MS points after replacement'. Saw it somewhere, probably in this thread.

Pimpbaa

duketogo88 said:
Edit: I find it even more frustrating in that I have a launch xbox1 that still works wonderfully as a media centre. Why the hell can't they manufacture the x360 to the same standard?

Nvidia designed and manufactured most of what what into the xbox1 (motherboard and GPU). From what I understand, MS is only licensing technology this time around, and handling manufacturing themselves (and doing a hell of a poor job at it).

I got my 360 last week with four games. Took it home, plugged it in, HDD fails. Ring customer support, take it back to the shop, swap it for a brand new one. Take it home, plug it in, HDD fails again.

This time I decided to send away for another HDD from MS, which I am currently still waiting on - luckily I found a memory unit for cheap and GeoW kind of glosses over the issue, but still not the most satisfactory way to begin my experience with the console.

Bildi

SealSqueal said:
I got my 360 last week with four games. Took it home, plugged it in, HDD fails. Ring customer support, take it back to the shop, swap it for a brand new one. Take it home, plug it in, HDD fails again.

This time I decided to send away for another HDD from MS, which I am currently still waiting on - luckily I found a memory unit for cheap and GeoW kind of glosses over the issue, but still not the most satisfactory way to begin my experience with the console.
As I wrote earlier in the thread, a week ago I returned two consoles for this very reason - E67 HDD failure out of the box. I got a refund for the second one. Manufacture date was July 2006. Maybe they have had hard drive manufacturing issues.

Bildi said:
As I wrote earlier in the thread, a week ago I returned two consoles for this very reason - E67 HDD failure out of the box. I got a refund for the second one. Manufacture date was July 2006. Maybe they have had hard drive manufacturing issues.

Funny I just read that other thread now. I could not believe it when the second one failed, both E68 errors. Mine was a promo pack so I also thought that they may have been a bad batch.

Just looking at mine now, it says manafactured August 06. Must have been a bad quarter! I really wanted to play with a mate, but haven't even had the time too, maybe I should have waited too...

Bildi

SealSqueal said:
Funny I just read that other thread now. I could not believe it when the second one failed, both E68 errors. Mine was a promo pack so I also thought that they may have been a bad batch.

Just looking at mine now, it says manafactured August 06. Must have been a bad quarter! I really wanted to play with a mate, but haven't even had the time too, maybe I should have waited too...
You in Australia as well? Just guessing from the use of the word 'mate'.

I was just talking to a guy in the game shop where I sometimes go and he said he had sent his back recently for 3 RLD. He got it back after six days and it was the same console, not a different one refurbished.

He said he was surprised to find it runs significantly quieter and cooler, has a different DVD drive which is also quieter (the BenQ I think he said) and said even the on/off button on the front of the console feels different. Much like a iPod click wheel you almost only have to glide your finger over it as opposed to the spongy feel it had before.

In other words, it seems like MS took his old case and put it around brand new innards. And all of his paid downloads work as normal (ie not having to log into Live). He had posted this on some forums and everyone called him nuts at first, but then more stories started to surface. I guess I'll find out when I get my console back soon.

Anyone else heard of this?

Burger

Yeah the 360 I got back recently had my original serial number and case etc.

Everything works/Sounds the same though. DVD drive sounds like it's eating the discs, not reading them.

Trifle

One more for the list: US machine, born Sept 05, died April 07.

Usual symptoms, purple checkerboard lockup swiftly followed by the 3 red lights.

This is simply amazing. I don't know how microsoft is going to deal with this problem in a couple of years. Even if they correct the issue in the newer models, 10 million of boms will be out there already. And it seems the majority of them are going to make some noise...

Here's my story - completely true. It happened at the Easton, MA Gamestop.

My June 06 manufacter date 360, bought in October 06, started freezing on DVD's and when powered off then back on would come up with the 3 red lights. After powering-cycling again it would then be fine for a while. When it started freezing on games I figured it was ready to be replaced.

I took it back to the local gamestop yesterday (thank God I got their replacement warranty) and the first replacement 360 the guy brought out had a manufacter date of November 2005. I asked nicely if he could check for a later model and he brought out an August '06 one - cool.

Took it home, plugged it in. Dead on Arrival. I took a look at the power brick and there was a red light.

SO, I call them back and tell them about the red light on the brick and he and I agree that the brick is probably bad. I brought just the power brick back, he gave me a replacement, and I took it home. STILL not working.

This time I notice that the light on the power brick would change from green to red when I hit the power button on the 360 - every time. NO lights on the 360 though.

So I call them back and at this point he and I are laughing because the situtation is a little ridiculous. I bring everything back to the store.

I get back to the store and we tested it there - same issue. The clerk then tried a known good power brick from another 360 and this one would actually power this particular 360, but it, of course, had the 3 red lights.

Finally, he went out back, got another August 06 360 and we tested everything in the store. Worked great. I also re-upped my warranty for another year, because I'm really not that confident in the longevity of this product.

Kolgar

^^^ Jesus. It's 2007 and one of the world's largest companies can't produce a working video game console. It's like we're back in the early 1900s when you had to crank on your car for twenty minutes to get it to work - except, the car would usually work.

With 360, it's like you feel like you won the lottery if it works out of the box. Stars must be aligned correctly, biometric pressure just right, no holes in your underwear, etc.

Amazing.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
donzongrady said:
Finally, he went out back, got another August 06 360 and we tested everything in the store. Worked great. I also re-upped my warranty for another year, because I'm really not that confident in the longevity of this product.

This is where I think the retailers are making money and one of the reason why the X360 will continue to be a hit with retailers.

rs7k

Bildi said:

Yep, first time I ever turned my 360 on, that's what happened. Imagine reading all the reports online about the 360, and then the first ring of light you see on the console is red :lol :lol

Thankfully, I knew it was the HDD since it worked when I took it out. I swapped it for another one and my 360 is going (relatively) strong.

Sysgen

I recieved my ( different serial number) 360 back from MS yesterday. Played EDF all night and the console froze 5 times. Has the countdown to red started already? How long is the warranty on the replacement?

rs7k

My stupid drive tray gets stuck all the time now. It used to be once in a while, now it's everyday. It still opens, but always after a few tries. Good thing it never gets stuck when there's a disc inside. Same problem I had with my two original Xboxes.

I have a Samsung drive in my 360, and it's vertical.

Moostache

I am getting really pissed off at Microsoft now....

My first 360 was "born" 1/1/05/2006 (bought it on 3/5/2006) and died in 9/2006. Age 9 months, Use time 6 months!!!!!!
I sent away for its coffin, mournmed its loss for 12 days and received my first refurb...

My second 360 was "born" on 7/31/2006 (received as a refurb. unit on 9/16/2006) and died on 4/19/2007. Age 9 months, Use time 7 months!!!!
I sent away for its coffin, mournmed its loss for 16 days and received my second refurb...

My third 360 was born on 12/5/2005!!!
It is louder than either of the other two and its disc drive is CONSTANTLY in high spin mode. I thought the other two were loud enough (or my wife's 360 in our family room) but this latest refurb unit is god-awful. If it does not die of heat warping it will almost surely burn-out this DVD drive within a year.

It is really sad to me because I whole-heartedly believe the 360 (right now, when working) is a superior gaming platform to my PS3; but with such incredibly poor build quality, design decisions and reliability issues, that it is destined to be the system remembered most for its complete inability to survive normal use!

When (because I can guarantee there is no "if" on this one) this 3rd one breaks, the customer service rep at Microsoft who fields my call had better just offer to send me out a brand new unit (or "upgrade" me to a free Elite) because after dropping $400 on the first console (which lasted only 7 months) and then getting fukked into having to fork out another $104 on a repair of a 9 month old refurb (which I ONLY HAD FOR 7 months of that time! and SHOULD have been under full 12-month manufacturer's warranty until JULY 2007) there is simply no way I am paying another nickel for anything hardware related to the 360.

The look on my face when I checked the manufacture date on this latest refurb unit had to have been like something out of a bad TV commercial....

X-Box 360? $400
Second X-Box 360? Free (under warranty)
Third X-Box 360? $104 repair bill
Look on customer's face when realizing they got fux'd? Priceless....

Moostache

Sysgen said:
I recieved my ( different serial number) 360 back from MS yesterday. Played EDF all night and the console froze 5 times. Has the countdown to red started already? How long is the warranty on the replacement?
Unreal....unfortunately for you I would say there is a 95% probability that your "new/used/repaired/refurb'd" 360 is going to be dead as Dillinger before Memorial Day...

Might want to save time and just order its coffin and pay for the funeral now...

Bildi

Just a heads up: a friend of mine got two free games out of Microsoft with his second replacement 360.

When he rang them he said something along the lines of "so what are you going to do to compensate me for all this hassle?". And then hit them up for the games - Gears and something else that I can't remember.

So it's worth a try.

PS360

Banned
Yea also keep in mind that many people have had their repair fees lowered just by complaining to a supervisor. Not sure if they'll do it for a 2nd console, but I think you have a good chance if it's your 3rd+

This advice, from a certain perspective, is totally ridiculous. I can't think of another product where you would actually consider paying $70 for repairs of a $400 console that should still be working as having "suceeded."

Surfheart

I'm keeping mine going(barely) by treating it to some hot air gun loving nearly every other week. It's gotten that bad.

I really want to get a new box because I'm sick of the hassle but then I read this thread and think that even when I do buy a new one there is a very good chance it will bugger up too.

Someone posted about replacing the X clamps.. does anyone have more information on that process?

rod

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:

admiral, for what its worth, my first 360 was hitachi and it sounded like a plane while my newer samsung aswell as the samsung before it was a lot more quiet

Bildi

AdmiralViscen said:
Everyone in this thread just talks to themselves :(
Maybe because nobody knows the answer or they don't want to answer a question that could be answered in less that 10 seconds via google.

Edit: there's your answer, it's kinda loud and it depends what you had before -

Toshiba-Samsung loudest (the launch drives), Hitachi-LG in the middle, and BenQ LiteOn-Philips quietest (all Xboxes manufactured after November '06)

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hush/confirmed-xbox-360-elite-doesnt-use-super+quiet-benq-drives-255969.php

Sysgen

Moostache said:
Unreal....unfortunately for you I would say there is a 95% probability that your "new/used/repaired/refurb'd" 360 is going to be dead as Dillinger before Memorial Day...

Might want to save time and just order its coffin and pay for the funeral now...

Called MS last night and they're sending another coffin. Checked the MFG date and the replacement they sent me was from 12/1/05. I tried to squeeze a new unit out of the rep but he wouldn't budge. He said it's not MS policy. Well I asked; "is it MS policy to send defective units back to customers?" He answered no and I said; "Well we have already deviated from MS policy so how about sending me a new unit?" That didn't get me anywhere. Fortunately all of this is warranty covered.

RobertM

DenogginizerOS said:
This is where I think the retailers are making money and one of the reason why the X360 will continue to be a hit with retailers.
In store warranty? That might be true, but how long will it last until people give up on it?

AdmiralViscen said:
Everyone in this thread just talks to themselves :(
TekunoRobby said:
It's a thread for people to report problems.
Maybe he means that we don't really see much of arne or CPaladino in here. Not that I blame them. And I think this thread will explode once the Halo 3 beta hits. I can see hardcore junkies playing all day-every day. Beyond the fact that really puts a strain on the console, there'll be no way to get a unit repaired and back before the beta expires. The howling for blood will be cacophonous. I imagine a lot of folks will just go the DaCocaBrova route and buy a new system rather than wait.

Top Bottom