• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World 2011 8-10 Jan [Update: neoGAF geekin' out to quality game music]

ant1532

Banned
effin nintendo. they say their going to put more focus on the online aspect of 3DS and then they don't have shit. Nintendo needs to hire people from XBL team stat.

WillyFive

ant1532 said:
effin nintendo. they say their going to put more focus on the online aspect of 3DS and then they don't have shit. Nintendo needs to hire people from XBL team stat.

There's still another conference to go, in a country where online play actually is important....

That said, Nintendo doesn't really hold online that high a priority. They actually stopped making as many online games as they used to.

So I was looking at the Kid Icarus stage show images I found the control sheet:
c20110108_nintendo_17_cs1w1_640x480.jpg

You mean they've not even listed ABXY controls as an alternative. Though to be fair this is Japan where 100% of the population is right handed as opposed to 90% due to nail the hammer and all that.
If there is no left handed option in the Japanese version I hope its something they pick up on for the international release

careksims

How am I going to play Kid Icarus if I'm left handed!? I believe there will be a left-handed control scheme.

EDIT: NM I been playing DS games as a rightie for awhile now. :lol

Impressions from Day 1 of the Nintendo event.

Kid Icarus: Uprising
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/24680

Dead Or Alive: Dimensions
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/09/doa_dimensions_impressions/

Resident Evil: Revelations
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/09/resident_evil_revelations_impressions/
http://nintendo3dsblog.com/resident-evil-revelations-impressions-from-nintendo-world-2011

Super Street Fighter 4
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/09/super_sfiv_3d_edition_impressions/
http://nintendo3dsblog.com/super-street-fighter-iv-3d-edition-impressions-at-nintendo-world-2011

Zelda: Ocarina of Time
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/08/zelda_oot_impressions/

Very brief footage of Paper Mario, Zelda and Steel Diver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75m42lr-z9s

Apologies if these have already been posted.

RE:R sounds amazing. I really hope they do the same with the next console game...it's about damn time we had some actual horror games. :D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Instro said:
aopf9i.png

Street Fighter and Resident Evil are tonight.
Sweet. Nintendo Music everyday and RE and Level 5 the day after will make this another two nights without sleep for me :D

antonz

Teetris said:
Sweet. Nintendo Music everyday and RE and Level 5 the day after will make this another two nights without sleep for me :D
Street fighter and resident evil are tonight while level 5 and nintendogs+smelly cats is tommorrow

Codeblue

This is really a Nintendo Jazz event with some 3DS stuff here and there for me now. I hope they do some different DKC stuff tonight.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Andriasang about SSF4 said:
Finally, and this was most surprising for me, the game's new over-the-shoulder view, referred to officially as "Dynamic View," is actually playable thanks to the use of 3D. To play this mode, you have to separate your senses from the fact that the action is tilted into the screen and play just like you would when playing in 2D. This proves to not be difficult, as the gameplay is still strictly 2D.

With 3D turned on, this viewpoint works, although I'm not sure if I'd necessarily want to play the game in this fashion all the time. I tried the mode with the 3D turned off, though, and found it to be totally unplayable, presumably because of difficulties judging depth. It looks like Dynamic View really depends on the 3D effect, making it unique amongst most of the 3DS games at Nintendo World.

Just wanted to post this for those who insist that 3D can't have an effect on gameplay. As SSF4's Dynamic View mode proves, it can, and given time you'll see more developers taking advantage of this.

Sadist

GDGF said:
Just wanted to post this for those who insist that 3D can't have an effect on gameplay. As SSF4's Dynamic View mode proves, it can, and given time you'll see more developers taking advantage of this.
This just confirmed for me that SSF IV will be my first purchase with OoT for 3DS :D

Someone please decide for me:

I'm going for the full day tommorrow no matter what.

I want to go today but due to work, only have 2 hours and a half at the site if I do so(also an hour to get there and an hour to get back) is it worth going for today or just hold off until tomorrow?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
AceBandage said:
It is, though I wonder what the crowns represent.
From the video, they seem to appear at random.

The Nintendo Sound channel looks really cool. As far as the crowns go, I' dont need achievements but a simple trophy archive of games you beat would be nice.

img_memory01.jpg

Ok, so someone that can read Japanese, what does this say?
Is it hours played total? Seems weird to list that on the Home screen, if so.

Kard8p3

AceBandage said:
img_memory01.jpg

It could possibly be your nintendo points.

AceBandage said:
img_memory01.jpg

Nintendo's version of Trophies/Achievements? Is that a coin? I always hoped they'd go with "Stars" when they picked this up...

Somnid said:
It gives usage stats. One part is a pedometer that graphs by day, week, month and year.  It also tells you how many times and how long you play each game.

There's also something about game coins I don't quite understand but you get them by walking and certain games will use them somehow.

Ah, ok, Game Coins make sense.
It will be interesting to see how games utilize those.

Kard8p3 said:
Nintendo-3DS-OS-20.jpg

Here's another pic with 1212 of whatever it is.

Which seems to be a different Icon.
Rabbit Ears or something.

Kard8p3 said:
It could possibly be your nintendo points.

Seems to be a pedometer(like the one that came with pokemon)? Says the coins you accumulate from the amount of steps you've taken, can be used in supporting games.

Edit: pedometers are insanely popular now in Japan, tons of different little pocket lcd pedo-meter games you can buy, how about in America?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Somnid said:
It gives usage stats. One part is a pedometer that graphs by day, week, month and year.  It also tells you how many times and how long you play each game.

There's also something about game coins I don't quite understand but you get them by walking and certain games will use them somehow.
Weird. :p Walk to unlock things in games.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Somnid said:

Doesn't keep track of games you completed? What about the crowns?

I hope during the week we'll get some proper screens of the games that have info cards, like Bomberman and BlazBlue. Even if the screens are the same as the ones in the info cards, I just want them at 400x240.

Amir0x

Banned
Resident Evil Revelations definitely sounds pretty cool. If it controls like RE4 games but with a more horror vibe definitely gonna be hot.

Tentatively adding that on my list of future games to sort of care about

XPE

Amir0x said:
Resident Evil Revelations definitely sounds pretty cool. If it controls like RE4 games but with a more horror vibe definitely gonna be hot.

Tentatively adding that on my list of future games to sort of care about

Thats what anoop suggests it will be like, it will be interesting to see if capcom can still do it.

antonz

AceBandage said:
Ah, ok, Game Coins make sense.
It will be interesting to see how games utilize those.

Which seems to be a different Icon.
Rabbit Ears or something.

Shoe prints. Motion system detects walking like the pokewalker id guess

antonz said:
Shoe prints. Motion system detects walking like the pokewalker id guess

Yep, that would be it.
So, it will display steps walked and Game Coins earned.
The top information bar seems to be (from left to right):

WiFi Signal Strength
UserName (?)
Steps/Coins
Date
Time
Battery Life

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Is it 100% that the foot-prints and gold coins are directly correlated? It seems rather odd to keep track off foot prints (1212) and then some odd conversion gold coinds (256).

I tried the mode with the 3D turned off, though, and found it to be totally unplayable, presumably because of difficulties judging depth. It looks like Dynamic View really depends on the 3D effect, making it unique amongst most of the 3DS games at Nintendo World.
GDGF said:

Wow. I knew 2D had the potential to be odd or annoying but actually game breaking? On one hand it's impressive that 3d is incorporated so well, on the other that's a bit disappointing.

swerve

Wow, game coins are a neat idea. Combining the system pedometer with the calendar, they can do a lot.

Imagine having a game character in Animal Crossing say 'don't you usually head out somewhere round about now?'. 'You haven't been out as much as usual this week', etc.

Alternately, they can determine the winners of things like the Street Fighter 4 CrossPass mode battles by the distance walked that day.

EVH

jonnybryce said:
Wow. I knew 2D had the potential to be odd or annoying but actually game breaking? On one hand it's impressive that 3d is incorporated so well, on the other that's a bit disappointing.

Well, the Dynamic View mode is there because this thing has 3D. It's just only a camera view so I don't think it's a real problem.

swerve

jonnybryce said:
On one hand it's impressive that 3d is incorporated so well, on the other that's a bit disappointing.

No, it's a 3D mode, still played in 2D, just viewed differently. If you switch of 3D, it seems fair that you switch off the 3D viewing mode.

Whilst that sounds very cool, it doesn't really change the gameplay, it just enables a different camera which would make no sense without depth.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Going to miss the Mii stuff tonight, but hopefully I will be back before them music starts (doubtful). Should be able to see RE/Street Fighter, so hopefully those will be good (I'm a bit concerned it called "Resident Evil Series" though)

Also, when are these trailers for these games supposed to hit the net? Or is it only gameplay videos being shown at Nintendo World.

luffeN

AceBandage said:
img_memory01.jpg

well, the text in green says game coin

edit: you are too fast xD beaten etc. etc.

Top Bottom