• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Azriell

To the majority of the tens-of-millions who buy CoD (only a fraction of which will actually buy it on next gen consoles) this won't really matter to them. Most mainstream gamers buy one console, and they make their choice based on brand loyalty, cool factor, their friends, price, or some other generally single-minded option. A lot of them are insulated from the other console, because a lot of people there is no justification for buying two consoles, and again, all of they're friends have the same console.

720p and 1080p only vaguely mean "HD" to these people, but they don't understand why. That's just what it means. If you put the two versions of CoD side-by-side for them, I'm sure they could tell the difference, but when will that happen for them?

That's a lot of generalization, but we all know people like that. This news only really matters to the core
but yeah it's huge news and reaffirms my choice to go Sony this gen.

Just implying the game is going to look amazing, which was already a safe bet. Just look at Halo 4. If people will be searching for negative console wars fodder with that game, I don't suspect they will find it.

Ceh, I thought you were going to pull out the "I know something... " card.

I don't think anyone doubts Halo 5 will look amazing, visually. 343i are top class wizards in that sense.

Any negativity will probably be resolution at best, IQ of the game itself should be great... and even then, I have some optimism that 343i can push it to 1080p... I hope.

HORRORSHØW

0292_pkoic.gif
X
coke
bottles

You could ask them why they are getting an Xbone to begin with. Nothing is carrying over aside from friends list, achievements, and whatever gold sub you have remaining.

I`ve asked. From what I've gathered it's mostly fear of change from what they're used to (the controller, the Live ecosystem, etc), combined with a genuine interest in the multimedia features.

They, like me, will end up owning both consoles eventually. They just seem pretty set on getting the Xbox One first.

I'll probably have both at, or close to launch.

Your points are all fine but are you willing to pay a premium for a lesser experience graphics wise? How set are your friends on sticking with XBONE?

If somehow (somewhat unlikely) Sony delivers a superior online performance would you still go with the One?

Hell, I'm pretty much willing to jump over now. But I would pretty much be playing with strangers.

Which could be fine. At least some of my XBL buddies are people I met randomly online, so I could certainly do that again. Most are people I know IRL or through people I know IRL though.

Demon Ice

Banned
I'm still wrapping my head around Forza having baked lighting and no AA. I thought that game would at least get away with good graphics at 60 FPS because it was a non-open world racing game, so the closed environment would make things easier. Apparently not.

Wtf... Forza still doesn't have AA?

AA is one of the biggest resource hogs. 60fps games on a 7770 will almost never be able to use AA, unless you want the rest of the game to basically have no effects / low texture resolutions

I get 45-60fps in BF4 @ 900p on Ultra with no AA ( I have the 6770 ). That drops to 20-30fps with AA on, into the teens during those wicked SP moments.

Killing AA destroys your IQ ( except for motionless screens ) but hey .. atleast you get your special 60fps.

Demon Ice

Banned
Can someone stick the XB1 logo on the mascot's jersey in this gif?

NvJ6Yzj.gif

It really, really seems appropriate.

Baked lighting and no AA in a closed environment 1st party exclusive racing game. Unbelievable.

I`ve asked. From what I've gathered it's mostly fear of change from what they're used to (the controller, the Live ecosystem, etc), combined with a genuine interest in the multimedia features.

They, like me, will end up owning both consoles eventually. They just seem pretty set on getting the Xbox One first.

I'll probably have both at, or close to launch.

Hell, I'm pretty much willing to jump over now. But I would pretty much be playing with strangers.

Which could be fine. At least some of my XBL buddies are people I met randomly online, so I could certainly do that again. Most are people I know IRL or through people I know IRL though.

You can add people from GAF.

AA is one of the biggest resource hogs. 60fps games on a 7770 will almost never be able to use AA, unless you want the rest of the game to basically have no effects / low texture resolutions

I get 45-60fps in BF4 @ 900p on Ultra with no AA ( I have the 6770 ). That drops to 20-30fps with AA on, into the teens during those wicked SP moments.

Killing AA destroys your IQ ( except for motionless screens ) but hey .. atleast you get your special 60fps.

from the link I posted in my previous post,apparently no AA in 1080p mode but there's in 720p mode.

reKon

Banned

I thought consoles use a less taxing version of AA?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
You know something?

bishoptl seems like not perhaps.

Just implying the game is going to look amazing, which was already a safe bet. Just look at Halo 4. If people will be searching for negative console wars fodder with that game, I don't suspect they will find it.

Corrinne and the rest of 343 will do absolutely incredible work on that game. Of that there's no doubt in my mind. 60fps, amazing artwork, a technically brilliant game. The motion and performance capture stuff they worked on and used to such amazing result in Halo 4 will no doubt be on a whole other level on the Xbox One, and that alone is reason for excitement. And then the battles. Oh boy, I'm getting too excited too early. It's quite a ways off still, but, yea, I'm really anticipating the hell out of the next Halo. Halo 4 was my favorite campaign in the series by far.

Haha, yea, I'm digging my Ryse avatar. It's the game I'm most excited about for launch, so I thought it made sense as an avatar. :)

Pretty surreal seeing people defend 720p on a $500 machine in 2013.

Fanboys gonna fanboy! Microsoft is depending these fubars and dudebro defenders to sell those 720p machines. It absolutely shocks me as well that people are trying to defend xb1's obvious hardware causing flaws.

HTupolev

from the link I posted in my previous post,apparently no AA in 1080p mode but there's in 720p mode.
I would hope so. If you can render 1080p, you're already where you need to be to get 720p2xSSAA.

Any AA method that can be done on consoles can be done on PC. There are console games that make use of fairly expensive AA techniques, and PC players have access to ridiculous garbage post-process methods that hardly impact framerate at all.

Derpcrawler

Most console projects in recent years use post process AA, like FXAA, the downside is that it blur the whole picture quite a bit. I am sure there are more AA methods that work better, but MSAA is the only usable one if you want AA without bluring the picture. Also all post process AA work better the higher native resolution you go for, so FXAA on 1080p game will do a better job if the game was running at 900p and so on.

Demon Ice

Banned

It depends on the game and how much performance the dev is willing to spend on AA.

Post-process AA such as FXAA and QXAA is essentially "free" AA without a performance drop, but it blurs the entire image.

MSAA is more performance intensive but it focuses specifically on polygon edges so it cleans up aliasing without blurring the entire image. It also misses aliasing on transparencies and particle effects.

I would hope so. If you can render 1080p, you're already where you need to be to get 720p2xSSAA.

Any AA method that can be done on consoles can be done on PC. There are console games that make use of fairly expensive AA techniques, and PC players have access to ridiculous garbage post-process methods that hardly impact framerate at all.

Think you mean MSAA. No console will be doing SSAA. :)

Piggus

Remember when people were saying there would be little to no differences on multiplat games? Good times.

Ah yes... The people who know absolutely nothing about computer tech. For people who actually have some basic knowledge about the hardware, it's like watching people try to argue that $5 is more than $10. Hilarious.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, post-process solutions (implemented after the frame has been rendered rather than during) are the preferred option on consoles and the impact on performance is generally negligible. Even on the PC MSAA has become less of a viable option as the nature of deferred renderers means that the solution is being applied to multiple buffers at once, which is why it's a performance hog in most modern titles.

rdrr gnr

Or, you know, 900p and lower (especially at 60fps for MP) is a go for the most graphically intensive games, which given Halo 4, Halo 5 will likely be.

Demon Ice

Banned
Ah yes... The people who know absolutely nothing about computer tech. For people who actually have some basic knowledge about the hardware, it's like watching people try to argue that $5 is more than $10. Hilarious.

It really is. This is not surprising in the least to anybody with even a basic understanding of tech.

I guess some people really had faith in that "secret sauce" magic claim.

HTupolev

Think you mean MSAA. No console will be doing SSAA. :)
No, I don't. 1080p has more than twice the pixel count of 720p. So if you can render at 1080p, you should be able to do 720p2xSSAA with equivalent performance. Now, you might wind up deciding to do something different for 720p mode, but on the other hand you might not. There are plenty of PS360 games that effectively "use SSAA" when you play on an SD CRT; playing a 1080p game on a 720p TV should be no different.

Piggus

No, I don't. 1080p has more than twice the pixel count of 720p. So if you can render at 1080p, you should be able to do 720p2xSSAA with equivalent performance. Now, you might wind up deciding to do something different for 720p mode, but on the other hand you might not. There are plenty of PS360 games that effectively "use SSAA" when you play on an SD CRT; playing a 1080p game on a 720p TV should be no different.

If devs have the option, they'll choose 1080p over 720p with SSAA... There's no point in downsampling an image to 720p and then up scaling it again. It would blur the entire image. It's better to run at the native resolution of most displays.

Joco

I'm already imagining how poorly Bethesda games might run on the X1 now thanks to the more complicated architecture with the ESRAM. Hopefully nothing as bad as launch Skyrim on the PS3, but you never know...

Dezzy

Can someone stick the XB1 logo on the mascot's jersey in this gif?

NvJ6Yzj.gif

It really, really seems appropriate.

Baked lighting and no AA in a closed environment 1st party exclusive racing game. Unbelievable.

Oh man, that gif makes me laugh out loud every single time.

Codeblew

Upscaling is the process of which you convert a lower display resolution to a higher display resolution via an algorithm. Upscaling could either be hardware (Xbox One) or software (PS4). Main problem of upscaling is that it does not compensate for the loss of detail. Also, hard edges tends to be soft, textures become blurry, and colors become washed out.

PS4 has a hardware scaler also. It only needs to use it on 1 game though.

HTupolev

If devs have the option, they'll choose 1080p over 720p with SSAA... There's no point in downsampling an image to 720p and then up scaling it again. It would blur the entire image. It's better to run at the native resolution of most displays.
Obviously, if the user is playing on a 1080p TV. If you really want the blurriness of downscale+upscale, you can always just apply a blur filter for cheaper (and possibly better-looking) results.

We were talking about 720p users playing a game that can internally render at 1080p.

Piggus

Sounds like something I would say...

...but it wasn't me.

With that mentality, hardware wouldn't matter all and they could be saying the same about a hypothetical PS2 version. The point is, it's 2013 and 720p is not the standard that people have come to expect for games.

What if it's 4K? The internet would explode.
4K isn't even a whisper of a shadow of a thought in my mind. Feels like I haven't had a chance to properly explore 1080p for chrissakes.

I remember growing up with the family TV that was more like a piece of furniture than some kind of sweet kit. I'm talking the hulking wooden CRT behemoth with rabbit ears sticking up from the back and those inlaid faux wooden cabinet drawers with little handles on em on the front. The kind of thing you crawl up to as a crotchling and place your palms and nose up against the screen before slowly looking back at your horrified parents on the couch to say "they're heeeeere"

So yeah, I've been raised to expect TVs to last 20 to 30 years. The idea of upgrading my 60" 1080p Bravia at any point before the breakdown of civilization and/or the heat death of the universe is one idea I honestly can't comprehend right now, much less to get some vaunted mythical 4K resolution.

IconGrist

With that mentality, hardware wouldn't matter all and they could be saying the same about a hypothetical PS2 version. The point is, it's 2013 and 720p is not the standard that people have come to expect for games.

Pay more attention to usernames lol

Top Bottom