• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are Millennials considered the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're definitely a Millenial. Did you think you were Gen X?

30ebe0c8d.png

I'm not sure if I am Gen X or Gen Y. Why do they overlap each other?

But I missed being a Millennial by one year.

Africanus

Considering the most recent millennium and the most recent century changed at exactly the same time, it makes absolutely no sense to use one to refer to one group/time period, and the other to refer to a different group/time period.

Yeah, I've always been confused at this terminology.

As a 35 year old it seems pretty obvious to me that people born 2000 and after are growing up in the internet age and will become a civic generation that will fix the financial mess that the boomers created living high on the hog called debt. Because of access to information they have grown up far better at seeing things from multiple angles, not falling for platitudes or propaganda, and parsing it all in a way older people seem to struggle with. In the end the millennials and Gen Z or what ever they end up being called will be far more responsible, balanced, diverse and nuanced in how they run the world. imo

I don't believe that personally. Imo the internet's a great tool for propaganda and for spreading misinformation. This access to information also makes people believe that they are qualified to authoritatively talk about topics when really they have no idea what they're talking about. Someone reads a couple of articles online (probably from sources that fit their world view) and suddenly they feel they're an expert in how to fix a countries problems.

It also makes it easier to find echo chambers where you can only have discussions with like minded people and never have to have your views challenged.

Parch

I'm not so sure it's the same as always. I've never heard previous younger generations called "entitled".
And oh yeah, that's definitely a thing with current teens and young people.

How can Millennials even be considered bad at this stage?

They haven't had time or opportunity to really even DO anything.

I'd give them at LEAST a few decades before we try to rate them.

Now these baby boomers on the other hand.....

FUCK those guys.

Here here, fuck the baby boomers.

Be careful with these words. I was banned for saying essentially the same thing about the baby boomers in my earlier GAF days.

I will say that Millennials are woefully undereducated and rely way too much on the Internet to dictate their knowledge on everything, including shaping their politics and their identity.

I don't believe that personally. Imo the internet's a great tool for propaganda and for spreading misinformation. This access to information also makes people believe that they are qualified to authoritatively talk about topics when really they have no idea what they're talking about. Someone reads a couple of articles online (probably from sources that fit their world view) and suddenly they feel they're an expert in how to fix a countries problems.

It also makes it easier to find echo chambers where you can only have discussions with like minded people and never have to have your views challenged.

I agree.

Weiss

Banned
I'm not so sure it's the same as always. I've never heard previous younger generations called "entitled".
And oh yeah, that's definitely a thing with current teens and young people.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

- Socrates

I always read that Gen X is people born from 65 to 75.

For me the deciding factor is, have you been around when the Star Wars movies were shown in cinema, oder not?

And on the topic of "worst gen", that's obviously bullshit.

People are what they are....

And when they get older they change..

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Every Gen hates the previous one.. but millennials don't seem to appreciate shit.

I know that sounds like Louis CK, but that shits pretty true.

Fuckers don't appreciate anything.

Jacobi

Banned
Every Gen hates the previous one.. but millennials don't seem to appreciate shit.

Louis CK spoke about everyone though. And that's true for old people as well, you hear them often curse about the smartphones (mostly because of user errors)

terrisus

Every older generation thinks the new generation are degenerate shit heads.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

― Socrates

Every generation whines about the next one.

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise." ~ Socrates

Man, this happens every generation, though.. Get this, Socrates actually said:

"Millenial are the worst" - Socrates

- Socrates

People sure love their Socrates.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
It's a cliche because it's true. Every generation is the worst.

Besides, it's pretty disingenuous hearing about how we're spoiled, entitled, shiftless fucktards from the guys who ruined everything.

What's even funnier is hearing the the newest gen bitch that the gen before them fucked it all up.

As a Gen X, we blamed the boomers.

Weiss

Banned
What's even funnier is hearing the the newest gen bitch that the gen before them fucked it all up.

As a Gen X, we blamed the boomers.

Drats, you figured out that I was the one who fucked up the economy and continued to enforce oppressive laws against the downtrodden while I was still in fucking preschool.

There seems to be a huge lack of any entrepreneurial spirit, evidenced by many of the threads here on GAF, but I'm not sure if that's a Millennial thing.

I personally hate them because I made a Kids Incorporated joke around some of them and they didn't know what Kids Incorporated was.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You're definitely a Millenial. Did you think you were Gen X?

30ebe0c8d.png

I disagree with this chart, if only because I think there is a dramatic difference between kids born before and after, say, 1999. If you're born after 1999 that means that you were growing up right when Web 2.0 began, and having worked with a lot of kids in that age range that's as dramatic a shift as anything else these generations delineate.

HariKari

Common claim is: Entitled brats that think the world owes them everything.

Boomers destroyed the world they profited handsomely from. The same opportunities are simply not available. If a generation is 'entitled', it's more of a reflection on their parents than anything else.

GodofWine

I find that millenials are miserable in general knowledge / jeopardy type stuff...like really bad. I think its because there is so much media options available now that people can spend all their time watching and reading the same type of stuff. Some years ago, sometimes the only thing worth watching was a documentary on PBS about WWI or some nature shows.

Now we have 24 hours of teen mom or whatever.

But they do fine in most regards, all 20yr olds are naive and think the world will fall into their lap, I was, you were, my kids will be..

I suppose part of that depends on which group decides to claim (or disown) me :þ

ohyou#dead.png

That's more of a GAF thing, tbh.

You're probably right. There is a huge startup culture, driven by Millennials (I believe). Those people just don't go to GAF. This place seems to be full of fatalists who believe that the system is rigged against you and there's nothing you can do about it - see the Tree fort thread.

ohyou#dead.png
You're probably right. There is a huge startup culture, driven by Millennials (I believe). Those people just don't go to GAF. This place seems to be full of fatalists who believe that the system is rigged against you and there's nothing you can do about it - see the Tree fort thread.

Some Gaffers definitely are much more fatalistic and for lack of a better term, whiny.

Umibozu

I thought Gen Y and Millennials were the same.
they are the same, it's just that the terms used to coin the generation were done by different groups. One of my previous posts in this thread (which seems to have been ignored) even explains why you see an overlap in that timeline

The Technomancer

Acknowledging systemic inequality is not fatalistic apathy. Which isn't to say there isn't an apathy problem with some posters here, but its just plain not true that "all anyone has to do is work hard and they can 'make it'" or whatever

Makai

I disagree with this chart, if only because I think there is a dramatic difference between kids born before and after, say, 1990. If you're born after 1999 that means that you were growing up right when Web 2.0 began, and having worked with a lot of kids in that age range that's as dramatic a shift as anything else these generations delineate.
Millennial was coined by Strauss and Howe, who thought generations follow predictable archetypes. They thought that Millennials would be a "repeat" of the Greatest Generation and our big effort would be to kick ass in some sort of WW3 against terrorism. That's why the cutoff is around 9/11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss–Howe_generational_theory

Pretty interesting conjecture.

ohyou.pcx
Wait, I think you were one of the posters I was thinking about
no offense, I could be wrong...

I said I didn't like how the article was written.

I didn't go on any long diatribe about inequality and how the system is rigged.

I have however become much more apprehensive about trusting policemen thanks to GAF.

The Technomancer

1991 is millennial? Bullshit!

As someone born in 1991 I think millennial extends up to about the 1998-1999 period honestly. As I mentioned above past that point you get the kids who grew up on Web 2.0 and the change with how they engage with their world, even at that age, is dramatic. Millennial feels like the right term for people who were hitting maturity +/- 5 years of 2000, but the new generation is the ones who were children at the advent of YouTube and MySpace

megalowho

Tech and instant access to everything is making us softer, less focused, addicted. This is the case across all generational lines. Millennials have just been in it since day 1.

Kal_El

Being born in 1982 i'm Gen X, Gen Y and a Milli. I know that i'm old because of two things.

The thought of staying out past 11pm scared me

&

The thought of spending $5 on a beer when I can get a 12pk for $10 seems unreasonable and I wont do it.
That much anymore

Skytylz

Banned
As someone born in 1991 I think millennial extends up to about the 1998-1999 period honestly. As I mentioned above past that point you get the kids who grew up on Web 2.0 and the change with how they engage with their world, even at that age, is dramatic. Millennial feels like the right term for people who were hitting maturity +/- 5 years of 2000, but the new generation is the ones who were children at the advent of YouTube and MySpace

As someone born in 1992, we were children when youtube became a thing. Unless that was what you were saying, I can't really tell.

Even though I fit into the Millenials/Centennials group (1997), it's just a regular thing to be upset at the newest generation and what benefits/cultures they have compared to them.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Millennials were too pussy to actually spill blood in the Occupy Movement, seize property, and actually make a real difference, or try, in this country.

Liberty4all

Banned
A collection of thoughts:

Some generations can be be broken into sub gens.

For example boomers were broken into early boomers and Generation Jones.

Gen X is also broken into a late sub gen called Cold Y .

Cold Y Generation refers to those earliest Gen Yers who are old enough to have memories of the Cold War era that ended in 1991 with the fall of communism in Eastern Europe. The exact dates of when the generation begins are subject to the same disagreements as those regarding Generation Y as a whole, but are generally stated as between 1976 and 1981. [1] The end date is easier to placed, being defined by the youngest age at which someone could remember the end of the Cold War. This places the cut-off date at around 1985.

Cold Y Generation
Classified as the last conscious equipped Generation. Meaning they kind of got the way the world worked, and it's not neccessarily a 'We Are The World' place as many Gen Y parents and pop culture would have them believe. Tend to have a uniqueness about them that needs to be explained.

Defining trait is that they have characteristics of Gen X and so called Gen Y, yet do not really feel like they are part of either. Also remember the Pre-Information age society, Cold War, and the arrival of the Gulf War.

Statisticians usually start at '81 and atop at '85. Strongest alienation seems to be between '81 -'83. Is not regulated to years as this 'in limbo' feeling can go back as far as the late '70s. Seemingly making the original end dates of Gen X as the most accurate.

They might even take offense being called Cold Y and make up their own name.
"Cold Y Generation?" "What the fuck is that?"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cold+Y+Generation

A fantastic article from 2008 that defines Generation Nintendo/Cold Y (in article talks about folks age 25 - 37, people today now aged 33 - 41) - http://www.michaelcritz.com/2008/10/28/the-nintend-generation/

Cold Y was known as the Nintendo Generation, The MTV Generation ... but it's basically a 10 year sub sect between 1975 - 1984 or so ...

Looking at this discussion I see much the same "10 year subsets" looking at folks born 83 - 92 (90's kid, hit puberty at the dawn of web 1.0) versus those born 93 - 2003 (arguably the first generation to hit puberty at the dawn of of web 2.0 and the rise of social media) .... I think starting around the 80's that generations became much more sub segmented in part thanks to the rapid development of technology changing the way society "works" ...

Anyways something to think about. One of the great things about my particular sub gen (folks born between 75 - 84) is that we came of age under the boomers meaning we had at least some sort of understanding of how boomers operated .... we may have hated it but we learned how to work under the old system to move ahead in our careers.

At the same time we were close enough to the Millennial crowd that we could relate pretty well to them too in terms of technology use, as well as having a shared distaste for boomers (in terms of their political leanings, lack of social justice, idiocy on anything technology related). Cold Y/Nintendo Generation became a sort of bridge generation in the workplace throughout the 2000's ... acting as mid management to translate millennial speak into concepts that older boomer management could actually understand.

Its a different world again now though .... boomers are mostly gone, retired, the one's left for all intents and purposes are counting down the days to retirement and power rests in the hands of Gen X, Cold Y and Early Millennials. I can say with certainty that thanks to the "bootstrap" influence of working for years under Boomers, Early Gen X and Cold Y tend to be less than sympathetic to Millennials that refuse to "pay their dues" ... mainly because we toiled for years under the Boomer hierarchy to get to where we are today. That's where the "omg you Millennials are so entitled" meme comes from IMHO ... not saying it's "right" just saying that I think that's part of the reason Gen X tends to be impatient with Millennials, the worst part of boomers that rubbed off onto us.

With that said boomer workplace mentality is a dying breed, with senior management now made up of Early Gen X and Cold Y. There are certainly far more Millennials in the workplace coming up through the ranks so it should be interesting in the coming years to see how really progressive Millennial mentality effects corporate workplace policies in terms of promotions, vacation time, benefits, etc ...

One signifgant area I see massive MIllennial influence is in terms of progress reports, and weekly one on one's ... they seem to be a much bigger deal than I ever remember them being. I've also noted a huge explosion in Learning & Development type departments ... training and career progression/career pathing is a big deal nowadays with more progressive companies. I hope this leads to a reversal of the "soldier/mercenary for hire" mentality that Gen X had to take if they wanted to get ahead when looking at careers. I suspect that Millennial hive mentality will play a big role in bringing back some degree of companies being loyal to their employees in return for employees being loyal to their companies.

While jobs may not exactly be plentiful I honestly believe that those who do hold onto full time positions will see more opportunities rising as companies look to hold onto their talent. I think we are in a transitional period in that aspect as more Millennial mindset makes it's way into high levels of management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom