• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrell said:
Ummm... re-read it again, and go read MoSys' website. 1T-SRAM is used for SoC (system-on-chip) solutions because it "fakes" being eDRAM, that's why the terms are interchangable. They're used the same way, but are NOT the same technology.
If they found a revolutionary new way to make densities that high and not take up some megatransistors, they'd be the new IBM.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
AniHawk said:
This thread is filled with less hate and venom than I would like.

holy ****ing Nintendo! Those specs are worse than the GC, Nintendo are cheap bastards, I'm not paying more than $99 for Wii (last-gen technology). I hope Nintendo die

Looks like they have updated the info with more details:

*UPDATE* The dev mailed us and said he was shocked to see all these cries of 'fake', so he provided some more info to show he's not bluffing...

Broadway CPU

Broadway is Wii's CPU. Broadway functionality and specifications are as follows.

• Operating speed: 729 MHz
• Bus to main memory: 243 MHz, 64 bits (maximum bandwidth: 1.9 gigabytes/sec)
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 instruction cache
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 data cache (can set up 16-kilobyte data scratch pad)
• Superscalar microprocessor with six execution units (floating-point unit, branching unit, system regis
ter unit, load/store unit, two integer units)
• DMA unit (15-entry DMA request queue) used by 16-kilobyte data scratch pad
• Write-gather buffer for writing graphics command lists to the graphics chip
• Onboard 256-kilobyte 2-way set-associative L2 integrated cache
• Two, 32-bit integer units (IU)
• One floating point unit (FPU) (supports single precision (32-bit) and double precision (64-bit))
• The FPU supports paired single floating point (FP/PS)
• The FPU supports paired single multiply add (ps_madd). Most FP/PS instructions can be issued in
each cycle and completed in three cycles.
• Fixed-point to floating-point conversion can be performed at the same time as FPU register load and
store, with no loss in performance.
• The branch unit supports static branch prediction and dynamic branch prediction.
• When an instruction is stalled on data, the next instruction can be issued and executed. All instructions
maintain program logic and will complete in the correct program order.
• Supports three L2 cache fetch modes: 32-Byte, 64-Byte, and 128-Byte.
• Supports these bus pipeline depth levels: level 2, level 3, and level 4.
Reference Information: Broadway is upward compatible with Nintendo GameCube’s CPU (Gekko).

Hollywood GPU

Hollywood is a system LSI composed of a GPU and internal main memory (MEM1). Hollywood is clocked at 243 MHz. Its internal memory consists of 3 megabytes of embedded graphics memory and 24 megabytes of high speed main memory.

Hollywood includes the following.
• Graphics processing unit (with 3 megabytes of eDRAM)
• Audio DSP
• I/O Bridge
• 24 megabytes of internal main memory
• Internal main memory operates at 486 MHz.
Maximum bandwidth between Hollywood and internal main memory: 3.9 gigabytes per second

• Possible to locate a program here
Reference Information: Hollywood is similar to Nintendo GameCube’s Flipper and Splash components.

External Main Memory (MEM2)

Wii uses 64 megabytes of GDDR3 (MEM2) as external main memory. Like internal main memory, MEM2 can be accessed directly from Broadway and the GPU at high speed and has a peak bandwidth of 4 gigabytes/sec. Programs can also be placed in MEM2.

Reference Information: Nintendo GameCube ARAM is used as auxiliary memory for the DSP. The CPU and GPU did not have direct access to it.

Bolded for what's his name that keep going on and on about the 24MB 1T-SRAM being embedded.

fr4nz

I can confirm that all those informations are from "RVL_overview.pdf" (dated from March 22,2006) , which is included in the last available revision of the Wii SDK.

fr4nz said:
I can confirm that all those informations are from "RVL_overview.pdf" (dated from March 22,2006) , which is included in the last available revision of the Wii SDK.

The irony is that my speculation on the Rev specs got laughed at for the last 12 months around here for being too weak and the supposed real specs are even weaker. I JUST NOW SAID WOW.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Man, this is confusing. This is saying the 64 MB is DDR RAM, but that IGN article that was posted earlier said that 64 was 1T-SRAM.

Also, Shog is DDR RAM supposed to be the best out there now? I only ask cause that same IGN article said 1T-SRAM was supposed to be best in the world or something.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
fr4nz said:

so does it really say that the gpu is the same as the gc one.. just faster.. or did this line get a bit confused with the initial post: 'Reference Information: Hollywood is similar to Nintendo GameCube’s Flipper and Splash components.'

Oblivion said:
Man, this is confusing. This is saying the 64 MB is DDR RAM, but that IGN article that was posted earlier said that 64 was 1T-SRAM.

Also, Shog is DDR RAM supposed to be the best out there now? I only ask cause that same IGN article said 1T-SRAM was supposed to be best in the world or something.

There is no single "best in the world" RAM for all espects. The 1T-SRAM has much lower latency than the GDDR3 but less bandwidth IIRC.

imastalker co. said:
alright Shogmaster, i wanna know 2 things here.

give us two %'s. overall power increase, and spot-on % for your guess.

50% and 66%. *runs*

Shogmaster said:
50% and 66%. *runs*

Image12.jpg

"No, that's not good enough!

Polari

Shogmaster said:
802.11b is fast enough for 99% of your internet connections.

Currently, sure, but I think broadband speeds will have well outpaced it by the time Wii 2 rolls around. They already have in some areas, and considering Wii's going to have that download functionality (with 512MB to write to :lol) it could become a bottleneck.

sp0rsk said:
but its still an unconfirmed mystery source
Hang on to that last thread of hope!

Polari said:
Currently, sure, but I think broadband speeds will have well outpaced it by the time Wii 2 rolls around. They already have in some areas, and considering Wii's going to have that download functionality (with 512MB to write to :lol) it could become a bottleneck.

Sorry but my sarcasm meter's still in the shop...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Shogmaster said:
Hang on to that last thread of hope!

er, theres no last thread of hope, i just dont find captain mystery source very credible. I have no opinion on the specs cause well, shit anyone could come up with some specs close to what people were expecting and claim to be a mystery source and have people who were already big time haters(sup shogmaster) will just take it as fact. Excuse me for not just believing shit that comes out of thin air. I guess I'm just naive!

Shiggy

sp0rsk said:
er, theres no last thread of hope, i just dont find captain mystery source very credible. I have no opinion on the specs cause well, shit anyone could come up with some specs close to what people were expecting and claim to be a mystery source and have people who were already big time haters(sup shogmaster) will just take it as fact. Excuse me for not just believing shit that comes out of thin air. I guess I'm just naive!

Inside sources already confirmed it. [like thegodsend, although he didn't do this in this forum]

Mr. Pointy said:
From what that says, there are 4 pools of RAM in Wii. 3MB frame buffer, 24MB 1T-SRAM as MEM1, 64MB GDDR3 as MEM2 and the 16MB DRAM as audio memory.

3 pools. 64MB of GDDR3 is replacing the 16MB of the really slow DRAM.

Kittonwy

Banned
sp0rsk said:

The specs are pretty close to what I was expecting, I don't understand how some people can expect more to fit in a box that tiny through some kind of miracle.

sp0rsk said:

don't know about the source, but those specs are the real deal. have seen them myself on developer documentations (but wasn't allowed to talk about).
I think there will be more confirmations soon.

sprsk

Shiggy said:
Inside sources already confirmed it. [like thegodsend, although he didn't do this in this forum]

whos the godsend?

so if these are true then hopefully wii price wont be 250 like maxim said (unless they are packin in some seriouss tuff)

sprsk

thegodsend said:
don't know about the source, but those specs are the real deal. have seen them myself on developer documentations (but wasn't allowed to talk about).
I think there will be more confirmations soon.

well i guess that answers my one question haha

as a side note: i wasnt expecting a 360 in power or anything really better than gamecube turbo, just sceptical of random info with no source

Shiggy

sp0rsk said:
whos the godsend?

so if these are true then hopefully wii price wont be 250 like maxim said (unless they are packin in some seriouss tuff)

Well, he just answered.

And did you really think Wii would cost 250 USD?

yilmazz said:
We already saw screens and videos of actual games, so how does it matter what the specs are?

It puts them in perspective:

"What are you gonna do with such low specs?" vs "That's all they could do with such specs?!?" ;)

Polari

Out of curiosity:

How many of you AREN'T buying a Wii because of the specs?

How many of you ARE buying a Wii because it's cheaper than its competitors?

Polari said:
Out of curiosity:

How many of you AREN'T buying a Wii because of the specs?

How many of you ARE buying a Wii because it's cheaper than its competitors?

We don't know the price yet so the Q is premature.

Polari said:
We know it's cheaper than its competitors at under $250 though.

I ain't buyin' if it's over $150. The controller's mostly gimmick to me so I'm mostly interested Virtual console, and $150 is about the limit for that functionality.

Xellotah

It will be the games that decide. If there are no games that you are interested, it could sell at $99 and you still won't buy it.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
fr4nz said:
You know, you're not supposed to do that.
sp0rsk said:
If you're waiting for confirmation from nintendo, you can wait a really long friggin time. If you're waiting for a non-anonymous confirmation from a developer, you may just have to wait just as long.

Fredrik

This doesn't worry me much, the majority of the games on my "best games of all times" list is on consoles like the NES and SNES or computers like the Commodore 64 and Amiga.

sprsk

elostyle said:
You know, you're not supposed to do that.

If you're waiting for confirmation from nintendo, you can wait a really long friggin time. If you're waiting for a non-anonymous confirmation from a developer, you may just have to wait just as long.

i apparently didnt have to wait that long haha

and yeah expecting anything out of nintendo is totally out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom