• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysts: PlayStation 3, Wii Shortages Will Last for Months

fresquito

Yesterday the most important radio in Spain (Cadena Ser) gave some prizes, and Wii got the best audio-visual device of 2006 in Spain. The praises were high. A Nintendo PR was asked if they could meet demand,to what he said it's not that they aren't shipping good numbers, but that demand is much higher than what they can produce. He said they've shipped 4 millions units around the world, and all of them have been sold.

Now, this is the Spain PR guy, maybe he is just refering to the initial figures and his info might not be up to date.

Parl

fresquito said:
Yesterday the most important radio in Spain (Cadena Ser) gave some prizes, and Wii got the best audio-visual device of 2006 in Spain. The praises were high. A Nintendo PR was asked if they could meet demand,to what he said it's not that they aren't shipping good numbers, but that demand is much higher than what they can produce. He said they've shipped 4 millions units around the world, and all of them have been sold.

Now, this is the Spain PR guy, maybe he is just refering to the initial figures and his info might not be up to date.

Hmm... 4 million confirmed.

Terrell

Parl said:
Hmm... 4 million confirmed.
You broke my sarcasm meter.
This isn't Sony PR we're talking about, it's Nintendo PR. They have a penchant for giving the public sunshine suppositories and tow the company line like no one's business, granted, but they don't pull arbitrary numbers out of their asses.

Parl

Terrell said:
You broke my sarcasm meter.
This isn't Sony PR we're talking about, it's Nintendo PR. They have a penchant for giving the public sunshine suppositories and tow the company line like no one's business, granted, but they don't pull arbitrary numbers out of their asses.

Ramon Salazar isn't the most credible of sources, these days. The Los Illuminados stole all of Italy's Wii units, FFS!

This thread makes me happy I have a wii and Nintendo DS safely in my possession, and I play them when I want in joy.

......while others camp-out in freezing climates. muhahaha

Gek54

Can anyone translate?
ps3cheapinjapan8al.jpg

Rayne.S

Banned
SpoonyBard said:
My Japanese is a bit rusty, but "20% off!" can be roughly translated as "doomed".

Considering the fact that there is NO money whatsoever to be made on hardwaresales the only other reason would be charity...

They are not shifting the numbers and thats worrying !

cvxfreak

Gek54 said:
Why sad penguin?

I think the penguin is saying "Sonyさんすみません"

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Translation: Sorry Sony

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
cvxfreak said:

omfg you're right.

Deku

Banned
Nothing new to add and this appears to be a bump of a month old thread.

But as I pointed out, due to the volume and consistency of the reports, the anecdotal evidence in this case appears to have had some (or a lot) of basis in reality. So lesson learned I hope.

Edit: it's not a valentine's day sale. :eek:

farnham

Banned
cvxfreak said:

why are they sorry ..? they must be taking some humongeous losses.. although i think it says limited supplies

Deku

Banned
farnham said:
why are they sorry ..? they must be taking some humongeous losses.. although i think it says limited supplies

They are sorry for cutting the price . You can be sorry for many things in Japan, not just for things you did wrong.

DrLazy

A best buy in Chicago and Evanston both sold out Sunday on their shipment of 40 wiis as soon as they opened. There were lines. I didn't get one.

cvxfreak

Deku said:
Nothing new to add and this appears to be a bump of a month old thread.

But as I pointed out, due to the volume and consistency of the reports, the anecdotal evidence in this case appears to have had some (or a lot) of basis in reality. So lesson learned I hope.

Edit: it's not a valentine's day sale. :eek:

Yeah, I couldn't quite see the まで at first.

So the sale goes up until Valentine's Day.

Maybe I should ask a better question: why can't Nintendo make enough Wii's to meet demand? At my EB there's still dozens of phone calls and people coming in asking if they have any Wii systems. PS3s just sit in the back. I've personally not seen this kind of demand, where it's a month after X-mas and people are still wanting a system like crazy. It baffles me and I've not seen alot of talk about it, I did a search and this was the closest thread to date on the topic.

cvxfreak said:

Omg, i thought you we´re trying to troll, until i saw this pinguin really being on the picture. What in hell .... :lol

Flo_Evans

Its not just the wii, you can't find an extra controller for the freakin thing anywhere! I think that might just be the actuall holdup. Has anyone dismantled a wii-mote and sourced the chips?

Flo_Evans said:
Its not just the wii, you can't find an extra controller for the freakin thing anywhere! I think that might just be the actuall holdup. Has anyone dismantled a wii-mote and sourced the chips?
I somehow ended up with a couple extra wiimotes. I should either return them or sell them.

Yeah, wii-motes and chucks seem to be harder to find than the system. I feel bad for people who didn't understand what the chuck is and can't play a lot of their Wii games.

Furoba

cvxfreak said:
Is that a Valentine's Day discount? Deku or someone else should clarify.

今だけ = Only now, which means a temporary discount.
From 16/11 until Valentine's Day

Edit: didn't see your other post, nvm.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Michirou_53 said:
That's Don Quijote
The penguin is their mascot. I believe its called DonPen.
Some of Don Quijotes are selling 20GB model for 39800yen.

Don Quitotes? That sounds like the name of a small time hustler or pimp.

Akia said:
I just caught this story on digg. About a Best Buy having unsold PS3s just sitting there. Pic:

44a37kk.jpg

You know, that is funny because all of the Best Buys near me(all 3 of them) received about 32 consoles in and they sold out in 2 days. Also, they were not advertising that they had them in stock. People basically had to walk up and ask if they had PS3's in stock.

AniHawk

Rhazer Fusion said:
You know, that is funny because all of the Best Buys near me(all 3 of them) received about 32 consoles in and they sold out in 2 days. Also, they were not advertising that they had them in stock. People basically had to walk up and ask if they had PS3's in stock.

All the employees of the Best Buys near me told me you were lying.

Grok4Spock

Rhazer Fusion said:
You can this anecdotal(when relating to PS3 on NeoGAF means false), but at the Best Buys around here you can't walk anywhere in the games dept without having to navigate around PS3s just sitting on the floor...

Top Bottom