• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Steel 2 in Nintendo Power (Red Dead Steel)

No multiplayer? Weird. The series seems more of a story-based FPS than anything else, so I guess it makes sense.

And if it's Motion-Plus exclusive, then it must be bundled.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Drensch said:
-going for teen rating so, "The gore just doesn't fit for us and what we're trying to do"
-No multiplayer

And my interest plummits.

Don't call the game Red Steel if it's a load of fucking horse shit, and way to throw out something that could give the title great shelf life.

pakkit

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
No multiplayer? Weird. The series seems more of a story-based FPS than anything else, so I guess it makes sense.

And if it's Motion-Plus exclusive, then it must be bundled.
...But the story is shit.

This needs to have some multiplayer. Bioshock, Red Steel ain't.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No multiplayer. :( Not even co-op? Sigh, looks like this won't be a KZ1 -> KZ2 situation after all.

Drensch, what exactly does it say regarding no multiplayer? I wanna hear what their reasoning is on that. Even if it's single-player oriented, it's hard to believe that there's NO multiplayer at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EmCeeGramr said:
Drensch, what exactly does it say regarding no multiplayer? I wanna hear what their reasoning is on that. Even if it's single-player oriented, it's hard to believe that there's NO multiplayer at all.

Probably time. Scrapped the old build to work on a new one with MotionPlus support, want to get it out asap to jump on the M+ hype train, and multiplayer probably fell further and further down the priorities list.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
If they don't call this

Red Steel: This time it's the real deal

they have missed an oppurtunity.

Scrubking

Drensch said:
The article is fairly general and focused on the change in setting and what not, there is a lot of "we can't talk about that yet". I also haven't sat down and read it yet, just skimming.

-1st person, cell shaded, like I said, similar to XIII,
-going for teen rating so, "The gore just doesn't fit for us and what we're trying to do"
-No multiplayer
-exclusively Wii Motion Plus
-talk of dual wielding Gun and sword but nothing definitive

Uh oh. Not sounding very good.

Drensch

Np: Will the game include any multiplayer modes?

"No our focus is on creating a strong single player experience and taking full advantage of Wii Motion Plus. Adding multiplayer would detract from that focus. That's another example of something we learned from the first Red Steel [Laughs]

EatChildren

Drensch said:
Np: Will the game include any multiplayer modes?

"No our focus is on creating a strong single player experience and taking full advantage of Wii Motion Plus. Adding multiplayer would detract from that focus. That's another example of something we learned from the first Red Steel [Laughs]

See, Red Steel wasn't good enough to ride off a statement like this. While I had my fun, a lot needs to be learned from the original to deliver a game like this that stands high as single player only. Saying "Oh we spent too much time on the multiplayer" isn't good enough as the problems went far deeper.

I was hoping for multiplayer as that, to me, would indicate that they were going all out for a sequel and hoping to improve on everything. The lack of multiplayer doesn't sell this to me at all, cool art and all.

I need to see the screens, and I need to know more. Don't fuck this Ubi.

Is there an actual reason why they are keeping the Red Steel name? this seems like how Far Cry 2 was billed as the sequel to Far Cry 1 when the similaries were minor. Like, was Red Steel a big seller?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Linkzg said:
Is there an actual reason why they are keeping the Red Steel name? this seems like how Far Cry 2 was billed as the sequel to Far Cry 1 when the similaries were minor. Like, was Red Steel a big seller?

More than a million copies sold.

Linkzg said:
Sold over a million copies, though that was definitely launch hype. People still starry-eyed about motion controls, naive to the reality of waggles.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
holy shit... a samurai gunslinger? i think i just peed a little...

watching this with interest

Scrubking said:
Uh oh. Not sounding very good.
Besides having "no gore" in a game called Red Steel (again...) I don't see what's so bad. I actually support the idea of single player only, provided they do it well. Honestly I find this generation's need to shoehorn multiplayer into as many games as possible obnoxious. Sometimes I just want a lengthy and involved single player game, and it's fine with me if a team would rather devote their resources entirely to polishing the main story mode. They've already got the challenge of proving they can fix the flaws of the first game and offer a more compelling experience. I'd rather that didn't dilute those efforts by biting off more than they can chew. I just hope Ubi makes a better showing than they did with the original.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Besides "no gore" in a game caller Red Steel (again...) I don't see what's so bad. I actually support the idea of single player only, provided they do it well. Honestly I find this generation's need to shoehorn multiplayer into as many games as possible obnoxious. Sometimes I just want a lengthy and involved single player game, and it's fine with me if a team would rather devote their resources entirely to polishing the main story mode. They've already got the challenge of proving they can fix the flaws of the first game and offer a more compelling experience. I'd rather that didn't dilute those efforts by biting off more than they can chew. I just hope Ubi makes a better showing than they did with the original.

Pretty much. Unless you're going to go all out on multiplayer then don't bother because then it'll have no chance of me pulling it out other then once.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
well, to be honest, if it's out this year, i'll probably be playing Modern Warfare 2, so the lack of multiplayer doesn't really bother me. i'm interested in how it's changed. it just better be at least 15 hours long with new game + stuff.

ksamedi

Cell shaded and no multiplayer, Fuck that. The first Redsteel had a perfectly fine artstyle already.

I guess the good news is that its motion plus exclusive.

EatChildren

J-Rock said:
So what are the odds that Drensch is just fucking with us?

Probably zero. Why would he?

EDarkness

Drensch said:
The article is fairly general and focused on the change in setting and what not, there is a lot of "we can't talk about that yet". I also haven't sat down and read it yet, just skimming.

-No multiplayer

<sigh> Well, I was excited until I read this. I guess I won't be picking this up unless the story is really awesome. Heh, hype deflated.

wsippel

Banned
J-Rock said:
Yeah I guess there is no real reason for him to.
Not only that, but I guess nobody would pull that new creative director out of his ass. I mean, Jason VandenBerghe actually is working as a creative director at Ubisoft Paris, but unlike the other two guys, he didn't work on the first Red Steel.

w3stfa11

Single player better be damn good and long. Jeez, they've been working on this game for a while now and they don't have the time to make (local) multiplayer? I have my suspicions this will be another half-assed attempt by Ubisoft.

EDarkness

jeremy1456 said:
Wait, people are not interested in this game anymore because it doesn't have multiplayer?

:lol

I don't care that it doesn't have multiplayer. Single player games are perfectly fine, but cell shaded? Emphasis on using a sword? That's not something I want to get into. I was hoping for an extension of the first game. Cleaned up graphics, control issues taken care of, better sword mechanics, but I still wanted the run and gun gameplay with some sword stuff thrown in here and there. Sounds like we're getting more of a sword slashing game.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not totally throwing the game out the window yet, but my expectations are seriously lowered.

Though, you can't blame people for being a little upset about multiplayer. The first game had it so now the game is taking a step back? If you were wanting a more robust game with online play, then I can see people being a little miffed.

wsippel

Banned
w3stfa11 said:
Single player better be damn good and long. Jeez, they've been working on this game for a while now and they don't have the time to make (local) multiplayer? I have my suspicions this will be another half-assed attempt by Ubisoft.
This game is way too long in development to be half-assed, even with the reboot in 2007. The first Red Steel was developed in just eight months if I remember correctly, on new hardware - and that was obviously sufficient to add at least basic local multiplayer. I believe Ubisoft just wanted to go in a completely different direction, and multiplayer simply didn't fit in anymore. Red Steel 2 actually seems to be quite ambitious, actually. Two to four years of development time (depending on what, if anything, Ubisoft Paris kept from Red Steel 1.5) is a lot of time, especially for a sequel.

CiSTM

Banned
Cell Shaded <3

I don't care that much about lack of MP. Long as the single player experience is rock solid I'm satisfied.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i dunno why, but i sort of get a Book of Eli feel from this game

bookofeliart.jpg

thomasos

Drensch said:

-No multiplayer

We actually go into quite a bit of detail regarding the sword and gun gameplay.

pakkit

Banned
redsteel-nintendomagazine-1_qjpreviewth.jpg

I know this version was scrapped, but I still want some blood, especially with this redesign (granted, a Teen rating does not nix the possibility of blood), and I definitely wanted some online. Maybe there are still some online modes we don't know about, but it definitely seems like a missed opportunity for the sequel to Wii's first and most well-known 3rd party FPS to not be supporting some online multiplayer.

Arde5643

Is this going to be an adventure exploration game in the vein of Metroid Prime/Bioshock, or is it going to just be a single player FPS like Black?

If it's the former, I'll bite - if it's the latter, fuck it and just buy it once it gets to the bargain bin.

scitek

The first Red Steel had a myriad of problems due to it being rushed to make the Wii's launch. Now, they had a completely different game and decided to scrap it and start over and are now rushing to make a game that takes advantage of Motion+. I'm supposed to believe they've learned from their mistakes with the first game when they're essentially repeating them all over again? Get the fuck out of here Ubisoft. Really.

wsippel

Banned
scitek said:
The first Red Steel had a myriad of problems due to it being rushed to make the Wii's launch. Now, they had a completely different game and decided to scrap it and start over and are now rushing to make a game that takes advantage of Motion+. I'm supposed to believe they've learned from their mistakes with the first game when they're essentially repeating them all over again? Get the fuck out of here Ubisoft. Really.
The first Red Steel had only a few months of development time, Red Steel 2 should have close to two years if it ships in late 2009. Red Steel 1.5 was in development for around a year before being scrapped in late 2007, and I assume the development of Red Steel 2 began shortly thereafter - and the initial version was supposedly scrapped because it simply wasn't all that great.

scitek

wsippel said:
The first Red Steel had only a few months of development time, Red Steel 2 should have close to two years if it ships in late 2009. Red Steel 1.5 was in development for around a year before being scrapped in late 2007, and I assume the development of Red Steel 2 began shortly thereafter - and the initial version was supposedly scrapped because it simply wasn't all that great.

I'm pretty sure the first game had around 18 months of development time, and they were working directly with Nintendo in order to assure the controls were implemented correctly. Look what happened there. They couldn't have known about Motion Plus before any other developer, so to come to the decision to make the game Motion Plus exclusive was probably only made around a year or so ago. I'm really skeptical they aren't just trying to cash in on what they think will be a new craze started by Wii Sports Resort, just like they jumped all over the Wii at launch and cashed in a bunch of effortless ports. Ubisoft is a cancer on the Wii.

w3stfa11

wsippel said:
This game is way too long in development to be half-assed, even with the reboot in 2007. The first Red Steel was developed in just eight months if I remember correctly, on new hardware - and that was obviously sufficient to add at least basic local multiplayer. I believe Ubisoft just wanted to go in a completely different direction, and multiplayer simply didn't fit in anymore. Red Steel 2 actually seems to be quite ambitious, actually. Two to four years of development time (depending on what, if anything, Ubisoft Paris kept from Red Steel 1.5) is a lot of time, especially for a sequel.

I'll wait to hear more about the game but it's frustrating to see Uncharted 2 (and Dead Rising 2) gain multiplayer while Red Steel 2 loses multiplayer.

Top Bottom