• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Baldur's Gate 2

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
what weapon is effective against invisible creatures in the circus? some weapons work, some don't, I can't understand which of them are useless. I know Minsc has problems with them, lol.

Noaloha

what weapon is effective against invisible creatures in the circus? some weapons work, some don't, I can't understand which of them are useless. I know Minsc has problems with them, lol.

I think they're regular Shadows in that tent; they have a kind of see-though look to them -- ie. they aren't actually under the effect of 'invisibility'. You'll need weapons of +1 enchantment at least (likewise, ammo of +1 for a ranged weapon).

If I'm misremembering and they *are* actually invisible, you'll need to do something like drop an Invisibility Purge, True Seeing or.. Dispel (I think?). Though yeah, I'm pretty sure they're not actually invisible in the game-status sense.

Fugu

You need at least +1.

Spoiler (you probably don't want to read this if you haven't done the tent):
The reason you're having difficulty swinging at them for your first hit is that they're not real. If you don't hit them, they can't hurt you.

Perkel

Banned

most of them are just smoke and mirror. If you have dispel magic then use it.
If you have a cleric in party you can use protect from Evil on your party members.

or...

you can just go to next room without fighting. Stairs are above your place when you start (area with those shadows).

btw did you kill ogre in previous room ?

Jokab

The whole deal about having to figure out some arbitrary way of defeating certain enemies goes through the game, and is one of its few faults in my opinion. For example, you can't land the killing blow on trolls unless you do it with some kind of fire of poison. I mean, how are you supposed to figure that out? I believe it appears in one of the loading screen hints, but really? Adamantine Golems require blunt weapons if I'm not mistaken too, and there are several other enemies that work in a similar way. There is just no way for you to figure out what's going on when all the combat log says is "Weapon is ineffective".

subversus

What are ways to raise my armor class as kensai? if there are any. Also how are other katanas called? do they japanese-like names?

and how can I see characteristics of stuff I sell?

btw did you kill ogre in previous room ?

what ogre? I recruited her.

The whole deal about having to figure out some arbitrary way of defeating certain enemies goes through the game, and is one of its few faults in my opinion. For example, you can't land the killing blow on trolls unless you do it with some kind of fire of poison. I mean, how are you supposed to figure that out? I believe it appears in one of the loading screen hints, but really? Adamantine Golems require blunt weapons if I'm not mistaken too, and there are several other enemies that work in a similar way. There is just no way for you to figure out what's going on when all the combat log says is "Weapon is ineffective".

it's all in the manual I believe

One of those matter of opinion things, but personally I love having to work this stuff out. The whole game is based around your characters gaining experience points and levelling up. No reason why the player shouldn't do the same.

Lancehead

What are ways to raise my armor class as kensai? if there are any. Also how are other katanas called? do they japanese-like names?

You get AC bonus as you level up. Otherwise you can't because Kensai can't wear any armour.

Right click on items to see the stats.

A lot of such stuff is common lore knowledge.

Kientin

What are ways to raise my armor class as kensai?

It's been awhile since I've played but off the top of my head I think putting points into one handed combat gives you a bit of AC. Also I think there are some pieces of armor that look like stones that go into your helmet slot that a kensai can equip. One of them gives you a point of AC.

EDIT: Of course rings, boots, necklaces, and cloaks as well however because those are much more varied I can't remember anything specific except for that awesome charisma ring and the boots of speed but I'm pretty sure you'll stumble upon stuff with AC in those slots if your really hurting for it.

czk

Typical COD gamer
FFFUUUU

I can't install BG1 nor BG2 on my system (Win7 64bit)!
The installation setup just won't start - I click on the 'setup' file and I have no reaction, no message, no error, nada :(

I tried running it as an administrator, in the win xp, 98, 95 modes, made an iso from the disc and run it in daemon and still nothing :(

Any advices?

My game copy is an old one (from around 2001 i think), on CDs.

Perkel

Banned

Kensai = strong offence and weak defence. There is no really a way to improve it much. But with mages in your party you can change him into real destroyer.

Invisibility spells give you +4to hit and your, enemies -4 to hit you (like you would have armor -4ac. Problem is it is only for one strike. But there is improved invisibility spell which works even if you hit. Jaheira has bearskin spell. You can cast it on your kensai it should help a little.

Katanas as description in when you created your dude are rare. there are a lot of katana+1 but there are only few katanas above +1 and those are really almighty stuff.
I'll give you a hint. If you want one stick to Jaheira for whole game.

Also visit Ribald shop on promenade near circus, (there are 2 NPc that sell things ribald and lady i upper level of shop she have one (katana) to sell that is if you will have money :) )

right click on item

You smartass :) I killed her when i was playing BG2 first time.

Perkel

Banned
FFFUUUU

I can't install BG1 nor BG2 on my system (Win7 64bit)!
The installation setup just won't start - I click on the 'setup' file and I have no reaction, no message, no error, nada :(

I tried running it as an administrator, in the win xp, 98, 95 modes, made an iso from the disc and run it in daemon and still nothing :(

Any advices?

My game copy is an old one (from around 2001 i think), on CDs.

Baldurs Gate 1

Baldurs Gate 2

Best version out there. And comes with a lot of good stuff.

Ledsen

You mean lower.

Perkel

Banned
I'll just add to Perkel's comments that there's not really many "great" katanas, but the best katana in the game (without ToB) can be acquired pretty early in the game, at least if you know where to go/what to do. It's a bit unfortunate that there's only one +3 katana in the game (without ToB/mods), though as a Kensai you'll cause mayhem nontheless.

Edit:
Regarding AC, while you can usually only wear one "-AC" ring/amulet at a time, there's also belts that can decrease your AC towards certain weapons and there's a certain really powerful ring that stacks on top of a "-AC" ring.

"can be acquired pretty early in the game, at least if you know where to go/what to do" He is newbie and should find weapons and armor himself. Baldurs gate 2 is filled with awasome meaningfull loot, telling him what he should do or telling him if this or this character will be awasome in end game is bad.

Damn all this talk about BG2 gave me thing to start again.. :)

It's been awhile since I've played but off the top of my head I think putting points into one handed combat gives you a bit of AC. Also I think there are some pieces of armor that look like stones that go into your helmet slot that a kensai can equip. One of them gives you a point of AC.

EDIT: Of course rings, boots, necklaces, and cloaks as well however because those are much more varied I can't remember anything specific except for that awesome charisma ring and the boots of speed but I'm pretty sure you'll stumble upon stuff with AC in those slots if your really hurting for it.

I would stick with dual wield. If you are a kensai, if you eventually dual class to mage then you don't have to worry so much about it, or your other party members...or the enemies :)

Kientin

I would stick with dual wield. If you are a kensai, if you eventually dual class to mage then you don't have to worry so much about it, or your other party members...or the enemies :)

I've done both and from what I remember duel wield was more fun. However I never tried duel classing mage. Get that cowardly back row mage stuff off of my fighter!
I've heard about that before and it sounds pretty fun. I always liked playing a "spellblade" but when the opportunity presented itself for some reason I just wanted to continue my fighter. Might try it the next time I play just to break the game for once, but that's never been my goal really I just want to play the class I like.

Perkel

Banned
I have BG2 on GoG, complete that is. DO I play the first one or can just start with throne of bane?

Throne of Ball is expansion pack for BG2 and without Shadows of Amn you won't know shit about story or characters.

Start with BG2 and prepare for 200h RPG glory.

FUCK this shit. i'm starting again ! I'll create for the first time superdumb evil dude. i wonder if it change things much for story. In fallout there was noticable change.

But i will only play it 1h a day.

subversus you should check configuration in bg2 folder :

change 30 fps to 40 and pathfinding from 40k to 90k. Game is much more enjoyable when things work faster.

her's screen for ya. :

6867570396_84c021e345_b.jpg

Inkwell

Banned
Throne of Ball is expansion pack for BG2 and without Shadows of Amn you won't know shit about story or characters.

Start with BG2 and prepare for 200h RPG glory.

FUCK this shit. i'm starting again ! I'll create for the first time superdumb evil dude. i wonder if it change things much for story. In fallout there was noticable change.

But i will only play it 1h a day.

change 30 fps to 40 and pathfinding from 40k to 90k. Game is much more enjoyable when things work faster.

Wow. Thanks for pointing this out. I'm not sure if there is one, but there should be an Infinity Engine games based OT. There should be a list of all the best mods along with tweaks like this. I know I have a difficult time when I'm installing these mods since I don't know which options to choose. Some things sound good, but I don't want to change the game or its feel too much.

subversus

6867570396_84c021e345_b.jpg

thanks, I'll try this. The game feels really slow sometimes and there are noticeable slowdowns when there are particles on screen. I'm playing with widescreen mod.

also how can I travel between locations? I need to go to the keep.

subversus

wow, this config file really helped. The game runs much better now and colors look better I think.

subversus

this game is a great RPG. It's on its way to become my favourite isometric RPG since Fallout 1-2 (this includes DA:O). I haven't played a lot of isometric RPGs though.

Perkel

Banned
wow, this config file really helped. The game runs much better now and colors look better I think.

@ subversus

No colors looks the same :) But if you want some good graphic mod install this:

http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/1pp

IT's not much but characters looks way better with this. It's easy to install ass widescreenmod. Changes character sprites little to look more like in BG1 (character sprites are worse in BG2 )

As of keeep. Go to city gates first and then go throught gate. Next time u won't need that. (small but amazing design choice imo)

Good to hear you like it. Hint for me. Don't change your character until you wil finish game. It's monster game. In first playtrough BG2 and ToB you can easly do 100-200h. When you finish 2 you will install Baldurs Gate Trilogy mod and you will have BG1+BG2+ToB in one game on ToB engine playing seamlessly from Start of BG1 to ToB end... Think about it like playing Fallout1 and fallout2 in one game. Amazing stuff.

Also i think you will be pleased that whole game BG2 , BG1 or BGT can be played co-op up to 5 other players :) Isn't it amazing ? But multi over internet is fucking broken on modern PC and it need luck to work (i'm one that have vista and can't play it over internet) or you can create completly custom party of six characters and play whole game only by your created characters.

@ ElTopo

Yes GOG is best version out there and it works like magic wih BGT and all of other mods. edit: HA! i forgot you have BG2 on CD. Should be working since BG2 on GOG is patched to newest version but not reverse enginered. If you have Win 7 there can be problem with installer of your BG2CD as someone stated above.

Sarcasm

I am in the tutorial basement, kinda figuring out how things work as I go.

So I want my rogue to be on detect trap 24/7? And to attack with mages you pause click your stuff than unpause?

Perkel

Banned
any other graphics mods? the link doesn't work there btw.

Oh. I didn't test it i downloaded it before from that link when i played BG. Sadly for me it don't work either.

I have it on my PC so i'll upload it on mediafire and post a link. It'll take a few minutes.

Beside widescreen and 1PP there aren't any noticable mods. But IMO 2D art of BG2 holds up well in higher res. There is mod that change many spell sprites to Icewind dale ones but i didn't test it and i think it don't need any upgrade.

edit:

Here is 1PP mod

Don't expect fireworks but small upgrade to characters. Nothing fancy.

Sotha Sil

Which class would you say has the best special quest? Did most of them, though I've completely forgotten which was the ranger's. I really need to start a new playthrough, but I'll wait for Beamdog's version.

Which class would you say has the best special quest? Did most of them, though I completely forgotten which was the ranger's. I really need to start a new playthrough, but I'll wait for Beamdog's version.

I just did the rangers quest. It's decent, not great, though.

Perkel

Banned
Which class would you say has the best special quest? Did most of them, though I've completely forgotten which was the ranger's. I really need to start a new playthrough, but I'll wait for Beamdog's version.

Mage one and bard one.

@ patryn

As i love Obsidian you should drop NWN2 and start playing MAsk of Betrayer. Storm of zephir is also good but worse than MotB.

NWN2 is NWN1 to core without any obsidian magic (probably because license owners didn't want that)

IMO NWN franchize is fiasco only two expantion packs are worthwile and bunch of mods.

Patryn

Mage one and bard one.

@ patryn

As i love Obsidian you should drop NWN2 and start playing MAsk of Betrayer. Storm of zephir is also good but worse than MotB.

NWN2 is NWN1 to core without any obsidian magic (probably because license owners didn't want that)

IMO NWN franchize is fiasco only two expantion packs are worthwile and bunch of mods.

Sorry, but I've played and beaten NWN2 core before and I actually really like it. So I'm playing that.

I'll play MotB after I beat NWN2. Probably.

subversus

I just started this troll quest. At the very beginning your party member tells you that only fire or acid affect them.

2 everyone:

btw if I started this quest will I be able to obtain fire or acid arows there? Just yes or no. It's the first quest you get in the tavern and it's about the keep.

I guess "flaming weapons" spell will also do the job.

Patryn

I just started this troll quest. At the very beginning your party member tells you that only fire or acid affect them.

2 everyone:

btw if I started this quest will I be able to obtain fire or acid arows there? Just yes or no. It's the first quest you get in the tavern and it's about the keep.

I guess "flaming weapons" spell will also do the job.

Also Fireball or (most easily) Acid Arrow, both mage spells. Early mage spells, at that.

Oh, or Flaming Hands.

Also, regular weapons will take their health down. You just need fire or acid for the final hit.

subversus

Also, regular weapons will take their health down. You just need fire or acid for the final hit.

but I need to memorize the sufficient number of spells, I mean fire arrows. Or mages don't need that?

Patryn

but I need to memorize the sufficient number of spells, I mean fire arrows. Or mages don't need that?

You should be able to memorize something like 5-7 (or more) fire arrow + acid arrow. That's more than enough for a single encounter. Just rest after. But it's best to just flood your level 1 spells with Burning Hands, then use that. The trolls go down when they're at 1 HP and stop attacking for a while. That's when you can kill them.

If you don't kill them in this state, after a while they'll get up with full HP.

If you do go burning hands, just watch the line from the mage to the target. Anyone in it gets burned.

Also, you can actually FIND fire arrows and acid arrows that work with a bow. Those are things anyone can use.

Also: Save these fire and acid attacks for final hits.

Mitama

Finally managed to make the blinking cursor go away! Used the compatibility administrator to force DirectDraw emulation, started the game and then enabled 3D Acceleration under Basic -> Hardware in the config. Didn't touch anything under Graphics this time and now it finally works.

Onemic

I stopped playing because of this. The enemies in there kill me within seconds. Considering it is the first real "dungeon' in the game besides the tutorial section, I just gave up and stopped playing.

Oh and AD&D ruleset is confusing as fuck. I still don't know what any of it means.

Patryn

I stopped playing because of this. The enemies in there kill me within seconds. Considering it is the first real "dungeon' in the game besides the tutorial section, I just gave up and stopped playing.

Oh and AD&D ruleset is confusing as fuck. I still don't know what any of it means.

This is why people say to start with BG1. You can learn as you go along.

BG2 is practically being thrown into the deep end without a life preserver.

subversus

I don't know, I killed all of them without any problems. Just used magic a bit and some potions. And it's not a dungeon, two rooms are not a dungeon.

Truant

bro

Onemic

I don't know, I killed all of them without any problems. Just used magic a bit and some potions. And it's not a dungeon, two rooms are not a dungeon.

The circus isn't two rooms, when you enter it transforms into a totally different building. My character doesn't use magic, so I was rendered pretty helpless. :( It's been years since I last played it, so maybe I'll give it a shot again.

Patryn

Yes way better than NWN1 but still it isn't awasome.

MotB on other hand is awasome.

Get past the beginning, and it's actually pretty damn good. They do some really interesting things with influence and your followers, and the final battle has some especially interesting mechanics going on.

subversus

The circus isn't two rooms, when you enter it transforms into a totally different building. My character doesn't use magic, so I was rendered pretty helpless. :( It's been years since I last played it, so maybe I'll give it a shot again.

yes, I know but it's two rooms. Well, three rooms if you count the one where you meet a party member. And my character doesn't use magic too, party members do.

Top Bottom