• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanic

Vinlaen said:
Are there any good engines/libraries for 2D games with XNA?

I was thinking about making something isometric (ie. Final Fantasy Tactics/Disgaea) or maybe something pixel-art based (eg. side-scroller with blood pixels, other artistic effects, etc).

For the most part, no, at least nothing complete, which I always found sort of interesting. I know XNA has only been around 3.5 years but the lack of usable engines suprised me.

Kafel said:
So what about this UK show ?

I don't really want to make myself a UK GT because I think I've read the show will be on xbox.com as well. Anyone has a link ?
It's on Inside Xbox, I don't think they put that stuff on Xbox.com. The show features Run Away, which as I've said before, is great. Try it!

Breath of Death VII is also great. Some of the humour is a bit forced but enough of it is properly funny so as to make the script fun. As a retro RPG, it's excellent. The battle system is simple but has enough depth to elevate it beyond NES RPGs. I like the choice you get when you level up too.

Laserbreaker is kind of like Breakout but controls like Bust-a-move. You fire a thing, if it hits a block of the same colour the block is destroyed. You have a limited number of shots of certain colours to clear whatever blocks you need to and then hit a glowing orb. It's alright, I mean it controls well and it's playable, it's just a bit boring...

Exelinya Burst is another cool ASB game. The hook can be used to knock enemies to the side or into other enemies where they explode. Other enemies can then be caught in the explosions to get chains and stuff. You can also grab enemies and swing them and then throw them into other enemies, like Triggerheart Exelica, hmm, Exelinya? Anyway, swinging and throwing enemies causes the same explosions/chains as before. There's a lot of scope for high scores, it seems like

Kafel

Banned
toythatkills said:
It's on Inside Xbox, I don't think they put that stuff on Xbox.com. The show features Run Away, which as I've said before, is great. Try it!

Thx. I already know this game. I found it ok, like the Impossible Game.

New Lacrosse :

http://catalog.xna.com/fr-FR/GameDe...d=2cc30325-3053-4524-a459-2bed3c87a06e&type=2

I wish other less-known sports would make an appearance on the Indie service. Like handball or badminton (though Blazing Birds on XBLA does a bit of that).

Odrion

Banned
Nose Master said:
Holy shit, Breath of Death is actually pretty god damn funny :lol sooo many game references

"What is an undead man! A miserable little pile of secrets! ... and bones."

Ah. The gameplay systems are pretty smart, too. Nothing revolutionary, but things that a lot of modern RPGs just ignore. Full HP restore after battle, partial MP resoration depending on your performance. As you wander around a dungeon, the encounter rate is less and less for every fight you do, on said floor. You can choose "Fight" on the menu, however, if you're looking to grind. Run command + the above makes exploration a loooot less tedious than it would be otherwise. Pretty good so far.
You so sold me.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
My Favorite Subtle Joe in Breath Of Death So far is When you first leave the town.

The Cinematic screen that pops up is the same that Chaz and Alys share at the beginning of Phantasy Star IV. And when he mentions this he talks about something like their "PHantastic" journey.... It really made me smile.

Also Note the name of the Continents. I'm not as sure on the first one, But the 2nd is Lufestopolis (Lufia and Estopolis combined!) And the 3rd is Motherbound (Mother and Earth Bound fused.)

I expect the unknown one to be about Final Fantasy of DQ!

"SHEPERD!" "REX!" Oy.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
SAB CA said:
"SHEPERD!" "REX!" Oy.
Haha, I glossed over that one. Awesome.

Really nice game, but there's one thing really bugging me: No ability to save on the world map? What is that?

No MP restoration items is kind of annoying too, especially since the 'magic user' only has recovery and status effect stuff (so far); The character with the less MP has all the good spells and techs that you'll actually want to be using.

Still, amazing game for $1.

Vinlaen said:
Are there any good engines/libraries for 2D games with XNA?

I was thinking about making something isometric (ie. Final Fantasy Tactics/Disgaea) or maybe something pixel-art based (eg. side-scroller with blood pixels, other artistic effects, etc).

i am unsure if there are any good 2d engines out there to use. however, i would suggest building your own. xna is extremely easy to get up and running with for 2d if you understand the most basic programming fundamentals. i've been tooling around with it for a little while now and basically have a complete 2d engine up and running. this is the first game development i've ever done and i had never worked with c# before.

if you are comfortable programming in c++ or java, you can build your own engine in xna in a relatively short amount of time. there are a lot of tutorials on the web for implementing different things and you'll learn a lot in the process.

Sanic

TheFightingFish said:
Torque X is a full 2D engine no? Pretty sure that Creator's Club members get it for free as well.

http://www.torquepowered.com/products/torquex-2d

The amount of work required to get it in a usable state, combined with (seemingly) little documentation, make it a poor choice. I only know of one person on the Creator's Club forums who use it. Of the 800+ games available on the service, i'm only aware of two powered by torque products (there may be one or two more, but I can't be certain). There's a reason more games aren't powered by torque tech. At least, this is the case to my knowledge. If i'm wrong, someone correct me :)

But as the poster below said, its honeslty better to just build your own game from scratch.

Shig said:
No MP restoration items is kind of annoying too, especially since the 'magic user' only has recovery and status effect stuff (so far); The character with the less MP has all the good spells and techs that you'll actually want to be using.

Why not use the status effects?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
PataHikari said:
Why not use the status effects?
Well, sleep is the only one I got early on, and that affects 1 enemy for 1 turn. It felt to me like the fight would be over just as soon or quicker by opting to attack every turn rather than peppering that in. Avoiding damage is a moot concern in most battles because you get your HP back after every fight.

Alec

Does anyone have an XDK, or is everyone using the XNA Game Studio on retail boxes? I just got an XDK and I want to talk about Partnernet. =)

Couple of shmuppy kinda things, neither that good.

YASS was just awful. It's ugly, sluggish, it's just no fun. It's kinda like Aegis Wing but massively bad.

Invader has the fact that it was 80pts going for it, and it looks bright enough, but it just seemed phenomenally hard to me. As if they've really fucked up the difficulty. The ship moves faaaaar too slowly to effectively dodge bullets, and bullets come thick and fast aimed at your ship so there's no memorising patterns, etc, everything is focussed on you. At the start you have to head in a straight line towards a target and soon there are about 30 enemies following you firing at you, and it's barely possible to avoid because, as I say, you're so slow. You can go back and shoot them all but it ain't easy to do with your health in tact. Even the easiest difficulty wasn't.

toythatkills said:
Couple of shmuppy kinda things, neither that good.

YASS was just awful. It's ugly, sluggish, it's just no fun. It's kinda like Aegis Wing but massively bad.

Invader has the fact that it was 80pts going for it, and it looks bright enough, but it just seemed phenomenally hard to me. As if they've really fucked up the difficulty. The ship moves faaaaar too slowly to effectively dodge bullets, and bullets come thick and fast aimed at your ship so there's no memorising patterns, etc, everything is focussed on you. At the start you have to head in a straight line towards a target and soon there are about 30 enemies following you firing at you, and it's barely possible to avoid because, as I say, you're so slow. You can go back and shoot them all but it ain't easy to do with your health in tact. Even the easiest difficulty wasn't.

Yeah Invader seemed terrible. Even on the easy mode the ships still bombard you with unavoidable fire, just doesn't do much damage.

I liked how there seemed to be different gameplay styles though, first stage was free flying, second stage was vertical scrolling. I assume it continues on like that, but the actual gameplay caused me to quit early. I'd recommend trying something like Revenge of the Evil Aliens instead

HadesGigas said:
I liked how there seemed to be different gameplay styles though, first stage was free flying, second stage was vertical scrolling.
Yeah, that's definitely a plus. Though probably not a great sell if most players can't beat the second stage :lol

Peff

Wow, Breath of Death VII is quite good, and even more so considering the price. It's a shame not many people are interested in this channel because of its rocky start, there is some great stuff there.

N4Us

All these posts are convincing me to buy BoD now. I played the trial last night but it just seemed like a generic RPG and not a parody...

Peff

N4Us said:
All these posts are convincing me to buy BoD now. I played the trial last night but it just seemed like a generic RPG and not a parody...

Oh, it is mostly an old-school JRPG, there aren't that many conversations or parody moments, but it is a good one. Heck, the dungeon design is probably better than FFXIII :lol

Alec said:
Does anyone have an XDK, or is everyone using the XNA Game Studio on retail boxes? I just got an XDK and I want to talk about Partnernet. =)

i'm just using a retail box. access to partnernet would be pretty sweet though. maybe i'll have an xdk in a year from now.

as an aside, anyone who is actually working with xna can feel free to pm me with questions or comments. also, i will be looking for pixel artists for a project in the next few months. i will say that i am looking for extremely talented artists and have the resources to compensate them appropriately. if you or anyone you know fits the bill and is interested, pm me.

Speevy

Banned
Breath of Death is more or less a self-aware, dark version of Dragon Quest.

So if you like Dragon Quest, you'll love Breath of Death.

It's one of the more polished Indie RPGs I've ever seen.

SAB CA said:
Also Note the name of the Continents. I'm not as sure on the first one, But the 2nd is Lufestopolis (Lufia and Estopolis combined!) And the 3rd is Motherbound (Mother and Earth Bound fused.)

First town is Palad-Lennus (Paladin's Quest/Lennus). Forth is Langsong, which is Langrisser/Warsong (had to google research that one).

I hope there's a town named Querrior

Gowans

Speevy said:
Breath of Death is more or less a self-aware, dark version of Dragon Quest.

So if you like Dragon Quest, you'll love Breath of Death.

It's one of the more polished Indie RPGs I've ever seen.
Is anyone gona start a thread for this, for 80points I'll play along with Gaf.

Jeeze, Breath of Death VII gets HARD. I'm on my way to Motherbound and I'm running in to some really tough enemies coming out of the Water Cave. I haven't run from a single battle, either.

Might have to do some grinding.

Sega1991 said:
Jeeze, Breath of Death VII gets HARD. I'm on my way to Motherbound and I'm running in to some really tough enemies coming out of the Water Cave. I haven't run from a single battle, either.

Since there are a set number of battles in an area, I would just try and get out if you feel you can't get through to the next area, save and restore MP at the town, and try again. Eventually you'll be able to just move through without any random battles.

Change of Color is some kind of control-wrestling game, where you have to wrestle with its controls to make it do what you want, then it just does what it wants. Or as it says:

Change of color is a 2D physics puzzle game for one player. Apply colors to objects to change their physical properties and use these new properties to solve the puzzles your works of art present to you.

OK, so you're a little painter dude in a kind of 2D platformer. You use the face buttons to switch colours and the right stick/right trigger to fire paint. This control doesn't work and just fires paint where it wants at a different degree of power depending on how the game is feeling at that precise moment. Painting stuff (if you can manage it without getting annoyed) different colours gives it different properties. Painting it red, for example, makes it really light and eventually it'll take off - at some random point with no warning. Other colours claim to do other stuff but to be honest, the only one that actually seemed to make any difference to anything was red.

Your aim is to use a bunch of blocks to get into a position to fire paint at some orbs floating around. After the tutorial, the first level puts an orb right at the very top of the screen and if you see it without rolling your eyes, saying "oh fuck it," and exiting the trial, I'll be surprised.

PataHikari said:
Since there are a set number of battles in an area, I would just try and get out if you feel you can't get through to the next area, save and restore MP at the town, and try again. Eventually you'll be able to just move through without any random battles.

Well, that's the thing. I'm on the other side of the cave heading towards Motherbound. So either I fight my way through the cave again to go back to the previous town or I press forward to Motherbound. But if I do that, then I run in to Ghoul Wolves that buff their attack and hit for as much HP as I have total.

Sega1991 said:
Well, that's the thing. I'm on the other side of the cave heading towards Motherbound. So either I fight my way through the cave again to go back to the previous town or I press forward to Motherbound. But if I do that, then I run in to Ghoul Wolves that buff their attack and hit for as much HP as I have total.
The obvious answer then is to stun and put to sleep the Ghoul Wolves. :p

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Sega1991 said:
Unload your special attacks on them without regret. They've pretty much become a requirement for me since mashing "A" for random encounters doesn't seem to be working so well anymore.

TiME K reduced to 80pts. Everyone needs it at that price, it's great.

Played Ninja Chop!! last night. Wow... Has anyone bought it? Is there a point beyond unlocking clothes and making that girl look, well, you know? It was just... wow...

qupe1975

Neo Member
On top on Time K being reduced as mentioned above, Ikaroids has also been reduced to 80pts.

I would recommend Ikaroids, definitely worth 80pts of anyones money

Ace Gals Tennis. Yeah, really. S'actually alright when you work it out, which, I think I did. Anyway, you start by picking your ridiculously boobed character and then you play as your avatar anyway for some reason. I went into a game, running is controlled, Wii Sports style, by the game. All you control is the shot timing and direction and there's only A to do that with - can't even play lobs as far as I can tell. I started off serving and was broken to love. Then I was 40-0 down in the next game and facing three match points before I got it. To then, I'd hit almost every shot wide, but then getting the timing down (essentially, hit A and the direction at once, don't hold the direction down beforehand) I pulled back to deuce and we swapped advantages for a bit before the trial ended at another match point. D'oh!

Is it the best tennis game ever? Nah. Is it decent enough for a dollar? I think it is, yeah. I mean, it's basically a simplified Wii Sports Tennis with a controller and sexxy babez.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Speevy said:
Oh good grief SOMEONE release a decent tennis game.

They've been making them since the early 70s.
I got your back man!

If you can wait another 10 years or so

Wow, Breath of Death unseated I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1NIT!!!1 as the top rated game.

Granted it has like 400 votes and Z0MB1ES has almost 40000, but still.

nli10

Kafel said:
So what about this UK show ?

I don't really want to make myself a UK GT because I think I've read the show will be on xbox.com as well. Anyone has a link ?

@robertflorence (the bloke what does it) said he's hoping to have the eps. on YouTube soon.

Ace Gals Tennis is something that in concept is just very confusing.

It's like it was started out to be designed for a perv audience:
AGT_Tris_800x600.jpg

But then instead of fleshing that out (pardon the expression), it became to a game that looks like it would appeal to casuals with avatars and one button controls:
screen4_Web.jpg

Except the buttcracks and boobs are still in the game artwork, so it would likely turn away anyone looking for a family friendly experience:
screen2_Web.jpg

qupe1975

Neo Member
Ace Gals Tennis for me was disappointing especially when you look at the effort gone into the presentation. Was hoping for a smash court tennis style game.

Ah well, Virtua Tennis is cheap as chips now anyway.

qupe1975 said:
Ace Gals Tennis for me was disappointing especially when you look at the effort gone into the presentation. Was hoping for a smash court tennis style game.

Ah well, Virtua Tennis is cheap as chips now anyway.
I think I'd have been disappointed had it asked me for more than a dollar to buy it. There are better tennis games out there which, if you've got, make this pointless. But the stuff it tries to do, it does competently. It tries to be a really simple tennis game and it is, for people who aren't really looking for the depth you'd get in a boxed game, it's great. Something to play for two weeks while Wimbledon's on and they crave a tennis game.

(I nearly said that as a one-button game with avatars, it could be a really nice introduction to tennis games for young kids. Then I remembered the artwork.)

There's definitely room for a proper SCT style game with avatars though.

Rlan

It's basically trying to make Wii Tennis for your Xbox -- no control over your character, just where it hits.

Seems so weird on an Xbox controller. Maybe they should have waited for Natal? :p

Rlan said:
It's basically trying to make Wii Tennis for your Xbox -- no control over your character, just where it hits.
It's My First XXX Tennis Game.

Easy Racing is bizarre, in a bad way. Remember that time you were playing Dragon Quest II and you thought - man, it would be awesome if this was a racing game? No? That's because it never happened.

So, it's a racing game where the tracks are RPG towns with arrows pointing you in the right direction. The presentation is ugly, the sound effects dire, and the collision detection leaves an awful lot to be desired. Also, every race seems to last 1.1 laps or something. It's priced at 400pts which is absurd, to be honest.

It's quite funny racing through shops and stuff, for a second or two, there's not anything else going for it.

Kaleidoscope and BlindGiRl are featured (waaaay in the back) in the new issue of OXM (US version). They have a new two page feature about Xbox Live Marketplace stuff, and while most of the space is dedicated to showing weird combos of avatar things to buy (yellow raincoat + monkey), theres half a page for "Current Indie Games We Love".

Sanic

I need to try Breath of Death still. Probably not my kinda game but i've heard nothing but good things about it, and the devs seem like cool guys.

Anyway, my next game could be an interesting take on a Dead Rising type formula, so we'll see how that turns out :). I learned a lot with the last release, so this next one will be polished to a shine before we put it out there.

Hmm weird, the developers website went down like right after I posted that.

So here's a bit of info on it:
Overview

In a desolate future world ruled by a military dictatorship known as the Alliance, a team of mercenaries become unlikely heroes when they are marked for dead…

Take on the role of Alpha Squad: Clint, Jin, Lynx and their disposable sidekick Lackey, as they fight their way across the world searching for who put the price on their heads.

Alpha Squad is an adventure game that has mechanics primarily used in dual-stick shooters, to keep the action fast and heavy as you explore the world and its characters.

Features

∙ An engaging storyline that delves into the issues surrounding Alpha Squad and the world in which they live.

∙ A customizable progress path. You choose what levels you want to complete, which in turn affects the way the story progresses.

∙ Over 50 levels, ranging from exploratory missions to small arenas creating a level of game play depth to provide hours of entertainment.

∙ Unforgettable weapons, ranging from staples such as the Rocket Launcher to new behemoths.

∙ Music provided by the incredible Stemage of Metroid Metal coupled with the beautiful artwork of industry veterans: Gonzalo Ordóñez, a contributor to UDON’s fantastic Street Fighter Encyclopedia artwork and several others who choose to remain anonymous at this time .

∙ Secrets hidden throughout the game providing entertainment away from the core storyline and perhaps with unintended consequences.

∙ A four player Arena mode, challenging players to survive waves of enemies on random levels.

∙ Additional features will be revealed as we get closer to release date.

25082_113059102048485_106307316056997_163108_7581657_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dragon-Divide/106307316056997

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom