• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One: Championship Edition - PSM3 Review

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
bud said:
my penis looks better than yours

Indifferent2.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
chespace said:
and 30fps does hurt the sense of speed even if the over-the-top blurring compensates for some of it.
You really shouldn't judge the sense of speed or framerate based on the demo. The demo doesn't even run at 30FPS most of the time, it's something they fixed in the final build apparently. Real 30FPS + motion blur looks good. Sub 30FPS + motion blur (which is the case with the demo) looks weird.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Marconelly said:
You really shouldn't judge the sense of speed or framerate based on the demo. The demo doesn't even run at 30FPS most of the time, it's something they fixed in the final build apparently. Real 30FPS + motion blur looks good. Sub 30FPS + motion blur (which is the case with the demo) looks weird.

It's completely fixed. Visually, the demo and the retail game look almost nothing alike. Like two different game engines.

Z3F

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
This is a joke right? Have you really played the demo?

I've played it several times again since you guys have been talking about it and the graphics still haven't impressed me like GTHD or Motorstorm. Maybe part of the unimpressiveness is due to the sterileness of F2 tracks or maybe the final version does look much better. I just expected for a bigger jump from PS2 to PS3. I could easily see why Motorstorm is only running at 30 FPS, but F1:CE just doesn't look good enough to justify a lower framerate. I guess I'll have to rent the retail version to make a final judgement. Perhaps the final version will really look completely different to me as it did to others.

Ynos Yrros said:
:lol
You couldn't be more obvious. Other than GT: HD, F1 is the best looking next-gen racing game.

You were the one who told me that people don't have to come here and defend their preferences. Seems to me that's only true with you when those preferences fit in with your own. I won't even put F1 in the top 5 for graphics among next-gen racers and your lol attitude ain't going to change that.

bud said:
my penis looks better than yours

Proof?

AlphaSnake

Z3F said:
I've played it several times again since you guys have been talking about it and the graphics still haven't impressed me like GTHD or Motorstorm. Maybe part of the unimpressiveness is due to the sterileness of F2 tracks or maybe the final version does look much better. I just expected for a jump from PS2 to PS3. I could easily see why Motorstorm is only running at 30 FPS, but F1:CE just doesn't look good enough to justify a lower framerate.

You're playing the demo? Oh God. Shut the hell up.

Z3F

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
You're playing the demo? Oh God. Shut the hell up.

I've never said otherwise. I just edited my previous post before you posted. I will reserve final judgment until I've played the version that is being sold.

AlphaSnake

Z3F said:
I've never said otherwise. I just edited my previous post before you posted. I will reserve final judgment until I've played the version that is being sold.

Go back a few pages and read my hands on preview with the retail copy.

Z3F said:
You were the one who told me that people don't have to come here and defend their preferences. Seems to me that's only true with you when those preferences fit in with your own. I won't even put F1 in the top 5 for graphics among next-gen racers and your lol attitude ain't going to change that.
My reaction would be different if your comments weren't so laughable. You said, that beyond lighting and weather effects, this game doesn't look that different than PS2 F1 games. That's obviously not true, everything sports much higher res textures in F1 PS3, and 1 model is as complex as all the grid in PS2 game. And everyone can see that jump in details, except you.

It's different to have an opinion, and it's different to make jokes, usually I laugh at jokes.

bud

For the ones who've played the demo: how does it compare to formula 1 '97 (best f1 racer i've ever played)?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ynos Yrros said:
My reaction would be different if your comments weren't so laughable. You said, that beyond lighting and weather effects, this game doesn't look that different than PS2 F1 games. That's obviously not true, everything sports much higher res textures in F1 PS3, and 1 model is as complex as all the grid in PS2 game. And everyone can see that jump in details, except you.

It's different to have an opinion, and it's different to make jokes, usually I laugh at jokes.
I wonder if he's using a 20" SDTV with composite cables? You might not be able to appreciate the differences as easily on such a setup.

Z3F

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:

Please, an opinion is an opinion. You're just a hypocrite. People that agree with you don't have to defend their opinions but if they don't, you're gonna keep badgering them until they step in line.

I can't lie to myself. GTHD & Motostorm's graphics instantly jump out at me, F1 didn't impress at first sight or after several looks. You mentioned the higher res textures but I've already talked about the higher res. That is a minimum for a jump from one gen to the next so what's the big deal? The game just doesn't look so demanding that they had to run the game at 30fps instead of 60fps. But like I said before, I'm gonna wait for the final version before making a final judgment.

Z3F

Banned
dark10x said:
I wonder if he's using a 20" SDTV with composite cables? You might not be able to appreciate the differences as easily on such a setup.

Ok, first blame the other person's eyes if he doesn't think a game look as good as you. When that fails, then blame his TV. I've a 46 Bravia 1080P LCD with HDMI and Component hooked up to my PS3, is that good enough for you?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Z3F said:
Ok, first blame the other person's eyes if he doesn't think a game look as good as you. When that fails, then blame his TV. I've a 46 Bravia 1080P LCD with HDMI and Component hooked up to my PS3, is that good enough for you?
You're being illogical, though (and using an LCD - bleh).

Ignoring the resolution jump, you have...

1) Textures - texture resolution is entirely separate from screen resolution and the textures here are far beyond what the PS2 could handle

2) Geometry - Each car in F1 is composed of a similar number of triangles as the full grid in the PS2 game. The environment is far more detailed as well.

3) In addition to those aspects, they are running all sorts of complex shaders and effects on top of the game that could never have existed on PS2. In addition, the lighting model allows for full shadows to be cast across all cars and structures (including shadows cast upon a cars own body).

There are so many other factors as well (physics, sound processing, etc.). Do those mean nothing? Technically speaking, the game is FAR beyond the PS2 titles. There is no point in arguing about it.

There are many situations where one could make similar comments about PGR3 as well. In various screenshots, the game can be made to look like sh*t. Due to the lighting model in that particular game, the quality of the visuals can vary wildly...but that doesn't take away from what it is actually rendering.

Z3F

Banned
dark10x said:
You're being illogical, though (and using an LCD - bleh).

LCDs are great as long as you're using their native resolutions. Plasmas and CRTS are better though for gaming.

dark10x said:
There are so many other factors as well (physics, sound processing, etc.). Do those mean nothing? Technically speaking, the game is FAR beyond the PS2 titles. There is no point in arguing about it..

Look, I have never argued that the PS3 version looks like the PS2 version. I've just said that the next-gen leap for this game hasn't been as impressive as it has been for some other racers. It's like what people said about NBA Live 06 and NBA 2K6 for the 360. NBA Live 06's jump was much impressive looking than NBA 2k6.

My main point was just that on a platform like the PS3, a game that looks like F1:CE should be running pretty easily at 60FPS. IMO, it doesn't even come close graphically to Motorstorm which is also running at 30FPS.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Z3F said:
My main point was just that on a platform like the PS3, a game that looks like F1:CE should be running pretty easily at 60FPS. IMO, it doesn't even come close graphically to Motorstorm which is also running at 30FPS.

I know some guys hate motion blur (why I don't understand) but it does help the fact that it's 30 fps.

Ask Alpha.

MS7XWDC

Rumour: Online limited to 20 Lap Race and the US version apears not to have the PSP Mirror Feature, while the UK version does have it.

How could the Mirrors appear in UK, but not in US version ? I doubt that any developer could do that.

Official Sony F1C Website: "Racing title debuts with PSP connectivity on the PS3"

20 Lap Maximum Online Races ? That seems to eliminate Pitstops.
And, there goes your "Run the Full Championship Online" that Graeme spoke of ....

And, Online was said to Include:

will we have damage ? Yes
pit stops ? Yes
fuel use ? Yes
Qualy ? Yes

I certainly hope these rumours are false.
This cannot be true, IMHO.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
MS7XWDC said:
Rumour: Online limited to 20 Lap Race and the US version apears not to have the PSP Mirror Feature, while the UK version does have it.

How could the Mirrors appear in UK, but not in US version ? I doubt that any developer could do that.

Official Sony F1C Website: "Racing title debuts with PSP connectivity on the PS3"

20 Lap Maximum Online Races ? That seems to eliminate Pitstops.
And, there goes your "Run the Full Championship Online" that Graeme spoke of ....

And, Online was said to Include:

will we have damage ? Yes
pit stops ? Yes
fuel use ? Yes
Qualy ? Yes

I certainly hope these rumours are false.
This cannot be true, IMHO.

let's hope that shit is falser than a mutha****a!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
the 20 laps limit is true in LAN. Dunno about online. Pitstop are still there tho, along side qualifying sessions.

MS7XWDC

I believe the twenty lap race also includes 2 scheduled pitstops, and you can have damage ON and 5 min Qualifying on too.

was the latest rumour

UGH.

Top Bottom