• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk is buyable only - no sharing.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Vaandaviii said:
Guys, you forget the fucking most basic part of all of this. PSN is FREE, so they can't allow stupid people to freely fuck over the net.

Given that the remaining options are: paying an extra Xbox Live Gold monthly fee to play online with other accounts or play against tons of clones of people that uses their live to fuck online legit players... I feel that downloading a full game at a reduced price which only you are able to play, against people that really want to play, and if they don't, they are kicked, is a NICE concept.

In X360 your brother should pay another monthly fee, and in Wii, the game would be full of a shitload of morons with simple smiley faces. My God, I LOVE this decission. Family and friends, get the fuck of my games.

I've completely forgotten about that...great point.

DemDereNads said:
Legit cases this affects - < 1%
Pirates, oh sorry... "Game Sharers" this diverted - > 99%
How exactly would making the game available to other users of your system help out pirates more than regular customers?

Sigh, the erosion of consumer rights continues.

mintylurb

Only allowing one account per game seems like a bad move on Sony's part considering xbox live gold lets one enjoy online multiplayer games under multiple profiles.

I do hope Sony quickly release a patch that would enable sub-accounts users to play the game.

Vaandaviii said:
Guys, you forget the fucking most basic part of all of this. PSN is FREE, so they can't allow stupid people to freely fuck over the net.

Given that the remaining options are: paying an extra Xbox Live Gold monthly fee to play online with other accounts or play against tons of clones of people that uses their live to fuck online legit players... I feel that downloading a full game at a reduced price which only you are able to play, against people that really want to play, and if they don't, they are kicked, is a NICE concept.

In X360 your brother should pay another monthly fee, and in Wii, the game would be full of a shitload of morons with simple smiley faces. My God, I LOVE this decission. Family and friends, get the fuck of my games.
this only makes sense if the retail version does the same thing

besides, Sony has already said they can ban by PSN ID or PS3 Console ID

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Like Y2Kev stated, the Digital Copy of Warhawk should have tied itself to something other than just your PSN account. If you can't see why the way its implimented now is an issue for some people its because your buying the game for yourself and not yourself and a sibling.

If Sony locks down one copy it would only be logical that the Retail disk had the same strings attached. They need to fix this stat.

_RT_

I never thought I would see a GAF thread that complains about giving developers their money.

WTF. Did I wake up in opposite day? It's $40 ya cheap bastids.

**let me clarify - Thread was read. This post is directed to the first 5 pages of people complaining.
However, I do agree that it is a valid request to allow more than one person on one system to play**

2007-03-25.JPG

mintylurb said:
Only allowing one account per game seems like a bad move on Sony's part considering xbox live gold lets one enjoy online multiplayer games under multiple profiles.

I do hope Sony quickly release a patch that would enable sub-accounts users to play the game.

NO, I wish not. As I said Xbox live only allows to play online those players that PAY their service. As service is free for sony, a balanced online game would become a mess if you allow everybody to enter freely.

They can allow entering online mode for offline games that have it as a extra. If a game is based on the online, and only on the online, the usage must be restricted in some way.

It's hard to assume, but they have made the right movement, the best for us as "PAYERS" and the best for the online experience of Warhawk.

_RT_

The Faceless Master said:
no, really?

I read the thread. The ONLY valid point is the complaint about different users on the same PS3. Which I can appreciate. And I agree with.

My comment was directed to the first 5 pages. Thanks.

DCharlie

Banned
NO, I wish not. As I said Xbox live only allows to play online those players that PAY their service. As service is free for sony, a balanced online game would become a mess if you allow everybody to enter freely.

They can allow entering online mode for offline games that have it as a extra. If a game is based on the online, and only on the online, the usage must be restricted in some way.

It's hard to assume, but they have made the right movement, the best for us as "PAYERS" and the best for the online experience of Warhawk.

um... err... what?

I`m not sure i`m getting this - everyone has to buy their own copy , therefore fewer people get in, therefore fewer ass holes get in ?

If so, i hope MS counters with $200 games! ;)

(i`m sure i`m missing your point here , obviously!)

Raist

Banned
Ok, the problem is that if they allow multiple accounts to play the game, game sharing will be enabled. So they have to find another way, like linking the game to the MAC adress for instance. But if they do this (provided they can, I don't know to what extent that's possible), you'd get only one ID per console, so I guess rankings would only apply to one account ?

_RT_ said:
i still didn't read the thread
shocking!

Raist said:
Ok, the problem is that if they allow multiple accounts to play the game, game sharing will be enabled. So they have to find another way, like linking the game to the MAC adress for instance. But if they do this (provided they can, I don't know to what extent that's possible), you'd get only one ID per console, so I guess rankings would only apply to one account ?
if they can allow a game to work on 5 consoles via game sharing, they can allow it to work with 1.

ex0du5

Banned
They should definitely allow more than 1 account to access it on the console. Hopefully they implement that in the future. For now, just play it off the account you bought it on, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

One thing though, and they should learn this from Epic. They should allow everyone to download the dedicated server for free, so that people who don't have the game can run dedicated servers. This will increase the population of servers, and for no extra cost.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Raist said:

The way I see it, Ranking would still be based on PSN account but the whole DRM shenanigans would be tied to the actual Hardware.

Number 2 said:
wth? You have the full right to NOT purchase if this bothers you. You control the vertical. This isnt water.
Excellent. All one must do to maintain their rights is avoid an awesome game. Fantastic choice, and I'm sure given their callow coke addict-like personalities, most gamers will make the right choice.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
um... err... what?

I`m not sure i`m getting this - everyone has to buy their own copy , therefore fewer people get in, therefore fewer ass holes get in ?

If so, i hope MS counters with $200 games! ;)

(i`m sure i`m missing your point here , obviously!)

D.C., we cannot have games which are only playable by you, Bill Gates, Rupert Murdoch, and few other billionaires :p!

BlueTsunami said:
The way I see it, Ranking would still be based on PSN account but the whole DRM shenanigans would be tied to the actual Hardware.

I'd agree with that only if the hardware its tied to can be changed in the event you need to replace the PS3 hardware. Also just make it where only one PS3 can be tied to the system

This doesn't affect me since i'm the only one that'll use my PS3 and i have a headset already so i'm going with the $40 version

Gattsu25

Banned
gketter said:
I'd agree with that only if the hardware its tied to can be changed in the event you need to replace the PS3 hardware. Also just make it where only one PS3 can be tied to the system

This doesn't affect me since i'm the only one that'll use my PS3 and i have a headset already so i'm going with the $40 version
Just make it so that a PSN account can only be tied to one MAC at a time

Charles

This affects me because I already have a headset and my main PSN account (the one with all the friends on) is set in a godforsaken country with no PSN.

So my only options are to create a new account based in the US and transport my friends there (very inconvienient), or buy the Blu Ray version and get stuck with an extra headset. Problem with that is that the Blu-Ray version of Warhawk is one month away from Europe, but comes out in the US tomorrow. However if I bought that I'd still have an extra headset. So can you see how the situation is less than ideal?

DCharlie

Banned
Right , time to give this thread what it really needs !

A tasty review!

Seriously - is this what all the fuss was about? Christ , what the f is wrong with you people ? have you NEVER played an online game or something? this game is utter TRASH and is the absolute pinacle of why PS3 fans have gone lost thier minds. If some of you can elevate this to a AAA game that`s worth defending to the hilt then seriously... you`re all deluded. Graphically it`s an absolute mess, controls are awful, the gameplay is ill balanced, and it throws you straight in at the deep end. And for an absolutely HOOOORENDUSSS price of $39.99. And for what? 780 meg? This was one of those "can`t be done without bluray" games and , in the end, it could have slotted onto a CD with a bit more planning. Shessh , way to invalidate everything you claimed about the necessity of Bluray! I can`t believe you all like this so much, and i can`t believe Xbots are wasting their time hating on this. 6.5/10 was around 4 points too high. Failed.

hahaha... got you! It`s friggen great! only played a couple of games (one of which seemed to crash, but hey) - once i`d flipped the axis controls, i was good to go and was merrily getting my ass shot down over and over again. Even Mrs C poked her head in and watched for a while and she was impresed with the gameplay so much that she might even turn on her PS3 to play this *GASP*. I look forward to being shot down by many people in weeks to come. Strong title - i don`t mean to be -that guy- but as someone who is particularly slow at picking up online games, i would have liked a bot setting a la Shadowrun so i could pop caps in some targets so i didn`t get absolutely slaughtered once i got online.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
DCharlie said:

A tasty review!

Seriously - is this what all the fuss was about? Christ , what the f is wrong with you people ? have you NEVER played an online game or something? this game is utter TRASH and is the absolute pinacle of why PS3 fans have gone lost thier minds. If some of you can elevate this to a AAA game that`s worth defending to the hilt then seriously... you`re all deluded. Graphically it`s an absolute mess, controls are awful, the gameplay is ill balanced, and it throws you straight in at the deep end. And for an absolutely HOOOORENDUSSS price of $39.99. And for what? 780 meg? This was one of those "can`t be done without bluray" games and , in the end, it could have slotted onto a CD with a bit more planning. Shessh , way to invalidate everything you claimed about the necessity of Bluray! I can`t believe you all like this so much, and i can`t believe Xbots are wasting their time hating on this. 6.5/10 was around 4 points too high. Failed.

hahaha... got you! It`s friggen great! only played a couple of games (one of which seemed to crash, but hey) - once i`d flipped the axis controls, i was good to go and was merrily getting my ass shot down over and over again. Even Mrs C poked her head in and watched for a while and she was impresed with the gameplay so much that she might even turn on her PS3 to play this *GASP*. I look forward to being shot down by many people in weeks to come. Strong title - i don`t mean to be -that guy- but as someone who is particularly slow at picking up online games, i would have liked a bot setting a la Shadowrun so i could pop caps in some targets so i didn`t get absolutely slaughtered once i got online.

DCharlie -> Review -> Ignore ... Oh wait. So you liked the tilt controls? First time I tried them I looked like a new born deer falling all over the place.

_RT_ said:
I never thought I would see a GAF thread that complains about giving developers their money.

WTF. Did I wake up in opposite day? It's $40 ya cheap bastids.

**let me clarify - Thread was read. This post is directed to the first 5 pages of people complaining.
However, I do agree that it is a valid request to allow more than one person on one system to play**

2007-03-25.JPG
do a search on gaf for BOHICA.

it's not opposite day. the only thing notable is that this is normally directed at Microsoft.

DCharlie said:

A tasty review!

Dang, I know I got suckered there. Best plot twist since KotOR.

Oni Jazar

So let me get this straight.

We've got 7 pages of:

Not complaining that they can't share it with friends (because that would be bad for devs)

Not complaining that they can't play it on the same machine (because anyone in the house can play on the same account - even at the same time)

complaining because people's brothers wants their own stats. (even though they have the option of buying the BD version)

That sounds pretty minor.

Ken Masters said:
so people are mad that Sony isn't letting them DL a $40 game for free of someone else?

Sony and there evil ways............
no. they're mad that it only works for one PSN login on the same PS3.

DCharlie

Banned
So you liked the tilt controls? First time I tried them I looked like a new born deer falling all over the place.

I played around in an empty map, didn`t like it at first, then got used to it, then switched back to regular. Had to switch off the U/D reverse though. It`s been really weird - ever since god knows when i always used to have U/D reversed, but about 2 years ago my brain suddenly couldn`t handle it! It`s maybe an old folks thang!

i deeply enjoyed flack cannoning a bypassing plane out of the sky - lol, i`m actually thinking about how good this would be with 16 player LAN party action.

Stand alone disk now on order too.

Ranger X

So if ever i change my PS3, will i be able to recover Warhawk on my new one? I will be able to recover my account after all.

Ranger X said:
So if ever i change my PS3, will i be able to recover Warhawk on my new one? I will be able to recover my account after all.
Yes. You can play it with your PSN account on other PS3s (up to five?), but with a minimum 24 hour gap between different hardware it seems.

No fears on that front.

plagiarize said:

that does suck, but it's the only way of stopping people from sharing with others

I just hope this isn't with future PSN titles like Wipeout HD

tanod

when is my burrito
Panajev2001a said:
I think this should be challenged in court and have the same status as physical media that is bought in a store.

It's already the same. Even though you buy a disc, you are only buying a license to use that software. Hence the licensing agreement in the manual or, if gaming on a PC, the EULA.

Ken Masters said:
that does suck, but it's the only way of stopping people from sharing with others

I just hope this isn't with future PSN titles like Wipeout HD
It's not the only way by any means. But it *is* the easiest way.

Ranger X

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes. You can play it with your PSN account on other PS3s (up to five?), but with a minimum 24 hour gap between different hardware it seems.

No fears on that front.

So this means IT IS shareable...

plagiarize said:

that's the fallback. the real reason most of them are mad is because, for some crazy ass reason, they thought it would be sharable.

Ranger X said:
So this means IT IS shareable...
It's only playable through your account, not other accounts on the same hardware, and there must be a span of 24 hours between logins on different hardware as well. I think it's mostly airtight.

WickedLaharl said:
that's the fallback. the real reason most of them are mad is because, for some crazy ass reason, they thought it would be sharable.

What is really funny is that everyone calls it "game sharing" and it is probably meant to be used in the event that your PS3 fails and you have to download games to your new PS3.

ex0du5

Banned
DCharlie said:

A tasty review!

<3 plot twist am win!

DoctorWho said:
What is really funny is that everyone calls it "game sharing" and it is probably meant to be used in the event that your PS3 fails and you have to download games to your new PS3.
Well, to be fair, Jack Tretton himself has endorsed this type of use.

Draft

Completely reasonable though perhaps Sony should consider branding their PSN games into two catagories- full fledge games that aren't shareable, and XBL Arcade style titles that are. Obviously common sense dictates that the more expensive a game is the less likely you'll be able to share it, but it's always nice to assume you're dealing the LCD and label things accordingly. "Caution: Coffee Is Hot" if you will.

WickedLaharl said:

1) Sony brags about game sharing as a feature.
2) All PSN games, including 'large' title Tekken 5 DR ($20 base + $10 for online) are shareable until now.

How would it be 'crazy ass' to think that Warhawk could be shareable? :lol

beermonkey@tehbias said:
1) Sony brags about game sharing as a feature.
2) All PSN games, including 'large' title Tekken 5 DR ($20 base + $10 for online) are shareable until now.

How would it be 'crazy ass' to think that Warhawk could be shareable? :lol

i don't give a shit what sony said. common sense told me that a 40$ downloadable game WOULD NOT be sharable.

would it have been nice? hell yeah! but i wasn't expecting it.

DeaconKnowledge said:
How the hell did this go 4 pages? There's nothing wrong with this.
Few had problems with the "no-sharing", Deacon. It hit multi-page disagreement when it was found that with the digital version of the game, only the account it was downloaded with can play the game on any individual hardware unit. Hence, those with multiple gamers in their household are somewhat chuffed that they either have to share a "save slot" or buy multiple copies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'd say people voicing displeasure over "minor" issues is a great thing in this context. MS, and Sony especially, is pretty new to DD and I can only think (OK, hope) that they'll take into account feedback regarding the way the system is set up and refine the system going forward. Stuff like game sharing in general and other features shows to me that Sony appears to care at least somewhat about these consumer benefits/concerns. The quicker issues get ironed out, the better the system will be in the future.

Firewire

Banned
shagg_187 said:
One question. If i buy the disc instead of thru PSN, can me and my bro play on the same system but under different accounts?

I think so, because the disc version would be tied to your machine. But I'm not 100% sure.

Top Bottom