• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Director: 'I know in the West characters have to be realistic [...] but I hope people will perceive it as just another fun action game'

Stellar Blade Director, Kim Hyung Tae, was asked if he was aware of some Western media outlets expressing concern over the portrayal of female characters in his upcoming game. In response, he expressed his hope that people will view Stellar Blade as just another fun action game. Full quote below:

“I know that in the West, game characters have to be realistic in many ways and that there are numerous issues involved, such as gender and racial diversity.

But Stellar Blade is only an entertainment and cultural work. I hope people will look at it as just another fun action game that has been released.”

Source - Genki over on X

Full Interview in Korean is available here - https://bbs.ruliweb.com/news/read/195030

GrayDock

Simple Plan Ghosts GIF by CBS

I know he's probably just being cheeky, but I hope someone can confirm that he is aware that millions of western gamers =/= pretentious activist journalists trying to score virtue points with each other on the interwebs.

I hope this game is a resounding success so that he and his team make more like it!!!

Atrus

Gold Member
It’s a cultural issue where each culture will depict characters in accordance to their marketing preferences.

There is the Asian beauty standard where people in general aspire to look attractive and then there’s the Western beauty standard where the loud, attention seeking minority attempts to badger everyone else into submission as they slide out of gene pool.

tmlDan

Love his mentality, i hope its super successful.

I tried playing Nikke as well and i was shocked it actually had a story and is one of the better mobile games ive played. Shaking asses aside lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Western devs can make whatever the fuck they want, thats their choice....my issues is they think everyone need follow what they do and if they dont they are wrong......basically western gaming culture think they above everyone one else.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
My friend, dont let the minority loud woke pussyoles rep the whole of the west, we are sorry for them and wish death upon them but most of us want characters like Eve. It may be the last beautiful character we see after a while as soon we will see the new Tomb Raider and by the looks of it shes transitioning and overdoseing on testosterone and roids. Thank you and we wish you great succsess with Stella Blade, not often im excited for a game but I am with this and thats not todo with the characters, gen up looks decent.

Fbh

Sounds to me like he is basically saying
"Chill out, it's just a videogame"
Which seems like the appropriate response.

The entire argument about her proportions and body being realistic or not seem silly to me. Even if they aren't realistic, so fucking what? It's an action game about some (robot?) chicks fighting monsters with swords.
You've got tons of social media "influencers" with millions of followers destroying the mental health of the youth with their fake perfect lives and looks which they actually try to present as real, and somehow we still have people unironically worrying about "b..but how will this over the top Korean action game affect young men and women!?!?!?!?!?"

Last edited:
Looking at pre-orders, Stellar Blade is on track to be #1 worldwide!

#1 Pre-order in:- USA- Japan- China- Korea- Romania- Germany- India- UK- Switzerland- Finland- Czech Republic- Hungary- Canada- Argentina- Turkey- Denmark- Brazil- Indonesia- Colombia- Sweden- Luxembourg- Cyprus- New Zealand- Australia- Norway- Poland- Greece- Netherlands- Mexico- Switzerland

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Western developers don't pursuit realism, they pursuit ugly.
All I have to do is go outside and I'll find dozens of women that look way better than most modern, female, western, characters.

In my opinion, it's just a game. Characters can be green/blue whatever. Doesn't matter. So long as we get different types of characters in different games... Who cares? If every character was realistic and the same, that isn't diversity either

Last edited:

stn

Lowkey saying the West is ugly. :D Seriously though, the game looks awesome and I am personally thrilled we're getting a proper character action game (its my favorite genre overall, probably). I pre-ordered the moment it was announced and I have no regrets. Its gonna be awesome.

Top Bottom