• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade devs on why the protagonist is sexy: "That's what players want most of the time"

Draugoth

Gold Member
project-eve-stellar-blade.jpg

"This is entertainment for adults"

The director of upcoming action RPG Stellar Blade says that one of the game's most distinctive marketing beats exists because of the "special attention" put into the reverse side of the lead character's model.

Speaking to GamesRadar+, game director Hyung-Tae Kim (via translator) discussed the character design of protagonist Eve. That design, built around the body scan of Korean model Shin Jae-eun, has been a focus of Stellar Blade's early trailers, and while we now know much more about Eve, Kim suggests that that's deliberate.

"When it comes to the design, we put special attention on the back of the character because the player is always facing the back of the character when they're playing," he said. "That's what they see the most of, so we thought this was pretty important.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I mean, even outside of that obvious reason, and good for them for being so plain about it, very refreshing, she's clearly not human. Robot? Not sure I know enough about the game to say but clearly altered / not human.

Who would not make super hot robots? Why would you put flaws on something you can make perfect?

SSfox

I honestly feel that it's so dumb that a dev have to explain such things. Also it almost feel like it's something problematic or wrong that a video game character can look pretty or sexy, specially in an era where there real "issues" like innocent people are being killed just because of their ethnicity, race or religions.

Like get over it, people that don't like Stellar Blade or have issues with it just move on and play another game, instead of trying to question "why this why that" like hypocrites rats.

Anyway can't wait this is gonna be very fun game.

Last edited:
no shit sherlock ... weird that this even can be a question to be answered and almost is a stunning and brave statement nowadays. The same logic is also correct when not wanting to seriously look at a Fiat Multipla in GT7 and a McDonell XF85 in Ace Combat.
Same as woman wanting their bags to have labels like MK, Gucci, Versace or whatever and sparkly watches or phone cases. Girls usually having posters of boybands or whoever on their walls and not necessarily Steve Buscemi, or me....
People want to look at pleasing things, living or objects. duh

Boss Mog

Smart man.

The thing is, also, in South Korea, girls want their female characters to be hot and have sexy outfits maybe even more than guys do.

kyussman

That makes sense,obviously a guy who has no issues critical thinking.......bit different to western devs who are now following ideology when making their games.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
He is right. There is a reason just about every selectable human character in Tekken 8 looks like a model. Even King is probably handsome under that mask.
You know he is the most handsome of them all, plus he's good with kids.
You better believe some lucky gal would have put her hands on him already if he did not vow chastity.

Beauty is one thing.

Shoving the protagonist's butt in your face all the time is another thing entirely.

This is beauty and grace combined, for instance, enhanced by the power of playstation

JmSkyus.jpg
You are goddam right (i just took upon myself to change your exemple for more dramatic effect).

Top Bottom