• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade | Preview Thread

The mecha looks sweet. At least one level of air combat (against the lovecraftian space monstrosity). There's a good variety of stuff going on.

Finally went through the demo and Boss mode last night. Disgustingly fun throughout. The combat is going to hard carry this game into goty discussions. Just a fucking treat to play.

Speaking of which, usually I suck at parrying in most games to the point of not even bothering, but in this game it's actually easier (even before skills) to pull off most times than dodge for some reason. Not sure why but I just can't nail the timing of it. Meanwhile my perfect parry has been a lot more consistent.

Crayon

Finally went through the demo and Boss mode last night. Disgustingly fun throughout. The combat is going to hard carry this game into goty discussions. Just a fucking treat to play.

Speaking of which, usually I suck at parrying in most games to the point of not even bothering, but in this game it's actually easier (even before skills) to pull off most times than dodge for some reason. Not sure why but I just can't nail the timing of it. Meanwhile my perfect parry has been a lot more consistent.

The dodge is done on typical timing, but the parry must be done way earlier than most games. Some people are actually finding it very hard to adapt to that. Maybe your problem doing parries in other games is that you're always doing it early?

Last edited:
The Dodge is done on typical timing, but the Perry must be done way earlier than most games. Some people are actually finding it very hard to adapt to that. Maybe your problem doing Perry's in other games is that you're always doing it early?
It's possible. Finally! A game with weird timing that matches my own! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The dodge is done on typical timing, but the parry must be done way earlier than most games. Some people are actually finding it very hard to adapt to that. Maybe your problem doing parries in other games is that you're always doing it early?
Yeah she does little animation before parry, similar in how Sora in Kingdom hearts does little spin before blocks.

Crayon

Yeah she does little animation before parry, similar in how Sora in Kingdom hearts does little spin before blocks.

Same startup to get the normal block, too. I've taken many, many hits because I'm fluttering the block button like it's near-instant like most games.

Just started the demo, already angry there is only "story mode" and "normal" difficulty levels. WTF is up with Japanese developers hiding the "hard" difficulty until after completing the game? I rarely play a game more than once. Absolute cunts if that is the case here

kevm3

Just started the demo, already angry there is only "story mode" and "normal" difficulty levels. WTF is up with Japanese developers hiding the "hard" difficulty until after completing the game? I rarely play a game more than once. Absolute cunts if that is the case here

Hard mode is pretty much you using the skin suit

solidus12

The game’s install size will be around 35gb

lmBiPjd.jpg

Tommi84

WTF is up with Japanese developers hiding the "hard" difficulty until after completing the game?
The hard-er mode is when you play with skin suit (you don't have a shiels then). However, it does seem there'll be a hard mode option that will be available after first completion

Aenima

I just started a second run on the demo again, and went to the training mode to take a better look at the skills, ( I recommend ppl doing this, you will understand the combat mechanics much better) and yeah, parrying not only is easier than dodging, its safer and the game mechanics reward perfect parries by making the enemies vulnurable for a retribution attack.

Dodge dont have i-frames unless you hit a perfect dodge. The safer dodge is the back dodge just by pressing circle without the directional thumbstick, you can press the circle 2 times for a double dodge backwards that places you much more distant from the enemy, great to use against enemies that do AOE attacks like explosions. Dodge dont seem to offer any combat advantage besides avoiding attacks that cant be parried.

The reason parry is safer is because parry uses the same button as Guard, so if you miss the parry timming you can still guard againt the attack. Or you can just have your guard up and still parry by letting go the button and pressing it again very fast.

Said it before, and i say it again, this game will be a serious GOTY contender.

Aenima

Have your guard up, then to parry just let go the button and press it again, its faster than if she has the sword down and i manage to nail the parries like a boss even without the parry upgrade. I parried the Brute Boss from the beach so much i finished the combat with a retribution attack. Felt so good.

Madflavor

Hard Mode does indeed unlock after completing the base game. The Skin Suit is sort've a soft-Hard Mode if you wanna restrict yourself from having shields. Personally I don't see the issue, the game is already challenging as is. So to me a Hard difficulty adds to it's replayability.

Said it before, and i say it again, this game will be a serious GOTY contender.

I hope so, and it's certainly one of my most anticipated games this year, but the last game similar to this that came out was Lies of P, and that's sitting at an 80 on MC. And that's a pretty damn good game.

I still believe this game will land somewhere between 75 - 85 on MC, and will have a solid fanbase. But Black Myth is also coming out this year, so in terms of Action Games, Stellar Blade will have tough competition.

Aenima

Hard Mode does indeed unlock after completing the base game. The Skin Suit is sort've a soft-Hard Mode if you wanna restrict yourself from having shields. Personally I don't see the issue, the game is already challenging as is. So to me a Hard difficulty adds to it's replayability.

I hope so, and it's certainly one of my most anticipated games this year, but the last game similar to this that came out was Lies of P, and that's sitting at an 80 on MC. And that's a pretty damn good game.

I still believe this game will land somewhere between 75 - 85 on MC, and will have a solid fanbase. But Black Myth is also coming out this year, so in terms of Action Games, Stellar Blade will have tough competition.
Black Myth is looking promissing too, but im worried about how well it will run on consoles.

The demo doesn't abuse of story exposition (which is better storytelling), but there are a few things that raise interesting questions. Don't read if you have not finished the demo:

- Monsters don't look "alien" at all. Those are Resident Evil / Silent Hill mindless creatures. I can't see how they came from outer space so I think they didn't.

- It's Eve's first real combat. She's like a child, doesn't know what a map or rain is. So these are soldiers sent to the meat-grinder, which tells me a lot about her superiors.

- I won't mention the most obvious twist because we have already seen it in trailers.

- I feel very intrigued by Tachy's words right before fighting the winged monster. It feels like one of those out-of-context words that cheeky writers put there as a hint hidden in broad light and I love that (mostly cos I also do it, lol)

Aenima

The demo doesn't abuse of story exposition (which is better storytelling), but there are a few things that raise interesting questions. Don't read if you have not finished the demo:

- Monsters don't look "alien" at all. Those are Resident Evil / Silent Hill mindless creatures. I can't see how they came from outer space so I think they didn't.

- It's Eve's first real combat. She's like a child, doesn't know what a map or rain is. So these are soldiers sent to the meat-grinder, which tells me a lot about her superiors.

- I won't mention the most obvious twist because we have already seen it in trailers.

- I feel very intrigued by Tachy's words right before fighting the winged monster. It feels like one of those out-of-context words that cheeky writers put there as a hint hidden in broad light and I love that (mostly cos I also do it, lol)
Reading the Character, Monsters, Items, and quest descriptions, you already have a good idea of the initial story.

Thers a good amount of storytelling just there.

EVE knows what maps are, she just not aware of the concept of a map on a paper. EVE comes from a space colony, its her 1st time on Earth experiencing rain. Adam is a scavanger from Earth that managed to survive
Naytibas are far from mindless, they evolve and adapt very fast. The brute on the beach is using 2 machine cores to enhance his attacks (The 2 red balls)

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Black Myth is looking promissing too, but im worried about how well it will run on consoles.

That Chinese action game with the Samurai-luke dude that got shown a couple of months ago also looked beautiful and intriguing - hope it plays similarly to SB and not some kind of automated QTE-fest

Edit : This one

Last edited:
That Chinese action game with the Samurai-luke dude that got shown a couple of months ago also looked beautiful and intriguing - hope it plays similarly to SB and not some kind of automated QTE-fest

Edit : This one

This full-on looks like if Sekiro had a bunch of cutscenes filled with stuff you never end up doing in-game. Like when TPS have cutscenes with crazy backflips and leaping from buildings, then you play and you move like a wet bag of sand and take fall damage.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah but even those usually have something else in the trailer, this is purely for the creatures, you don't see anything else, not even a background.

More devs should make these type of trailers.
It just shows they proud of their creature design and they should be because so far they look great.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
what's with all the game size posts I see everywhere.
Why does it matter. That's an overflow of information

Top Bottom