• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade devs on why the protagonist is sexy: "That's what players want most of the time"

2ZMRC8O.jpg

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Pure bullshit. Resetera is the absolute worst gaming forum on the net. As soon as I saw that bastard ZeoVGM respond I knew it was over for that forum user.

Poor dude probably got banned.

Welp....you called it.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Pure bullshit. Resetera is the absolute worst gaming forum on the net. As soon as I saw that bastard ZeoVGM respond I knew it was over for that forum user.

Welp....you called it.

They only allow you to compliment transgender and men in that forum :messenger_winking:

"..I guess women just aren't seen as people by some.."

They're great at projecting their own disconnect with reality.

Finding women to be conventionally attractive and regarding them as people are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Also, this an aesthetically pleasing arrangement of pixels in an absurd videogame, not a woman.

Men are objectified, not to the same extent as women are, but they are. Just look at how the perfect man are perceived by pop culture, strong, muscular or skinned with timothée chalamet face.

03e17d48aad7a653e803d47ce7acc597

This is Leon face Actor,

Just imagine what he has to deal with when walking around the street.

Last edited:

Majukun

What’s point gaming forum like that if you can’t express your opinion?

You can’t even have proper discussion because you get banned if you disagree with them…..pure dictatorship.
yeah, I dislike the other forum nowhere as much as some people here, there's some good content and posters there, but the mod team is an absolute embarassment and has no idea what the world "moderation" means

nkarafo

I am so fucking ecstatic those pathetic fuckers have no power whatsoever on what those Asian developers want to do and all they can is to meltdown all the time.

They don't have that power yet.

And it seems they have enough power to poison most western devs with their ideology, which they do for many years now.

We are losing this my man. The fact that this topic is so controversial and threads like this exists means we may won a battle or two but we have lost the war.

Code Vein and Scarlet Nexus are mid? Good to know. I love mid games.
Scarlet Nexus was really fun. I even watched the anime as it released. I still need to go back and play through as the other protagonist.

Code Vein was also a blast. Played it non-stop at release. I almost got the platinum, and that is rare for me.

These are both certainly “AA” games, but well worth playing!

Skifi28

Why do they need to validate him though whenever he is with them?
I don't know about validating, It's basically that annoying colleague where you don't want to create drama and just nod when he says stupid things to be polite. Probably not the best solution for a big channel, but I get it.

nkarafo

I don't know about validating, It's basically that annoying colleague where you don't want to create drama and just nod when he says stupid things to be polite. Probably not the best solution for a big channel, but I get it.
I believe they do it because they want to virtue signal and not lose whatever status they have on Era. Which is even worse because that means they are also dishonest. I don't like Alex and his views but at least he is honest.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Yeah but like… is the game any good?

Idc if she looks like Duff Man or like Mia Khalifa, but if it’s a shit game then who cares?

The trailers for this game haven’t made me think this is hype and I’m a fan of DMC, Vanquish, etc.

Hope it’s actually good.

Making an account now on Era just to see how fast I get banned after commenting the great ass of Stellar Blades' protagonist.
Edit: My pronouns are He Him Penis

Guess I won't make it past validation..

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It’s reasons like this why we NEED Japanese, Korean and Asian developers in general working in the gaming industry. They are not afraid to think outside the box and go against the norm. Their games generally offer things other developers cannot or will not do. It could even be jealousy for reasons I won’t go into now. It’s a shame he has to explain himself though. Let developers and creators create the games and visions they want to make. If people don’t like it, just don’t buy it.

Cultures that are not dominated by neo-Puritan secular monotheistic strictures are making more interesting art.

Last edited:

Madonis

Like I've said before, I'm totally alright with seeing attractive characters in games more often. Absolutely, go right ahead. Doesn't mean every single character of every single game needs to look like this, which is where I think some folks tend to overreact these days, both positively and negatively.

I still want this game to find its own identity outside of vaguely coming across like Nier Automata: Korean Edition. Not that it would be super bad if it didn't, but one can hope!

Eiknarf

Banned
Exactly. All western games now must have uglified girl bosses otherwise it is bad. It's like watching Game of Thrones and all female characters look and act like Bryanne of Tarth. What made her special was her rarity and uniqueness, compared to the other women.
I raise a question:

A few pages back I compiled an image of the female leads in Spider-Man 2, Horizon Zero Dawn and Control… and compared em to the lead in Stellar Blade.

You may have noticed I didn’t put any of the lead females from The Last of Us in that because I don’t feel that is a fair comparison.

Because the world in which The Last of Us takes place is a post-apocalyptic world where there is no access to healthcare, there’s no access to make up, there’s no nice clothing, there’s no access to hair salons, eating healthy is almost impossible…etc so people are not going to look good. Male or female.

Isn’t that why the leads can be seen as “not attractive”?

Because if you took Abby or Ellie and got their hair done, and make-up done, and dressed and cleaned em up nice…etc they would look a lot better than they do, right?

Spider-Man 2. Control. Horizon zero Dawn have no excuse for making their female leads unattractive .

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

They only allow you to compliment transgender and men in that forum :messenger_winking:

Men are objectified, not to the same extent as women are, but they are. Just look at how the perfect man are perceived by pop culture, strong, muscular or skinned with timothée chalamet face.

03e17d48aad7a653e803d47ce7acc597

This is Leon face Actor,

Just imagine what he has to deal with when walking around the street.

Men are objectified as "success/financial" objects by women. Meaning it's not about who he is as a person, but how he can improve her life financially. The NBA had to put out a notice telling players how to properly dispose of their condoms because there were numerous incidents being reported of women stealing the semen from out of their condoms. Most recently the musician Drake stopped a women's attempt at doing this by pouring hot sauce in his condom post sex. Another example is women willingly engaging in sexual activity with a men of status, then on the back end using that fact and the threat of revealing personal info about him to extort money.

Last edited:

_Ex_

Looking forward to Stellar Blade selling millions, thoroughly proving to misguided woke western devs/publishers that SEX SELLS DEFINITIVELY. And the desire to, I don't know, make a profit perhaps(?) will bring sexy girls back to western gaming again. Idealism doesn't pay dividends, but dat ass do.

belmarduk

This is such an obvious point I wouldn't think anyone would even need to make it.
Nobody wants to play games with characters who like like fat, ugly Reseterans.

Ar¢tos

I wonder if the devs keep the design exactly as it is, but add the option to make her trans and add a bulge between the legs, will they get endless praises from Era?

Mirumi

Neo Member
My biggest issue in all this is the double standards western media and social media takes.

Video Game Women must be normal or "not attractive" because it takes away from the game.
Yet EVERY TV show and movie must have outrageously attractive movie stars with perfect skin, teeth and ratios.

For those that don't like the game, it's fine, don't play/preorder. There is no shame in that. Go about your day as you are not the target audience member. You can say your piece, but likewise we shouldn't argue either. Let the sales of the ones that like this thing decide if the game is successful or not.

My biggest issue in all this is the double standards western media and social media takes.

Video Game Women must be normal or "not attractive" because it takes away from the game.
Yet EVERY TV show and movie must have outrageously attractive movie stars with perfect skin, teeth and ratios.

For those that don't like the game, it's fine, don't play/preorder. There is no shame in that. Go about your day as you are not the target audience member. You can say your piece, but likewise we shouldn't argue either. Let the sales of the ones that like this thing decide if the game is successful or not.
not always. They shove on our faces how beautiful the ultra-fat "model" is with the huge belly and the nonexistent tits and a body identical to that of 55-year-old overweight men.

Nickolaidas

I raise a question:

A few pages back I compiled an image of the female leads in Spider-Man 2, Horizon Zero Dawn and Control… and compared em to the lead in Stellar Blade.

You may have noticed I didn’t put any of the lead females from The Last of Us in that because I don’t feel that is a fair comparison.

Because the world in which The Last of Us takes place is a post-apocalyptic world where there is no access to healthcare, there’s no access to make up, there’s no nice clothing, there’s no access to hair salons, eating healthy is almost impossible…etc so people are not going to look good. Male or female.

Isn’t that why the leads can be seen as “not attractive”?

Because if you took Abby or Ellie and got their hair done, and make-up done, and dressed and cleaned em up nice…etc they would look a lot better than they do, right?

Spider-Man 2. Control. Horizon zero Dawn have no excuse for making their female leads unattractive .
I don't think that post-apocalyptic settings mean there can not be beautiful or sexy women. I mean, SURE, if you go for immersion, they may lack make-up? They may have dirt on their face. Granted. But they can STILL be sexy and beautiful.

iAVBBsE.jpg

This girl is quite cute, even with the freckles and without the make up. I don't think that a Mad Max or the Last of Us character looking like that would be too much to ask.

While this?!
xmqHNFo.png

This is literally uglification. Especially when Mary Jane is being CANNONICALLY drop-dead gorgeous. So when a character IN-LORE is gorgeous and you purposefully uglify them (and I don't care what setting your story is, if the writer says the character is gorgeous, they're gorgeous), you are in the wrong.

Warning, personal rant follows: Now, my problem in post-apocalyptic settings, ironically, isn't with the faces or the lack of butt/tits thickness, but with the utter lack of suspension of disbelief in terms of how women are portrayed in such a setting. There is no way in FUCK, that in a post-apocalyptic society where we basically have the Law of the Jungle, is it feasible or realistic to have women in positions of power and who rule by force. Women in post-apocalyptic settings are powerless to defend themselves and are totally reliant on the whims of men, who unfortunately have the tendency to embrace their inner asshole because laws do not really give a fuck about a woman's safety or the sanctity of her vagina when there aren't even courts or civilian lawsuits or whatever. It all boils down to connections and the power of the male who forces himself on the poor woman. So women, realistically speaking, would seek the protection of strong alpha males from predatory males who would want to force themselves on them. They wouldn't become the leaders of the tribe and bash the skulls of people they don't like.

So when people tell me that the HBO tLoU show was well written, I reply with 'fuck off'.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
I don't think that post-apocalyptic settings mean there can not be beautiful or sexy women. I mean, SURE, if you go for immersion, they may lack make-up? They may have dirt on their face. Granted. But they can STILL be sexy and beautiful.

iAVBBsE.jpg

This girl is quite cute, even with the freckles and without the make up. I don't think that a Mad Max or the Last of Us character looking like that would be too much to ask.

While this?!
xmqHNFo.png

This is literally uglification. Especially when Mary Jane is being CANNONICALLY drop-dead gorgeous. So when a character IN-LORE is gorgeous and you purposefully uglify them (and I don't care what setting your story is, if the writer says the character is gorgeous, they're gorgeous), you are in the wrong.

Warning, personal rant follows: Now, my problem in post-apocalyptic settings, ironically, isn't with the faces or the lack of butt/tits thickness, but with the utter lack of suspension of disbelief in terms of how women are portrayed in such a setting. There is no way in FUCK, that in a post-apocalyptic society where we basically have the Law of the Jungle, is it feasible or realistic to have women in positions of power and who rule by force. Women in post-apocalyptic settings are powerless to defend themselves and are totally reliant on the whims of men, who unfortunately have the tendency to embrace their inner asshole because laws do not really give a fuck about a woman's safety or the sanctity of her vagina when there aren't even courts or civilian lawsuits or whatever. It all boils down to connections and the power of the male who forces himself on the poor woman. So women, realistically speaking, would seek the protection of strong alpha males from predatory males who would want to force themselves on them. They wouldn't become the leaders of the tribe and bash the skulls of people they don't like.

So when people tell me that the HBO tLoU show was well written, I reply with 'fuck off'.
Also, didn’t Insomniac use face model Stephanie Tyler Jones to model MJ’s face? If so, it makes no sense that the end result doesn’t look anything like her.

Mister Wolf

I’m replying to myself because I just found something.

So is Stephanie Tyler Jones perhaps NOT the face model for MJ? Because the one in the game we got looks more like this girl:

It could be some of her face too. They obviously took creative liberties.

Top Bottom