• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Somnid

Someone on IGN says it adds the Connection Ambassador system, which allows you to get free games for getting people online. I guess that means it does nothing for the US.

Capndrake

Somnid said:
Someone on IGN says it adds the Connection Ambassador system, which allows you to get free games for getting people online. I guess that means it does nothing for the US.
It is, and it's pretty much impossible to get anything out of it - You can only say that you've helped people who connected their Wii to the internet less than 30 days ago.

Rlan

Muscle March Coming To The West

musclemarchwiiware.jpg

SOURCE: http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/10/muscle_march_coming_to_the_wes.php

birdchili

sfog said:
No, the US now apparently has the "free NES game for browser purchase" up now. I can't verify that as I got it for free originally.
yup. i've got a "free game" button on the front page of my shop channel now.

Yay, free game for me, when I get home!
Double yay for Muscle March!

Also, looking forward to Miyamoto's keynote later on. His keynotes are genuinely interesting (though it won't be translated like his GDC ones unfortunately), but maybe there will be a surprise or two.

upandaway

Didn't it turn out to be really bad or something?

I guess I'll get it if it's cool. The concept is enough to warrant a buy on mediocre gameplay.

upandaway said:

I guess I'll get it if it's cool. The concept is enough to warrant a buy on mediocre gameplay.

yea, it got pretty much killed but who cares?
not me!
it's not that cho aniki is a good shmup but I imported it also from japan.

and now THIS BABY is coming to EU! I only can say: "Thank you namco-bandai"

Somnid said:
It updated something. It was very quick, maybe it just stabilized the 4.2 installer people were freaking out about.
It just updated the Wii Shop (like how the 4.1 update was just the system menu). The dangerous (and fairly pointless) boot2 update is still present.

upandaway said:

Chris Kohler of Wired seemed to hate every minute of it but Sean Aaron of Nintendo Life seemed to enjoy it so it is hard to tell for now.

upandaway said:

The curve is REALLY sharp. At about stage 3 or 4 I was completely unable to proceed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Starwolf_UK said:
Chris Kohler of Wired seemed to hate every minute of it but Sean Aaron of Nintendo Life seemed to enjoy it so it is hard to tell for now.

I'm not sure I'd weight both those opinions equally.

Capndrake

EU update:

VC:
-Shinobi (VCA, 800 points, Sega)

WiiWare:
-Protothea (1000 points, Ubisoft)
-PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit (800 points, Nintendo)

DSiWare:
-A Little Bit of... Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: Arts Edition (800 points, Nintendo)
-Combat of Giants: Dragons - Bronze Edition (800 points, Ubisoft)

Capndrake said:
EU update:

VC:
-Shinobi (VCA, 800 points, Sega)

WiiWare:
-Protothea (1000 points, Ubisoft)
-PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit (800 points, Nintendo)

DSiWare:
-A Little Bit of... Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: Arts Edition (800 points, Nintendo)
-Combat of Giants: Dragons - Bronze Edition (800 points, Ubisoft)

Blimey - they finally released Protothea over here?

Jazzem

Shinobi? Nice :D Though it's a shame the main character doesn't look anywhere near as cool as the one in the Mega Drive games, pfft!

Capndrake

VC for Japan next week:

-Championship Lode Runner (FC, Hudson Soft)
-Sonic & Knuckles (MD, Sega)
-Face Off (VCA, Namco Bandai)
-Rolling Thunder 2 (VCA, Namco Bandai)

Capndrake said:
VC for Japan next week:

-Championship Lode Runner (FC, Hudson Soft)
-Sonic & Knuckles (MD, Sega)
-Face Off (VCA, Namco Bandai)
-Rolling Thunder 2 (VCA, Namco Bandai)

Holy crap, after how freaking long has it been since Sonic 3?!

Now we'll finally see if they intend to support the lock on games!

Edit: LOCK ON IS SUPPORTED :D

http://vc.sega.jp/vc_sandk/

07.gif

Yay! :D

Aru

Nuclear Muffin said:
Holy crap, after how freaking long has it been since Sonic 3?!

Now we'll finally see if they intend to support the lock on games!

Edit: LOCK ON IS SUPPORTED :D

http://vc.sega.jp/vc_sandk/

07.gif

Yay! :D

Well, that's nice but for the price of the 2 games I can get the Ultimate Genesis Collection :/

Somnid

I didn't think you could do lock-on with Sonic 1. What does it do?

[edit] Oh I see. It's the full version of Blue Sphere.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Nuclear Muffin said:
You pay for what you get...
the same argument that comes up EVERYTIME someone mentions a compilation collection.

VC = the games as they were originally meant to be played
compilations = cheap gaming

if the thought of paying $8/game seems crazy, buy the compilation. But don't bitch about buggy sound, slow graphics, or lack of originally released features.

Somnid

Japanese Downloads for the week of 8/25:

Virtual Console

-Championship Lode Runner (FC, Hudson)
-Sonic and Knuckles (MD, Sega)
-Face-off (ARC, Bandai-Namco)
-Rolling Thunder 2 (ARC, Bandai-Namco)

WiiWare:

-Bit.Trip Void (Arc System Works, 500pts)
-Castlevania Adventure: ReBirth (Konami, 1000pts)
-Shadow Walker: Kage no Shounen to Hikari no Yousei (Game Arts, 1000pts)
[Shadow Walker: Boy of Shadow and Fairy of Light]
-@Simple Series Vol. 5: The Judo (D3 Publisher, 700pts)

DSiWare:
DSiWare 200:

-Earth Saver: Inseki bakuha Daisakusen (Tom Create)
[Earth Saver: Meteorite Blast Epic Battle]

DSiWare 500:

-Puzzle Iroiro Gekkan Crossword Puzzle House Vol. 6 (Nintendo)

DSiWare Premium:

-Kuniyaburete Sanga Ari (Square-Enix, 800pts)
[Mountains and Rivers in a Destroyed Country]

WiiWare sure knows how to come back with a bang (seriously 2 weeks of no WiiWare than one week with 4). I guess that means Bit Trip Void should be out in America on Monday and Europe in November.

I also wonder how the VC verison of Sonic & Knuckles is doing the lock-on. I can think of two ways:
1) Sonic and Knuckles comes with all the games locked as the download on but you won't be able to play locked-on versions unless you have the download tickets for the original games (this would explain the quick access speed on the lock-on menu).
2) Sonic and Knuckles will grab the necessary ROMs off of the Wiis NAND when you wish to lock-on. They should technically already be loading Sonic 3s save (being true to the original Sonic 3 was where all the SRAM was). The downside is this won't work if the games are on an SD card.

borghe said:
VC = the games as they were originally meant to be played
compilations = cheap gaming
The problem with originally meant to be played is it isn't always how we want to play games. For instance in Europe if I want to play Sonic the Hedgehog on VC I'm stuck with playing it in slow motion with massive borders because that how it originally played in Europe. The cheap compilations don't have that problem so end up providing a better gameplay experience.

You can substitute that example with say, a cumbersome password system if you like.

sfog

Starwolf_UK said:
I also wonder how the VC verison of Sonic & Knuckles is doing the lock-on. I can think of two ways:
1) Sonic and Knuckles comes with all the games locked as the download on but you won't be able to play locked-on versions unless you have the download tickets for the original games (this would explain the quick access speed on the lock-on menu).
2) Sonic and Knuckles will grab the necessary ROMs off of the Wiis NAND when you wish to lock-on. They should technically already be loading Sonic 3s save (being true to the original Sonic 3 was where all the SRAM was). The downside is this won't work if the games are on an SD card.

I suspect #1 is how it'll work. A quick Google translation of the Sega VC page sort of mentioned already owning the prior Sonic games to get the most out of S&K.

Somnid

Starwolf_UK said:
You can substitute that example with say, a cumbersome password system if you like.

Well this isn't an issue because VC supports minor and universally useful functions like suspend states but it doesn't try to alter the game in any way like collections often do which is what he was getting at.

Sonic & Knuckles is coming with lock on functionality intact?

Thats all I needed to hear, Sonic 3 + S&K was THE reason I owned a genesis. It's too bad they took their sweet time and now my Sonic Mega Collection is downright worthless.

NoA, Please Please don't decide to make S&K another one of those titles you get pissy over.

jgkspsx

I wasn't late to the party, but I didn't speak up at the time. Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon is a really awesome pinball game, full stop. As a portable pinball game, and a download at that, it's essential for any DSi owner who loves shiny metal balls and flippers.

I've really been impressed by the quality and challenge of the quests, and the Medusa and video mode special challenges are great fun. Multiball is well-executed, and you've got to love the Zeus/Hera head. I'd like to play this as a physical table.

It sounds like Pinball Pulse is going to be a series, and I'm really looking forward to the next table.

EDIT: Also, Hard Hat Domo is garbage, one of the poorest puzzle games I've played in ages. I want my Thomas Jefferson back.

batbeg

Guys, I... I need help. I've never bought a WiiWare game before now; various factors kept me from it (once: money; later, it was fear of updating to keep my homebrew). So I'm sitting here with 5300 Wii points, and I'm not sure what VC and WiiWare titles to go for. I know some obvious VC titles to go for, and I'm aware of the many WiiWare ones (World of Goo, FFCC MLaaK/MLaaD, NyxQuest, etc) but... some suggestions would be appreciated all the same, as it's kind of overwhelming.

Also, one question: I've heard the new Bubble Bobble game kind of sucked. Does it include a classic mode though? Would it be more worth buying the WiiWare one or the NES one, basically.

batbeg said:
Also, one question: I've heard the new Bubble Bobble game kind of sucked. Does it include a classic mode though? Would it be more worth buying the WiiWare one or the NES one, basically.
You're probably better off buying the NES version tbh, if only because you have to play the Wiiware version all the way through in one sitting.

batbeg

nincompoop said:
You're probably better off buying the NES version tbh, if only because you have to play the Wiiware version all the way through in one sitting.

Well... I've always played through it in one sitting anyway, so that's not much of a problem to me, but is there no password system then?

Hiltz

Bubble Bobble Plus! is easily a better value since it offers more content which includes all 100 levels of the orignial NES game. In addition, it also offers arrange mode with 4 player support, harder versions of both main modes as well as online leader boards. It's only $1 more than the VC NES version of Bubble Bobble so you can't go wrong downloading it.

Top Bottom