• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

evilromero said:
At least we know Excite Bike and Bomberman DSi hit next Monday.

And I support the need for Pilotwings 64. If Nintendo put that on the service I'd shut up about never getting Rondo of Blood.
Bomberman DSi?! Neat!
Is it online? If not, it's okay, because the Wii one is, and I have fun with that one already.

BuzzJive

toythatkills said:
You've every right to defend your game, and to say it's great, but your bias needed to be made clear instantly, not in another post later that people could easily have missed.

MEH. I don't feel guilty speaking out against a baseless attack with biased praise. Can you imagine if everybody on GAF had to state their bias before every post? Wow.

Walk-Out Basements said:
hey congrats on your 2nd wiiware game. what was your 1st game on ww

i know a lot of the feedback sounds harsh if the game isnt cave story or earthbound or castlevania. but thats the competition any game released on vc,ww or dsiware will face. thats the reality and i hope devs will step up their game, like 2dboy and.... the other guy in 2dboy.

My first was Target Toss Pro: Bags. I did also come to the defense of that game on here and pimp it a few times. I only wish we had some online leaderboards in that one as well.

I'm looking forward to Castlevania, Excitebike and Cave Story myself. Those are all going to be great. And yes - 2dboy is in a league of their own as well.

Petrae said:
I bought Carnival King because I saw Incredible Technologies attached to it, and it was the fun arcade experience that I thought it would be. It's not necessarily deep, but it's fun to play in short sessions and the addition of WFC leaderboards is an improvement over the local-only Target Toss Pro Bags, which was the last IT offering for WiiWare. (And I think N-Space worked on that port, too.)

I'm a sucker for arcade game ports, even if arcade games are few and far between these days.

*Internet High Five*. It's fun watching the leaderboards fill up. We really wanted to have them in Bags as well, but just didn't get a chance to do it. Thanks for the support :)

tetrisgrammaton said:
aka if we pay for it and don't like it. It's always the game maker's burden of proof, not the players.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. I'm pimping a $7 game that I'm hoping people will try before bashing.

iamaustrian said:
or maybe some of the people here are just too lazy to do a little research on the internet before they claim game X is shit. There is plenty of information for the games(even reviews) available.

While I agree that with a willingness to do some research and take a little gamble every now and then there's no reason why a savvy consumer shouldn't get the best out of the system, I don't think there can be any argument that some kind of demo functionality would do wonders for the service. Even though I've read up on each new release, there are still a number of VC and WiiWare titles I haven't taken a chance on because they're fairly niche, or divisive, and I'm not prepared to spend my points when I don't have the option to return a game I discover I don't like.

If there was a demo option (say a time-limited demo) or if some devs adopted the old shareware model (base package for, say, 200 points with the rest available in DLC "episodes") I'd be more inclined to take a chance on some titles. I think it's probably a no-go this gen, but I'd hope Nintendo are moving in this direction for next time around (DS demos indicate a willingness to embrace it in some form, and the apparently strong impact of demos on sales on competitors' systems may have some sway).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
iamaustrian said:
or maybe some of the people here are just too lazy to do a little research on the internet before they claim game X is shit. There is plenty of information for the games(even reviews) available.

This isn't true either.

Randomly picking a handful of not high profile WiiWare games:
Target Toss Pro: Bags - 1 review
Bit Boy!! - 4 reviews
Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam - 2 reviews
Tiki Towers - 2 reviews
Spaceball: Revolution - 8 reviews

WiiWare games do not have demos.

Randomly picking a handful of not high profile XBLA games:
Geon - 13 reviews
Roogoo - 20+ reviews
Axel and Pixel - 20+ reviews
Boogie Bunnies - 20+ reviews
Double D Dodgeball - 20+ reviews

All XBLA games have demos.

Can we agree that it's much harder to get to know (non high profile) WiiWare games, much harder to get to know what other people think about (non high profile) WiiWare games, and that this contributes to people having a worse attitude towards them?

Edit: I also think that saying that people ought to do research is a little silly. There are more games across all consoles than there is time to play them. Most people who are big enough into gaming to take a chance on niche titles already have backlogs. If one service is less accessible than others, that burden is on that service to resolve that. I'll always have games to play, the question is whether I'll have WiiWare games to play.

Somnid

Stumpokapow said:
This isn't true either.

Randomly picking a handful of not high profile WiiWare games:
Target Toss Pro: Bags - 1 review
Bit Boy!! - 4 reviews
Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam - 2 reviews
Tiki Towers - 2 reviews
Spaceball: Revolution - 8 reviews

WiiWare games do not have demos.

Randomly picking a handful of not high profile XBLA games:
Geon - 13 reviews
Roogoo - 20+ reviews
Axel and Pixel - 20+ reviews
Boogie Bunnies - 20+ reviews
Double D Dodgeball - 20+ reviews

All XBLA games have demos.

Can we agree that it's much harder to get to know (non high profile) WiiWare games, much harder to get to know what other people think about (non high profile) WiiWare games, and that this contributes to people having a worse attitude towards them?

Edit: I also think that saying that people ought to do research is a little silly. There are more games across all consoles than there is time to play them. Most people who are big enough into gaming to take a chance on niche titles already have backlogs. If one service is less accessible than others, that burden is on that service to resolve that. I'll always have games to play, the question is whether I'll have WiiWare games to play.

I think this points out a media bias rather than having anything to do with demos. Then again Microsoft culls XBLA games to make sure they stand out, I'm not sure I really want that either.

Demos would be nice though as would sales.

Starwolf_UK said:
*-Also it seems near the bottom of Nintendo's list. Similar to certain cartridge mapper configurations for the FC/NES side of things. For instance the reason why Famicom Wars and the two Fire Emblem games recently came out is they all use the MMC4 mapper. Come to think of it mappers might be the reason why there is no Contra 1 on the VC (the Japanese version used the VRC2 mapper which is a third party mapper; outside of Japan developers were supposed to use first party one only).

More a factor of them not bothering to tackle it yet. Salamander/Life Force (VRC3), Gradius 2 (VRC4) and even CV3/Akumajou Densetsu (VRC6) have all come out on the service.

zigg

Somnid said:
I think this points out a media bias rather than having anything to do with demos. Then again Microsoft culls XBLA games to make sure they stand out, I'm not sure I really want that either.

Actually, I'd say it has more to do with PartnerNet than anything else.

Somnid

zigg said:
Actually, I'd say it has more to do with PartnerNet than anything else.

Even after release reviewers forget to review them. It seems to be a shitty policy to refuse to rate games if they have released because where I put my money still depends on those.

zigg

Somnid said:
Even after release reviewers forget to review them. It seems to be a shitty policy to refuse to rate games if they have released because where I put my money still depends on those.

Eh. There's a huge quantity of games out there, and the ability to just go check out what's coming without any fuss can give one more of a shot at being remembered in the first place. I could easily see it being a cycle of positive reinforcement.

Whereas if we want to handle *Ware right now, it's load your own points (incidentally, that takes way too long on DSi) and get what sounds promising.

Hyunkel6 said:
A bit off-topic, but I can't decide which NES game I should download with the free 500 NES pts that Nintendo gave out to those who bought the Internet Channel. Any recommendations? The 500 points expire on December 31st. Any good games hitting VC until then?

Hard to make a recommendation when you haven't said what kinda games you like or how experienced you are in NES games. Super Dodgeball was my favorite sports game; Star Tropics totally rocks as a Zelda-style game if you want a challenge; if you want an awesome (yet incredibly hard) action-puzzle game, Solomon's Key fits the bill. The Adventures of Lolo series are a different, slower-paced type of puzzle game, can be really fun. River City Ransom is a weird/fun mix of Double-Dragon-style beat-em-up and RPG, with stats and special moves you can earn and upgrade by buying stuff in shops.

Megaman 2 is the perfect introduction to the series (better than Megaman 1), Castlevania 3 is one of the best examples of the classic gameplay before they added Metroid-exploration elements. Gradius is a good classic side-scrolling shooter, Contra for your side-scrolling/running and jumping shoot-em-up (don't forget your up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-start - it's a requirement!)

Unless you have a lot of patience, I'd stay away from classics like Metroid, Kid Icarus, Ninja Gaiden - awesome games, but nowadays the difficulty is very hardcore (especially Kid Icarus). The original Final Fantasy, while not really hard, is the definition of oldschool RPG, with lots and lots of random fights, required grinding to level up, mininum storyline.

Top Bottom