• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo - as a consumable piece of modern media - is a freaking abortion

Another shit thing I've noticed with GT6 is it seems to reset the HDMI input of my TV, can't describe it better than that. Similar to how if your TV is set to auto aspect it might go blank for a second and then show the picture if the programme changes from 16:9 to 4:3. I'll be driving along and the screen will go blank and then come back on with the aspect ratio in the top corner. None of my other PS3 games or other consoles do this, only GT6.

Solal

GT5 was not bad(mediocre is what I'd use), it simply wasn't the same quality of its predecessors or its competitors, which is a far cry from the legacy GT had/has. GT5 sold well because its mechanically as solid as ever. Outside of the tire model, its the best (and only option) of getting sim racing on PS consoles. It's the same reason why Destiny sold well despite its flaws, heavily acclaimed developer with great history and marketing muscle behind them coupled with a mechanically sound enough game that got people coming back to play again and again.

PD needs to know what they can or cannot do. It's nice to be ambitious, but its not good to be the guy who overpromises and underdelivers at every outing. Eventually, it just because tiresome. And like I said, just like in fighting games where (these characters are just example) Kazuya, or Quan Chi or Balrog isn't in the sequel, people will use another character. It's nice that people use standard cars online....I mean, why not? They are there. But the fact that PD thinks its ok to upres ps2 cars and pass it off as ok is absolutely ridiculous. If you don't have the resources to give everything your 100% quality seal of approval, cut it.

The GTPlanet forum has been polled PLENTY of times...trust me, I am a member over there. Take one stroll and spend an hour on the GT6 forums and a couple of the topics to get the overall sentiment of guys who spend 1000s of dollars building rigs to play their most beloved franchise.

At the end of the day, all we can do is wait and see. GT7 will (hopefully) be out 2016 fall, by then the console sim racing landscape will be insane. Introduction of Project Cars, Forza Motorsport 6 and rumors of the Assetto Corsa guys with console development kits means that GT won't get ANOTHER pass with replacing a Corvette Stingray's LT1 motor with a Dyson DC65.

Just a couple of topics that may interest you...of course several more at their actual site.
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/quality-over-quantity-gt7.315577/
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threa...r-kazs-job-what-would-you-do-with-gt7.314286/
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threa...ndard-cars-in-a-ps4-gran-turismo-game.307000/

100% approved.

Outsourcing would be the most logical thing to do.
The question is though, would PD be willing to do that?

I, personally, hope not, not to a third party. What do you choose to oursource? How can you ensure you get the same level of quality from an outsourced team?

I think they should definitely look into borrowing from Evo with the car models though. I think that will give them a good roster to start with, especially combined with the premiums from GT6.

saladine1

I, personally, hope not, not to a third party. What do you choose to oursource? How can you ensure you get the same level of quality from an outsourced team?

I think they should definitely look into borrowing from Evo with the car models though. I think that will give them a good roster to start with, especially combined with the premiums from GT6.

Well, audio for one lol.

Listen Sony, you've plenty of cash so find a way to coax Anthony Moteil,Greg Hill and Nick Wiswell to the PD studios and that pesky audio problem will be fixed faster than you can say Dyson DC59.

But yeah, I understand that PD takes great pride in their car models and wouldn't feel comfortable handing out those responsibilities to someone else, but man, something's got to give..

ShamePain

Banned

So why is it fine for Evo to outsource, but not fine for PD?

IKizzLE

Evo outsourced and those car models are phenomenal. Engine sounds are best in the genre. Yea, Polyphony could probably do even better in house but when they are focused on keeping shit like this alive...

S Honda NSX '93
S Honda NSX '95
S Honda NSX '97
S Honda NSX '99
S Honda NSX '01
S Honda NSX Type R '92
P/S Honda NSX Type R '02
S Honda NSX Type S '97
S Honda NSX Type S '99
S Honda NSX Type S '01
S Honda NSX Type S Zero '97
S Honda NSX Type S Zero '99
S Honda NSX-R Concept '01
S Honda NSX-R Prototype LM Race Car
S Honda NSX-R Prototype LM Road Car
S Honda S2000 '99
S Honda S2000 '01
S Honda S2000 '03
P Honda S2000 '06
S Honda S2000 (EU) '99
S Honda S2000 (EU) '01
S Honda S2000 (EU) '03
S Honda S2000 (US) '99
S Honda S2000 (US) '01
S Honda S2000 (US) '04
S Honda S2000 LM Race Car
S Honda S2000 Type V '00
S Honda S2000 Type V '01
S Honda S2000 Type V '03
S Honda S2000 Type V (EU) '00
S Honda S2000 Type V (EU) '01
S Honda S2000 Type V (US) '00
S Honda S2000 Type V (US) '01
S Honda TAKATA DOME NSX (JGTC) '03
P Honda TAKATA DOME NSX (SUPER GT) '06
S Mazda MX-5 1.8 RS (NB, J) '98
S Mazda MX-5 1600 NR-A (NB, J) '04
S Mazda MX-5 1800 RS (NB, J) '00
S Mazda MX-5 1800 RS (NB, J) '04
S Mazda MX-5 J-Limited (NA, J) '91
S Mazda MX-5 J-Limited II (NA, J) '93
S Mazda MX-5 Miata (NA) '89
S Mazda MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS (NB, J) '98
S Mazda MX-5 Miata 1600 NR-A (NB, J) '04
S Mazda MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '00
S Mazda MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '04
S Mazda MX-5 Miata J-Limited (NA, J) '91
S Mazda MX-5 Miata J-Limited II (NA, J) '93
S Mazda MX-5 Miata SR-Limited (NA, J) '97
S Mazda MX-5 Miata S-Special Type I (NA, J) '95
S Mazda MX-5 Miata VR-Limited (NA, J) '95
S Mazda MX-5 Miata V-Special Type II (NA, J) '93
S Mazda MX-5 SR-Limited (NA, J) '97
S Mazda MX-5 S-Special Type I (NA, J) '95
S Mazda MX-5 VR-Limited (NA, J) '95
S Mazda MX-5 V-Special Type II (NA, J) '93
(Nissan is 100X worse than this sadly)

Then they will need all the help they can get making premium cars.

IKizzLE

PD are perfectionists when its comes to car modelling and are the best in the industry. As crazy as it sounds, expansion would be a better idea than outsourcing (seriously why does Sony not invest more into its best selling franchise).

Then they need to take a hit in car count.
GT3 had 150 cars.
GT2 had 650 cars.

GT3 ended up being the best selling and best reviewed game in franchise history by a country mile. It also came out early in the PS2s life when the install base was miniscule. Sold 5 million more than GT4 when the ps2s install base was more than 5x larger.

Quality>Quantity

Top Bottom