• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
That is the dumbest review I've ever had the displeasure to read. I never bitch about reviews, and the game could have got a fucking 2.0 for all I care, but the first part is dedicated to quoting other reviews and saying "well they got my hopes up, and it wasn't that good!"

And then he makes a further mistake of saying that getting "perfect scores" means you should expect a perfect game.

When expecting a perfect game, given the amount of tens bestowed upon Uncharted 2, these are the kinds of things you can't help but see. It no longer becomes a pursuit of whether the game is worth it or not. If any game in 2009 deserves a purchase, it is undoubtedly Uncharted 2. But taking a very close look, it isn't perfect.

Never in the history of game reviews does a 10/10 or a 5/5 mean the game is absolutely flawless. It simply means it is the best the current crop of games has to offer. It never means "LOL jesus designed this game and it's from God therefore it is crystalline in its glorious perfection!". Never. And people who perceive it that way are fucking idiots. In other words, the person who wrote this review is an idiot. I hope he posts here so I can call him an idiot.

I had to take this time to rant because this is like the trillionth time I've seen some asshat say that a "perfect" score means a perfect game.

Literally half his review is dedicated to calling out other reviews for heaping so much praise on the title, and he has a mere few paragraphs which contain his criticisms. Some of which are wasted on stuff like this:

But as Nathan walks on the snow, shouldn't his feet make imprints into the ground? Instead, it just looks like the snow billows underfoot, disappearing in the classic video game manner all footprints usually disappear.

Fire this reviewer, gamedaily. If he's a freelancer, say he's so bad you don't even want his shit for free.

polyh3dron said:
2i1mmx3.jpg

Oh my gawd... I need them, like a junkie needs meth.

beast786

Amir0x said:
Literally half his review is dedicated to calling out other reviews for heaping so much praise on the title, and he has a mere few paragraphs which contain his criticisms. Some of which are wasted on stuff like this:

Fire this reviewer, gamedaily. If he's a freelancer, say he's so bad you don't even want his shit for free.

:lol

Zeliard

Amir0x said:
That is the dumbest review I've ever had the displeasure to read. I never bitch about reviews, and the game could have got a fucking 2.0 for all I care, but the first part is dedicated to quoting other reviews and saying "well they got my hopes up, and it wasn't that good!"

My god. :lol

He should've just plagiarized.

I usually let reviewers have their opinions and I rarely ever complain about them but mentioning other people's reviews in a review is just plain stupid.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
But as Nathan walks on the snow, shouldn't his feet make imprints into the ground? Instead, it just looks like the snow billows underfoot, disappearing in the classic video game manner all footprints usually disappear.
Holy shit if it's come that the game is going to be put under this kind of scrutiny. Clearly it's not enough that it has the best looking snow put into a game, and that the characters' feet go into the snow - when footprints disappear after a while!

What's next, "When I zoom the camera close to the character's chest, why can't I hear his hear beat? Huh? It's silent like in other games"

Jeez, it really reads like someone's disappointed that the game is as good as it is.

Zeliard

Gamedailol said:
...as well as the fact that no, the visuals aren't 100% perfect. They're fantastic, just not perfect. Trying to turn over a new leaf by being a bit more critical when doling out tens.

:lol :lol :lol

Holy fucking shit, what a paragraph.

beast786

alr1ghtstart said:

Quote: GameDaily
as well as the fact that no, the visuals aren't 100% perfect. They're fantastic, just not perfect. Trying to turn over a new leaf by being a bit more critical when doling out tens. With that said, Uncharted 2 still gets our recommendation as the only system-seller on PS3, and something everyone needs to pick up.

protonion

Thrakier said:
Manual language?

English only.

5 chapters completed!Awesome so far.The junlge looks so much better than U1 it's not even funny.ND owned themselves.

I like that in chapter select it tells you how many treasures are in each one and how many you've found.

Also it's definately harder.Playing on normal and I have died 5-6 times already.Though a reason for that may be that it is not as straight forward as the first.It feels more open and makes the player experiment a lot.

JSnake

Geez, I'm writing my review now and after reading that GameDaily review, I feel like I need to write two times better than I ever have just to even out the balance of good and shit in the world.

J-Rzez

One of the purest attempts at doing/saying whatever to not give a game a 10 I have read in a long time. Faildaily indeed as someone once said.

Hopefully this can be referenced when they hand out a better score elsewhere. "Oops, different reviewers, different standards" will be the return volley, just calling it in advance.

noah111

Still Alive
TacticalFox88 said:
They gave COD3 a 10? Holy shit. :lol :lol :lol

Faildaily confirmed.
IIRC they also called LBP a glorified powerpoint program or something.. never liked them, most (if not all) of their reviews/articles are written by people I just don't feel have a clue what they're talking about. :\

arne

Max said:
I thought the mouth syncing was better than that :/

Cinema doesn't record your audio, so some of this is likely the result of having to dub the voice over again -- or just not taking the time to match anything they may have recorded real time up exact. it should feel pretty close from the last time I played around with it.

Dever

Banned
djblackice said:

Arrgh. If there's one thing that annoys me in reviews... Although it doesn't surprise me here, gamedaily is literally one of the worst sites out there.

Well, anyways. A finnish game mag 'Pelaaja' gave UC2 a 9/10. I only got a glimpse of the text, it seems they at least criticized the boss fights.

Spruchy

JSnake said:
Geez, I'm writing my review now and after reading that GameDaily review, I feel like I need to write two times better than I ever have just to even out the balance of good and shit in the world.
And here I was thinking you wrote it.

highluxury said:
Well their LBP comparison to Powerpoint is still an all-time classic.
:lol :lol
I really don't think theres a site/magazine/anything that reviews games whose opinion I give less of a shit about after this. Yes I know UC2 isn't perfect but COME ON :lol

Zzoram

protonion said:
English only.

5 chapters completed!Awesome so far.The junlge looks so much better than U1 it's not even funny.ND owned themselves.

I like that in chapter select it tells you how many treasures are in each one and how many you've found.

Also it's definately harder.Playing on normal and I have died 5-6 times already.Though a reason for that may be that it is not as straight forward as the first.It feels more open and makes the player experiment a lot.

UGH I was afraid of that. Are the hard parts because of encounters where you fight waves of enemies without a checkpoint, like the crappy parts of the first game?

Zzoram

Cerberus said:

What a shitty review. Smh at the "footprints in the snow" line. That is fucking terrible criticism.

Yeah that's a dumb thing to complain about. However, I must admit I'm disappointed to hear that Nathan doesn't leave footprints in the snow.

Wow so Gamedaily decided to apply a tougher new standard of integrity on this one game that just so happens to be a PS3 exclusive first party title. I'll be paying attention to find out if this continues.
ProTip: It won't.

They gave Arkham Asylum a 9 too.

I can't wait for Gamespot's 7.5

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
protonion said:
Have you been able to complete the first game on hard or crushing?

Zzoram said:
Yeah that's a dumb thing to complain about. However, I must admit I'm disappointed to hear that Nathan doesn't leave footprints in the snow.

This seems strange to me as you seem to leave footprints on the Ice Caves mp map.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
So basically Gamedaily thought the metacritic score and other scores were too high so they decide to be very strict with 10 scores, (probably with just Uncharted 2) and only give a 9 because the game isn't perfect.

This is beyond, "LOL game journalism"

protonion

Zzoram said:
UGH I was afraid of that. Are the hard parts because of encounters where you fight waves of enemies without a checkpoint, like the crappy parts of the first game?

No.Actually in the two big encounters I had so far, there were checkpoints between certain waves.

Have you been able to complete the first game on hard or crushing?

Didn't try.However I'm sure I didn't die so many times (maybe at all) that early.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zzoram said:
I'm pretty sure he does, it's just that they disappear after a while. Considering that there's even wind blowing through the snow, how much suspension of disbelief you'd really need to not mind something like that.

Zzoram said:

He's (the gamedaily reviewer) complaining about them disappearing in the snow. Referencing it as 'last-gen' tech.

Zzoram

Lord Error said:
I'm pretty sure he does, it's just that they disappear after a while. Considering that there's even wind blowing through the snow, how much suspension of disbelief you'd really need to not mind something like that.

Wow, why did he even bother to complain about this then? If he makes footprints that fade after a while, that's good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom