• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Jobs has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocebo

Mael said:
See what you did there?
You reduced the scope, it's no longer a life changing innovation that will lead the world out of the dark age. Now it's a new product that affect a certain subset of the population for the better.
Way to make a strawman. It's you who said tablets and smartphones only have influenced gadget hoarders. Which is clearly not true.
Who's reducing the scope?
1) I never said it influenced everyone from babies to corpses and from burger flippers to airline pilots.
Even though it does influence airlines and their pilots.
2) I just gave a few examples doesn't mean I've suddenly limited a scope that was never even really set.

rezuth said:
And what is that? Farming peoples life and data so they can sell it?

Oh please, how they make their money and what they contribute are different things.

Google Maps alone earns them a ton of credi tin my book.

IceCold said:
Srsly. Some people are making it seems like Job is the 2nd coming of Christ. He did great things but other people also have.
Ah, yes, the old "Well, somebody else did stuff too!" argument. How profound.

What do you people get out of coming into a thread like this, just to post dumb shit like that? What is it? I'm curious. It's like you have an issue with people caring about a specific matter or person more than you do.

We could sit here and compare notes on the things that Steve Jobs helped bring about but you don't care about that. I don't think any one posting the contrarian bullshit that's on here does. So why post? Seriously.

Jenga

Banned
RMS on the passing of jobs

Steve Jobs, the pioneer of the computer as a jail made cool, designed to sever fools from their freedom, has died.

As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor Daley, "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone." Nobody deserves to have to die - not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence on people's computing.

Unfortunately, that influence continues despite his absence. We can only hope his successors, as they attempt to carry on his legacy, will be less effective.

Mael

Nocebo said:
Way to make a strawman. It's you who said tablets and smartphones only have influenced gadget hoarders. Which is clearly not true.
Who's reducing the scope?
1) I never said it influenced everyone from babies to corpses and from burger flippers to airline pilots.
Even though it does influence airlines and their pilots.
2) I just gave a few examples doesn't mean I've suddenly limited a scope that was never even really set.
Oh come on now, you certainly are aware that when I meant gadget hoarders I didn't actually mean 100% them.
The argument was : it changed the world.
To which I replied : well not really no.
I mean it's not the invention of the network technology either.

and RMS as ever being a bit of a dick in passing his message...
Some things never change.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I didn't know Jobs had Aids...

He suffered from Kaposi’s sarcoma, which are noted to emulate pancreatic cancer in HIV-positive patients...

RMS waving the flag for the other basement dwellers.

F#A#Oo said:
I didn't know Jobs had Aids...

He suffered from Kaposi’s sarcoma, which are noted to emulate pancreatic cancer in HIV-positive patients...
Every time I unsub from this thread something amazing happens.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
F#A#Oo said:
oh that. if true, wouldn't that have exploded all over the internet three years ago? think about that for two seconds.

also

Due to the contradictory dates, possible evidence of forgery, strong motivations for fabrication, and few motivations for a legitimate revelation, the images should not be taken at face value.

C'mon now.

Mael

macuser1of5 said:
oh that. if true, wouldn't that have exploded all over the internet three years ago? think about that for two seconds.

also

Due to the contradictory dates, possible evidence of forgery, strong motivations for fabrication, and few motivations for a legitimate revelation, the images should not be taken at face value.

C'mon now.
Wait what?
Why?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
RubxQub said:
I don't know why he would hide it if that is in fact what he had.
It's still the general sentiment that getting HIV is embarrassing and makes people want to avoid you. I have a friend who's only told three people including me

Polari

Hahaha RMS. Despite his usual complete lack of decorum he has a valid point and as the father of free software he's made a greater contribution to humanity than Jobs ever did, but since he's such a misanthrope he'll never get anywhere near the recognition.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Evlar

Banned
Mael said:
Wait what?
Why?
They say that Apple's stock would move in response to good or bad news about Jobs' health (which was quite true); therefore, someone who wanted Apple stock to drop had good incentive to fabricate bad news about Jobs' health.

Jenga

Banned
Polari said:
Hahaha RMS. Despite his usual complete lack of decorum he has a valid point and as the father of free software he's made a greater contribution to humanity than Jobs ever did, but since he's such a misanthrope he'll never get anywhere near the recognition.
when rms dies he'll be lucky to get a 3 page thread on gaf

Mael

Teetris said:
It's still the general sentiment that getting HIV is embarrassing and makes people want to avoid you. I have a friend who's only told three people including me

Someday I'll hope this kind of sentiment will be remembered as distant memories like the religious wars...

Polari said:
I think people pointed it out to him at times so I think that right now he just doesn't give a fuck.

Jenga

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
Ask wikileaks, they wrote it.
b-b-but wikileaks never lies

why would wikileaks lie

also i can't help but find it kinda odd that wozniak only found out about job's death when a reporter called him

F#A#Oo

Banned
macuser1of5 said:

also

C'mon now.

I dunno man...it sort of all fits together...

Also some people still believe HIV/AIDS is related to being gay... :/

Mael

macuser1of5 said:
Ask wikileaks, they wrote it.

even then that's kinda weird...

Evlar said:
They say that Apple's stock would move in response to good or bad news about Jobs' health (which was quite true); therefore, someone who wanted Apple stock to drop had good incentive to fabricate bad news about Jobs' health.

Ok I get it now fucking distastefull though

F#A#Oo said:
I dunno man...it sort of all fits together...

Also some people still believe HIV/AIDS is related to being gay... :/
And here we have another point that I found incredibly stupid :
why are there still people that think that gay = bad?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Polari said:
This has long been proven fake. It's pretty disrespectful to his family spreading these kind of rumours anyway.

Who has proved it false?

macuser1of5 said:
dude it's fake.

Source?

I'm having a hard time believing WikiLeaks is interested in fabricating lies about anyone let alone Steve Jobs...what purpose does it serve? WikiLeaks has more imporatant things to cover than the medical diagnosis of the rich and famous.

Nocebo

Mael said:
Oh come on now, you certainly are aware that when I meant gadget hoarders I didn't actually mean 100% them.
The argument was : it changed the world.
To which I replied : well not really no.
I mean it's not the invention of the network technology either.
I expect tablet computers and smart phones to get more and more legitimate use in the public and business sphere.
Sure it's not the invention of network technology. But I don't see how down scaling the size of a computing device while still maintaining a high level of functionality doesn't change the way we do or will do things.
It's like saying laptops or worse, desktop computers, didn't change the world.

sruckus

Polari said:

hahahaha uh no. If anything we're becoming MORE proprietary today. Some "contribution".

Mael

Nocebo said:
I expect tablet computers and smart phones to get more and more legitimate use in the public and business sphere.
Sure it's not the invention of network technology. But I don't see how down scaling the size of a computing device while still maintaining a high level of functionality doesn't change the way we do or will do things.
It's like saying laptops or worse, desktop computers, didn't change the world.
Don't put words in my mouth, I'm not saying that it's not the future, I'm saying it's not the present.
I fully well know that the tech world moves fast and how laptops were not even worth of the time invested because of multiple issues that were resolved with time.
I'm also well aware that netbooks have a hardtime competing with tablets because they basically have their role fullfilled with a better form factor.
considering that netbooks were put there because there was a demand for low end laptops, it's safe to say that this part of the market is fucked because of tablets.
Now in the work environment it's something else but still I'm not saying that Earth would be a better place without the waste of useful resources on this either.

xcrunner529 said:
hahahaha uh no. If anything we're becoming MORE proprietary today. Some "contribution".

that's like the footnote of everything the guy did you know, kinda like reducting Jobs contribution to iPhone.

artist

Banned
:*(

Isaacson said:
In the early summer of 2004, I got a phone call from him. He had been scattershot friendly to me over the years, with occasional bursts of intensity, especially when he was launching a new product that he wanted on the cover of Time or featured on CNN, places where I'd worked. But now that I was no longer at either of those places, I hadn't heard from him much. We talked a bit about the Aspen Institute, which I had recently joined, and I invited him to speak at our summer campus in Colorado. He'd be happy to come, he said, but not to be onstage. He wanted, instead, to take a walk so we could talk.

That seemed a bit odd. I didn't yet know that taking a long walk was his preferred way to have a serious conversation. It turned out that he wanted me to write a biography of him. I had recently published one on Benjamin Franklin and was writing one about Albert Einstein, and my initial reaction was to wonder, half jokingly, whether he saw himself as the natural successor in that sequence. Because I assumed that he was still in the middle of an oscillating career that had many more ups and downs left, I demurred. Not now, I said. Maybe in a decade or two, when you retire.

But I later realized that he had called me just before he was going to be operated on for cancer for the first time. As I watched him battle that disease, with an awesome intensity combined with an astonishing emotional romanticism, I came to find him deeply compelling, and I realized how much his personality was ingrained in the products he created. His passions, demons, desires, artistry, devilry and obsession for control were integrally connected to his approach to business, so I decided to try to write his tale as a case study in creativity

Isaacson said:
A few weeks ago, I visited Jobs for the last time in his Palo Alto, Calif., home. He had moved to a downstairs bedroom because he was too weak to go up and down stairs. He was curled up in some pain, but his mind was still sharp and his humor vibrant. We talked about his childhood, and he gave me some pictures of his father and family to use in my biography. As a writer, I was used to being detached, but I was hit by a wave of sadness as I tried to say goodbye. In order to mask my emotion, I asked the one question that was still puzzling me: Why had he been so eager, during close to 50 interviews and conversations over the course of two years, to open up so much for a book when he was usually so private? “I wanted my kids to know me,” he said. “I wasn’t always there for them, and I wanted them to know why and to understand what I did.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/06/isaacson-shares-a-touching-preview-of-the-steve-jobs-biography/

Polari

xcrunner529 said:

I don't what you're talking about free software is everywhere these days. Android phones aid agricultural development in East Africa. The OLPC project has brought computing technology into the lives of millions of children who previously wouldn't have had access. Even OS X and iOS use free software, not to mention the vast majority of computers in use today. All of this has been made possible by the movement RMS founded.

SeanR1221 said:
The people getting annoyed really shows how obnoxious anti-Apple people are.

I mean, look at this one Facebook status...

"Do you people think Steve Jobs single-handedly crafted every Apple product or something? First off, the only quality Apple product is the iPod, and all he did was be the president when it came out. Everything else is overpriced and unnecessary."

Anti-Apple fans are ten times worse than Apple Zealots.

Lol, this is just getting ridiculous.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Osiris said:
Fake, the test date shows 2004, yet SXCheck wasn't around then, they didn't start until 2006.
See: http://gawker.com/5847341/wikileaks-honors-steve-jobs-with-fake-hiv-report.

Distasteful trolling of the highest order, IMO

Just read it all and went through all the links and what have you and I still don't see how it has been falsified...infact they put more effort to discredit Assange than actually explain away the pictures...

F#A#Oo said:
Just read it all and went through all the links and what have you and I still don't see how it has been falsified...infact they put more effort to discredit Assange than actually explain away the pictures...
ok then

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Like I said, you're just trolling, pretty distasteful.

Maybe you weren't around years ago when these images first appeared, but here's the facts as to why the images are fake:

SxCheck was an offshoot of AIMCheck, a private testing service for the Adult Entertainment industry, SxCheck allowed private individuals to go to a local private clinic to have blood tests done, results were sent to SxCheck who would then make negative results available to the individual being tested. AIMCheck went further and also provided the results to producers. (To ensure a safe industry). SxCheck didn't start until 2006, any SxCheck test results with a test date of 2004 are fake, period. SxCheck results were headed by the SxCheck logo, AIMCheck results were not.

Secondly, it was confirmed at the original time of this "leak' that the SSN number was NOT that of Steve Jobs of Apple.

So, keep trolling if you must, hopefully it'll lead to your departure from NeoGAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom