• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pearl Jam's new album revives the spirit of Grunge.

farmerboy

Have listened to it 3 times. Much like Gigaton, wasn't sure where they were going with it, but the song is good. That simple riff goes all the way through and has that push pull feel.

If the rest of the album follows, I think it'll be good.

So easy to judge a band like Pearl Jam on their past. But let this stand on its own and you realise its pretty good.

PS - does any else dig that electronica sound in the background? Not sure if its guitar or keyboard but I like it

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I dont like it and it sounds exactly how I expected it. Like they focused too much on what they thought the fans would like and not what they actually thought was good for an album.

Gigaton and Lightning Bolt-ish vibes for sure.

Do not want.

Kacho

Sounds fine I guess. Reminds me of modern Blink 182. It's similar enough to their past stuff, it's just missing that youthful edge.

Cool solo. I won't change the station like I do when zoomer rock comes on.

bender

What time is it?
I really have no interest in seeing these dinosaurs trying to keep doing this. It's very rare that an old artist can capture even a flicker of what they did when they were young. The Bob Dylan album from the late 1990s is one rare exception, although even that was 25 years ago at this point and he's still at it. The Metallica albums of the past two decades are mostly embarrassing. I say this as a person who is of the age group that this stuff was made for.

I subscribe to Guitar World magazine and they put the dinosaurs on the cover and in the feature articles. Sometimes they have a new album to sell and it's usually terrible and at best a weak retread of what they did 30-40 years ago. But then they feature young people in the pages and when I listen to that stuff it's a lot more interesting. Rock is a young person's game.

Since the thread is about the Seattle sound, Chris Cornell, God rest his soul, managed to age gracefully and stay relevant though I guess you could say he benefited from never being tied down to one band or project.

Metallica died with Cliff Burton and Bob Rock burned the corpse. At least I learned a valuable lesson about hero worshipping. I think that's why most of my favorite music comes from dead artists as they can't let you down.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Since the thread is about the Seattle sound, Chris Cornell, God rest his soul, managed to age gracefully and stay relevant though I guess you could say he benefited from never being tied down to one band or project.
I think you can say the same thing about Jack White, but if he came out and said, yea I'm busting out my peppermint Airline and teaming up with Meg it'd be cringe and a novelty act. And I think he knows that which is why he won't do it. But hey we'll see.

I just don't need to hear these bands trying to do what they did decades ago, it's lame. I know these guys have to earn a living but, I saw an email about a Pearl Jam tour and it's like... I'm not going to pay money for that.

bender

What time is it?
I think you can say the same thing about Jack White, but if he came out and said, yea I'm busting out my peppermint Airline and teaming up with Meg it'd be cringe and a novelty act. And I think he knows that which is why he won't do it. But hey we'll see.

I just don't need to hear these bands trying to do what they did decades ago, it's lame. I know these guys have to earn a living but, I saw an email about a Pearl Jam tour and it's like... I'm not going to pay money for that.

Jack White is a little after my time and I couldn't stand what little I heard of the White Stripes.

I've never seen Pearl Jam so I'd probably go see them given the chance. I'm not their biggest fan as I fell into the Nirvana side of that "war", but Eddie is one of the few left standing and is arguably the voice of that style of music.

I feel like they have 10 - 15 killer songs with a steep dropoff after that.

I irrationally hate Jeremy. That song was so goddamned popular in Junior High. It almost triggers me as much as Smashing Pumpkin's 1979.

Black for MTV Unplugged is an all time performance though.

Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams is a great album. Pearl Jam doing Crazy Mary is great but I don't think anything tops Soul Asylum doing Summer of Drugs.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I like the new single more than most of the last album. We need to talk about the more important thing here though: their ticket prices.

I'm from the UK so USA prices have always been all kinds of fucked to me, the place is too big and it prices can vary wildly depending what state you're in, let alone the other factors that we take into account too with this stuff - standing, seated, tiers, sections etc. But I just saw the price list for Manchester and London via the Ten Club forums and thought it was a joke at first - £160 fixed price standing or seated. London is a stadium, Manchester is an arena half the size.

For reference, I paid £105 to see Beyoncé at the same stadium last year standing. I've paid £110 to see Tool at a similar arena this year with a fixed floor seat in the middle. AC/DC isn't as much either I don't think and not even Taylor Swift was charging £160.

A lot of this is shielded by the new "up front pricing" thing designed to make them sound like your friends - this is the final price you pay, no hidden fees at checkouts. Great, but the prices I listed for mostly bigger artists above was the final fee.

I'm gonna have to go on the assumption that those are just the paid fan club presale prices because it's absolutely wild. Better yet, general sale tickets are under the new "register and hope for the best" system designed to, quote, "get tickets into the hands of normal people". There's not many "normal people" left willing to pay these kinds of prices for bands of this size. I love Pearl Jam, but they can do one with this. I watched them do an incredible 2.5 hour festival set in 2022 in Belgium and that was £207 for four days of music including other stadium-sized acts Metallica and RHCP. That wasn't even 2 full years ago.

Industry's fucked and buggered, lads.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I knew I liked you. White's a douchey prick and The White Stripes are fucking terrible.

Kind of reminds me of Jason Newsted shitting on Axel Rose for saying he couldn't perform because of a sore throat while smoking a cigarette and drinking Jack. I bet Jack White never killed Shannon Hoon though.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Kind of reminds me of Jason Newsted shitting on Axel Rose for saying he couldn't perform because of a sore throat while smoking a cigarette and drinking Jack. I bet Jack White never killed Shannon Hoon though.

That first Melon album still holds up pretty well except for that overplayed "No Rain" shit.

bender

What time is it?
Stay away from heroin, kids

Weiland, Hoon, Staley, Cobain, Hendrix, Joplin.

At least those are easier to wrap my head around than Vaughan dying in a helicopter accident after kicking a heroin addiction, Jeff Buckley drowning, or some crazed fan shooting Dimebag.

Ownage

Ah, I see my younger brother was into hardcore as kids minor threat, black flag, suicidal tendencies etc. I went a to few shows with him those pits were crazy. Grunge pits in my mind seem like singing kumbaya. Granted I was very meh on grunge so I wouldn't know. I avoided that scene like the plague.
The bloodiest pit I ever entered was at Antiseen. Wtf did I do.

Wildebeest

In retrospect, Alive was a pretty prophetic song, since most of his competition are no longer here. Although I think Mudhoney are still rocking on as well as Shonen Knife.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Weiland, Hoon, Staley, Cobain, Hendrix, Joplin.

At least those are easier to wrap my head around than Vaughan dying in a helicopter accident after kicking a heroin addiction, Jeff Buckley drowning, or some crazed fan shooting Dimebag.

Id put Michael Hutchence and Brian Jones up there too

Buckley drowning is still the most surreal to me I think. It was just so fucking strange and random.

bender

What time is it?
Id put Michael Hutchence and Brian Jones up there too

Buckley drowning is still the most surreal to me I think. It was just so fucking strange and random.

Life is so random and Buckley proves that. Stevie and Dime hit me the hardest. Partly because of being from Texas but Stevie escaped his demons and came back stronger and better than ever (that MTV Unplugged performance was great) and then picks dies because of a poorly maintained heli. My sister turned me onto Pantera before they broke as she'd caught them in local Fort Worth bars and then he gets shot because some dildo is upset that Pantera broke up. There just aren't lessons to learn from these deaths, just tragedy.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Life is so random and Buckley proves that. Stevie and Dime hit me the hardest. Partly because of being from Texas but Stevie escaped his demons and came back stronger and better than ever (that MTV Unplugged performance was great) and then picks dies because of a poorly maintained heli. My sister turned me onto Pantera before they broke as she'd caught them in local Fort Worth bars and then he gets shot because some dildo is upset that Pantera broke up. There just aren't lessons to learn from these deaths, just tragedy.

Have you seen them for the recent tour? They played here in South Fl like two weeks ago. So sad I didn’t go 😩

Top Bottom