• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda late but great OP.

The amount of features and depth in this game is crazy. I loved prologue but have not been following GT5 as closely as I should have.

Angst

Wow Monaco looks terrific!

homer+drool.gif

Backfoggen said:
Same lol. Never ordered from ShopTo before but if they actually take the shipping duration into account when shipping to mainland Europe I'd definitely keep my eyes on them in the future.

They do. Some of my friends got games the day of release or the day after.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Loading seems really long in this livestream (and car selection is sluggish), does he not have it fully installed?

i-Lo

EviLore said:
Loading seems really long in this livestream (and car selection is sluggish), does he not have it fully installed?

Most likely the 10GB optional install would mitigate it.

CaLe

prelude514 said:
I might have the game!! Girl just told me over the phone she has it and it's for sale!!!! I'll let you guys know where to pick it up in Montreal if it's true!

*crosses fingers*

Prelude, have you any more info to give us..? I live in Montreal, please don't play with my heart :p

The game is awesome. I forced myself to install it in order to stop playing and eat something.

I played a lot of gt 5 prologue in the last few days and I can clearly see the improvement in the graphic and physic departments.

Regarding the framerate, it's clearly not 60 fps locked. In cockpit view with a two or three cars on the screen, there is slowdown and screen tearing. I play in 1080p FYI.

The rest of the time the framerate is fine. The slowdown are mostly annoying at the beginning of the race when you want to pass all those slow cars.

Tested my setup today. My old Logitech Driving Force still works like a charm. Never even tried it on PS3 before! :lol (And Dirt 2 demo was actually fun with a wheel).

Niks

Could someone point me to the GTP thread with the homemade wheel stands? Thanks!
Wanna build my own this weekend!! Any tips or suggestions?

Yoritomo

Salacious Crumb said:
Has there been any news in regards to any sort adjustable steering lock for racing wheels?

900 degrees of steering lock on those rally stages would be borderline unplayable :lol

This is why you get a wheel with adjustable steering lock.

prelude514 said:
Ariel Atom. Search for the Top Gear episode on YouTube.

Nice try, but even the V8 version of the Atom doesn't have more power than weight. Motorcycles have been exceeding that mark for a couple of years now.

At a fraction of the price too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So here's my crazy setup. First I found a good computer stand for about $30. Here's what it normally looks like:

IMG_0057.JPG

First I reversed it so it stood like this:

IMG_0058.JPG

Then I got the table top and got some stickers that perfectly align with my GTPro pedals so that it stays in place, and glued magnets on the left.

IMG_0059.JPG

I put a ton of rubber grips on the bottom so the table doesn't slide around...

IMG_0060.JPG

...and then it attaches to the base of the computer stand, which I outfitted with table legs instead of the wheels. This weighs down the stand nicely since it's so lightweight to begin with.

IMG_0061.JPG

And there it is! I wish the stand was slightly shorter, but otherwise it works nicely until I get an actual stand. :D

IMG_0063.JPG

CaLe said:
Prelude, have you any more info to give us..? I live in Montreal, please don't play with my heart :p

Nah man, sorry for that. I showed up at the store (Blockbuster) and the guy told me he made a mistake. He gave me a free used movie to make up for it though.

I just called about 50 places and nobody is selling it. I'll let you know if I do find it, though.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Ordered form Amazon (US) today with release day shipping for .99¢. Pretty sweet deal with the additional $10 credit.

One thing to not though, sometimes when you actually select the shipping option in your cart sometimes release date shipping is not listed even though it is listed as an option on the product page. I'm not sure why this is the case. I just checked it periodically until I could choose it.

pix

DoctorWho said:
Just ordered myself DFGT from Canada Computers for $70 (refurb). Hopefully the quality is good.

I got mine for $58 there this week. Been playing alot of Dirt 2 with it on Pc and it works great.

Just pre-ordered my second copy. CE Edition from Amazon.co.uk and regular from ShopTo.

EviLore said:
Haven't seen any screen tearing yet in this stream.

The tearing spotted in that other rain video was really weird. The tears didn't cover the entire width of the screen. Didn't even knew that could happen.

chubigans said:
So here's my crazy setup. First I found a good computer stand for about $30. Here's what it normally looks like:

http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/IMG_0057.JPG[/IMG

First I reversed it so it stood like this:

[IMG]http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/IMG_0058.JPG[/IMG

Then I got the table top and got some stickers that perfectly align with my GTPro pedals so that it stays in place, and glued magnets on the left.

[IMG]http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/IMG_0059.JPG[/IMG

I put a ton of rubber grips on the bottom so the table doesn't slide around...

[IMG]http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/IMG_0060.JPG[/IMG
...and then it attaches to the base of the computer stand, which I outfitted with table legs instead of the wheels. This weighs down the stand nicely since it's so lightweight to begin with.

[IMG]http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/IMG_0061.JPG[/IMG

And there it is! I wish the stand was slightly shorter, but otherwise it works nicely until I get an actual stand. :D

[IMG]http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/IMG_0063.JPG[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Nicely done, I'll be using the same thing as well- just need to pick up a wheel finally. I cannot play this with just a controller forever.

Huggers

EviLore said:

Pretty much all of the screen tearing I have seen has been on street levels, London and Rome have it a bit but it's far from game breaking

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Me_Marcadet said:
The game is awesome. I forced myself to install it in order to stop playing and eat something.

I played a lot of gt 5 prologue in the last few days and I can clearly see the improvement in the graphic and physic departments.

Regarding the framerate, it's clearly not 60 fps locked. In cockpit view with a two or three cars on the screen, there is slowdown and screen tearing. I play in 1080p FYI.

The rest of the time the framerate is fine. The slowdown are mostly annoying at the beginning of the race when you want to pass all those slow cars.

I wasn't expecting miracles going by GT5P but this is still depressing to hear. I'd buy an 3DTV if this runs at rock solid 30fps in 3D.

G Rom

EviLore said:
There is screen tearing.
You'll probably notice it on the HD videos we'll publish...

TheExodu5 said:
Whoa...this is a 60fps stream isn't it?
As posted earlier, yes we stream at 60fps (360p/4mbps)

spats

Metalmurphy said:
The streaming spotted in that other rain video was really weird. The tears didn't cover the entire width of the screen. Didn't even knew that could happen.

Maybe they're doing some mad deferred rendering with the Cell, so the screen gets rendered in separate sections. Only reason I can think of.

TheExodu5

Banned
Me_Marcadet said:

Is the framerate any better/worse at 720p?

TheExodu5

Banned
Me_Marcadet said:

edit: why is it double posting? ;_;

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The Hug Dog said:
Pretty much all of the screen tearing I have seen has been on street levels, London and Rome have it a bit but it's far from game breaking

That's workable for me then.

paskowitz

TheExodu5 said:

Well there is 4x AA instead of 2x AA @ 1080p... so it will at least look a little better. I would assume the FR would be the same. GT has always had reasonably solid frame rates. Unlike a certain new game that all the kids are playing... BLOPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom