• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands that you don't get the appeal of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamVimes

The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, and any Fleetwood Mac song not written by or featuring Stevie Nicks. I'm not saying that bands have to be virtuosos or anything, but these groups have barely any chops and don't make up for it other ways.

The Doors were pretty amateurish, but they made it work with Morrison's charisma, Manzarek's soloing, and having their own sound. The Beatles weren't Cream or anything, but they made it work with amazing song writing, harmonization, and versatility.

Eagles/Steve Miller/Fleetwood Mac: I just don't get it, there's nothing there. They aren't great musicians, write boring lyrics, and their subject matter is generic. Peaceful, Easy, Feeling sounds like it was written and performed by a 1st grader on Recess break. Rocking Me Baby, cool intro aside, is completely one note and features almost no instrumentation. And don't get me started on Christine McVie: soulless, cheesy, bland (see You Make Loving Fun or Say You Love Me).
Fuck you man! You don't like my fucking music, get your own fucking cab!

actually i agree

King_Moc

Banned
There's a whole load, but i'm gonna go with Mumford and Sons. Seriously, what the fuck is that all about? Do you just have to dress like farmers and play the banjo to make it nowadays? They're like an extremely shit, 18th century Arcade Fire. And all their songs seem to do the same fucking thing.

I'm not alone in my choices, apparently

Vampire Weekend
Animal Collective (which pisses some people off because I love Pink Floyd, just not of the Syd Barrett Psychedelic variety)
Arcade Fire
Death Cab for Cutie
Almost anything on modern alternative/rock radio

terrisus

I'm aware that Indonesia has a political system, I still wouldn't claim to not be in utter ignorance of it.

But that's not like what we're talking about.

What we're talking about would be like if someone knew about Indonesia's political system and just didn't like it - and the person being called ignorant for not liking it.

No Love

Banned
I'm not alone in my choices, apparently

Vampire Weekend
Animal Collective (which pisses some people off because I love Pink Floyd, just not of the Syd Barrett Psychedelic variety)
Arcade Fire
Death Cab for Cutie
Almost anything on modern alternative/rock radio

Death Cab has some really incredible albums and they put on an amazing live show. I know, I know, but once you give them a chance, listen to their albums, and really soak it in... they are awesome and beautifully well composed. Hard as hell to get out of your head too.

Actually fuck this.

Arcade Fire are are a great fucking band, they put out four albums which range from good (Suburbs/Reflektor Pt 1) to great (Neon Bible/ Refelktor Pt 2) to AOTD level.

Also the fuck is with the Radiohead hate in this thread, at least listen to OK Computer in it's entirety before you throw them under the bus.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
There's a whole load, but i'm gonna go with Mumford and Sons. Seriously, what the fuck is that all about? Do you just have to dress like farmers and play the banjo to make it nowadays? They're like an extremely shit, 18th century Arcade Fire. And all their songs seem to do the same fucking thing.

Oh God, yes. Mark E Smith also agrees:

"We were playing a festival in Dublin the other week, there was this other group warming up in the next sort of chalet, and they were terrible. I said, 'Shut them cunts up,' and they were still warming up, so I threw a bottle at them. The band said, 'That's the Sons Of Mumford or something, they're Number Five in charts!'. I just thought they were a load of retarded Irish folk singers."

To answer the OP: I'd like to add that I don't get the appeal of either Queen or Morrissey... But I do like Merzbow and Radiohead. Swings and roundabouts.

Fuck you man! You don't like my fucking music, get your own fucking cab!

9/10 excellent reference.

Death Cab has some really incredible albums and they put on an amazing live show. I know, I know, but once you give them a chance, listen to their albums, and really soak it in... they are awesome and beautifully well composed. Hard as hell to get out of your head too.
I was invited to see them live a few years ago and decided to pass at the last second, actually. I should have gone just to check it out. I'll be honest, I think Gibbard's voice just bugs me and I might love the band musically if I could ever get past it.

I can think another band like that (lead singer voice just bothers me) off the top of my head, but it happens to be a bit of a sacred cow here on GAF so I'll keep it to myself haha.

Falling in Reverse is another one that I see zero appeal in.

A shitty cocktail of three genres topped of with a ball of snot. Who can possibly handle listening to them beyond ten seconds?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I know, opinions and all, but wut

I may want to tear my ears out and eat them every time one of their songs comes on anything that isn't GTA related, and I may find them histrionic, camp, overly produced and all in all not a little trite...

...but goddamnit I respect them (as in, they are clearly great musicians... But so what?).

injurai

Banned
Radiohead. I've never been able to get into their stuff.

Same, though Thom Yorke has worked with countless of my favorite artists. I think I missed the boat to attune myself to their sound. It doesn't really do anything special for me.

Coldplay. They sound like an in-between of older Muse and Radiohead, which theoretically should be absolutely amazing. However, I just can't get into their music. Just sounds so bland.

Anyways, I expected to see a lot of posts with Radiohead in them. The first time I listened to a song of theirs (outside of Creep) I genuinely thought it was complete bollocks. Then I got into other bands similar to Radiohead like Pink Floyd and Muse and some quality electronica. I then went back to Radiohead and fell in love.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

What we're talking about would be like if someone knew about Indonesia's political system and just didn't like it - and the person being called ignorant for not liking it.

If you're unable to hear music as anything deeper or more structured than "noise", then no, you don't understand it.

It's like being tone deaf. Actually, maybe that's the problem here. Maybe you're tone deaf? Have you ever been tested?

King_Moc

Banned
I may want to tear my ears out and eat them every time one of their songs comes on anything that isn't GTA related, and I may find them histrionic, camp, overly produced and all in all not a little trite...

...but goddamnit I respect them (as in, they are clearly great musicians... But so what?).

Yup, agreed. I can't stand them and have no idea what soever where all the love comes from for them. Is it because one of them died? They're just really irritating and childish. I'd be embarrassed to listen to them if i liked them. I don't think musical ability is particularly relevant when it comes to good music either. Songwriting and playing appear to be almost entirely unrelated in my experience.

No Love

Banned
I was invited to see them live a few years ago and decided to pass at the last second, actually. I should have gone just to check it out. I'll be honest, I think Gibbard's voice just bugs me and I might love the band musically if I could ever get past it.

I can think another band like that (lead singer voice just bothers me) off the top of my head, but it happens to be a bit of a sacred cow here on GAF so I'll keep it to myself haha.

You missed out. Big time. They are so, so good live. Sound just like the albums. Maybe even better.

I think you just need to get over his voice and grow to love the music, man!

Mahonay

Banned
Dave Matthews Band.

There's not many times where I'll take the kind of "why does anyone listen to this?" stance when it comes to music, but really I don't understand how Dave Matthews is still so popular. I mean I understand it's white kid college music, but Jesus. How did they not get left behind in the 90's?

Mumei

He's saying that by calling music "noise" you are demonstrating your ignorance of it. I think it's more likely that you're talking past one another; you probably just mean "noise" as in "It is unwanted sounds in my environment." Fair enough, I suppose.

I don't think he thinks you're making a comment about your preferences, though. I get the sense that he thinks you're trying to make a factual claim, and "noise" is actually differentiated from "musical tone." For instance, Vennard defines noise as any series of sound waves that is irregular, and musical tone as a sound wave which forms a pattern that repeats itself regularly. And musical tone has further properties that can be measured and described, such as pitch, duration, intensity, timbre, and sonance.

This is obviously just in terms of the acoustic qualities, though I think that in broader terms this also applies; music is patterned and organized, whereas noise is, er, random noises that aren't strung together in any logical or coherent fashion (and probably doesn't involve the production of musical tone).

(I hope this helps)

genjiZERO

What is a 'radio' rapper? And how does it differ from other varieties of rappers?

Like say compared to someone as old as Kool Keith or as new as Tyler, The Creator. But those are kinda extreme examples. But look, even amongst rap fans, I know I'm in the minority. I just don't get what people see in Eminem. He just seems average to me.

now I'm really certain you are using it in the artificially narrowed context
which groups btw?

Tricky, Massive Attack and Portishead. But, I'm kidding a little bit with being so narrow.

Dave Matthews Band.

There's not many times where I'll take the kind of "why does anyone listen to this?" stance when it comes to music, but really I don't understand how Dave Matthews is still so popular. I mean I understand it's white kid college music, but Jesus. How did they not get left behind in the 90's?

As someone who has spent many days in nights in Cville, I'm biased, but the appeal of DMB is that, too this day, they put on a great amphitheater concert. Puff out on the lawn and dance the night away. In a way it's similar to a Phish show (except the community isn't nearly as developed and it's a lot more mainstream). It's a lot of fun if you have hippie tendencies.

Symphonia

Banned
Nirvana. I really, really don't get the fascination with this group and I swear blind most kids 'listen' to them because of the suicide of Cobain and how 'in' it is to like them.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Chalk me up for the Beatles.
I've spent a lot of time drunk around bonfires arguing with people over this, but sadly for me it's always an uphill battle.

Pop music as well, for adults. I get why pre-teens and young people like it, but for any adult with the mental capability to grasp deeper lyrics and more complex instrumentals it boggles my mind they put up with such shallow, meaningless and manufactured music.

As far as I'm concerned the Beatles pretty much defined the future of pop music and this is why I hate them, but apparently I'm ignorant of the stronger aspects of their catalogue

I just don't get what people see in Eminem. He just seems average to me.

Yeah see I can understand not "liking" Eminem, but being a hip-hop fan and calling average just seems ridiculous to me. Even if you don't like his music, there's no denying his incredible lyricism and skill with words.

glam and hair bands.
OOHHHH this too. How in the holy fuck this style of music dominated for so long, and is now experiencing a revival (Fuck you Steel Panther) wrecks my brain. Everything, EVERYTHING about it is awful. Except the cocaine and banging groupies all the time, I can get behind that.

The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, and any Fleetwood Mac song not written by or featuring Stevie Nicks. I'm not saying that bands have to be virtuosos or anything, but these groups have barely any chops and don't make up for it other ways.

The Doors were pretty amateurish, but they made it work with Morrison's charisma, Manzarek's soloing, and having their own sound. The Beatles weren't Cream or anything, but they made it work with amazing song writing, harmonization, and versatility.

Eagles/Steve Miller/Fleetwood Mac: I just don't get it, there's nothing there. They aren't great musicians, write boring lyrics, and their subject matter is generic. Peaceful, Easy, Feeling sounds like it was written and performed by a 1st grader on Recess break. Rocking Me Baby, cool intro aside, is completely one note and features almost no instrumentation. And don't get me started on Christine McVie: soulless, cheesy, bland (see You Make Loving Fun or Say You Love Me).

I was going to post the Eagles & Steve Miller Band, because I hate them, but I do get the appeal... That "easy peaceful enjoy life man" sentiment of the Eagles & Steve Miller is precisely why many people like them. I also hate Jimmy Buffet and I'd say "How can anybody like this?!" but people like Jimmy Buffet for the same reasons... relaxing party music for your parents.

Although Fleetwood Mac is fucking awesome. Well, Stevie Nix fleetwood. Go Your Own Way and The Chain.. couple awesome songs. The album Rumors is a seriously timeless album... it could be made by an alt-country band today and be groundbreaking. Shearwater/Okkervil River reminds me a lot of Fleetwood Mac.. And the Decemberists had some classic Fleetwood Mac melodies on their last album.

Arcade Fire fan I see

Where's the idea that Arcade Fire fans are all young? Saw em in concert five or six years ago and everybody was like mid-late-20s to 30s. Maybe that's changed though.. haven't really kept up with them

King_Moc

Banned
Nirvana. I really, really don't get the fascination with this group and I swear blind most kids 'listen' to them because of the suicide of Cobain and how 'in' it is to like them.

In Utero was a good album, but i don't see why you'd listen to them when there was better stuff going on at the same time. Maybe it's just Smells Like Teen Spirit, which is, to be fair, pretty damn good. They were massive before the suicide, but so were a lot of bands. I think it definitely helped with garnering the fans they still do. They don't have to see him as a failed 40 something that went shit after the third album. They can all hold on to the impossible dream that he was special and would have done 20 albums full of all time classics. Like a musical Bill Hicks.

It's a shame, because they're ignoring the fact that someone already did this. Nick Cave.

terrisus

He's saying that by calling music "noise" you are demonstrating your ignorance of it. I think it's more likely that you're talking past one another; you probably just mean "noise" as in "It is unwanted sounds in my environment." Fair enough, I suppose.

I don't think he thinks you're making a comment about your preferences, though. I get the sense that he thinks you're trying to make a factual claim, and "noise" is actually differentiated from "musical tone." For instance, Vennard defines noise as any series of sound waves that is irregular, and musical tone as a sound wave which forms a pattern that repeats itself regularly. And musical tone has further properties that can be measured and described, such as pitch, duration, intensity, timbre, and sonance.

This is obviously just in terms of the acoustic qualities, though I think that in broader terms this also applies; music is patterned and organized, whereas noise is, er, random noises that aren't strung together in any logical or coherent fashion (and probably doesn't involve the production of musical tone).

(I hope this helps)

I think that sums it all up pretty well actually. Thanks.

So, yeah, "noise" was the wrong term for me to use, my fault there.
"Unwanted sounds in my environment" it is then.

genjiZERO

Yeah see I can understand not "liking" Eminem, but being a hip-hop fan and calling average just seems ridiculous to me. Even if you don't like his music, there's no denying his incredible lyricism and skill with words.

Well, he's good with lyrics I'll give him that. 50% of why I don't like him (or get him really) is because of his aesthetic - I don't like the production on his tracks at all and the beats are lame. But there's something else, I can't quite put my finger on... Honestly, I think I might be biased against him because I tend to judge him based on that silly My Name Is song. Again though, I acknowledge hiphop fans everywhere love him - that's why I don't "get" it.

Cobains personality. He was a "cool" dick.

I was in highschool when Nirvana was at their height. Then, I really didn't get it at all. I agree that I think a lot of it was the cult of personality around Cobain. But as an adult I think the importance of Nirvana is that they completely revitalized mainstream American rock music. Don't get me wrong, groups like Sonic Youth are far better, artistically, but without Nirvana pop-rock radio would have continued to be the evolution of glam and hair bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom