• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Kyūkon;136096507 said:
You guys mainly going for a physical or digital copy for Smash Wii U?

I'm not getting any bundles so just wondering if the physical copy offers any other incentive like a printed instructions guide or something.

Yes, it's been a while since I last bought any physical copies of a game so I have no idea really.

Physical.

Neoxon

So we got Greninja & Mewtwo at the cost of Squirtle & Ivysaur. Was the sacrifice worth it?

Kyūkon;136096507 said:

I'm not getting any bundles so just wondering if the physical copy offers any other incentive like a printed instructions guide or something.

Yes, it's been a while since I last bought any physical copies of a game so I have no idea really.
Physical

-Horizon-

New thread already? Wow.

Last full thread to get a wall of shame? We did it you guys.

V36ZDCN.png

Wow again, I actually still made it on the list.

Golnei

Wonder-Red HAS to be a DLC character!

Unfortunately, even for DLC characters (who aren't veterans or clones), I'd expect Sakurai's qualifying clauses for newcomers would probably be in effect. Which means characters with no future aren't up for consideration.

I would want beach Wolf skin

especially if he's in speedos

I'd prefer 'costume swap' DLC, myself.

tumblr_ndu44nDAr71rebpa3o1_r1_500.png

Kyūkon;136096507 said:

Probably physical. For systems with no proper account system, I tend to avoid digital copies.

Lmao reading through these first 8 pages... The Mewtwo hype is so real! So real! Part of me is glad he was absent from Brawl just because these moments of hype are so amazing. I'll remember this forever lol.

Something similar could happen if he's bundled with a newcomer - Charizard got a trailer appearance, after all.

Looking at his Pyrosphere cameo, Ridley's a bit of a mess right now. But I'm sure he'll be okay once he gets his skin repigmented, his nictitating membranes trimmed a little, a bit of cosmetic surgery to reshape his ducklike head and a new set of dentures.

03787a24b397.gif

Isn't this Ridley based on Other-M as well?

Kandinsky

Kyūkon;136096507 said:

Because of that hideous looking boxart I was going to buy digital, but after the direct it will probably end up being a 25gb download lol.

After Mewtwo, Smash 3DS / Wii U will have six Pokémon. That's fine, but I also think that's more than enough Pokémon in one Smash game by any reasonable measure. I'm not saying there aren't other deserving Pokémon, but other series need DLC love too!

I highly doubt there will be any more Pokémon DLC characters for those reasons. I'm pinning my realistic hopes on Dixie, my somewhat distant hopes on the Chorus Kids, the Ice Climbers, Wolf, and/or Lucas. and my completely unrealistic hopes on Ganon or Hyrule Warriors Impa.

Golnei

Isn't this Ridley based on Other-M as well?

It uses that model as a base, but alters the skin, eyes, teeth, neck and head to be much less offensive. The talons should probably be cut a little and the pink growths removed, but it's overall a huge improvement over the original Other M / SSB4 model.

After Mewtwo, Smash 3DS / Wii U will have six Pokémon. That's fine, but I also think that's more than enough Pokémon in one Smash game by any reasonable measure. I'm not saying there aren't other deserving Pokémon, but other series need DLC love too!

Which still only brings it back to Brawl's level. Depending on the amount of DLC characters, I wouldn't find it too egregious if they bundled Ivysaur, Squirtle or some variation thereof with other veterans - though I agree that any further Pokemon newcomers would be a waste of resources.

Hatchtag

Banned
So we got Greninja & Mewtwo at the cost of Squirtle & Ivysaur. Was the sacrifice worth it?

Physical

Meh. Mewtwo and Ivysaur would've been the goat. Really hope he comes back as DLC. I don't really see another Pokemon rep as unreasonable.

Veeboy

Will fund single handedly if need be.

I highly doubt there will be any more Pokémon DLC characters for those reasons. I'm pinning my realistic hopes on Dixie, my somewhat distant hopes on the Chorus Kids, the Ice Climbers, Wolf, and/or Lucas. and my completely unrealistic hopes on Ganon or Hyrule Warriors Impa.

I agree on the Pokemon thing. We have 6 pokemon which has the added bonus of being a full pokemon team. I do feel we'll be getting more pokemon in future smash installments, but there are other series that need some DLC love. I'd definitely love for Dixie and Impa to get in personally, but we'll have to wait and see.

Did Spainkiller ever hear back from his source? I'm leaning towards their source being (somewhat) honest due to Mewtwo and the connectivity stuff (didn't someone else vouch for them too?), but the whole Ridley aspect could have just been a scrapped level boss for Brinstar or a Pyrosphere port like Yellow Devil being in both versions. I get that Other M Ridley's just a clone of the *real* Ridley, but it'd a bit too weird at this point to pull the rug from under everybody if that's what they were planning.

Does that actually seem too weird?

Neoxon

If Spainkiller's source is to be believed, the Chorus Kids & Dixie Kong have the best chances of anyone. So my realistic hopes are on those two, & my distant hopes are with the Wonderful Ones (or at least Wonder Red).

Does it bother anyone else that the Ridley model in smash 4 seems to move its upper jaw to open it's mouth? Is there even a creature than can move their upper jaw outside of sharks? It looks terrible :/

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
zlCfzSlsxaADLyAUvH

Pic of the day. The color variations for Shulk are all based off outfit colors of his travel companions…excluding one of them. Lucina's color variations are also based off the female characters in Fire Emblem Awakening.
haha nice.

Hey, real quick - it just occurred to me this weekend that we've still got a few more minutes of Smash Bros footage we're allowed to release, and I've got about 2 hours of gameplay I captured to comb through. Are there any things y'all would like to see more of that hasn't been covered in any existing gameplay footage?

Hey, real quick - it just occurred to me this weekend that we've still got a few more minutes of Smash Bros footage we're allowed to release, and I've got about 2 hours of gameplay I captured to comb through. Are there any things y'all would like to see more of that hasn't been covered in any existing gameplay footage?
Any footage of mario in his America outfit? Or black and gold mega man?

RomanceDawn

Does it bother anyone else that the Ridley model in smash 4 seems to move its upper jaw to open it's mouth? Is there even a creature than can move their upper jaw outside of sharks? It looks terrible :/

Yeah I don't like that either, but what can you do? Actually complaining on Miiverse could help for the next game!

Ridley has a stock icon, aerial attacks, ground based attacks, fallen animation, KO animation, ledge grab animation and probably more. Just give him a victory theme and call it a day Sakurai please!

It uses that model as a base, but alters the skin, eyes, teeth, neck and head to be much less offensive. The talons should probably be cut a little and the pink growths removed, but it's overall a huge improvement over the original Other M / SSB4 model.

Too bad they didn't just use this one then. They clearly knew how awful it looked then.. why not now?

Kyzon

Yeah I don't like that either, but what can you do? Actually complaining on Miiverse could help for the next game!

Ridley has a stock icon, aerial attacks, ground based attacks, fallen animation, KO animation, ledge grab animation and probably more. Just give him a victory theme and call it a day Sakurai please!

I'm betting he becomes a manageable size if he hits a poison mushroom too.

Mewtwo is a fucking awesome DLC choice and, at least for me personally, the best veteran DLC they could have chosen. Realistically, I think Dixie is a really strong contender for newcomer DLC, depending on when Splatoon comes out (most likely in Spring, when we'll be getting this) I could see an Inkling being downlodable as well. I'm not super confident on that, but Wooly World has show me they don't mind doing recent releases.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
While these threads in post frequency have slowed down considerably due to the OT for the 3DS version, it's not too bad:

Post statistics for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Total posts: 19846
Duration: 44,2270833 days (44 days, 5 hours, 27 minutes and 0 seconds)
Posts per day: 448,72956838191497923174147005077
Posts per hour: 18,6970653351547411559658957087

Moonlight

Banned
Inkling feels like one of those things that would be held back for Smash 5, I dunno.

Mewtwo is a definitely the best realistic DLC choice, though, so I'm glad it happened.
#FreeLyn

-Horizon-

Inkling feels like one of those things that would be held back for Smash 5, I dunno.

Mewtwo is a definitely the best realistic DLC choice, though, so I'm glad it happened.
#FreeLyn

I'm gonna say that the DLC will just be veterans and older remade stages.

No new characters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

No new characters.

Older remade stages bundles is something that I already called for. After seeing Congo 64 Stage, I think we have a good chance to get past stages dlc bundle. I'm not sure if they would split it into N64 Bundle, Melee Bundle and Brawl bundle.

It would be very nice if we are getting new stages too but I have a doubt about it tho.

For characters DLC, if we are getting more characters than Mewtwo then I could foresee that those characters would be fan-favorite characters so they can sell DLC characters to the customers.

Older remade stages bundles is something that I already called for. After seeing Congo 64 Stage, I think we have a good chance to get past stages dlc bundle. I'm not sure if they would split it into N64 Bundle, Melee Bundle and Brawl bundle.

It would be very nice if we are getting new stages too but I have a doubt about it tho.
Give me saffron city and fountain of dreams

-Horizon-

For characters DLC, if we are getting more characters than Mewtwo then I could foresee that those characters would be fan-favorite characters so they can sell DLC characters to the customers.

That sounds like something they would do. Just to better organize them if they do bundle them.

Moonlight

Banned

No new characters.
I'm sorta tempted to agree, but I feel like the cut veterans except for maybe the Ice Climbers and Snake (and Snake is dead) wouldn't really be draws like Mewtwo is, who's got the benefit of eternal popularity inside the Pokemon fandom. I'm just gonna go with a vague 'anything that was left on the cutting room floor'.

I'd like tho see some stages that we haven't seen to much or to be more particular, heard too much. Norfair, Garden of Hope, Castle Siege, Coliseum, Onett, Mario Circuit, Luigi's mansion, Town & City. Any of those will do.

Berordn

I'm sorta tempted to agree, but I feel like the cut veterans except for maybe the Ice Climbers and Snake (and Snake is dead) wouldn't really be draws like Mewtwo is, who's got the benefit of eternal popularity inside the Pokemon fandom. I'm just gonna go with a vague 'anything that was left on the cutting room floor'.

Nintendo seems to like selling DLC as packages, so bundling a couple of cut veterans with new characters and stages would be an easy sell for 10-12 dollars. Mewtwo might be the only one-off, or might actually be part of a package we don't know about yet.

Neoxon

No new characters.
Again, if Spainkiller is to be believed, they're sitting on 2 newcomers. There's no good reason to hold them back.

I'm still really feeling a 3-pack with the Spainkiller 3.

Neiteio

There were six Pokémon in Brawl. If they also brought back Squirtle and Ivysaur, you'd have eight Pokémon, which would be perfect for an 8-player theme match. Pokémon representation would be under 15% on a 54-character roster (54 when Mewtwo, Squirtle and Ivysaur are included), which is lower than Pokémon's share of past rosters (15.3 percent in Brawl; 16 percent in Melee). And of course, that percent would go down as you add other characters. :)

Regarding Chorus Kids: If they were a multi-man character like Ice Climbers, perhaps they've been retooled into Marshal feat. Rhythm Heaven references. Marshal and Dixie Kong would be neat newcomers. I'd also love Captain Toad and Inklings. (If Wooly World can have a stage in advance of the game, then Inklings can have a character around the time of Splatoon or after!)

-Horizon-

So you're saying...Miku?

Again, if Spainkiller is to be believed, they're sitting on 2 newcomers. There's no good reason to hold them back.

Remind me again what Spainkiller is, I'm not keeping track of all these leaks.

emb

There were six Pokémon in Brawl. If they also brought back Squirtle and Ivysaur, you'd have eight Pokémon, which would be perfect for an 8-player theme match.
Perfect Pokemon theme matches will need a 12 player mode.

But a 4v4 Pokemon battle will work too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I can't really see them bundling Mewtwo with other characters because Mewtwo were supposedly to be free dlc for people who purchased both versions. It would be weird if they decided to included Mewtwo in Bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom