• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V final box art (A Hideo Kojima Game/Kojima Productions removed)

sflufan

Banned
huh? Someone like Kojima would have a fucking monument.

What I mean is that it's similar to what used to happen to individuals whom the Soviet leadership deemed to be "non-persons". Their names were literally wiped from records so that it was if they never existed in the first place.

dg5TzX2.gif

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I know that. I just don't understand why people make a big deal out something so insignificant.

In what way is taking someone's name off of something they have spent almost 30 years of their life creating insignificant?

mf.luder

With how missions are playable at your own pace, similar to peace walker but larger in scale, maybe it makes sense to have credits at the outset of each one?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
In what way is taking someone's name off of something they have spent almost 30 years of their life creating insignificant?

Exactly, Kojima Productions fed their mouths for almost 30 years and this is how Konami thanks them for that?

Venom Fox

Banned
Konami have officially sunk to the lowest point they could have, in terms of disrespect towards Kojima and Kojipro.

This is Kojima's life work, he created the fucking game with his own mind, he has every right to be credited wherever he wants to be.
This is also why I get defencive of people who say "why does Kojima have to have his name on every other line if the credits"

Tbh, I would if I had created a franchise like that.

They removed the studio too? That's just bullshit, now not only have they erased Kojima from the game, but also everyone who worked hard making it for all those years. Fuck Konami.

Mathezar

What the hell is going on? MGS5 will be the last MGS game for me, even if Konami continues.

No Kojima, no Hayter. I'm starting to doubt if replacing Hayter was even a decision Kojima made or was involved in.
As it turns out, Konami have been short-changing the English voice cast left and right. The actor who played Major Zero was apparently set to return in TPP, but re-cast in the end because Konami was of the opinion that his asking fee was too high, you can watch the interview with the actor here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MsEYrSTMpw (starts at 33:55)

DeaviL

Banned
I'm not even mad, i just don't understand the reasoning behind this.

Does anyone have a functional explanation?

Ricky_R

Because it's just a name on the cover. His life's work is still there and fans know it was done by him. In the grand scheme of things (gaming related) it's a pretty insignificant situation.

If Konami would've fired Kojima and Koji Pro during MGSV's development and continue with another studio, I would understand any level of outrage. Outrage over name and logo removal from the cover? Ridiculous in my eyes.

Don't just jump to conclusions. It might not be Konami's fault at all, but might be some sort of Back To the Future situation playing out.

GHound

Gold Member
This world will become one, I have found the way. Consoles, personal computers, even our smartphones will be irrelevant... The world of mobile pachislot machines will finally become a reality, and it will make mankind whole again.

( ゜○゜) damn son... that's cold!

I love it.

butman

cGGAT2p.jpg

Saw that on Blablurn's Twitter. I'm on mobile, I have no idea of the resolution but I want something like that.

Any chance to get shinkawa art to have the front cover part like this?

468106-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-playstation-4.jpg

Game title beneath with "A Hideo Kojima Game" obviously.

Elios83

I'm not even mad, i just don't understand the reasoning behind this.

Does anyone have a functional explanation?

Reason is obvious.
Kojima is a soon to be ex employee and Kojima Productions has been disbanded.
Konami owns the MGS IP and they want it to be associated with them and not with a person that won't be part of the company anymore.
This is pretty obvious, also most games don't have the name of the director slapped on the cover anyway. There'a nothing to be shocked or outraged about.
This is just a normal consequence of Kojima and Konami parting ways which is indeed sad.

BigTnaples

Because it's just a name on the cover. His life work is still there and fans know it was done by him. In the grand scheme of things (gaming related) it's a pretty insignificant situation.

If Konami would've fired Kojima and Koji Pro during MGSV's development and continue with another studio, I would understand any level of outrage. Outrage over name and logo removal from the cover? Ridiculous in my eyes.

Insignificant to us sure.

But the point is the Artist is not being credited appropriately for histhier life's work.

No different than if a Speilberge were to have his name wiped from Shindlers List because of a spat with Universal.

It's horrible. Inexcusable.

Just because it doesn't effect the end user very much doesn't mean it's not a big deal. Especially in this case, where as I said before, this is man and his teams life work, to have your name stripped from your own creation, is a big deal.

But the point is the Artist is not being credited appropriately for histhier life's work.

No different than if a Speilberge were to have his name wiped from Shindlers List because of a spat with Universal.

Just because it doesn't effect the end user very much doesn't mean it's not a big deal. Especially in this case, where as I said before, this is man and his teams life work, to have your name stripped from your own creation, is a big deal.
lmao what the heck. How many other games don't have one dude's name plastered all over the cover and no one gives a shit? What makes Kojima so special other than the creepy idolatry that surrounds him?

Your reaction is warranted if they somehow erased his names from the credits but there's no indication of that.

Ricky_R

I understand your point, but looking at it from a video game industry stand point, where having the game creator's name on the cover is definitely not the norm, it's weird to see it become such a bid deal. Specially since Konami is a game developer and the MG franchise is their property. Kojima was lucky enough to get his logo on the cover, let along his name.

Now, having his name removed from the credits would be a bigger deal.

Paz

lmao what the heck. How many other games don't have one dude's name plastered all over the cover and no one gives a shit? What makes Kojima so special other than the creepy idolatry that surrounds him?

Your reaction is warranted if they somehow erased his names from the credits but there's no indication of that.

They left the fucking engine name on the box and removed the team that built the engine and game.

This is some incredibly gross and petty shit the likes of which we've not really seen in the big game space.

They left the fucking engine name on the box and removed the team that built the engine and game.

This is some incredibly gross and petty shit the likes of which we've not really seen in the big game space.
FOX Engine isn't just used for Metal Gear Solid games though. I doubt they put that up there out of spite or with some kind of malicious intent.

In any case I think you are overreacting.

Jigorath

Banned

His name will be plastered all over the end credits and the opening, there'll be a dozen references to Kojima throughout the game. How is he not being credited for his work?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They're treating us like we're stupid. It's Hideo Kojima's game no matter what. It's been his game since the beginning. It's disgusting how they did this with his last MGS. His last MGS and they take his name off. They're acting like we're a bunch of morons. Sure there's some people like that, there always is, but it's BS to do it now. This sounds like something they would do for North America. They always want to give us a portion of what it is as a whole. They're taking his line of work away for nothing. He's been the only thing keeping Konami afloat for a very long time.

We're all being given a product without its original box art. I don't need to hear that it's not a big deal because it's BS. It's how we know his games period.

Where's their community? Are they sitting back and letting it all go to pot? Staring at their coffee all day long?

Justified

Here we go again.

Personally I think Konami should keep his name on his work....having said that we know next to nothing about what happen to cause the disbandment of Kojipro. When Konami created Kojipro, they probably gave him all the promotional rights to the name, that he is taking with him.

As I continue to state, its best to hold off before damning Konami for this whole incident, This could be an action to hang on Kojima for all we know (They do enough of other crap that deserves our venom though)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I understand your point, but looking at it from a video game industry stand point, where having the game creator's name on the cover is definitely not the norm, it's weird to see it become such a bid deal. Specially since Konami is a game developer and the MG franchise is their property. Kojima was lucky enough to get his logo on the cover, let along his name.

It isn't an industry-wide standard, you're right. It is, however, the norm for Kojima developed games for the last 20 (?) years, so I'd say it was a fairly "big deal" because of that fact alone.

I thought it was removed months ago. Why so I feel like this already happened? Or is this just about the final box art having "day one edition" plastered on it and still not having Kojima's name and company on it?

BigTnaples

His name will be plastered all over the end credits and the opening, there'll be a dozen references to Kojima throughout the game. How is he not being credited for his work?

I said properly, not that he was not being credited at all.

Also, it would be different had the credit never been there in the first place, but removing it like this is MEANT to be an insult to the creator, which in and of itself makes this unacceptable.

It was there, something happened between the 2 parties, and the party with the power to do so wiped the other from existence wherever they could get away with doing so.

How is this all of the sudden okay?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

It's how we know his work. It's his last game. He deserves that last ode to his games.

How bad is it to just take it away because you want to go mobile or hand MGS off to some offshore developing house?

Kolx

I'm just happy that this is the last installment in the franchise that Kojima was planning to do so no loss here.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think it's safe to say that Kojima slept with Konami boss's wife and daughter. Together. There is no other explanation for this debacle.

Top Bottom