• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Switch Info (includes Ultimate Team, missing The Journey, has PBR rendering)

MDave

Not interested in football (or the drama associated with it) and I don't own a single FIFA game and I've been a gamer for 25+ years, but now that might change. This has me interested. If it has a gentle learning curve for those that have never played a soccer game since Super Soccer on the SNES, then I might be in. I'm probably one of the few rare minorities in the UK hah. But if there are a lot of gamers like me, then EA could tap into a market here. The local multiplayer aspect sounds perfect with the Switch's setup.

Calm Mind

DB_yUSjWAAAxPct.jpg
DB_yUSyXkAQCJnh.jpg
DB_yUSkWsAAmNfk.jpg
DB_yUSmXsAAw7YO.jpg

https://twitter.com/RadzewiczSzymon/status/873683302791643137

Belker

It's nice to have good graphics, but this talk about character models and grass and lighting feels like it won't be important if it plays well.

It's not going to be judged on the same merits as a normal console release. And even if it was, wouldn't the word of mouth from friends be enough to drive sales?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It's nice to have good graphics, but this talk about character models and grass and lighting feels like it won't be important if it plays well.

It's not going to be judged on the same merits as a normal console release. And even if it was, wouldn't the word of mouth from friends be enough to drive sales?
Again, tabletop mode + split Joy Con for local multiplayer anywhere is the real selling point for this version of FIFA 18.

Product into from Best Buy. Sounds good.

Built for Switch:
Your FIFA, Your Way: Brand-new ways to play single and multiplayer on the most social FIFA experience ever. With a variety of controller and display configurations available, as well as split Joy-Con support, FIFA 18 on the Nintendo Switch offers a responsive and engaging gaming experience - no matter how you play.
Your Favorite FIFA Modes, for Nintendo SWITCH: With FIFA Ultimate TeamTM, Career Mode, and Switch-tailored Kickoff, and Local Seasons, FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch is the deepest portable FIFA ever.
Immersive Presentation and Gameplay: With advanced rendering technology, FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch delivers an unparalleled experience. The product boasts a full 1080p on TV and 720p on handheld, delivering authentic football atmospheres, no matter where you play. Experience brand-new pitch environments, unique physically based rendering for all characters, and new gameplay mechanics.
Your FIFA, Your Way
Console Configurations: Experience FIFA wherever, whenever and however you want. Connect to your television and play, Single or Multiplayer, Offline or Online*, or take the same modes on-the-go. Play with the console:

Docked
Handheld
Tabletop
Local Multiplayer Connection
Split Joy-Con Support: A new FIFA control scheme, built exclusively for Nintendo Switch, enables you to compete with your friends anytime and anywhere. Without any additional hardware, players can separate the Joy-Con controllers and enjoy multiplayer game modes at home, or on the go. Joy-Con Support on FIFA 18 includes:

Handheld
Dual
Single
Note: FIFA 18 will also support Pro Controller configuration.

Your Favorite FIFA Modes, for Nintendo Switch
With FIFA Ultimate Team, Career Mode, Switch Kick Off, and Local Seasons, FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch offers fans more depth in modes than any other portable console.

With FIFA Ultimate Team, Career Mode, Switch Kick Off, and Local Seasons, FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch offers fans more depth in modes than any other portable console.

Switch Kick Off: Pick-up and play instantly in single-player or local multiplayer with a friend.
Local Seasons: Match-up with a friend, play a five-match season, and keep track of your overall win/loss record. Local Seasons are played across two Nintendo Switch consoles allowing up to 4 players.
Career Mode: Take control of a club as a player or manager and steer your club to victory over multiple seasons.
Tournaments: Play offline in a knockout style tournament structure.
Women's International Cup: Play as the world's best women's teams and compete for your country in a knockout style tournament.
Skill Games: Hone your skills playing individual mini-games focused on dribbling, passing, shooting, defending and more.
Online Seasons: Compete against other Nintendo Switch players online and track your divisional progress as you push to get promoted and ultimately win the championship.
FIFA Ultimate Team: The most popular mode in EA SPORTS FIFA is available on Nintendo Switch, allowing you to build and manage your own squad from thousands of authentic players.

Depth in Modes: The most exciting ways to play FUT including: Single Player and Online versions of Seasons, Tournaments, and Draft while also featuring Squad Building Challenges and Team of The Week Challenges.
FUT Icons: The best of the best are coming to FIFA 18. Play with most iconic legends of football including Ronaldo Nazário, and more to be revealed.
Live Campaigns: FIFA Ultimate Team reflects the real world, evolving with the season to align and reflect major cultural and football moments.
Transfer Market: Engage in a global transfer system, buying and selling players to build your team and track down the players you want for your squad.
Immersive Gameplay and Presentation
Authentic Visuals: With advanced rendering technology, FIFA on Nintendo Switch delivers an unparalleled experience. The product boasts full 1080p on TV and 720p on handheld, Nintendo Switch delivers authentic football atmospheres.

Physically Based Player Rendering (PBR): Experience authentic player renders, built with PBR shading to make characters more life-like than ever before on a portable console.
Immersive Environments: Advanced rendering technology puts you in authentic stadiums, featuring 3D crowds and grass, and immersive broadcast presentation.
Gameplay: New gameplay mechanics allow you to take total control on the pitch.

Complete Control Crossing: All-new crossing controls provide the player with a variety of options to put the ball into the box, creating dynamic attacking chances.
Responsive Play: Feel in control of possession in attack, with creative skills, responsive touches, and a dynamic control dribble mechanic. In addition, authentic animations for volleys, shooting, and tackling offer a fluid and rewarding gameplay experience.
Trainer Overlays: Intelligent overlays help you learn gameplay mechanics. The trainer adapts to how your style of play, giving an edge to players of all skill levels

GunBR

Not interested in football (or the drama associated with it) and I don't own a single FIFA game and I've been a gamer for 25+ years, but now that might change. This has me interested. If it has a gentle learning curve for those that have never played a soccer game since Super Soccer on the SNES, then I might be in. I'm probably one of the few rare minorities in the UK hah. But if there are a lot of gamers like me, then EA could tap into a market here. The local multiplayer aspect sounds perfect with the Switch's setup.
Well, you can start playing against the AI in the easiest difficult to learn the controls (like in any sports game), but FIFA is definitely not beginner friendly

Again, tabletop mode + split Joy Con for local multiplayer anywhere is the real selling point for this version of FIFA 18.

I don't really see this happening. Who is going to play that seriously? I mean playing against each other with controllers yes, but with joy con? For a semi serieus football game? Seems impossible to me.

For singeplayer games it seems fantastic. Although I'll stay with the base version for this year. Just because that would still be my ideal FIFA place. Controller, couch and a headset.

Vic

I'm kind on the same boat. I haven't played FIFA for a while, but the Switch makes me more receptive for genre of games that I would have avoided before and I'm sure to find plenty of people wanting to have a round at FIFA at my university :)

jnWake

I'd love to shit on EA because it's fun but the screenshots look very good actually. I'm excited about it now.

Hope it plays well.

EDarkness

Well, you can start playing against the AI in the easiest difficult to learn the controls (like in any sports game), but FIFA is definitely not beginner friendly

I think last year had a comprehensive training mode, so you can try things out.

Vic

I don't really see this happening. Who is going to play that seriously? I mean playing against each other with controllers yes, but with joy con? For a semi serieus football game? Seems impossible to me.
I've actually raised that question earlier. I don't really play FIFA so I don't know how the lack of right analog stick and two shoulder buttons are going to affect the experience for FIFA players.

Okay EA, I admit this actually looks like an actual effort on your part. I'll wait for reviews to see if they spot any glaring omissions or issues (aside from the missing The Journey mode)

I've actually raised that question earlier. I don't really play FIFA so I don't know how the lack of right analog stick and two shoulder buttons are going to affect the experience for FIFA players.

FIFA back in the 90's was a blast. It'll be fine.

That "pube hair" is most likely just somebody's hair shedding. I leave those around all the time cause I shed like a dog and any time I mess around with my hair little pieces fall off.

Now I'm really, really eager to see what NBA2K looks like on Switch. This is surprisingly good-looking. Too bad there aren't any vids or more pictures.

Fularu

Banned
I'm glad I preordered this at 50$ CND. Football on the couch baby while the GF watches the 1248521th rerun of Gilmour Girls

Belker

As you said - and which I agree with - multiplayer and local play is the USP here. Again, I think people will trade fidelty of controls for a social experience.

If I really like FIFA and my friends invite me to play when I hang out with them, I might grumble about a limited control scheme (if it was one) but it wouldn't stop me playing.

I wonder how EA is going to use the FIFA streamers to market this. THey'll have to do loads of in-person events and crossover videos of them screaming and shouting.

EDarkness

As you said - and which I agree with - multiplayer and local play is the USP here. Again, I think people will trade fidelty of controls for a social experience.

If I really like FIFA and my friends invite me to play when I hang out with them, I might grumble about a limited control scheme (if it was one) but it wouldn't stop me playing.

I wonder how EA is going to use the FIFA streamers to market this. THey'll have to do loads of in-person events and crossover videos of them screaming and shouting.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo ends up doing the heavy lifting for this with promotions and the like. Considering that EA hasn't talked about this game at all.

Top Bottom