• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2011 Sales Results [Update 2: Super Street Fighter IV 3D]

AniHawk

goomba said:
I'm
Not surprised at all
As I remember a new gba pokemon was released near the DS launch.

pokemon emerald hit in 2005, but that was the third version game. i mean, who gives a shit about those. pokemon ruby and sapphire hit a full year before the ds launched, before anyone even knew the ds was a 'thing'

goomba

Banned
AniHawk said:
pokemon emerald hit in 2005, but that was the third version game. i mean, who gives a shit about those. pokemon ruby and sapphire hit a full year before the ds launched, before anyone even knew the ds was a 'thing'

Ah ok. Maybe I'm thinking of pokemon gold/silver , how close to gba launch did they come out for gbc ?

goomba said:
Ah ok. Maybe I'm thinking of pokemon gold/silver , how close to gba launch did they come out for gbc ?

They came out about a year before hand in Japan, even more in Eng I think.

White and Black was probably just made for the Japanese market and its needs. They wanted it last year, months before 3DS was on the radar.

3rd version of G5 will probably have a lot more 3DS enhancements (still don't think it will be 3DS only though) and then 3DS only for Ruby/Sapphire remake then G6.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Effect said:
What is wrong with people? These numbers are over 7 days in a non-holiday month. What the hell were people expecting?
Whole lot more.
Pretty much everyone was, including analysts.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
AranhaHunter said:
I think I have the correct order for Top 10 3DS games (no numbers), but I don't know if it's okay to post here or not, maybe I should PM a mod first before I do it.
Just tell me Ghost Recon is top 5.

Either way though sales for the software are probably really low.

_dementia said:
Do the two versions of Pokemon usually display this kind of parity saleswise?

Theyre always different, like SoulSilver hit 2mln last month while Heartgold did not. Further...Pokémon Diamond and Pearl for their first month, Diamond sold 1.045 million copies, and Pearl sold 712,000 (NPD April 2007)

longdi

Banned
No surprises to see 3ds average sales. I predicted that smartphones gaming will dilute Nintendo's market, there is also nothing fancy must-buy about 3DS sub-par touchscreen and specs. Nintendo plans for cheap specs/higher profits launch will not work this time. I think NGP will look more attractive to buyers with its superb specs.

Averon

Effect said:
What is wrong with people? These numbers are over 7 days in a non-holiday month. What the hell were people expecting?

3DS is the successor to the best selling handheld in history. It's not unreasonable for expectations to be much higher than normal. PS3 got hammered for its lackluster sales because, again, expectations on it were very high as it was the successor the PS2.

I'm not seeing any avatars and I'm loving it. Makes this thread that much easier to read. I'd be ok if they did away with them all together.
Wow @ 360 but I'm ready for 720.

eastmen

Banned
Averon said:
3DS is the successor to the best selling handheld in history. It's not unreasonable for expectations to be much higher than normal. PS3 got hammered for its lackluster sales because, again, expectations on it were very high as it was the successor the PS2.

Seems like its off to a great start. $100 more expensive and it sold 440k in 9 days in one of the slowest times of the year for NA sales and with no major nintendo franchises to anchor the system.

By the time the holidays roll around the system will be around 10m or more world wide. I'd wager with some bigger releases spread over the next 8 months or so it may enter the holidays at over 15m world wide.

Zelda oot , paper mario , mario 3d , mario kart and others will push the system fast in ww sales

Gamer98

Banned
Zinga said:
The 360's performance is amazing, truly the everyman's console this generation, funny to think that before its launch everyone thought the PS3 was going to do so well, and we all know how that turned out....

Yup no more year of the PS3 there never was one and never will be one. Now that alot of people have 360 Kinect bundles I expect to see some serious Kinect games at E3 this year.

DR2K

Banned
Gamer98 said:
Yup no more year of the PS3 there never was one and never will be one. Now that alot of people have 360 Kinect bundles I expect to see some serious Kinect games at E3 this year.

US seems to be the only major territory in the world that 360 is outselling the PS3. I'd say PS3 has no chance of catching up with the 360 in the US though, so that's something. Year of PS3 is a silly meme, but this looks to be a major year for it sales wise and software wise.

Serious Kinect games, you mean core games? If so, they'll fail if Wii and Move are any indication.

snackman

Banned
Sony kinda lost it when XBox1 came out Micro had Halo,good graphics machine another problem with PS2 was its graphics which I think still hurt them to now with PS3.

DR2K

Banned
snackman said:
Sony kinda lost it when XBox1 came out Micro had Halo,good graphics machine another problem with PS2 was its graphics which I think still hurt them to now with PS3.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm. Hmm. . .?

Amir0x

Banned
Top ten 3DS games:

1. Street Fighter 3DS
2. Pilotwings Resort
3. Lego Star Wars
4. Rayman
5. Tom Clancy Ghost Recon
6. Super Monkey Ball
7. Nintendogs+Cats G
8. Ridge Racer
9. Steel Diver
10. Nintendogs+Cats F

I guess Nintendogs combined is probably like #4 or #3.

Thank you America for rejecting awful virtual pet crap. Thank you world too. No more will we have to suffer adults pretending to like virtual pets. *salute*

eastmen said:
Seems like its off to a great start. $100 more expensive and it sold 440k in 9 days in one of the slowest times of the year for NA sales and with no major nintendo franchises to anchor the system.

By the time the holidays roll around the system will be around 10m or more world wide. I'd wager with some bigger releases spread over the next 8 months or so it may enter the holidays at over 15m world wide.

Zelda oot , paper mario , mario 3d , mario kart and others will push the system fast in ww sales

Going into the holidays, so by end of October? No way the 3DS has sold 10m WW by then, not with the line-up up till that point and it's OK (not mindblowing) performance in EU, NA and JP.

Trevelyon

Shocked Nintendogs didn't go gangbusters at launch. Wonder if have the exceptionally long legs of the DS version.

Evergreen or crab grass?

Kusagari

I think Nintendogs truly was a fad. It's not like it ever comes close to charting anymore and has legs unlike Mario Kart or NSMB.

antonz

Trevelyon said:
Shocked Nintendogs didn't go gangbusters at launch. Wonder if have the exceptionally long legs of the DS version.

Evergreen or crab grass?
Initial system buyers arent really the type that are gonna propel the series. I anticipate it will have decent legs though especially when NOA decides its time to let NA know the system exists

Anth0ny

Pokemon wrecked shit, as expected. I'm sure that helped spike those DS sales.

Happy to see the two 3DS games I bought at #1 and #2. America has good taste =)

antonz

Amir0x said:
i saw tons of 3DS ads. What do you mean antonz?
I never see anything on TV for the 3DS. When the Wii launched you couldnt sneeze without seeing the 2 Men in their suits offering to play with you. Even the analysts have stated advertising has been nearly non existent

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Top ten 3DS games:

1. Street Fighter 3DS
2. Pilotwings Resort
3. Lego Star Wars
4. Rayman
5. Tom Clancy Ghost Recon
6. Super Monkey Ball
7. Nintendogs+Cats G
8. Ridge Racer
9. Steel Diver
10. Nintendogs+Cats F

I guess Nintendogs combined is probably like #4 or #3.

Thank you America for rejecting awful virtual pet crap. Thank you world too. No more will we have to suffer adults pretending to like virtual pets. *salute*

nintendogs is the sort of thing that sells slowly over time. i wouldn't be so sure about its demise until something like 2038.

on the other hand, it's nice to see ghost recon there considering it's the best launch game, even if it's below the sloppy rayman port. a somewhat good sign for rayman as a franchise though, considering the last retail port was 6 years ago.

Amir0x

Banned
antonz said:
I never see anything on TV for the 3DS. When the Wii launched you couldnt sneeze without seeing the 2 Men in their suits offering to play with you. Even the analysts have stated advertising has been nearly non existent

Really I've seen like thirty billion 3DS ads.

I think difference is this is March launch, so less people are paying attention.

antonz

Amir0x said:
Really I've seen like thirty billion 3DS ads.

I think difference is this is March launch, so less people are paying attention.
Thats very true too. Non Holiday destroyed the buying season for the device. Thats why the French site speculating March 2012 for Wii2 is out of their minds. 3DS guarantees they wont repeat a Non Holiday

Averon

I don't know why Nintendo made the 3DS so similar to the DS. I think that when people see the 3DS, they see another DS revision, like the DSi and DS XL. The differentiating factor, the 3D, isn't readily apparent.

longdi said:
No surprises to see 3ds average sales. I predicted that smartphones gaming will dilute Nintendo's market, there is also nothing fancy must-buy about 3DS sub-par touchscreen and specs. Nintendo plans for cheap specs/higher profits launch will not work this time. I think NGP will look more attractive to buyers with its superb specs.

*looks @ DS sales*

*looks @ Pokemon sales*

*looks at post*

. . . um

midonnay

if nintendogs couldn't sell..... pokemon wouldn't have done much better

they've priced it out of the softwares' target audience.

eastmen

Banned
velvet_nitemare said:
Going into the holidays, so by end of October? No way the 3DS has sold 10m WW by then, not with the line-up up till that point and it's OK (not mindblowing) performance in EU, NA and JP.

I dunno

Its at 844k in japan as of last week i believe.

440k as of april 4th in NA

618k in Europe as of a week ago i believe.

So its at almost 2m world wide already and in 2 regions its only been on sale 3 weeks or so.

If its able to push 1m world wide each month it can sell another 7m and if any titles like zelda or mario kart or what have you push it further 10m is easily possible .

AniHawk

Averon said:
I don't know why Nintendo made the 3DS so similar to the DS. I think that when people see the 3DS, they see another DS revision, like the DSi and DS XL. The differentiating factor, the 3D, isn't readily apparent.
i think the problem was making so many goddamn ds revisions. they should have rode the lite off into the sunset, but they figured sega was onto something in the mid 90s, i guess.

aside from that, there really wasn't much choice for them. think about previous jumps. gb/p/c to gba made them make the system horizontal so they could put shoulder buttons on the thing. then someone either came up with the idea or costs came down enough to make it a clamshell design so it was more in line with previous game boys. the transition from the gba/sp to the ds made it necessary to be both horizontal and clamshell because of the two screens. not too much room for tweaking the look of the machine from ds to 3ds.

Top Bottom