• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_nothin

Banned
VOOK said:
Just thought I would put this here, but here in Australia stores have been finding it impossible to get stock of PS3's like Sony is holding them back make room for something.
lol

Ok guys...its starting to sound like we're ghost hunting or expressing our experiences with alien encounters.

If they are discontinuing the 80GB Playstation 3 models in Japan by August 9th, then the new systems must be releasing really soon. I don't see why Sony would discontinue a product, and not have another one replace it right after. Maybe there will just be a Playstation 3 Slim on the market, and the 80GB Playstation 3's will all be discontinued everywhere.

JoJo13

Banned
lastinline said:
If they are discontinuing the 80GB Playstation 3 models in Japan by August 9th, then the new systems must be releasing really soon. I don't see why Sony would discontinue a product, and not have another one replace it right after. Maybe there will just be a Playstation 3 Slim on the market, and the 80GB Playstation 3's will all be discontinued everywhere.

August 9th is awfully close to August 14th, the release of Madden...

Cowie

mr_nothin said:
lol

Ok guys...its starting to sound like we're ghost hunting or expressing our experiences with alien encounters.

Well in fairness, it does coincide with reports that sony has been cutting off or at least slowing the supply of ps3s to retailers

Still, anecdotal musings, etc.

VOOK said:
Just thought I would put this here, but here in Australia stores have been finding it impossible to get stock of PS3's like Sony is holding them back make room for something.
Hopefully they roll these out soon with a price cut. I can't believe it's taken this long and PS3s still aren't sub-$500.

MGR

mr_nothin said:
lol

Perhaps, but I can also vouch for Vooks claim. Getting stock of PS3's is very hard work ATM.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Hopefully they roll these out soon with a price cut. I can't believe it's taken this long and PS3s still aren't sub-$500.

I can, stand alone Bluray players are still $500 minimum. They may as well milk it while they can. The market here allows for the +$500 price.

mr_nothin

Banned
MGR said:
Perhaps, but I can also vouch for Vooks claim. Getting stock of PS3's is very hard work ATM.
Cowie said:
Well in fairness, it does coincide with reports that sony has been cutting off or at least slowing the supply of ps3s to retailers

Still, anecdotal musings, etc.
Im not saying anything is fake or anything like that. It's just when 1 person in the bar tells about their experience...all others follow with a "HEY...I had something like that happen to me too!" and then go on to explain. It's just sounding like a "sighting" forum :p

Cowie

mr_nothin said:
Im not saying anything is fake or anything like that. It's just when 1 person in the bar tells about their experience...all others follow with a "HEY...I had something like that happen to me too!" and then go on to explain. It's just sounding like a "sighting" forum :p

I wasn't assuming you thought he was faking it or anything, or even trying to disprove your point really. Just saying that, while it is just one person's report from a small sample of stores, there's some merit to it. But yeah, No need for everyone else to chip in on that.

MGR

VOOK said:
It used to be worse

Yep. When the PS3 launched in 2007 it was $999AUS (~$810USD).

To be fair the Australian price includes the nation wide tax rate of 10%. The US price you have to add anything up to 13% VAT to get the actual price.

inner-G

Banned
Loudninja said:
Yeah I know wasn't it like $1000? NZ had it worst didn't they.

WTFITS.jpg

Do they always have higher prices because of inflation or something, or is that the equivalent of the cost in USD?

VOOK

Loudninja said:
Yeah I know wasn't it like $1000? NZ had it worst didn't they.

Came out at $999AU which back in the day when the dollar was bacl the way it was about 850US dollars.

Cheap huh?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jakncoke said:
How much is the 160 gb in Japan?

It was expensive... can't remember the exact price...
Going for 108,000 yen on amazon.jp right now though cause they're rare? I guess. No idea what actual shops are selling it for now.

KillJade

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
80GB Killzone 2 Bundle - $700

I remember during a sale, I saw one for $600 and thinking it was a bargain.

That's because we're a bunch of suckers >:-(

I feel for you. Right now, here in Canada, I believe Wal-Mart is selling a package of an 80GB PS3, with Uncharted, Killzone 2 and LittleBigPlanet for $499.99.

Seems like a stock clearance move though, to clear the shelves and make space for something else down the line. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Sony has a $299.99 PS3 on store shelves by Christmas. I know that's a huge jump, but honestly, the console has been out for a substantial amount of time now, it really should be at a more mass market price point by now.

Or include a game, an HDMI cable and a headset, get backwards compatibility back in there, and make it $349.99, and you're set.

That's how I look at it anyway.

DXPetti

Banned
VOOK said:
Came out at $999AU which back in the day when the dollar was bacl the way it was about 850US dollars.

Cheap huh?

And yet Michael Ephraim (SCEAus) has the balls to say its party because of the weak AUS dollar that we pay a arm and a leg. What a load

VOOK

DXPetti said:
And yet Michael Ephraim (SCEAus) has the balls to say its party because of the weak AUS dollar that we pay a arm and a leg. What a load

That's Ephraim for you, spitting out bullshit.

MGR

DXPetti said:

VOOK said:

In his defence, it's not his job to decide the price. He just has to defend it.

Rather him than me.

Grooski

Banned
VOOK said:

Don't be like that - he's not a bad bloke. He often gets hamstrung by what Sony PR demands he rolls out.

As for us being shafted, launch prices here in Oz have always been high but dropped quickly. Early adopters get slammed thats for sure.

Playstation 1 launch price 1995 = AU$699 dropped to $199 in 1997
Playstation 2 launch price 2000 = AU$749 dropped to $399 in 2002
Playstation 3 launch price 2007 = AU$999 dropped to $699 in 2008

BenjaminG

Banned
SCE have no 80gb stock left and haven't for about 4 weeks. As far as I know, no stores in Tasmania have any 80 GB's left.

New shipment date? TBC.

However, they swear black and blue there is no 'slim' forthcoming. I find this very hard to believe.

BenjaminG

Banned
Grooski said:
As for us being shafted, launch prices here in Oz have always been high but dropped quickly. Early adopters get slammed thats for sure.
Playstation 3 launch price 2007 = AU$999 dropped to $699 in 2008

To be fair, the 40gb was the catalyst for the price drop, not a price drop on the pre-existing 60gb version. Two years on, I still take weekly phone calls wanting to know if we have any 60gb's in stock, and if not, why not. Sigh.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BenjaminG said:
SCE have no 80gb stock left and haven't for about 4 weeks. As far as I know, no stores in Tasmania have any 80 GB's left.

New shipment date? TBC.

However, they swear black and blue there is no 'slim' forthcoming. I find this very hard to believe.

They'll deny it up until the very end.

Grooski

Banned
BenjaminG said:

New shipment date? TBC.

Several Brisbane EB's are saying the same. " We've been told it's just a SKU change" is the official spin. A manager I know is saying that a large amount of Sony marketing material is incoming and they have to shift around Sony stuff to high visibility areas.

BenjaminG said:

New shipment date? TBC.

Haha I'm also from Tasmania.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Grooski said:
Several Brisbane EB's are saying the same. " We've been told it's just a SKU change" is the official spin. A manager I know is saying that a large amount of Sony marketing material is incoming and they have to shift around Sony stuff to high visibility areas.

You mean after they moved all the wii stuff to the front of the store?

VOOK

BenjaminG said:
To be fair, the 40gb was the catalyst for the price drop, not a price drop on the pre-existing 60gb version. Two years on, I still take weekly phone calls wanting to know if we have any 60gb's in stock, and if not, why not. Sigh.

Yeah and we lost the bloody PS2 backwards compatibility. If I had known that I would have of spent the $1000 instead of $600 on a gimped PS3.

Grooski

Banned
Kagari said:
You mean after they moved all the wii stuff to the front of the store?

Here in Oz, the front half of every store is Wii and DS. That Sony is being moved from the back corner near the old GBA used titles means something is going on. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Grooski said:
Here in Oz, the front half of every store is Wii and DS. That Sony is being moved from the back corner near the old GBA used titles means something is going on. :lol

Maybe SCE paid them. At least that's what I heard Nintendo did with retailers, at least here in the US.

lupinko

jakncoke said:
How much is the 160 gb in Japan?

IIRC the only 160GB PS3 sku in Japan should be the FFVIIACC BD movie/FFXIII demo bundle.

Everything else has been 80GB, 60GB, 40GB, and 20GB skus.

And Japan is the only market to never see the 80GB sku with GS semiconductors (i.e. PS2 BC).

That sku did appear in NTSCJ markets like South Korea, (and I think Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. but only am I sure with South Korea since that is the motherboard that launched there first). Bah, I'm done rambling about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom