• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch at 4.7 million | ARMS: 1.18 Million, Zelda: 3.92M, Mario Kart 3.54M

Zedark

ARMS breaking 1.1 million a month after release pretty much means we'll get an ARMS 2 at some point, methinks
You can bank on that, yeah. With a year of updates ahead, I think it will reach my projecten 3 million minimum, maybe 4 million at some point.

It's going to be funny how these posts will keep getting longer and longer. Soon it will be:

There's only really Zelda, MK8, Arms, Splatoon, Rabbids, and Mario Odyssey to play on the thing.

What kind of output do people expect in the first year?

The output isn’t my point. My point is people being surprised that Zelda has a high attach rate when until MK8 came out, what other retail game would you buy if you were buying a Switch?

It’s fairly obvious that if there are close to 5 million consoles out there and not many retail games released, then the few games they are available at retail will have a high attach rate.

Consoles like the PS4 were different because they had like 14-20 retail games at launch which diluted the attach rate of individual games.

LotusHD

Banned
It's going to be funny how these posts will keep getting longer and longer. Soon it will be:

There's only really Zelda, MK8, Arms, Splatoon, Rabbids, and Mario Odyssey to play on the thing.

What kind of output do people expect in the first year?

Switch owners' thirst is never quenched dude

---

Damn I just realized ARMS broke a million by June 30, that's even more impressive

ksamedi

ARMS sales is very inpressive. I still see it charting on amazon charts everywhere so continued sales as well even more than a month after its release. I thought 2 million was doable but 3 million is not out of reach with the holiday sales and huge sales momentum of the Switch. I think it sets up the stage for a bigger production sequal which could move the IP into 5 million plus territory.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Care to point out where I’m wrong?
The attach rate seems really good, whatever the games. That's more than 3 games after 4 months, with Splatoon 2 it will be closed to 4 games after 5 months.

Isn't it an excellent start from an attach rate point of view?

wrowa

They're entirely different genres. ARMS will continue to sell as long as it gets the content. So will Splatoon 2.

I don't think genre really matters as much as some people believe, especially in ARMS case as fighting games need to successfully appeal to people outside of that fighting game bubble if they want to find success.

The bit where you arbitrarily exclude a lot of games for being "indies."

Yeah cause I’m sure there are millions of people rushing out to buy a Switch to play the latest indie game?

Indie games are nice to have on a console but the majority of people aren’t buying the console for them.

Guymelef

13.6M total softeare
-3.92M Zelda
-3.54M MK8
-1.22 1-2 Switch.
-1.18M ARMS

That's ~ 3-3.5M of third party software for 4.7M consoles.

Not really good this part...

oti

Banned
13.6M total softeare
-3.92M Zelda
-3.54M MK8
-1.22 1-2 Switch.
-1.18M ARMS

Third party software like... Skylanders and Just Dance?

The real test here will ne Skyrim and FIFA.

Roo

And I've been arguing with people saying ARMS would do 1-2m LTD.

As in Life. To. Date.

No way Nintendo would promote it that much unless they expected at least 3m, and in my opinion 4m. (I expected Splatoon 1 numbers so we'll see)
Those numbers are as of June 30, barely 2 weeks after launch so I think it's a safe bet the game is around 2 million (or even higher) by now.

It'll be interesting to see how the game does when everything is said and done. Hopefully it does reach original Splatoon numbers but if it doesn't it still will be a big success for Nintendo anyway.

HeroR

Yeah, that's the thing with ARMS. Even if Splatoon doesn't kill its userbase, it likely has a very negative effect on ARMS continued sales. Someone who wants to pick up a competetive multiplayer game has to decide between ARMS and Splatoon and, well, Splatoon is frankly an easier sell for a quite a few reasons. Kinda baffling to me that Nintendo released these games so close to each other.

Still, nice to see it broke a million.

ARMS and Splatoon are two different games. One if a team shooter and the other is a fighter game. That is like saying Overwatch takes sells away from Street Fighter.

Mediking

13.6M total softeare
-3.92M Zelda
-3.54M MK8
-1.22 1-2 Switch.
-1.18M ARMS

3rd party games that makes sense on Switch will sell well.

Mario Rabbids will sell over a million.

13.6M total softeare
-3.92M Zelda
-3.54M MK8
-1.22 1-2 Switch.
-1.18M ARMS

Nintendo has never been the third party destination. But, the Switch seems better than the last two generations they've put out.

casiopao

Yeah cause I’m sure there are millions of people rushing out to buy a Switch to play the latest indie game?

Indie games are nice to have on a console but the majority of people aren’t buying the console for them.

??? We are not talking about system seller but title to buy when u already have a Switch. Zelda, Splatoon and MK8DX is system seller but after a person own a Switch all game whether it is indies or not, is a game which can be attractive toward Switch owners.

wrowa

Nintendo is listing Pokémon RPG as "2018 or later" while Metroid Prime 4 is "TBA". Interesting distinction.
That's just echoing their E3 announcements, though. They said Pokemon still needs "more than a year" (so, 2018 or later) and in Metroid's case they didn't say anything regarding a date (TBA).

ksamedi

There are loads of 100k plus sellers on Switxh. Smaller downloadable multiplayer games are definitely part of the appeal of the Switch.

arms did well for a new ip. i fully expect it to sell pretty well in the long run.

switch clearly has a supply problem but 4.7 million in 6 month isnt bad if you take into account that holiday season is around the corner
13.6M total softeare
-3.92M Zelda
-3.54M MK8
-1.22 1-2 Switch.
-1.18M ARMS

what notable third party software was released? i love bomberman and tetris but those arent systemsellers

Mory Dunz

13.6M total softeare
-3.92M Zelda
-3.54M MK8
-1.22 1-2 Switch.
-1.18M ARMS

not great. But also not many notable games. Bomberman takes a big chunk.

But when the games are mostly indies and games like Disgaea, they might very well be pleased with their numbers.

If the situation looks the same a year from now after Sonic, Fifa, NBA, Sonic, MH, DQ11, etc then it'll be worrying

Flarin

Wow at Zelda! Almosts a 1:1 attach rate. Insane. I haven't played ARMS, but happy to see it selling well. I imagine Splatoon 2 will give Zelda a run for its money by year's end.

Kindekuma

Banned
Nintendo is listing Pokémon RPG as "2018 or later" while Metroid Prime 4 is "TBA". Interesting distinction.

Pokemon Switch probably neck deep in development but not at a current state to show off whereas MP4 got green-lit as a title and confirmed that development is starting.

Why are people still shocked that Zelda and MK8 have a high attach rate?

Outside of indies there is only really Zelda, MK8, ARMS and Splatoon to play on the thing.

If you're only playing exclusives maybe? But I have Bomberman, Cave Story, and Disgaea as well. I'd also have Puyo Tetris if they actually included Japanese voices.

Anyway. Good on Nintendo. I wanna see all of the console manufacturers do fairly solid tbh.

Majora

I don't understand how ARMS has sold that much given the figures we know.

For June NPD it sold about 250k including digital.

Japan physical was around 150k last time I checked?

UK it sold less than 15k in June. France it debuted at number 1 but quickly slipped below Zelda and MK8. Germany it didn't set the charts alight.

Where are all these extra copies coming from to get over a million in two weeks?

Oregano

13.6M total softeare
-3.92M Zelda
-3.54M MK8
-1.22 1-2 Switch.
-1.18M ARMS

Oh shit all those bomba big third party games like ummmm and uhhh.... I've got nothing.

wrowa

ARMS and Splatoon are two different games. One if a team shooter and the other is a fighter game. That is like saying Overwatch takes sells away from Street Fighter.

Street Fighter is kind of a bad example as SFV completely failed to make a dent outside of that fighting game bubble.

Neonep

The mainline Pokemon game that hits the Switch will crush all these games real quick. Nintendo has to really fix these supply constraints, it's holding them back...

Mory Dunz

I don't understand how ARMS has sold that much given the figures we know.

For June NPD it sold about 250k including digital.

Japan physical was around 150k last time I checked?

UK it sold less than 15k in June. France it debuted at number 1 but quickly slipped below Zelda and MK8. Germany it didn't set the charts alight.

Where are all these extra copies coming from to get over a million in two weeks?

Austrailia

Top Bottom