• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U clock speeds are found by marcan

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Backwards compatibility is a non-issue if you reuse parts of your former hardware.
But I don't understand why Nintendo lowered the clock speed, and hence, the wattage of their CPU so much. Something is wrong.

Probably to avoid overheating, I'd guess.

Out of curiosity, does the CPU being OoO compensate the processing speed disparity?

And... iirc, isn't WiiU development GPU centric?

I think it is, yes. I guess that kinda contributes to the half-baked launch ports, as the PS3 and 360 (at least the PS3) are very CPU-centric.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ITT: people that don't understand clock speed isn't as an important factor in modern cpu/gpu architecture

According to them it's basically the same CPU core as Wii's. We're not looking at some super up-to-the minute x86 core or something.

Basically 3 Wii cores that are 70% faster and with more cache. That's it. Apparently.

I think this is far worse than anyone had speculated. I think most were thinking something in the 2.x Ghz range with something more upgraded from Broadway than just cache size.

pants

The Cell and Xenon are also PPC based correct?
What are the respective clockspeeds of the PS3, 360 and Wii?

Biggzy

Backwards compatibility is a non-issue if you reuse parts of your former hardware.
But I don't understand why Nintendo lowered the clock speed, and hence, the wattage of their CPU so much. Something is wrong.

To keep it quiet and frugal with its power consumption.

According to them it's basically the same CPU core as Wii's. We're not looking at some super up-to-the minute x86 core or something.

Basically 3 Wii cores that are 70% faster and with more cache. That's it. Apparently.

I think this is far worse than anyone had speculated. I think most were thinking something in the 2.x Ghz range with something more upgraded from Broadway than just cache size.
And the Wii's CPU was pretty much the same as the Gamecubes's CPU was it not?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Honestly speechless at the CPU clock. We knew it was not good, but THAT bad? Fucking hell Nintendo. What the fuck have you done!? Smaller less power hungry box be damned, you have to work really fucking hard to make a piece of crap like this in 2012!

kinggroin

Banned
Right now it is only GPU that hold system together somewhat above current gen

I'm still trying to figure out how ubisoft managed to get Assassins Creed 3 running as well as it did on something that seems to be significantly less powerful than its peers.

I always thought that game was heavily CPU limited

DarkPanda

Very strange numbers, especially since the CPU speed doesn't seem to be a nice multiple of the Wii's CPU. The Wii's CPU speed was such that they could simply underclock it by 50% and *bam*, instant Gamecube. I thought they were doing something similar with the Wii U, but if this is true it doesn't seem that way now.

I know next to nothing about hardware and even I can see the CPU is an absolute disaster. What the hell Nintendo, what the hell.
They did what they always do, made the system they wanted to make games for...3rd party be damned :(

On the bright side Nintendo games are still going to be goddamn gorgeous if Nintendoland is any indication. It's a shame we'll likely never see parity with 360/PS3 ports though. That said I can live with what games that are developed for the system ground up are likely to look like.

Madao

itbegins.gif

Also, the irony of the possibility of Wii U being hacked before 3DS. Either Wii U is that easy or 3DS is that hard. I don't really know which right now.

this could be a glimpse of Nintendo's priorities with their consoles based on how they sell in the homeland. 3DS is guaranteed to have much better sales than Wii U in japan and all their decisions are made with japan first in mind.

why blow so much money on a console that's not gonna beat your handheld in sales? better to spend the better resources on the more popular system.

Obviously not causing that much of an issue since end of gen ports did run; some of them very badly but others reasonably well.

Basing this on the final output than what goes on along the way; but the final product is not half way between Wii and 360 so personally this all seems to just be some specs up front.

Very strange numbers, especially since the CPU speed doesn't seem to be a nice multiple of the Wii's CPU. The Wii's CPU speed was such that they could simply underclock it by 50% and *bam*, instant Gamecube. I thought they were doing something similar with the Wii U, but if this is true it doesn't seem that way now.

Just a quick query but how are these speed tests run?
Ripping the parts up or running proprietary software on the WiiU?

"we're calling the WiiU security processor the Starbuck (vs. Starlet on Wii). And it seems to be about equally vulnerable, too"

Did they got back to lowercase encryption keys again? lol

I remember when I thought the WiiU would be at least a middle ground until next gen. Oh how I wish that was true now.

Still excited about getting mine tomorrow, but the lackluster hardware is daft.

Perkel

Banned
So, obviously, 1.25Ghz doesn't have the same significance as a 1.25Ghz CPU on a PC as you could never play AC3 and the like with that. So what's the difference that allows it to run faster and what is it's nearest PC equivalent?

GPU. It's 2008 mid tier to low card which is vastly better what is inside X360 or PS3. Modern architecture is other thing. Still this is mayor bottleneck if developers want to do something more than current gen.

Haunted

we're calling the WiiU security processor the Starbuck (vs. Starlet on Wii). And it seems to be about equally vulnerable, too
oh my

Not gonna lie, homebrew improved the Wii about tenfold, looking forward to what can be done with the WiiU.

wrowa

Has there been a single positive hardware leak so far? Honest question, so far everything seems to disappoint even modest expectations.

I still don't understand why the Wii U is being sold at a loss. Everything sounds like it's dirt cheap to produce. Even the GamePad is hardly a marvelous piece of high end hardware...

LeleSocho

Banned
Guys remember that clock speed ≠ power of the console, in the end the cpu will be most probably slower than ps360 but not as slow as difference of the clock speed.

boy oh boy nintendo really is cheap as hell though, developers have all the rights to complain... releasing hardware in 2012 that is in some way slower than than 360 that is freaking 7 years old is a joke.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I remember when Yamauchi and Miyamoto spoke at length against load times. Jesus Christ.

Iwata has talked about it as well.

I still don't understand why the Wii U is being sold at a loss. Everything sounds like it's dirt cheap to produce. Even the GamePad is hardly a marvelous piece of high end hardware...

Well if they consider All R&D costs + Marketing costs + Production Costs/number of units produce = cost per unit it could be easier to see how the WiiU is sold at a loss.

ffdgh

.....I'll withhold the comments on the cpu but they hacked it already? :O

l hope they keep it to themselves for a while. lol

it's fucking black magic we've got Batman, Bops 2 and other games running so well at resolutions similar to the other consoles.

Scratch performance issues, rename that thread to BEST PORTS OF ALL TIME

Sushigod7

I don't understand how current PS3/360 games are running on the Wii U then? Any reason for this guy to exaggerate or is he legit? Never looked into hacking my Wii and I won't hack my Wii U either but gees that is pretty horrible.

flattie

Small form factor the most I think, it's pretty recurrent discussion in Iwata Asks.

I'd toss price into that as well. Sony managed to squeeze the PS3 into the super slim chassis, as well as an internal PSU, and there isn't much between the two consoles in terms of size.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Can you link to any post on that thread that shows irrelevance of the speed of the CPU?

A whole lot of "GPGPU and eDRAM will drag the whole thing up by its coat-tails!". But there shouldnt be any dragging necessary! All that dragging almost ensures the thing will never get beyond maybe 1.25 of current gen and even that feels generous. Why scrimp this much, a slightly bigger box would have affected nothing at all. If Japanese families wanted to play Mario, they were always going to buy the Mario box.

ekim

Devs can fully use every bit of a CPU in a fixed environment and use low level optimizations which are not possible on pc due to the different CPUs/architectures out there. (well they are possible on pc but on a console you can do even more)

Coolwhip

Banned
My pentium had more herz than that!

^that's about the extend of replies. I have no clue either though, but I don't claim to.

Any actual techheads with an opinion?

Is that why the UI supposedly runs like ass? CPU is just struggling on it?

The UI is not chocking the CPU. My own theory is the network is gimped; seems to be the system is just recontacting the Nintendo Network for every new app and almost relogging you for everything you want to access.

Thats my guess anyway; the fucking 3DS loads apps quicker so I don't buy any other reasoning whilst the Wii U eshop appears to load as quickly as any other service.

They better update it though; am hoping its because this is still 'stand in' OS and the network will be much more integrated in future. Which should happen as NSMB/Land are connecting to the Miiverse on load; then reconnecting when you want to post.

Which seems an unnatural way for them to run.

A whole lot of "GPGPU and eDRAM will drag the whole thing up by its coat-tails!". But there shouldnt be any dragging necessary! All that dragging almost ensures the thing will never get beyond maybe 1.25 of current gen and even that feels generous. Why scrimp this much, a slightly bigger box would have affected nothing at all. If Japanese families wanted to play Mario, they were always going to buy the Mario box.

Firstly your last sentence is just fucking stupid for many reasons - you know that.

Secondly your right. Nintendo has built the machine around itself. For them we'll see that extra power being used; but I doubt it will be by third parties unless they randomly have a franchise become a hit on the device.

Who knows what will happen but based on last gen the support won't come. Not anything new though with Nintendo hardware.
Current COD engine might get adapted around it; but beyond that I can't see much.

Least Nintendo is actively pursuing a second party strategy though. Thats quite important.

Sanctuary

I'm not sure why anyone here should be suprised by this new info. I know I'm not that suprised (but holy hell is that a fucking slow CPU), after all of the slowdown hiccups, and the notoriously awful loading times with ZombieU, on top of all of the widespread, hard system lockup reports for many games. When it's coming from that many different games, it's more likely a problem with the system itself.

longdi

Banned
both the cpu and gpu sounds horribly slow. mobile phones and tablets next year may surpass it.

even if the gpu is more modern than ps3/xbox, it still has to account for the dual screen output.

i hope sony and ms dont do gimmicks and dont be so cheapo, pls give us really powerful really real next gen consoles.

Top Bottom