• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So about that other site...

Status
Not open for further replies.

luxsol

A few other forums were created just as fast during that time.

The one OP's is taking about is just the one that got popular because they lied about all your favorite mods being there, which made people think it was going to be GAF3, thus being the most popular one.

I think the only mod that openly vetted for it quickly posted that he wasn't actually associated with the site.

I think it started as a collective effort of lots of neogaf members (some of whom are pretty knowledgeable about this).

No (old) mods here are mods over at that site and some of the admins are pretty transparent about who they are (like Emily Rogers).

It gained traction fast because most current posters and communities here shifted over to that site.

So yeah add me to the list of not seeing what's so fishy about this. What are you hinting towards anyway? A gaf conspiracy theory?

Dunki

I think it started as a collective effort of lots of neogaf members (some of whom are pretty knowledgeable about this).

No (old) mods here are mods over at that site and some of the admins are pretty transparent about who they are (like Emily Rogers).

It gained traction fast because most current posters and communities here shifted over to that site.

So yeah add me to the list of not seeing what's so fishy about this. What are you hinting towards anyway? A gaf conspiracy theory?

The only strange thing is that they did not care about it all all after the first accusations or posts from him back in the day. There you even had a statement from him and no one really cared.

The only strange thing is that they did not care about it all all after the first accusations or posts from him back in the day. There you even had a statement from him and no one really cared.

Or they cared, just not enough to leave until there was a viable alternative. I don't think so many would have left if reset hadn't become a thing. I don't think it was just over one thing, there was a lot of resentment that had built up.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Most of the people don't care, they just want to talk about games and life. If everyone they do it with goes somewhere else, they will follow.

Exactly. People aren’t beholden to a certain site or URL, it’s about the discussions and overall activity of the community. It’s so strange to assume any form of loyalty to a site’s owner/URL over the entire community that you actually interact with.

When GAF got nuked people basically said ‘well, we’ll just make our own forum (with blackjack and hookers)’ and that’s exactly what happened.

Guess I must have imagined all those angry account suicides calling out evilore then. I'm sure a lot of people that followed the exodus didn't care but they weren't the ones that got the snowball rolling.

JP

I'm not seeing anything insidious about how quickly the other site showed up, I know that I'm oversimplifying things but these days you can pretty pay a fee and press a button to create the physical forum.

Again, I know it's not that simple and obviously there is stuff going on in the background that people have to work on but it dies seem a lot simpler than it used to be.

Personally, I think it's a positive that threads are far "cleaner" than they used to be and it will become more active over time and I'm sure work will be done to that end but I also think that it's important that there's a certain level of "naturalness" in how it builds up again, that it grows naturally.

In a way it would be great to have eight billion members but I'm sure most of us would agree that if only 1000 of those members were far more positive and contributing members then you don't really need eight billion people doing drive-by posts and just making stuff up.

I'm sure it will grow and in part, it will be the content and the contributing members that do that. I suppose that as a community, in many ways it's actually down to us as just members to make other people want to contribute here.

It's also worth remembering that before it all went to hell that there had already been ongoing talk of a modernisation of the technology that the forum was built on. Hopefully a fresh start will be the ideal time for changes to happen now that there's essentially been a clear out here.

Reset as it is now is impressive, gaming side is alive and off topic isn't just full of negativity that old gaf was.I assume all the resist members have gone back to r/politics.
Both websites have good approaches to balance.

off topic isn't just full of negativity that old gaf was.
Oh it'll get there. There's already signs of moderator power tripping, which is a problem that GAF had for years.
And some of the mods are the worst GAF members we've ever had.

Staying far, far away from that site.

numble

Again, another reason that whole crowd is fucked. Did you guys even know what you were reacting to, and if so, did you have enough evidence to rightly do so? You didn't, and a bunch of people were displaced for a political martyrdom that I'm sure most weren't even on board with. That's nothing to be proud of
Many posters reacted to the fact that the OT was nuked with a silly explanation and asked people to spend hours Googling their old posts to bring them back. It really discourages posters from spending time on their posts if they can just be removed for no reason. The Mods and admin ignored explaining the decisions and this new mod still says they will not explain it, just to say it was “necessary” even though they reversed the decision because of a backlash and in response to a petition. Why spend time trying to “rebuild” the forum to its past glory if the owners show no respect for the past content to begin with or are not transparent about forum decisions?

Usobuko

Banned
When you behave like a tyrant, it will inevitably cost people to revolt.

It wasn't an isolated incident, it's something cumulative over the years.

Not going to get into the moral issue of this because people are typically scum so it's not surprising how it unfold.

Humanity is as trash as nerd culture.

numble

No it won't - otherwise it will be locked.

Gentle reminder
just because the mods are not actively participating in discussion anymore doesn't mean threads aren't being watched...

Aside from the recent trolls and/or inflammatory posters, we believe the people left can discuss this topic is a mature way.

Can you please leave out any of the alleged details as they should not be discussed due to any potential legal ramifications in the background. Certain decisions were made with regards to the site that were necessary and the reasons will not be made public. Rest assured, they were not taken lightly but were necessary.

Where you see damage, try to see opportunity. Much of GAF is great, we hope to restore some balance back to discussions and topics and allow debates and arguments to develop organically - provided they are done in a polite and respectful manner.

Going forward, we hope to see the quality of the discourse improve over time. There are enough members here, with a wealth of knowledge and creativity to rebuild the direction and tone of the site going forward.

With regards to the software upgrades, we'd love to be able to just disregard the entire history of the site and not migrate it. However, there are technical challenges when migrating a large database cross platform with minimal downtime. We trust common sense will prevail when considering this, but the upgrades are now imminent.

Over to you ;)

Re: Forum avatars we are looking into. There does seem to be a inconsistent issue which is proving difficult to track down.
I see your name references the Constitution. Are you a lawyer? I don’t think a mature discussion can be had if you steer the discussion by making a false claim about the legal ramifications of certain discussion. You can just revise the TOS to ban the discussion and then say you will ban certain discussion because it violates the TOS. But there are no legal ramifications of discussing allegations publicly made and discussed in th news media already.

pants

And last, but not least, what on earth is "fishy" about online forums?
People's motivation for leaving at that point is fishy. There were tons of other incidents the former staff glossed over, stuff that landed people in prison for example (sentencing pending) and an accusation is the fuel that lead them to bail?

OrionFalls

I see your name references the Constitution. Are you a lawyer? I don’t think a mature discussion can be had if you steer the discussion by making a false claim about the legal ramifications of certain discussion. You can just revise the TOS to ban the discussion and then say you will ban certain discussion because it violates the TOS. But there are no legal ramifications of discussing allegations publicly made and discussed in th news media already.
Libel.

Look it up, specs.

Blam

I don't see how it's fishy or anything even close to that. You're just being paranoid.

There's nothing fishy at all on the other site.

Dunki

I don't see how it's fishy or anything even close to that. You're just being paranoid.

There's nothing fishy at all on the other site.

Thats how the internet is these days. Everything has a reason everything is a conspiracy. Everyone who does not agree with me is a Nazi. And so on.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member

Laws exist to balance the freedom of expression and the protection of reputation. Whether you're aware of them or not. You have no sight of anything that was posted during this time so I'd suggest you trust to those who can actually see the data.

numble

Laws exist to balance the freedom of expression and the protection of reputation. Whether you're aware of them or not. You have no sight of anything that was posted during this time so I'd suggest you trust to those who can actually see the data.
I am talking about the false claim that people should not discuss the published allegations in this thread due to legal ramifications. As a lawyer, I am not aware of any legal ramifications of such discussion, but please let me know which ones you are referring to. Are you saying that any discussion will be deleted so I have no sight of it and cannot judge whether there are legal ramifications for keeping a post up? I think it is okay to question the legal claims of moderation as it was a claimed legal protection of privacy that led to nuking of the OT in the first place, which has since been reversed (does the reversal of the decision means that posters’ privacy rights are now violated?)

I am talking about the false claim that people should not discuss the published allegations in this thread due to legal ramifications. As a lawyer, I am not aware of any legal ramifications of such discussion, but please let me know which ones you are referring to. Are you saying that any discussion will be deleted so I have no sight of it and cannot judge whether there are legal ramifications for keeping a post up? I think it is okay to question the legal claims of moderation as it was a claimed legal protection of privacy that led to nuking of the OT in the first place, which has since been reversed (does the reversal of the decision means that posters’ privacy rights are now violated?)

Are you a Sea lawyer?

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member

I am talking about any allegations made frivolously, of which there are numerous - and which you do not have access to see. I don't really know what direction the rest of your post is going. You seem to be trying to instigate an argument, yet arguing from a point of ignorance. Take the comment as you see fit from here..

BANGS

Banned
It is libel to help spread false allegations.

It's libel to report on what someone else has accused someone of? That's weird, doesn't seem right...

I mean I could see if you were ALSO accusing and jumping on a bandwagon, but simply reporting what someone else accused someone else of seems harmless...

highrider

Banned
Hey I hope they find what they are after with that forum. The exodus here was comical to me, like a bunch of petulant toddlers screaming for someone to recognize them. Hard for me to have any respect for them.

numble

I am talking about any allegations made frivolously, of which there are numerous - and which you do not have access to see. I don't really know what direction the rest of your post is going. You seem to be trying to instigate an argument, yet arguing from a point of ignorance. Take the comment as you see fit from here..

First off, the discussion is about the claim to not talk about the allegations due to legal ramifications, not about making any new allegations.

If for instance, we wanted to discuss the allegations as reported on Polygon, Kotaku or Vice, or any number of media outlets that have specifically stated that they cleared their reporting with legal counsel, there should be no legal ramifications and mature discussion should be allowed, unless it violates the TOS, right?

I am not arguing from a point of ignorance, as the focus is on the law and legal ramifications, and the law seems to be clear.

I am not talking about past posts that have been deleted, I am talking prospectively about future posts, what they can and cannot discuss without the fear of legal ramifications .

Hey I hope they find what they are after with that forum. The exodus here was comical to me, like a bunch of petulant toddlers screaming for someone to recognize them. Hard for me to have any respect for them.

The vast majority left quietly, and to be with the communities they followed. It was a minority that left loudly and a minority of those posted offensive images that did or didn't end up at the other place.

Your memory fails you.

llien

I'm sorry, are you arguing that banning discussion of events that led to shitstorm and partial exodus is a legal necessity?

I actually understand, why one would want to avoid such discussions (at least for now), but... that has nothing to do with any legal complications.

Or do you mean that the accused is constrained in what details he can reveal?

I think it’s funny a forum they threw together overnight has more functionality than NeoGAF has ever had

But it wasn't thrown together overnight, it's a software package used for lots of other communities.

Some dudes spun up a server, made some modifications and set up DBs etc. The software was someone else's work

highrider

Banned
The vast majority left quietly, and to be with the communities they followed. It was a minority that left loudly and a minority of those posted offensive images that did or didn't end up at the other place.

Your memory fails you.

I would want to disassociate from that as well, and I’m sure there are plenty in the silent majority that made no grandiose demonstrations of their virtue, but most of the prominent ones that lived on GAF 24/7 are pretty much the nucleus of the new forum. This isn’t really about memory, it’s an interpretation of events that we see differently.

No conspiracy at all. GAF shut down, shit hit the fan and groups that were already on discord worked around the clock to put up something they all agreed on. The only issue I have with what happened was the account suicides that had pictures or videos that were NSFW. People are allowed to do what they want but do it respectfully.

MC Safety

I completely agree with you. The high volume of posts was impressive, but a lot of it was one liners, .gifs and memes. There were a lot of inside jokes in posts like "This is NeoGAF...." that were endearing, but didn't add any substance.

While it would be nice to see more people contributing, I don't miss these types of posts.

I don't miss them, either. I hope they took the hilarious $30 Italian meal with them.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
That "other forum" is amazing. No, not because I like posting there (i don't even have an account), but it is and endless circus of entertainment. I laugh at them daily.

Aurongel

The current OT here has threads that were last updated a full day ago in the front page of the OT.

You do the math.

I'm happy for those guys, seriously. There's already plenty of moderation power tripping and people getting banned for "extreme mansplaining" is just fucking stupid, but if that's how they like, that's fine. Personally I left GAF for a while because I couldn't stand the way too strict moderation mixed with overreactive hyperbolic crowd. GAF has been obviously slower since the split, but it feels more relaxed. I like it.

JP

There are still a lot of members signing in and reading threads here though, I've been posting more than I usually do to try and get others posting again. When I posted the Shadow of the Colossus it had 200 views in a couple of minutes so it but obviously the forum, understandably, doesn't bump threads unless people post in them.

EDIT:
You only have to look at the number of views threads are getting in comparison to the number of posts they have on the first page to see the difference. I have no idea what the difference was before but an increase in proper posts would certainly be welcomed even though I'd rather avoid all the crap that was here before as most of it didn't really seem to contribute at all.

I have been reading both since shit went down and as far as I can see only one of the forums has a contingent of bitter, spiteful posters taking shots at the "virtue signalling, SJW's" ignorant in their celebration of ridding themselves of a leftist echo-chamber whilst attempting to create a conservative one.

entremet

I still enjoy both sites. Reset moves blazingly fast, which is good and bad. GAF does need more posters, though. However, the slower nature is rather welcome too. Both scratch different itches.

Nothing like randomly popping back in periodically since the exodus to see what the place is like and regularly seeing these kind of meta-commentary threads filled with posters gleefully taking potshots at the other forum, at the members who left, and narrating about how bad the moderation culture was here/currently and ostensibly is over there.

Perpetually airing one's grievances and petty grudges only serves to perpetuate an inherently bitter atmosphere, which is all I can say about this place. It's an air of permanent negativity where a lot of people seem utterly incapable of moving on, and they don't see this as counterproductive to the desire of promoting more activity on this board?

OrionFalls

Nothing like randomly popping back in periodically since the exodus to see what the place is like and regularly seeing these kind of meta-commentary threads filled with posters gleefully taking potshots at the other forum, at the members who left, and narrating about how bad the moderation culture was here/currently and ostensibly is over there.

Perpetually airing one's grievances and petty grudges only serves to perpetuate an inherently bitter atmosphere, which is all I can say about this place. It's an air of permanent negativity where a lot of people seem utterly incapable of moving on, and they don't see this as counterproductive to the desire of promoting more activity on this board?
I've seen multiple people take potshots at this site over on ResetEra, so don't act all fucking innocent. Both are as bad as each other.

Blam

Thats how the internet is these days. Everything has a reason everything is a conspiracy. Everyone who does not agree with me is a Nazi. And so on.

I mean shit I had a part in making the site albeit a small part, but regardless of that. There's nothing fishy and never was anything fishy like OP is implying going on with the site.

I think it’s funny a forum they threw together overnight has more functionality than NeoGAF has ever had

That's what happens when a newer more modern forum software is used. GAF is going to be switching to that same software once the quirks with moving all the posts over get cleared up.

David___

Banned
I've seen multiple people take potshots at this site over on ResetEra, so don't act all fucking innocent. Both are as bad as each other.
I wouldn’t be surprised if some people take an occasional potshot there, but at the same time there isn’t some weird meta commentary thread almost every week that ends up being the most active out of every other thread available ¯_(ツ)_/¯

And ERA does not feature entire threads dedicated to, or devolve into, snide gossip about this place given the decision by admins and mods to discourage members from bringing any of the baggage over. Oh no doubt you will find a number of people who will still flout that request and do so anyway, but it's never in any way a dominating conversation. By contrast, this website just can't help but regularly have threads about something related to ERA, the exodus and the conduct of past mods and departed members.

I personally don't see any fruitful result to be gained from keeping a thread like this open anyway (besides more consistent activity, lol). OP's somewhat paranoid question has been thoroughly answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom