• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenJunkies' Andy Signore Accused of Sexual Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliesen

It doesn't really seem like harassment, more like a guy that awkwardly flirts. It's pathetic, but I wouldn't call it harassment.

Cool.

it's still harassment, though.

Are we entirely sure that she's replying no other than twice on those threads?

I'm curious.

"Just asking questions".

What's the difference if she answered three or four times? - what's the end game to your curiosity?

It doesn't really seem like harassment, more like a guy that awkwardly flirts. It's pathetic, but I wouldn't call it harassment.

I get what you mean, it is pathetic flirting. But it is also sexual harrasment, the two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Maximo

I get what you mean, it is pathetic flirting. But it is also sexual harrasment, the two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Its crazy to think the number of people who think *sexual harassment* only counts if the person physically tries to force themselves on them.

His messages are obviously a slow underhanded luring sexual creep. I’d have more respect for the guy if he just straight up asked girls out then got shot down and moved on. It’s all weird and uncomfortable and the message cadence isn’t helping him.

gdt

I'm not OK with his behavior at all, even if it only was at the "creep" stage (even though I think that more than that happened)...

... but I am definitely also not OK with his chatlogs being made public. That is a breach of privacy and literally a social media witch hunt. Let the judges decide on this case before destroying his life. For me, sharing those screen caps weakens the case of his victims who are seemingly more concerned to get media attention than justice.

Lmao what

Its crazy to think the number of people who think *sexual harassment* only counts if the person physically tries to force themselves on them.

Harassment does traditionally imply repeated attempts to impose oneself on someone despite rebuffment or requests to cease, whereas there is an attempt at redefining the word to include single instances of unwanted attention where there is a perceptible power differential between the two parties (i.e. a boss asking an employee for sex) or where one party is a member of a group perceived as engaging in a behavior en masse (i.e. catcalling being called street harassment by some because there are enough men, in general, that do it, such that a single comment can be perceived as part of a continuum).

Edit: This dude has the least amount of game a human being could have, Jesus Christ.

Guy is a spaz and a creep. Having to apologize for creeping/weirding someone out constantly is not flirting, it’s harrassment.

It makes me a little ill thinking about all of the women he has had on Movie Fights and other shows. Did he make such moves on regulars like Alicia Malone? Or did he only make these advances on aspiring young women and “super” fans from out of town/country?

I'm not OK with his behavior at all, even if it only was at the "creep" stage (even though I think that more than that happened)...

... but I am definitely also not OK with his chatlogs being made public. That is a breach of privacy and literally a social media witch hunt. Let the judges decide on this case before destroying his life. For me, sharing those screen caps weakens the case of his victims who are seemingly more concerned to get media attention than justice.
If you sent me an email, you hand over the right for me to talk about what you sent. I am not an attorney or doctor. This is not a privacy issue. Come on now.

Where are these responses? I haven't seen a single post claiming she's a liar.
For someone who says he is so concerned about a social media witch hunt, you sure don't seem to know how these cases go on social media, or in real life, with people speaking up being bullied and silenced.

vordhosbn

Banned
I knew a lot of guys like this in university but they didn't harass nearly as many women. His position/money definitely made him feel like he had a chance.

Same shit happened at the Nazi "Unite the Right" rally at Charlottesville this year, people started doxxing the racists there. I remember a few were correctly fired, one guy from the company logo on the shirt he was wearing. But also at least one innocent professor was falsely identified was being there and his personal email, phone number and home address were posted online and he was harassed and threatened. Shit like that is why you don't believe everything you read online.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...after-being-misidentified-on-twitter-as-a-rac

racist_-_Copy.png

Why is going "I believe the victim and hope this is investigated properly" on a message board being equated to doxxing innocent people on social media.

Like, we are taking it to the extreme here.

Yes, doxxing is terrible.Everyone would agree with that statement. I don't read an accusation and go "okay, time to ruin this guy's life" (something you guys are WAY MORE empathetic to than being a victim of sexual assault/harrassment).

The entire point being made was how people don't accusations seriously enough and how it's messed up how one story story isn't worth believing until others come out with screenshots.And ya'll went way out of your way to prove that that's better than an innocent being looked out.

And you continue to go "but what about innocent men". You're basically "all lives mattering" a thread about sexual assault.

Budi

Why is going "I believe the victim and hope this is investigated properly" on a message board being equated to doxxing innocent people on social media.

Like, we are taking it to the extreme here.
Probably for the same reason that "horrible if true" is seen as calling the accuser a liar. Rape is a horrible thing and it evokes a lot of emotional responses. It's difficult to keep a level head when reacting to these.

Probably for the same reason that "horrible if true" is seen as calling the accuser a liar. Rape is a horrible thing and it evokes a lot of emotional responses. It's difficult to keep a level head when reacting to these.

I don't have a problem with "horrible if true".

It's the "Hmm, I'll wait and see." that comes off as indifferent to me, "will wait for him to respond" or "No proof, no evidence, okay moving on."

Shouldn't receipts be passed to the investigating party? They could be posted online, but I'm not gonna shrug off the story if they're not posted or even encourage them to be shared publicly.

Budi

I don't have a problem with "horrible if true".

It's the "Hmm, I'll wait and see." that comes off as indifferent to me, "will wait for him to respond" or "No proof, no evidence, okay moving on."

Shouldn't receipts be passed to the investigating party? They could be posted online, but I'm not gonna shrug off the story if they're not posted or even encourage them to be shared publicly.
Sure. You may not but many on this board has, as it has been already discussed in the thread. And in my opinion it's up to the victim to choose how they handle their situation, if they are willing to disclose it publicly. Like in this case HR had already been contacted but they tried to silence it with threats. Absolutely go public then so victims might get some justice because of outside pressure. And as often happens it can encourage others to come forward too. But I wouldn't apply any pressure on people to share anything publicly they are uncomfortable doing. These cases aren't to satisfy my need for drama or shock, I don't need to have the details. The authorities or anyone investigating does need the details and they need to treat every accusation seriously and with respect. Unfortunately this often doesn't happen.

Edit: To be clear, it's not just the authorities that need to be respectful. Even us random forum posters should be respectful in these situations and not crack dumb jokes etc. Like happened in this thread from the very first post and also in the Nelly thread.

Ekai

The sheer amount of victim blaming going on in this thread is why some of girl gaf doesn't even want to come here anymore.

EDIT: Learned from one of my Girl Gaf friends that even people outside of our corner are getting sick of this kind of behavior continuing to be a thing.

I'm not forgetting anything. I am a black man I've been raised to never just believe a white womens rape/sexual assault allegations just cuz she says it's true. With its history being what it is I think that's fair. Go google the rosewood massacre. Yea fuck all that 100% believing a women no mattter what nonesense.

Given how rare false rape accusations are and your repeat behavior in calling women "lying bitches" it's getting kinda obvious what you're going for here. Especially given you keep stanning for these dudes even after it's clear they're guilty.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
He seems to have a "crush" on half the female population.

"I have a crush on you LOL"
"No Creep!"
"We should go out"
"But don't tell tehehehe"
"I hope I didn't creep you out LOL"
"A beautiful nerd like youself! LOL"

jstripes

Banned
The sad desperation in all those interactions is astonishing.

And still complete radio silence from him. His wife must have locked him out of the house at this point.

Famassu

Umm... In what universe is that not harassment?

Also... Finland mentioned! Sorry, just kind of ridiculous that his pervy texting stretches all the way to Finland. :S

Famassu

Victims who, in some cases, ANONYMOUSLY send Andy's creep-texts for others to publish are doing it for media attention?

EDITS: Oops, doubliez.

FaintDeftone

These chats are absolutely embarrassing to read. Hopefully Screen Junkies cuts ties with him for good. He was definitely using his status at SJ to try to get laid, which makes the company look horrible.

Ekai

at the people defending this predator, GET A GRIP

Again, it's honestly why a lot of people I know are getting fed up with this place. Not just this specific thread but a continued pattern of defending sexual assaulters/sexism in general. Especially when these people go unpunished most of the time, even when it's been apparently reported.

I don't think they're going to get a grip, it's a pattern of behavior at this point.

Mesoian

PFFT, okay.

So if you send me an unwanted, unsolicited picture of your penis, you expect me to keep quiet about it OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF MY HEART?

Get real dude. The only people you have that kind of privacy with is your doctor and your lawyer. Bad behavior shouldn't be protected because, "It was just supposed to be between us!"

jett

D-Member

what

Mesoian

I'm not forgetting anything. I am a black man I've been raised to never just believe a white womens rape/sexual assault allegations just cuz she says it's true. With its history being what it is I think that's fair. Go google the rosewood massacre. Yea fuck all that 100% believing a women no mattter what nonesense.

Look, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like some real shit doesn't go down from time to time, but I'm also not gonna sit here and accept the idea that 99% of assault claims made from women are malicious lies based on a particularly evil event that happened 100 years ago. I'd sooner look at the sexual assault cases made against Penn State and Notre Dame as representation of how modern rape allegations go, which is usually the accused, the business of the accused and the public institution of both the accused and the alleged victim threatening said victim with violence or financial ruin if they go to court.

"White women be lyin'" isn't really an acceptable stance in 2017.

Ekai

Look, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like some real shit doesn't go down from time to time, but I'm also not gonna sit here and accept the idea that 99% of assault claims made from women are malicious lies based on a particularly evil event that happened 100 years ago. I'd sooner look at the sexual assault cases made against Penn State and Notre Dame as representation of how modern rape allegations go, which is usually the accused, the business of the accused and the public institution of both the accused and the alleged victim threatening said victim with violence or financial ruin if they go to court.

"White women be lyin'" isn't really an acceptable stance in 2017.

Eyup.

Dice//

Banned

If I kept trying to talk business and some idiot kept trying to flirt with me, I'd be super pissed and worried about the person I'm working with.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's harassment. Period.

If you send unsolicited pms to someone there's no legal document stating that they can't make those private.

If I kept trying to talk business and some idiot kept trying to flirt with me, I'd be super pissed and worried about the person I'm working with.

I think this is the clearest thing...Signores awkward flirting might be more acceptable at a bar with both parties being buzzed, but the ladies in the messages are clearly discussing things related to the channel or other business stuff and he is a guy with "power", so that is the only reason they are giving him any time at all.

Taking advantage of his position is absolutely wrong, even if you think the actual content of what he is saying seems ok to you.

jstripes

Banned
One thing that seems clear is that this is probably only a tiny fraction of his "interactions". From the awkward consistency of it all, it looks like some reflexive compulsion for him, and most women out there probably wrote his slides into the DM off as "another gross creep" and forgot about it.

One thing that seems clear is that this is probably only a tiny fraction of his "interactions". From the awkward consistency of it all, it looks like some reflexive compulsion for him, and most women out there probably wrote his slides into the DM off as "another gross creep" and forgot about it.
Yeah. It’s clear from his chats that he just can’t help himself. He also never seems to see how bad and creepy he is.

Fliesen

If you have to add " I hope I didn't weird you out" "make you unfortable lol" regularly then surely a sensible part of your brain must kick in and realise that's it's akin to "I'm not racist but...." ?

The really sad thing for me is that the fact he tries this so regularly means he has likely had some success, there's women out there who have been propositioned, accepted his advances and felt obliged to do so to further their careers. Fuck him for putting them in that position.

Yeah. It's clear from his chats that he just can't help himself. He also never seems to see how bad and creepy he is.

It's not some 'revelation' to him, he uses that statement after the fact to retroactively pretend like the sexual advances before were just some random, weird 'compliment', some joke.
And to pretend he just realized how this totally "came out wrong". Like "woops, brainfart". - To make the victim think "well, that was super creepy, thankfully he realized he's being weird right now. Otherwise i would have needed to bring up that i'm uncomfortable, ... i guess it really was just a joke"

When in fact, he's totally aware of what he's saying, why he's saying it and what kind of response he's hoping to get. He's just being incredibly manipulative.

And it's obviously working on some of you guys as well, who are seeing him as some kind of 'super thirsty pathetic creep' (someone who you'd almost pity), instead of a manipulative predatory harasser. The whole pathetic thirsty awkward spiel is just an act, both for his victims, but also if one of the victims maybe showed the conversation to an outsider. - because "being a thirsty creep" is 'only' pathetic.

Neece

Guy is a spaz and a creep. Having to apologize for creeping/weirding someone out constantly is not flirting, it’s harrassment.

It makes me a little ill thinking about all of the women he has had on Movie Fights and other shows. Did he make such moves on regulars like Alicia Malone? Or did he only make these advances on aspiring young women and “super” fans from out of town/country?

Alicia said she has no idea it was happening. Same with Roth. So far I haven’t seen any staff say it happened to them. Seems isolated to fans and interns (many of them out of state or from different countries). He reaaaally liked using the tactic of inviting female fans to a taping of movie fights to be on the “fan cam” while at the same time asking them for sexual photos or for them to “hang out” when they come into town. He also propositioned the winner of one of his super fan competitions. She said he tried to have sex with her before and after she appeared on Movie Fights. So far I think she is the only participant on that show that has come forward with harassment.

He also told one of the women that he would fire her boyfriend (JTE) if she told.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not some 'revelation' to him, he uses that statement after the fact to retroactively pretend like the sexual advances before were just some random, weird 'compliment', some joke.
And to pretend he just realized how this totally "came out wrong". Like "woops, brainfart". - To make the victim think "well, that was super creepy, thankfully he realized he's being weird right now. Otherwise i would have needed to bring up that i'm uncomfortable, ... i guess it really was just a joke"

When in fact, he's totally aware of what he's saying, why he's saying it and what kind of response he's hoping to get. He's just being incredibly manipulative.

Exactly. If it happens once, there might be credibility to it. Everyone has said something awkward or something that "came out wrong" at some point. But since this is a pattern, it's obviously not the case.

He's not just a "pathetic loser with no game", he's a creepy serial sexual harasser, period.

Alicia said she has no idea it was happening. Same with Roth. So far I haven’t seen any staff say it happened to them. Seems isolated to fans and interns (many of them out of state or from different countries). He reaaaally liked using the tactic of inviting female fans to a taping of movie fights to be on the “fan cam” while at the same time asking them for sexual photos or for them to “hang out” when they come into town. He also propositioned the winner of one of his super fan competitions. She said he tried to have sex with her before and after she appeared on Movie Fights. So far I think she is the only participant on that show that has come forward with harassment.

He also told one of the women that he would fire her boyfriend (JTE) if she told.

That’s what I was gleaming as well, didn’t see the Alicia or Roth’s statements so thanks for that. That is some predatory behavior to focus on these young out of town and country fans and interns.

Famassu

Nah, I think he's aware, but he thinks he can lol his way out of it.
He comes lol off as lol knowing what he lol does lol is lol wrong or lol at least not something he lol should lol be doing but lol still lol thinking lol lol lol that if he's lol all lol "just a lol-joke lol" lol, then it's not totally lol sexual harassment lol & it's lol ok or at least lol something that one lol forgives & forgets lol.

lol

Mesoian

He comes lol off as lol knowing what he lol does lol is lol wrong or lol at least not something he lol should lol be doing but lol still lol thinking lol lol lol that if he's lol all lol "just a lol-joke lol" lol, then it's not totally lol sexual harassment lol & it's lol ok or at least lol something that one lol forgives & forgets lol.

lol

"If I never stop laughing, the situation will never escalate! RIGHT?!? RIGHT!!!!"

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I’m all for exposing these creeps by whatever means the victims can. If that means posting emails and DMs, by all means, do it.

Anyone that has been a victim of harassment or sexual abuse knows how soul crushing it is to have your story dismissed and you branded a liar and treated like a pariah because you spoke up. You have no idea how fucking hard it is to come forward and put the humiliating, dehumanizing, and traumatizing experience out there for others to hear in the first place, and when you do, they judge you, and shame you and try to discredit you.

Being able to prove in some capacity that the abuse you experienced is real is a luxury many victims can’t afford. Generally, it’s almost always a “he said/she said” sort of situation, and most people align along their biases when no evidence is present. Knowing that when the abuser is in a position of power, they often have ardent supporters and followers eager to lend their axe to fight for him/her is enough incentive for many victims to keep quiet.

All you have is your word, and that’s often not enough if your abuser is a person of celebrity. So yeah, “receipts” if you have them, very well should be presented. All it can do is help you. And any other unfortunate victim who comes forward is a help too. But sometimes you may be the only victim, and then what course of action do you have? Come forward, be dismissed and ostracized, and your abuser goes unpunished, while you still suffer from your abuse.

I feel absolutely horrible for the victims of abuse that have nothing but their word, especially in the case of a high profile abuser, because celebrity worship tends to have people dismiss claims of abuse outright. Especially if it’s someone they’re a fan of.

It makes me incredibly sad that so many victims of abuse stay silent because they know it’s a losing battle without absolute proof. Living with your trauma while your abuser struts around like they’ve done nothing wrong, and everyone else sings their praises, is a horrible feeling. A really horrible feeling.

le.phat

That reflects poorly on you then. Because it absolutely is harassment. Don't forget he approached his victims from a position of power.

Cilla

God, as a woman it's so frustrating again and again to read people victim blaming on GAF. This isn't 'lame flirting' it's sexual harassment. Maybe if more men thought harassment was broader than literally trying to force yourself onto someone we wouldn't be harassed on a daily basic.

It feels like we're going backwards and it sure is disheartening.

Anyway I hope he gets fired if he hasn't been already.

trejo

God, as a woman it's so frustrating again and again to read people victim blaming on GAF. This isn't 'lame flirting' it's sexual harassment. Maybe if more men thought harassment was broader than literally trying to force yourself onto someone we wouldn't be harassed on a daily basic.

It feels like we're going backwards and it sure is disheartening.

Anyway I hope he gets fired if he hasn't been already.

They've already "suspended his employment", as per the statement released on the screenjunkies twitter account.

What I'd like to see now is some follow-up regarding those shitheads at HR who tried to sweep the whole thing under the rug for months but I get the feeling that's something they'd rather handle internally.

liquidtmd

Banned
God, as a woman it's so frustrating again and again to read people victim blaming on GAF. This isn't 'lame flirting' it's sexual harassment.

Yep.

Flirting = little innuendo, maybe a dinner invite

Not flirting = asking women to dress up as adult babies, offering job opportunities in exchange for dates and suggesting women come round to read a book whilst he jacks off over them.

It's not really that difficult.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Huh I'm surprised

I was really expecting the "I'm sorry and resigning lol" video or statement from him directly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom