• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkwood |OT| Indie survival horror's hidden gem

JNT

It's out? I've been holding off on playing this despite owning it as an early access title since 2015. I really like Teleglitch so I hope this is similar.

We'd like to port the game to consoles. It depends on the PC launch, but we're definitely not ruling out that possibility. Would be a cool thing to do!

Please please please with PS4 Pro support please please please [makes_begging_noises]

Watched some streams last night. Such a cool game!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Gonna have to pick this game up when I have some time to play it. Looks great! Glad to see it having full controller support as well.
The game kind of reminded me of Fiend (just based on the genre and seeing some images), one of the earliest projects from Frictional Games, released in 2001:
http://frictionalgames.com/site/fiend

drotahorror

This game has averaged 10-25 players on average playing for almost 3 years. As of right now there's 944 people playing. Not bad at all.

I can't quite figure out what sort of sales the game has had since it released though. https://steamspy.com/app/274520

Seems weird that amount of owners have dropped since the beginning of August when I saw that it was #3 seller on steam yesterday. It's around 10 or so now.

Guesong

I bought this because of the OP.

I'm loving it so far! I went with Normal because I don't like the concept of permadeath too much, but I'm thinking maybe I should have went with Hard.

I'm on Day 3 and an NPC tasked me with a mission on Day 2. I'm wondering ; can I take all the days in the world to prepare before doing that task, or am I going to be forced one way or the other soon enough?
Wolfman wants me to go through the Dark Forest,
warning me to "go prepared"...so every square inch of my shit is getting looted.

Though there's one place I won't go on my map
a wedding? Gaffers were saying to not go to a wedding uninvited earlier...so I'm staying away :O

Dev posted these cool GIFs on Twitter, showing off some master-level combat and prep

UVxMUZU.gif

uWbJkXW.gif

Ryuuga

Banned
Been playing it since the other night. At night when I'm hearing noises around me I notice my fingers preemptively on Alt+F4.

Djostikk

Amateur hint: don't try to survive the night in other places except for hideout. Even ones with power generator won't save you...

This looks very interesting. Though one concern I have is the visual design makes everything blend together. Might be annoying if the enemies and other threats do not contrast enough from the environment for quick identification, especially since the combat seems to require quick reflexes.

Djostikk

This looks very interesting. Though one concern I have is the visual design makes everything blend together. Might be annoying if the enemies and other threats do not contrast enough from the environment for quick identification, especially since the combat seems to require quick reflexes.

That wasn't the issue for me so far. Devs made good design choices and it's easy to see enemies, they also make noises so that's another way to be prepared.

Ryuuga

Banned
That wasn't the issue for me so far. Devs made good design choices and it's easy to see enemies, they also make noises so that's another way to be prepared.

I'd argue the excellent sound design alleviates any concern about visual recognition.

The game does a good job of using lighting, sound design, and enemy design to make them contrast and stand out nicely

tesqui

What a pleasant surprise this game has been. I love how mysterious everything is. My favorite types of games are the ones that don't tell you much of anything, and this is one of those. I love discovering mechanics and features. It reminds of Dark Souls in that way.

Skittles

Just picked up this game, pretty amazing so far.

When you're half way through the night and your generator goes out:
ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

carlsojo

Me at night: La la la hanging out in my bedroom. La la ... why is the door to my bedroom suddenly open?

Edit: Just did my first night in the second hideout which I couldn't finish barricading/repairing in time. Shit was sooo much more scary.

The game does a good job of using lighting, sound design, and enemy design to make them contrast and stand out nicely
Hmm. Still a little skeptical going off the videos I watched. I decided to get it given the low cost.

Edit: Played for a bit but it's not going to be for me. Refunded it. I don't like the visual style and find it hard to discern some details. Took me a while to recognize the axe before I could proceed in the tutorial. Also jump scares. :<

theRizzle

Glad to see they finally finished! I backed on IndieGoGo years ago and have been dipping back in here and there, but haven't checked out the final yet. The atmosphere is really great.

owlbeak

This game is significantly more terrifying than it has ANY right to be as, as a top-down game. It's unbelievable. Seeing things move at night through tiny slivers of light shining through cracks in your wall. Also.... I didn't realize a table pushed in front of a door wasn't enough.

giphy.gif

This game is significantly more terrifying than it has ANY right to be as, as a top-down game. It's unbelievable. Seeing things move at night through tiny slivers of light shining through cracks in your wall. Also.... I didn't realize a table pushed in front of a door wasn't enough.

giphy.gif
It does the opposite of what so many horror games do. Instead of using the darkness and your limited perspective to scare you, it uses your wider view to let you see what lurks out there, just enough to catch unsettling glimpses that are made even more terrifying in your head due to the sound design.

You can seen more, but that's used against you. Also the fact that you're actively on the defensive hoping that your barricades and protections will be enough. Being able to protect yourself makes these things feel that much more dangerous when they can get around those defenses.

Just picked this game up yesterday and I absolutely love it. So much to praise, great art and animations, terrifying enemies, a strange environment, top tier sound design. It has a very fun blend of gameplay during the day and night sequences and I can't wait to make it even further into the story.

This game will probably rank in my Top 5 this year alongside Breath of the Wild and Persona 5.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
I'm on day 7 of a 10 day stretch of work but I'll be damned if I'm not buying this on Wednesday night and binging for the following 4 or 5 days. :) Looks utterly brilliant.

I like how the game has a story to follow, but I really love the gameplay so I hope they work on a separate mode that is just pure permadeath survival with multiplayer support. Strip away the story and linear aspects of the game and just let me see how long I can survive.

There is so much potential for this game beyond the already great release.

120v

fantastic so far...

feel l like i've been burned a lot lately on indie games with cool concepts that end up being uninspired roguelikes or whatever. so this really is a fresh of breath air.... an actual "game" for once

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yo

i pushed that fucking wardrobe into the wall hole. These fucking dogs just push it and come in anyway.

thats bullshit!

Kudo

I remember seeing those funny ads these devs did for themselves years ago, and now the game is finally out? And it even works on Mac?
Time to try it out this weekend.

Afro

Not sure what I exactly need to build a gun. Saw a guy who was trading a few different parts that seemed would go together to craft a weapon, but I wasn't sure what I needed and didn't want to waste resources.

owlbeak

It does the opposite of what so many horror games do. Instead of using the darkness and your limited perspective to scare you, it uses your wider view to let you see what lurks out there, just enough to catch unsettling glimpses that are made even more terrifying in your head due to the sound design.

You can seen more, but that's used against you. Also the fact that you're actively on the defensive hoping that your barricades and protections will be enough. Being able to protect yourself makes these things feel that much more dangerous when they can get around those defenses.
Exactly. The sound design + just seeing a glimpse of something move is horrifying.

Also...last night, I was in the second shelter you find. Had some crows fly overhead in the middle of the night, the crows scared me, based on the sound.
and then some sort of face flashed on the screen and some bird person appeared in the room with me, and all these bird people attacked me. I didn't stand a chance!!!!
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Djostikk

Not sure what I exactly need to build a gun. Saw a guy who was trading a few different parts that seemed would go together to craft a weapon, but I wasn't sure what I needed and didn't want to waste resources.

To &#1089;raft a semi-auto pistol you first need to make sure you have an upgraded bench. I think it's 4 level, then you have to get a tape, weapon parts and pistol frame. Bench pretty much shows what you need to craft certain items, it just might be not so obvious what it is since there's only image of it.

Update: Damn! Just died and lost my save. Should've started on Normal mode...

YOOOOO FUCK THIS GAME

Care to elaborate any further?

Anyway, I'm on day 15 or 16 in my game, and just went down the well in the village for the first time. The Wolfman ran off to a different corner of the map, but I feel like there is still a lot to do in the silent woods.

Some recent coverage
http://kotaku.com/great-horror-games-can-scare-you-no-matter-where-the-ca-1798319723
It might be standard crafting-survival fare were it not for the fact that Darkwood is dripping with dread. The woods not only feel alive, they feel malevolent. Thick tangles of trees are oppressive and sunlight never reaches the ground. Your vision is limited to the cone of light cast by your flashlight, and as you slowly trudge on, you can’t help but anticipate something reaching out from the darkness to grab you. The footsteps around your hideout at night may signal someone coming for you, or they might only be your imagination. Which thought is more disturbing?

I can't stop playing this. I took forever to get to the second base, 10 in-game days lol.

I still get just as nervous as ever at night, and dammit the second base is much harder to stay safe in :/

I tried to see if I could survive at night without any lights on by running around outside, started getting chased by two enemies...and then ran into my own bear trap lol. R.I.P.

edit: also I was watching someone play on youtube, and they mentioned that the map originally was just one big map, but people said it was too hard so they split it into the 3 regions we have now. Need to see footage of what that was like!

SomTervo

Holy shit does the difficulty ramp up significantly. I'm on day 13 or something and I can't work out how to secure the second hideout properly so savages always get right in and I get flustered and fucked.

I made the mistake of choosing 'Hard' too, so I've only got one or two lives left... Probably won't survive another night and will lose 4-5 hours of progress.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Devs did a small retrospective on the development of the game for anyone interested. I didn't know they weren't fans of the genre, and makes the qualities of this game even more important.

They also provided an official, legit torrent link to the full game with no DRM or nothing weird for anyone on the fence wanting to try the game. I don't remember something similar in the past, and it's especially huge for small indie devs like that so big, BIG kudos to them. Link's at the end of that retrospective (not wanting to link it here directly, as they at the very least deserve people to read it through).

So we decided to do something about it! If you don't have the money and want to play the game, we have a safe torrent on the Pirate Bay of the latest version of Darkwood (1.0 hotfix 3), completely DRM-free. There's no catch, no added pirate hats for characters or anything like that. We have just one request: if you like Darkwood and want us to continue making games, consider buying it in the future, maybe on a sale, through Steam, GOG or Humble Store. But please, please, don't buy it through any key reselling site. By doing that, you're just feeding the cancer that is leeching off this industry.

Top Bottom