• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkwood |OT| Indie survival horror's hidden gem

I can't believe this finally came out. I bought it in early access what feels like years and years ago, and it's a full product now? Wow, excited to check it out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How quick did the game grab you all who've played it? I've been thinking of getting it and hoping I can tell whether I'll enjoy it or not within the 2 hour period in case I wanna refund it.

It looks cool, I've seen some footage of freaky shit that I love from a visual standpoint but yeah, still a bit wary

How quick did the game grab you all who've played it? I've been thinking of getting it and hoping I can tell whether I'll enjoy it or not within the 2 hour period in case I wanna refund it.

It looks cool, I've seen some footage of freaky shit that I love from a visual standpoint but yeah, still a bit wary
Within the first 15-20 minutes. The prologue tells you everything you need to know about the tone and game

Lord Phol

I'm a little sad this isn't getting more attention, it's such a great game. Already on my second playthrough which is quite rare for me, but I really want to see the
radio tower
ending. It does have some annoyances with the combat and night events (cool at first, just annoying after a while), but the game just oozes atmosphere and nails the creepiness so well. It gets really interesting when you start to piece things together on the second playthrough.

Red Chompers and Centipede Men though.. f those buggers.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yo this shit is legit. I like how you first go "Now what??" then you check out your journal and immediately you have a goal, without the game telling you to do so. Was gonna check out the first half hour or so and ended up playing 90 minutes straight :D.

Audio design is through the roof. My only real issue is how "pixel'y" the player sprite looks compared to everything else but that's nitpicking.

Gaz_RB

Care to elaborate any further?

Anyway, I'm on day 15 or 16 in my game, and just went down the well in the village for the first time. The Wolfman ran off to a different corner of the map, but I feel like there is still a lot to do in the silent woods.

I think I woke my neighbor up yelling haha

Djostikk

Nope, i went there and there's.. nothing? Just a chained dog

how do i get the invitation?

During nights you've probably heard someone knocking the door.. Next time you hear it, brace yourself and go there, you should find invitation close to the main entrance. I went there only once, but there were knockings in my second hideout, too.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is there a way to break open steel doors if they specifically say they're jammed or whatever? Or am I gonna have to find other routes or a way of unlocking them, even if they don't mention needing a key?

Granjinha

does anyone know where to find the code for the container in the first hideout?

i'm really lost in this game lol loving it tho

During nights you've probably heard someone knocking the door.. Next time you hear it, brace yourself and go there, you should find invitation close to the main entrance. I went there only once, but there were knockings in my second hideout, too.

oh shit. thanks, gonna do that in the next night

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
do the days passing have any significance? I mean, does it end? should one be too worried about doing too little during a day?

I dont mean is there a ending, story wise btw. Just talking about the days passing.

Djostikk

do the days passing have any significance? I mean, does it end? should one be too worried about doing too little during a day?

I dont mean is there a ending, story wise btw. Just talking about the days passing.

It gets harder to protect your base and more monsters at night AFAIK.

Widge

I love a lot of little touches here. I really like how you can tell what time of day it is from the cone of vision. Love how it goes a deep burnt orange as it gets to sunset.

A lot of detail in this. Guy I'm watching has logged about 300 hours in its various forms and is playing the main release with the casual air of someone going for a walk round his favourite park.

Top Bottom