• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Recently finished my UC1-3 franchise run and started this up.
I only got to play on Saturday, but I managed to make it up to early Chapter 3 on Survivor.
Loving the game so far.

Shame that backing up my old PS3 HDD, upgrading to a bigger one, and restoring from that earlier backup, is taking a combined 19 hours to complete. It means I haven't gotten a chance to play this at all today, nor will I until tomorrow night at the earliest.

*sighs*

Sho Nuff

Banned
I LOVE THIS GAME TO DEATH, it reminds me of the Dreamcast days when Sega was like "DOOP DOOP DOOP LET'S MAKE SOMETHING FUCKING AWESOME, IT'S PROBABLY NOT GOING TO SELL, BUT WHO CARES IT'S GOING TO BE FUCKING AWESOME LIKE WE JUST SAID"

SimonM7

I agree. And really, I think the canned nagging Sega gets these days is starting to get grating what with the lack of horrible missteps lately. Sure you've got an Episode 1 people can't seem to agree on, and those last Marvel games were unenthusiastically plopped out during 2011, but I'm hard pushed to name anything else recently that warrants the generic, broken record-esque hate.

On my 3rd play through right now. Trying to MAX out trust levels with everyone. I can't figure out when someone is maxed though. First time I noticed maxing out trust with a character is when a trophy icon popped up. I'm at the point where a couple of my characters are giving me good comments and such like they normally do, but I'm not seeing a trust level icon leveling up at all.

Also, I just figured out that upgrading a character's weapon also upgrades the weapon you pick up/buy throughout the game!

JoeFenix

Got the platinum on this a couple hours ago, the game is fantastic but man the multiplayer trophies were absolutely fucking ridiculous. Why the hell do developers insist on doing this?

Regardless I loved the game so much that I just had to get the platinum, took 100 hours for multiplayer alone and that was with help from a couple of friends!

The community consists almost entirely of Japanese players and it seems to be getting harder and harder to get a game going, especialy in the objective based gametypes. The multiplayer can certainly be fun and it's certainly better than I was expecting it to be but no one will be playing it soon enough.

Should have put all that effort into giving us more single player content and unlockables, the SP is amazing and although it does have some replay value I wish that they had put more stuff in there.

Oh well, definitely still going to on my top games of the year list, really good stuff!

i can't believe i wasn't there for the platinum!

agreed with this multiplayer online stuff just takes either way too long or just detracts from the game itself.

nHDR

Banned
VG Chartz has the total sales for this game at 180k.

PS3: 140k
360: 40k (ouch)

I'm part of the problem because I didn't buy it yet, but I absolutely will very soon!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This game deserves to sell way more than 180k. That's just depressing.

SimonM7

better cover art.

Yeah, it really looks like two drunken buddies goofing around.

warisfun.jpg

Tokubetsu

Glad I hadn't decided to pick up the game yet. The twist was awesome and I'm gonna be gladly double dipping on the PC version.

SmokyDave

I LOVE THIS GAME TO DEATH, it reminds me of the Dreamcast days when Sega was like "DOOP DOOP DOOP LET'S MAKE SOMETHING FUCKING AWESOME, IT'S PROBABLY NOT GOING TO SELL, BUT WHO CARES IT'S GOING TO BE FUCKING AWESOME LIKE WE JUST SAID"

Oh shit. That's about as strong a recommendation as anyone could give for a game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Chapter 4/5 question:
Do your partners on the train change depending on trust levels or who you choose? it seems like the last two chapters of this game have been totally Faye and Cain. Are there are a lot of changes to how the game progresses depending on who I chose? If so, I will definitely play through this again.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Chapter 4/5 question:
Do your partners on the train change depending on trust levels or who you choose? it seems like the last two chapters of this game have been totally Faye and Cain. Are there are a lot of changes to how the game progresses depending on who I chose? If so, I will definitely play through this again.

Nope.
Just Faye and Cain for both levels. The only thing that can change from those levels is whether Dan and Faye have sex or not and whether Cain interrupts them or gives them privacy.

thetrin

Nope.
Just Faye and Cain for both levels. The only thing that can change from those levels is whether Dan and Faye have sex or not and whether Cain interrupts them or gives them privacy.

I assume that's based on trust levels?
In my version, Dan got it on with Faye, and Cain did not interrupt.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I was a bit disappointed in that aspect of the game. Especially after how Nagoshi hyped it up.

Outside of the first Chapter and part of the 2nd, you really don't have alot of choice on who's in your squad at all. It's all pretty fixed for story purposes.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I assume that's based on trust levels?
In my version, Dan got it on with Faye, and Cain did not interrupt.

Played through the game twice and got two different versions, the second one Cain interrupted them and they did not get busy.

beaten!

thetrin

I was a bit disappointed in that aspect of the game. Especially after how Nagoshi hyped it up.

Outside of the first Chapter and part of the 2nd, you really don't have alot of choice on who's in your squad at all. It's all pretty fixed for story purposes.

That's unfortunate. Kind of defeats the point of the trust system if they're not even there most of the game.

I think we can add Binary Domain to the list of japanese videogames loathing USA:
  • Killer7
  • Dead Rising
  • Vanquish
  • Binary Domain

Spoiler regarding last boss battle of BD and Vanquish:
Also that the last boss in Binary Domain decide to finish him off like the president USA in Vanquish: I'm noticing a trend here.

It's certainly an interesting game even If soiled by bad story/storytelling, especially in the second half of it.

thetrin

I think we can add Binary Domain to the list of japanese videogames loathing USA:
  • Killer7
  • Dead Rising
  • Vanquish
  • Binary Domain

Also that the last boss in Binary Domain decide to finish him off like the president USA in Vanquish: I'm noticing a trend here.

It's certainly an interesting game even If soiled by bad story/storytelling, especially in the second half of it.

It's not like Binary Domain is ultra-nationalistic Japanese propaganda. Japan is depicted as hyper-isolationist and extremely xenophobic. If anything, Binary Domain seems to be poking fun at both countries at their logical extremes.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
  • Killer7
  • Dead Rising
  • Vanquish
  • Binary Domain

None of those games really do what you're suggesting.

Well not sure about Dead Rising but the other 3 for sure don't

That's unfortunate. Kind of defeats the point of the trust system if they're not even there most of the game.

Yeah the trust system is only really worth a damn if you're using voice recognition.

I was more disappointed in how under utilized the characters you are never forced to take are.

Slermy

GAF, PS3 or 360 version? Last I checked it seems like the 360 demo had the edge over the PS3 version. Is there console parity on both platforms?

I'd like to know this as well.

I see a lot of people went with the PS3 version, why is that? I'm also even more uncertain now that a PC version was announced.

thetrin

I'd like to know this as well.

I see a lot of people went with the PS3 version, why is that? I'm also even more uncertain now that a PC version was announced.

I bought the PS3 version, but it's mostly because I just like the PS3 controller more (and the game sold better on PS3 meaning the online community won't be total shit).

Honestly, I'm tempted to get the PC version as well, now that it's been announced.

geebee

Banned
Hell yeah. It's a shame a comment like this wasnt present in any previews.. the game might've sold better.

Slermy

I bought the PS3 version, but it's mostly because I just like the PS3 controller more (and the game sold better on PS3 meaning the online community won't be total shit).

Honestly, I'm tempted to get the PC version as well, now that it's been announced.

Thanks for the responses!

I think I'll buy the 360 one, and probably the PC one too.

Tomasooie

the 360 does run better, yes

we went ps3 because we would NEVER play a nagoshi team game on a fucking shitty xbox.

WHAT ABOUT SPIKEOUT.

PS3 Pros:
--free online
--probably a bigger online community (though who knows if this will even apply in a year, when they're both dead)
--awesome installation sequence
--HAVE ALL YOUR NAGOSHI GAMES TOGETHER ON THE SHELF

360 Pros:
--better framerate
--better IQ (PS3 AA might look better to some, but it looks slightly blurrier than the 360 version)

All in all, you should buy the PC version.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just picked it up, have seen nothing on the game except I've lurked over a few posts here raving about it. My favorite types of games are ones where you go into them knowing nothing and with the comparisons to Vanquish (My personal GOTY 2010 after Demon's Souls) then I can't go wrong.

Only problem is, I gotta be up for work in 6hrs! Maybe I'll just have a quick look. =D

eshwaaz

Just beat it - this is a hell of a game, and the most fun I've had with a third person shooter in years.

It's not without its missteps - the squad mechanics and upgrades are ultimately superfluous, the poor (but brief) jetski section is awkward at best, and Dan's voice actor is consistently hammy and self-aware throughout, and not in an appealing way. Thankfully, though, the good far, far outweighs the bad.

The pacing and difficulty curve are damn near perfect, the boss battles are excellent and the standard enemy encounters are varied and consistently entertaining throughout. In a time when 5 - 6 hour campaigns for shooters has become an accepted norm, Binary Domain proves that you can make an 8 - 9 hour shooter that is high quality from start to finish, devoid of shameless padding or tedious backtracking. I felt the game was exactly the right length, leaving me completely satisfied.

This will likely end up being one of the most criminally overlooked games of the year.

ironcreed

Banned
Been busy with Warriors Orochi 3, but squeezed in some time with this as well the past couple of days. Got to the sewage plant before quitting last night and loved this line, "Man, it smells like shit... literally"

LOL, I was expecting the characters to end up being filled with typical Japanese cheese (which I do like), but they are actually just plain great characters. I like them a hell of a lot more more than what Gears of War offers, and I feel the gameplay is superior as well. Fantastic third person shooter and I hope we get more like this from these guys.

Feindflug

Been busy with Warriors Orochi 3, but squeezed in some time with this as well the past couple of days. Got to the sewage plant before quitting last night and loved this line, "Man, it smells like shit... literally" LOL, I was expecting the characters to end up being cheesy, but they are actually great. I like them a hell of a lot more more than what Gears of War offers, and I feel the gameplay is superior as well. Fantastic third person shooter and I hope we get more from these guys.

Yep the game is great, yesterday I finished my second playthrough to get the "collect crap" achievements and I enjoyed the game even more...now it's time to start my No Mercy playthrough and get the final SP achievement.

Too bad the game didn't do well sales wise because it truly deserves it...It's sad to see great TPS games like Binary Domain, Vanquish and Warhammer 40K: Space Marine sell like crap. :(

So many satisfied people in this thread. So many more who will never know the joy because of Sega's terrible marketing. :(

seriously. i mean, how could the game not have a chewed up hollow child on the cover? (not overly-chewed or anything, but enough to give some indication of what the game's actually about?)...

I finished it in 2 sittings yesterday, still got a lot of trophies to get. Definitely enjoyable but not without its faults, well maybe not faults but just some things that don't fulfill their potential as well as they could. It seems like ultimately they wanted too much control over the story, so the idea of the trust mechanics affecting the outcome falls completely to the wayside. Seems like really they just wanted to make a game about
Dan and Faye

duckroll

I finished it in 2 sittings yesterday, still got a lot of trophies to get. Definitely enjoyable but not without its faults, well maybe not faults but just some things that don't fulfill their potential as well as they could. It seems like ultimately they wanted too much control over the story, so the idea of the trust mechanics affecting the outcome falls completely to the wayside. Seems like really they just wanted to make a game about
Dan and Faye

Yeah, I agree. I would have preferred a little more ambition with their promise of the player's decision on squad mates having an impact on missions. It would be nice if they expanded the scope such that all the missions in the entire game allowed you to pick from the entire squad. It was very clear by the end who the "main" characters were and who the "supporting" characters were. That's one weakness in the scenario.

DemonNite

So many satisfied people in this thread. So many more who will never know the joy because of Sega's terrible marketing. :(

I gave it to a friend at work to make him play it.

Just saw the "best" ending on youtube... I wasn't even totally aware of the possible changes coz i stayed away from all media. Saw the game at work and just borrowed it as no one else did :(

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Hope there are no more sections like the Jetski stage. Ugh, that was a horrible experience.

Happy with the rest of the game so far. Only issue is some of the voice recognition isn't picked up and consequently gives me negative responses in return. Could be my accent or the fact I'm talking with a mouth full of corn chips. ;)

SimonM7

I'd like to know if the voice recognition stuff is in any way influenced by the language setting on your console. I watched the Giant Bomb quick look after having finished the game myself. Whereas I consistently had problems getting phrases to register, it picked up most of those phrases absolutely fine when they tried them. "Hang in there" and "Big Bo", for instance, I can *never get right*. In the quick look, with the exact same pronunciation I reckon I use, the game had no problems picking it up.

So, are there any concessions made to dialect in the voice recognition stuff based on locale? I have mine set to the United Kingdom, and I don't exactly pronounce things like a Brit would.

Top Bottom