• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

JoeFenix

Dear god. I don't think I can play it simply because the thought of losing at level 49 would be heartbreaking.

I was playing with him, it was fucking intense haha!

Wave 46 dropped us in the middle of a warzone with nowhere to go for cover, turrets and snipers everywhere. It's a miracle we managed to pull it off, tommorow we'll do another map, getting close to the Platinum!

Oh and did anyone see the gametrailers review for this game? Biggest discrepancy between actual player reactions and critical reception. The game is getting 6's and 7's everywhere, wtf!

joe is right, these reviews are so fucking weird

there is so much peer pressure for those assholes not to give a game like this a good score when mass effect "has" to look a few points better for some reason.

binary is the whipping boy of the review process. i'm actually surprised it reviewed as well as it did, most of these games are just played for 30 minutes, a 5-6 is slapped on, then back to massive affect.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just started Vanquish for the first time, and while it's flashy and fun, I think Binary Domain "felt" a lot better. I've still only played Vanquish for about 40 minutes, but there's something about it that just isn't as fun as Binary.

i can agree that the enemies in vanquish aren't as "fun" to kill as the bots in binary. i wish i had a gif of the "gun twirl" those later enemies will do.

but vanquish is an incredibly fun action game!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
i can agree that the enemies in vanquish aren't as "fun" to kill as the bots in binary. i wish i had a gif of the "gun twirl" those later enemies will do.

but vanquish is an incredibly fun action game!

Yeah, it seems like a lot of fun.

I think I just need to wait a while to get into it at a time when Binary isn't fresh in my memory.

I've come to like this game even more now that I'm sober. The voice acting is pretty uneven, but for the most part I find the dialogue and cutscene direction to be surprisingly good. In general, I'm pretty fucking blown away by how fun this is.

Torraz

This game is so awesome. The best thing about it is that it keeps getting better. Often these third person shooters become a bit of a slog but the shooting near the end is just as fun, if not better, than at the beginning.

Just started chapter 6 and the story just kept getting more awesome. Fantastic game and well worth the price of admission.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm finding everything about this game to be very shallow. It's trying to hit some fun beats mechanically, but it often just feels like a b-version of Gears of War, whereas I felt Vanquish, for instance, was very successful in separating itself mechanically from Gears. I could take or leave the story and characters, which is a shame. The trust system has been a real disappointment. Upgrading your party members hardly seems worth it when their AI is so shitty.

Very interesting on paper, but as of the end of chapter two I'm finding it hard to muster the motivation to keep playing.

Torraz

I'm finding everything about this game to be very shallow. It's trying to hit some fun beats mechanically, but it often just feels like a b-version of Gears of War, whereas I felt Vanquish, for instance, was very successful in separating itself mechanically from Gears. I could take or leave the story and characters, which is a shame. The trust system has been a real disappointment. Upgrading your party members hardly seems worth it when their AI is so shitty.

Very interesting on paper, but as of the end of chapter two I'm finding it hard to muster the motivation to keep playing.

What level of difficulty are you playing on, if I may ask? I'm usually not one of the "play on hard or herp de derp"-crowd, but I find it makes binary domain more fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Normal. I think it was difficulty two of three, if I recall correctly.

Riposte

there is so much peer pressure for those assholes not to give a game like this a good score when mass effect "has" to look a few points better for some reason.

binary is the whipping boy of the review process. i'm actually surprised it reviewed as well as it did, most of these games are just played for 30 minutes, a 5-6 is slapped on, then back to massive affect.

I wouldn't call it peer pressure, though that is probably the case somewhere. The type of taste they inhibit is simply very common. That is sort of what happens when you play nothing but modern games and come to believe aspects (virtues, even) of old games have become unnecessary or even bad (punishing, etc). Mass Effect is a game which goes out of its way to make a grand first impression (mainly through making choices which at first seem very meaningful) and it has a lot of hype going for it, so naturally only a few reviewers will give it something equivalent to a 4/5 if they are susceptible to that kind of stuff.

Haven't played Binary Domain yet, though, so I wouldn't be so quick to say Binary Domain is better than Mass Effet 3.

Beat the game and I have mixed feelings about it.

I was disappointed that in the latter half of the game your team mates get picked for you most of the time. I know they did it to tell the narrative but it cuts down on replay value quite a bit.

Bosses were neat looking but some were really annoying. For example the
flying boss kept spamming the little fliers in front of me making it impossible to hit with the RPG. Meaning I have to drop the RPG, shoot down the fliers, pick up the RPG, and try to lock on again. Half the time the big boss has moved by then.

Needless to say my AI buddies were useless in helping, they're almost always useless. I tried doing some flanking maneuvers at several points in the game thinking they'd shoot the enemies and get their attention while I went around the side, but they just stand there without shooting much of the time. Also, they love running in front of me while I'm actively shooting my weapon.

Other than those things though I enjoyed it, story was good if a bit too talky and shooting up robots was really satisfying. I just don't see myself replaying it now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If they're loyal, they'll offer to pull special moves for you though. Cain has this weird tank-attract mode that he goes into that allows him to pull enemies toward him.

If they're loyal, they'll offer to pull special moves for you though. Cain has this weird tank-attract mode that he goes into that allows him to pull enemies toward him.

I never saw that. I thought I had maximum trust with him too.

Oh yeah speaking of Cain:

What happened to him? He was the best character in the game and there was no resolution for him. =(

george_us

The headshots are starting to flow!

This game doesn't have the raw polish or budget that something like Uncharted and Gears has but damn if it doesn't have a lot of heart. Haven't had this much fun with a TPS since Uncharted 2.

duckroll

Oh yeah speaking of Cain:

What happened to him? He was the best character in the game and there was no resolution for him. =(

It is possible to get Cain to return, but it requires high trust across the entire team.

It is possible to get Cain to return, but it requires high trust across the entire team.

=(

Thanks, may have to YouTube it. I was quite short with team mates I didn't like, which probably didn't help.

Edit: YouTubed it, yeah that ending was a lot better. I'm not really sure what having
high trust has to do with Cain coming back but oh well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
=(

Thanks, may have to YouTube it. I was quite short with team mates I didn't like, which probably didn't help.

Edit: YouTubed it, yeah that ending was a lot better. I'm not really sure what having
high trust has to do with Cain coming back but oh well.
I guess it means that the whole
team is willing to back you up... even Cain, who was reprogrammed to attack you.

Yeah, I don't know what triggers their special moves. Rachael offered a special rocket attack once and Faye offered a sniper attack. The game is short enough that you probably won't see any of that stuff anyway though... I only got it because I was grinding for loyalty points.

2 invasion maps down!

did the inside garage area tonight. 7 pm start. 9:20 pm finish!

these things are brutal, but so fun and rewarding at the same time!

Yuterald

Just completed my second Invasion map with Quinn and Fenix. These are definitely no joke. Competent players are a must! The warehouse map was somewhat easier than the streets. It's more congested so you finish waves faster. Wave 40-50 is pretty tense though regardless of the map you are playing on. We almost blew it a few times! Pretty hardcore gaming going on here!

theDeeDubs

Just completed my second Invasion map with Quinn and Fenix. These are definitely no joke. Competent players are a must! The warehouse map was somewhat easier than the streets. It's more congested so you finish waves faster. Wave 40-50 is pretty tense though regardless of the map you are playing on. We almost blew it a few times! Pretty hardcore gaming going on here!

I salute you guys. I just finished up all the single player chievos and I just don't have the patience to try those.

What a great game. I loved it. It's a sad fact that this game will be criminally overlooked. If I wasn't already doing so for Alpha Protocol, I'd change my avatar to help promote it :(. I know it's early into the year, but so far it's my GotY.

Been fiddling with my cheapass capture card.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my review and I hate using stock images.
On the other hand the quality is pretty bad...

meh.

VpqJW.jpg

qdRDD.jpg

7lBpJ.jpg

yZm9m.jpg

Tomasooie

Price went back up to $60 everywhere, with the exception of the PS3 version on Amazon, which is $50 now.

In the UK, it's back down to 25 pounds on Zavvi.

2 invasion maps down!

did the inside garage area tonight. 7 pm start. 9:20 pm finish!

these things are brutal, but so fun and rewarding at the same time!
I got to wave 45 on the circular map a few nights ago. We were so close...
A good strategy on that map is to always take refuge in the lowest level when shit gets too intense.
Which nanomachines are you using?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really warming up to this game.

That said, there are some really strange sequences. Like, that turret sequence with a gun that takes forever to reload and is kind of hard to aim? I mean, you lost me at turret sequence, but then you've found a way to make it even shittier?

I'm liking the characters and story a lot. The characters are all totally over the top, but it's so nice to be playing a shooter with a bunch of people who aren't buff Americans that I almost don't care.

IrishNinja

i havent kept up with reviews at all, but i guess the ME timing does bring that about - shitty if true.

well, fuck.

Torraz

Just finished it. Wonderful game.

How many endings are there? (I think discussion in this thread implied that there are several?)

In my ending
Big bo died, Shindo died as did Cain. The rest survived and Faye ran away/became a fugitive

I just finished it today. Really enjoyed the game regardless of the wacky
ending. The end boss was a pain, did anyone have trouble with it?
I really hope there is a sequel.

Torraz

I just finished it today. Really enjoyed the game regardless of the wacky
ending. The end boss was a pain, did anyone have trouble with it?
I really hope there is a sequel.

The end boss was the only combat related place I game over-ed in chapter 5/6.
The most PITA phase (for me) was the shotgun-esque phase where he downed me with one shot from 100% health from seemingly across the room. After that everything was no problem. The rockets were easy to dodge as was his charging phase.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just finished it. Wonderful game.

How many endings are there? (I think discussion in this thread implied that there are several?)

In my ending
Big bo died, Shindo died as did Cain. The rest survived and Faye ran away/became a fugitive
Technically,
they're all the same ending. You can have everyone survive, Bo die if he doesn't betray you, and Rachael die if you have to kill Bo.

How well does Yakuza 3 hold up? BD has put me in the mood to revisit that series.
Y3 is a great game, although whether or not you are okay with slow burn depends on how well you receive the opening few hours of the game. Personally, I loved it, and if I had infinite time, I'd love to replay it.

I really liked the game, but I think it loses steam in the final couple of hours. The later environments are pretty uninteresting compared to how those in the first half-ish.

jtrov

This game... this amazing ass game!

I was able to pick this up over the weekend, and now after completing Mass Effect 3, I have finally jumped into the game. Absolutely loving it so far, and even though I'm still very early on, I just can't get enough of the dialogue and direction of the game. Really digging the character interaction and how they respond to you, even though I am having a hard time relaying my intentions with the options available. Many times I think I'm answering it how I intended, but based on the reactions it seems it didn't come our correctly. I also love how awesome the character animations are and damn some of these boss battles are just flat out amazing.

Really glad I was finally able to find a copy in my area (as I had store credit). I haven't tried out any of the multiplayer, but the trailer made it seem like it would be fun. If anyone would like to group up for some horde-esque action, or regular old MP, just send me a friend request. My XBL GT is: jtrov

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked the game, but I think it loses steam in the final couple of hours. The later environments are pretty uninteresting compared to how those in the first half-ish.

I loved it throughout, but I wish there were a bit more journeying through apocalyptic Tokyo segments.

Top Bottom