• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

Kacho

I have been enjoying this way too much. It feels like what I was hoping for from Vanquish - the destructible nature of the robots in BD makes it so incredibly satisfying and visceral.

Hell yeah it is. It reminds me of Goldeneye and how awesome that game was because the enemies would react depending on where you shot them.

Sometimes it takes awhile for their tracking info to show up. Slow boat shipping with them does this whole DHL -> USPS thing or something like that. Shouldn't be an issue.

Damn, this better get here by the weekend--if it doesn't, then the $15 discount will not at all have been worth it.

edit: seriously tempted to just order it from Amazon just incase and return my order from Newegg when it finally arrives.

Torraz

Really enjoying this game. It does so many things right, big and small. I really enjoy chipping away at the enemies. One little thing I really liked was picking up a "big" weapon and then activating a switch. Dan simply held the weapon in one hand for a moment and activated the switch without dropping the two handed weapon, really liking these little things. Really liking the (japanese) voice acting so far. The guy who did akiyama in Y4 is Dan, or am I mishearing?

A minor annoyance is not being able to go for JP dub and sub, but luckily I'm now at a level where I can get through in pure japanese, thanks to the tales games... Also, am I mistaken or is it not possible to switch the difficulty? Oh well, might need to replay this game in the future.

Slermy

Is there a way to get the voice recogniton working properly in the demo? It doesn't really work consistent.

There are settings you can change on the options menu, but I didn't have much luck with it. The game kept thinking I was calling out "Faye" or "Fuck".

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone completed an all characters max trust run yet?

I'm currently in the process of one and think I'm in good shape for actually achieving it. and if I don't I know where I messed up.

I'm about midway through chapter 5 with Rachel, Cain and Faye already maxed. Shindo is a given so I'm only really worried if I'll be able to max Bo and Charlie when I meet back up with them.

Basically my run hinges on if I can max Charlie before chapter 6. Then Bo will be easy with both events in 6.

Torraz

Damn, I derped. I cancelled the cutscene where one
meets the two brits and the chinese lady. I accidentally skipped the cutscene just as the chinese lady started speaking. Did I miss much?

Is there any way to rewatch the cutscene, go back a checkpoint or something?

IrishNinja

i think my only gripe so far is Shindo's VA. he's not a bad character, but he talks enough in Ch 5 that it's really noticeable.

duckroll

i think my only gripe so far is Shindo's VA. he's not a bad character, but he talks enough in Ch 5 that it's really noticeable.

My problem with Shindo is that he doesn't sound remotely Japanese. There isn't even an effort to sound foreign at all. For a freedom fighter who is supposed to have been fighting in Japan all his life, he sounds like he grew up in the same country Dan did. :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My problem with Shindo is that he doesn't sound remotely Japanese. There isn't even an effort to sound foreign at all. For a freedom fighter who is supposed to have been fighting in Japan all his life, he sounds like he grew up in the same country Dan did. :p

But you don't have a problem with Faye's accent? Hers is far more offending to me.

duckroll

But you don't have a problem with Faye's accent? Hers is far more offending to me.

Americans doing fake foreign accents is consistent with the game in general (Faye, Charlie, Kurosawa, etc), what makes Shindo stand out is that he doesn't have a fake accent, and he doesn't sound Japanese!

Tomasooie

Why isn't there a single player option for Invasion mode?
Not that I'm not enjoying playing with others, but sometimes you just want to take scrapheads on by yourself to see how far you can go.
Playing as a sniper is great, with a shotgun for close encounters.
I just tested this, and you can play Invasion by yourself.

I started a private match (do public instead; see edit), readied up, and it threw me into an empty level.
Once that happens, you have to press start and select "Start Match" to begin.

I got owned in like a minute. :lol

Edit: Private matches don't record rankings or statistics, so I'm going to try doing it in a public one..
Edit 2: Public worked; just start it before anyone joins. Made it to round four on the Shibuya level. I completely ran out of ammo and was overrun..

Teknoman

Is there a PSN chatroom for the game? Seeing how the online community is most likely going to be small, maybe we should make one for invasion games?

EDIT: Aw the PS3 version isnt the same price as the Xbox version on Amazon?

sonicmj1

Started the game today, and I'm having a pretty great time. Taking down robots is really satisfying, and I like interacting with my team.

Blowing up every single leg on the spider boss was tons of fun, and it's pretty incredible how the boss adapts to the destruction.

I'm about midway through Chapter 2 now, and it sounds like it just gets better and better, so I can't wait to see how it develops.

Man there are zero people playing this online, except for maybe a handful who are level insane. Not at all feeling the fixed spawns.

The thing that bugs me about Invasion mode is there isn't enough ammo to go around. The option to buy equipment/etc should be available after every round, not every five rounds. I get the feeling this mode is going to devolve into everyone using sniper rifles, since they can one-shot kill most grunts.

DeVeAn

I cannot get "Fuck" to be read. Its probably my most used word too? Have I been saying it wrong all these years? lol.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot get "Fuck" to be read. Its probably my most used word too? Have I been saying it wrong all these years? lol.

No I think the game just has problems reading that word. Multiple people including myself have had that problem

Is there any way to rewatch the cutscene, go back a checkpoint or something?

after you complete the game you get a chapter select. but youtube might help, this part? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXQSCVzwTGU&feature=related
spoilers there for everyone who hasnt played that obviously.

Americans doing fake foreign accents is consistent with the game in general (Faye, Charlie, Kurosawa, etc), what makes Shindo stand out is that he doesn't have a fake accent, and he doesn't sound Japanese!

oh, i thought Kurosawa's japanese voice actor did the english lines too, i was convinced. Shindo did not sound japanese at all.

darkvir

Started playing tonight. Game is excellent so far. I was unsure after playing the demo, but man is the final game stellar.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I never got "fuck" to work, ever. I had multiple people in my family try it too, either got not recognized at all or confused with Faye. But like mentioned above Dan randomly said "fuck" when ingame sounds happened, lol.

DeVeAn

I never got "fuck" to work, ever. I had multiple people in my family try it too, either got not recognized at all or confused with Faye. But like mentioned above Dan randomly said "fuck" when ingame sounds happened, lol.

I had a part where I called Faye, she said yes? I said I love you! and she got pissed! I had a good laugh with that good stuff.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how I feel about the boss fights so far. Just fought the jet in chapter two. So far they seem to boil down to run around until you get rockets then shoot them, except you can't pick up ammo unless you have the rocket launcher on you, but if you need to shoot down other stuff you need to drop the launcher. Urgh.

IrishNinja

I'm not sure how I feel about the boss fights so far. Just fought the jet in chapter two. So far they seem to boil down to run around until you get rockets then shoot them, except you can't pick up ammo unless you have the rocket launcher on you, but if you need to shoot down other stuff you need to drop the launcher. Urgh.

yeah, that drove me nuts - kinda forgot where i dropped it in all the action once too, heh. didn't help that i felt my team wasn't covering me for shit.
if it's any consolation, that was easily one of the most frustrating boss battles as a result, many aren't as cumbersome.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yeah, the jet boss was not good. Constantly getting knocked down, having to pick up the stinger again, search for ammo. Probably the game's low point for me.

While I enjoyed the games inbuilt morale and convo stuff, nothing was more frustrating when trying to improve relations when a squad member would just wander right into your line of bullets. "ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?!". Red arrows going down appear. Fuck you.

that fight was hell for me during my first playthrough on survival difficulty, after I beat it once, I replay the game on normal difficulty and I have a lot less trouble on that boss fight

IrishNinja

just finished! that was really awesome. going back in sometime soon, how's the multi anyway?

I wasn't able to save Bo from the Cerberus......but he was right there after I blew up the satellite dish.

aw, what?! you're a horrible friend!!

Suzuki Yu

Yeah, the jet boss was not good. Constantly getting knocked down, having to pick up the stinger again, search for ammo. Probably the game's low point for me.
you should fire toward the the missiles before it hits you then you can use the rocket launcher.
i like that battle , it was brilliant IMO.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

later bosses are alot better than the first 2

ilikeme

lol'd at the image

Great hearing so much positive reactions to this game. Can't wait to try it out when I get the time.

Could it be that it depends on the mic used? I've tried in on Xbox 360. Maybe the PS3 headset is better?

duckroll

There are settings you can change on the options menu, but I didn't have much luck with it. The game kept thinking I was calling out "Faye" or "Fuck".

The game randomly hears "fuck" when bots are shooting at me.

I'd turn the noise level up but then my room-mates would hear my yelling.

OMG! I AM NO LONGER ALONE: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35211836&postcount=546

Tomasooie

just finished! that was really awesome. going back in sometime soon, how's the multi anyway?
The multiplayer feels a little clunky, and you die way too quickly (relative to other games).
You hear the same death yells over and over again, and some of the animations are mediocre. The netcode seems a bit off. All in all, you can tell it was their first time doing something like this, and that they scrapped it together at the last minute.

What I do like is that on each spawn you can choose a class and purchase items with points acquired through kills and assists. The classes don't differ much besides their primary weapon (and you can pick up dropped weapons on the battlefield). They each have unique nanomachines that give them a small edge in certain categories.

I think you gain bonuses as you level up, but there's no way to look at them. All I know is that a pop-up told me I gained a medical pouch at level 2 or 3 (maybe it increased my first-aid kit carrying capacity?). Whenever someone kills you, you're forced to look at them and I noticed a list of what seemed to be their bonuses under their name. I just hope they're not unbalancing the game. I see level 50s already.

Edit: Okay, you press Back/Select on the multiplayer menu to equip each of your classes with the bonuses you've acquired. Pretty cool.

Little things like melee attacks with a claymore seemingly doing absolutely nothing ticked me off too. And there are only five maps.

Ultimately it's still a good deal of fun, but I'm thinking the team's focus was mostly on the single player.

Here's some of the things he "said" with no voice input into the mic at all:
"Faye"
"Faye Lee"
"Fire"
"Fuck"
Dan's got sleaze on his mind..

started an easy run last night to finish up the single player trophies

LOL at the trust levels! a single "trust farm" location brought two characters from fresh to just about MAX TRUST.

i'm wondering what will happen at the end when everyone is max.

Yuterald

Finished the game for my second time last night on No Mercy. Such an awesome game. Mopping up the remainder of the single player trophies before I devote my attention towards the network modes, forever. I truly wish there was more to do in the campaign mode. I kind of wish the developers toned down on all the multiplayer challenges as well. While I do enjoy the multiplayer for what it's worth there is a bit too much focus on the online aspect of the game. It would have been nice if there was some sort of single player challenge mode or really any other excuse to keep me replaying the campaign.

I'm really surprised the team showed restraint when opting out mini games for the Spiral Club, lol! I bet they were DYING to program those little card and air hockey tables or whatever was scattered around the club. You know, the more I think about it, maybe they didn't want to create those same kind of Yakuza-like experiences for this game. Still, there is no excuse for the lack of a single player challenge mode. There was a lot of missed opportunity to make the campaign more interesting than it already was.

I'm surprised developers today still haven't tried expanding on the campaign-shooter genre. It's like, when someone makes a campaign-shooter they automatically feel obligated to scatter collectables around the areas...and that's it! Even Vanquish was like this. Besides a scoring system for leaderboards, there was no ranking system or any kind of performance tracker. Just a bunch of gold statues to shoot/collect scattered around the maps.

I get that these kind of campaign shooters are an "experience" and having a scoring system or ranking screen pop up is somewhat obtrusive, but that doesn't mean you can't offer a ranking/scoring mode after completion (El Shaddai, for example). Binary Domain, especially, has such good mechanics, it's begging for a cool challenge mode. The Invasion mode is a welcome challenge though. That's definitely going to be some fun with some buddies.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
started an easy run last night to finish up the single player trophies

LOL at the trust levels! a single "trust farm" location brought two characters from fresh to just about MAX TRUST.

i'm wondering what will happen at the end when everyone is max.

Haha yeah I've been abusing those. So far I've found 3:

1. Elevator at the end of Chapter 2. Infinite monkeys will spawn.
  2. Tsar Runner boss battle. You can prolong the battle as long as possible by only hitting the boss when neccessary. Infinite green robots will come to continue supporting it. If you shoot the robot instead of the transport pod trust is raised among all present members.
  3. Right before the elevator at the end of the section with Shindo and the other guy. Enemies keep spawning. There's so many enemies along the way though you'll probably max both characters even before reaching that point though.

There's probably more, but those are the easiest ones to abuse and you don't really need any besides those 3 to max all characters.

Other than that the goal is to headshot and melee enemies as much as possible, have teammates revive you and save your kits for reviving them and grabbing the trust % gain increase nanomachine from the NPC in Shibuya district.

With all that, maxing all crew members(
even kurosawa
) is not only obtainable, it's actually really easy :s

Haha yeah I've been abusing those. So far I've found 3:

1. Elevator at the end of Chapter 2. Infinite monkeys will spawn.
  2. Tsar Runner boss battle. You can prolong the battle as long as possible by only hitting the boss when neccessary. Infinite green robots will come to continue supporting it. If you shoot the robot instead of the transport pod trust is raised among all present members.
  3. Right before the elevator at the end of the section with Shindo and the other guy. Enemies keep spawning. There's so many enemies along the way though you'll probably max both characters even before reaching that point though.

There's probably more, but those are the easiest ones to abuse and you don't really need any besides those 3 to max all characters.

Other than that the goal is to headshot and melee enemies as much as possible, have teammates revive you and save your kits for reviving them and grabbing the trust % gain increase nanomachine from the NPC in Shibuya district.

With all that, maxing all crew members(
even kurosawa
) is not only obtainable, it's actually really easy :s

the second portion of the Chapter 5-1 boss can also be used for (limited) trust farming. Just keep going in a circle and the enemies will pop-up and you can take them out, repeat.

Top Bottom