• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

.hacked

Just beat it, part 2 please!!!!!

I would love a revolvotech figure of Cain, I just love the froggy robot!

analisis_binary_domain_cain.jpg

Zut alors!

I did end up grabbing this yesterday and played for a couple of hours yesterday. So far, I'm very much enjoying it. It's really a refreshing take (or satire) of the whole bro-shooter genre. There's certainly some jankiness in spots but overall, it's a great looking and fun romp so far! It should be an interesting juxtaposition playing this while going through ME3 later this week.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As a Frenchman myself, I must say that I really liked Cain. With that said, I would also have liked a "real" French character.
Yeah, that would have been great too.

Although he had very little presence in the game, I found the accent used for Jean to be pretty awful and inaccurate. He didn't really sound French at all.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Man, I reverted my save back to
5-3/trash area
and played until it stopped spawning robots and STILL couldn't max trust Shindo

Dunno if that's a bug or what

Backflip

Although he had very little presence in the game, I found the accent used for Jean to be pretty awful and inaccurate. He didn't really sound French at all.

I'll have to do my second playthrough in English to check it out. I did my first playthrough with the French dub and some of the actors were pretty bad (in one of the cutscenes, one of the American characters had an accent from the South of France, it was pretty ridiculous).

Huh... that seems... well, I want to say out of character, but I guess not now that I think about it. Does
Bo get a death scene when you kill
him?

Yes, but
I think it's the exact same scene you get if he dies protecting Faye. The way they get around that is that the scene works both ways because Dan says "I can't believe you did that" and he goes "Yeah, pretty dumb eh? At least I won't have a price on my head." which, depending on what happened before this, either implies he didn't want to betray the military, or that after betraying the military he didn't want to get out of this alive to live with it.

Huh, I can't believe they made that work. Although I'm not sure how I would have taken it if I had seen that scene in the context as described.

What sells it imo, is that if he betrays you, the first fight with the mech grunts plays out with Big Bo taunting you and stuff throughout the battle, which you can also reply to, like in the Faye battle and the final battle.

In the "sacrifice" ending, it's like two old friends getting together one last time. The fact that he just betrays you and then suddenly you forgive him is a bit weird. I mean, I know that's ALSO a cliche and god knows that it happens in the Yakuza games all the time, so maybe it's just a case of seeing one first and having that cloud how I receive the scene.

Interesting, thought they would have altered it slightly like with the Cerberus/Satellite Destruction scenes, but I guess as with most of the in game dialogue/scenarios it was written to be open to context. I just figured when Bo said that after his sacrifice, he meant it as a positive for taking the fatal blow (plus he figured how much Faye meant to Dan).

Yea, guess since they figured it wasn't an essential role, they just gave it to Dan's actor to do the cheesy accent (like JYB doing some of the NPCs).

finished the game on Survivor :D

got the
betrayal?
ending. Didn't see
Cain, Shindo or Kurosawa any more after they supposedly died or just left the scene. Rachel and Bo died in the final battle.
If the trust level is high enough,
will they make an appearance in the end?

It's like Mass Effect :D how many buddies
can you keep alive!

got the
betrayal?
ending. Didn't see
Cain, Shindo or Kurosawa any more after they supposedly died or just left the scene. Rachel and Bo died in the final battle.

can you keep alive!

Yes, although for Shindo, I had his trust maxed out and he didn't return, I assume there is no difference unless EVERYONE is maxed out (I'll try that out at some point). Depending on your trust levels either Rachel, Bo, or Cain take the blow for Faye.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

got the
betrayal?
ending. Didn't see

can you keep alive!

Its actually a bit better than mass effect. In mass effect you have to do each of the crew members missions to gain their loyality and then put them on the right mission at the end. I like how Binary Domain puts the trust system during battle and situation and coversation.

So many positive comments on this game. Just like Vanquish, I believe this will be an excellent shooter that's going to be overlooked.

I've ordered Vanguish, I want to try out this shooter since a lot of people have said good things about it and Lik recommended it to me.

I did end up grabbing this yesterday and played for a couple of hours yesterday. So far, I'm very much enjoying it. It's really a refreshing take (or satire) of the whole bro-shooter genre. There's certainly some jankiness in spots but overall, it's a great looking and fun romp so far! It should be an interesting juxtaposition playing this while going through ME3 later this week.

Playing the Binary domain demo and the mass effect 3 demo just only showed me how the mass effect 3 demo controls felt so dated and stiff.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Decided to suck it up and finish it this morning. Still really torn on it. Liked the shooting+ bosses but hates the on rails/setpiece type moments. Also hated the trust dialogue shit, wish I could have turned it off since most of that dialogue was honestly poor and annoying. Story was semi interesting but bogged down with MUAHAH LET ME EXPLAIN FOR TEN MINUTES WOULD COULD BE SAID IN THIRTY SECONDS type cliche needless exposition.

Didnt realize there was more than one
ending
until I read some of the spoilers here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, although for Shindo, I had his trust maxed out and he didn't return, I assume there is no difference unless EVERYONE is maxed out (I'll try that out at some point). Depending on your trust levels either Rachel, Bo, or Cain take the blow for Faye.
It appears that
very high trust ending is actually the Cain returning ending, at least according to someone who tested it on GameFaqs.

It appears that
very high trust ending is actually the Cain returning ending, at least according to someone who tested it on GameFaqs.

Hrm...
so there would be no difference (like Shindo making a cameo or something) if I maxed out the trust for all characters other than trophies/achievements?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hrm...
so there would be no difference (like Shindo making a cameo or something) if I maxed out the trust for all characters other than trophies/achievements?
I can't confirm that unfortunately... and I don't feel like playing the third game to try it. lol
I would doubt there's a super
ending if you have everyone at max trust
, but then again, I can't be sure either.

theDeeDubs

Totally blown away by this game. The demo doesn't do it justice, and I even loved the demo. It felt like I was smiling the whole time I played this. I was expecting cringeworthy cutscenes, but I loved them. My only negatives were that Dan's VA was very "hit or miss" in his performance and the one-word response choices made answering correctly a little confusing at times.

Koralsky

Well, sadly, the games just sell horrible in UK. Not just horrible - amazingly horrible :/

Also, we didn't have GameTrailers or Gamespot reviews yet, but SEGA send a press copy to this guy?

This is just wrong - most of the gaffers doesn't need reviews from GT or Gamespot, but they are some of the biggest gaming portals and some positive words can help with the sales (very little, but still) for this king of totally niche title.

btw. My preordered copy just arrived from zavvi (finally) and i'm going to play the game tomorrow. But I"m so sad BD tanked so badly :/ I was expecting to be bad, but not this bad...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Also, we didn't have GameTrailers or Gamespot reviews yet, but SEGA send a press copy to this guy?

I highly doubt Sega sent that guy a copy. He's probably playing a pirated version or something. He was trolling the entire time with that video (he even worked in a "SHOT THE FAWK UP").

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I watched a review from CVG and i noticed tons of scenes in the game i never seen in my play-through. I wonder if there are more scenes in the game that is changed depending on the trust level. Even more scenes are in this review that i never seen on my playthrough....oh man this game is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeTkZwOrPrI&feature=related

spoiler starts at 4:45

duckroll

I watched a review from CVG and i noticed tons of scenes in the game i never seen in my play-through. I wonder if there are more scenes in the game that is changed depending on the trust level. Even more scenes are in this review that i never seen on my playthrough....oh man this game is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeTkZwOrPrI&feature=related

spoiler starts at 4:45

It's just stuff from the announcement trailer way back. Not part of the game.

ACESmkII

Beat it yesterday and for the most part I absolutely loved it. I think it just needed a few more months in the oven to iron out some of the performance issues and give the game the polish it deserves. I really enjoyed the story, the characters were very like able, amazing bosses, and the gunplay was awesome. I think I enjoyed BD way more than Gears of War 1 and 2( never played 3 ).

A sequel needs to happen with
Dan and Faye being hunted down by a new rust crew. Bring back Cain too! They never showed him again after he was hacked.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished it. Wow, what an awesome game. Took me about 8 hours and I loved just about every minute of it. Great characters, great story, great atmosphere. Just a whole ton of fun. Reminds me of the old days when Japan made awesome stuff instead of creepy loli-animu garbage.

I'm glad I stayed through the credits! Serious Dan!

Flunkie

Banned
Agree with the gameplay in the demo of this being so much better than ME3. Kind of makes me want to play through ME3 first, heh.

Volcynika

Beat the game last night. Enjoyed it pretty much all the way.

The huge glaring inconsistency when playing was (end game spoilers)
I wasn't able to save Bo from the Cerberus......but he was right there after I blew up the satellite dish.

Maybe will get some multi in sometime soon.

duckroll

Beat the game last night. Enjoyed it pretty much all the way.

The huge glaring inconsistency when playing was (end game spoilers)
I wasn't able to save Bo from the Cerberus......but he was right there after I blew up the satellite dish.

Maybe will get some multi in sometime soon.

It's not an inconsistency.
The event is there to give you a final chance to boost Big Bo's Trust before the last chapter. It doesn't determine if he lives or dies.

Volcynika

It's not an inconsistency.
The event is there to give you a final chance to boost Big Bo's Trust before the last chapter. It doesn't determine if he lives or dies.

Hm.
Well then that was still confusing! It was like "nooooooooooo I didn't save you...oh there you are!"

So many good impressions here. Can't wait to try it, but I've got a ME2 + ME3 + Graces f line-up to go through. Once I'm done with those I'm placing my order on Newegg.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Agree with the gameplay in the demo of this being so much better than ME3. Kind of makes me want to play through ME3 first, heh.
It is, but I don't really think these two games will be all that comparable.

As much as I love Binary Domain, it's a more focused, smaller type of game that deals entirely with combat (which isn't a bad thing at all).

I actually think they COULD have pulled off more of a Mass Effect style experience based on their past works along with this one.

IrishNinja

stayed up half the night blazing through chapters 2-4, just got to 5...this game is such hot shit.

I'm impressed with what the team's pulled off here, i wasn't really expecting something so AAA in its presentation, and it moves like a roller coaster ride too. i can actually see replaing this one with another crew to see how things go (and on hard!), as well as checking out the multi a bit.

It is, but I don't really think these two games will be all that comparable.

As much as I love Binary Domain, it's a more focused, smaller type of game that deals entirely with combat (which isn't a bad thing at all).

I actually think they COULD have pulled off more of a Mass Effect style experience based on their past works along with this one.

the only thing they can do to make this even better other than tightening the gameplay is to expand the trust mechanic to a whole new level. multiple branching paths like Witcher 2, special cutscenes for certain combination of party setup, more chances for teammate actually dead etc

but it's probably quite expensive to make.

Does Newegg usually take awhile to ship things with their free option? I ordered Binary Domain on Sunday, and while I have a tracking number, I've just been getting an error message.

Dave Long

Banned
Sometimes it takes awhile for their tracking info to show up. Slow boat shipping with them does this whole DHL -> USPS thing or something like that. Shouldn't be an issue.

I have been enjoying this way too much. It feels like what I was hoping for from Vanquish - the destructible nature of the robots in BD makes it so incredibly satisfying and visceral.

Top Bottom