• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, one thing about the trust mechanic:

When you figure out that Charlie and Rachael don't matter in terms of the outcome of the game, there isn't much incentive to use them if you're trying for the "best" ending.

Seems weird that they didn't try to do more with that anyway.

I primarily used Faye and Cain throughout the game.

Maxed out Shindo's trust meter right before he died.

Story spoilers:

I actually thought Dan was a Hollow Child, especially when there were flashbacks of him smashing that robot with a baseball bat or something as a kid. So Faye turning out to be a Hollow Child was actually shocking to me. I guess her rigid facial expressions were a give away, but I never really thought about that lol.

I thought Nagoshi would pull a Ridley Scott retcon and make Dan a Hollow Child, too.

panda21

is it possible to kill Faye? and it not be a game over? i redid the shoot her before she shoots Charlie thing 3 times trying not to kill her and eventually got it, but I dont know what would have happened if I had just shot her in the head.

awww shit sorry :((((((((((

7threst

Just started the game and finished the first boss fight (i think it's a boss). Damn, the dialogue in this game is really funny :)
I really don't like (third person) shooters but I really love this game!

I'm about to order this game on PS3, and would love to add some new PSN friends--my list is pretty barren as it is: JimmyStav is the name.

FreeMufasa

Regarding Dans flashback

So his drunk dad/step-dad used to beat up him and his mum. Why was he taking it out on the robot? Was it because he didn't help?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
is it possible to kill Faye? and it not be a game over? i redid the shoot her before she shoots Charlie thing 3 times trying not to kill her and eventually got it, but I dont know what would have happened if I had just shot her in the head.

awww shit sorry :((((((((((

I aimed at her head and didn't kill her...

Beat the game. Got some real strong Blade Runner vibes throughout. Aside from a few little things, I loved it.

Only real complaint was the fallback
LOLZ AMERICAN MILITARY GUY IS EVIL AND WANTS TO STEAL THE AI END BOSS.

As for the difficulty, I never died until the final boss killed me twice.

frequency

So I had no interest in this game because I'm totally not into shooters.

But it's a slow Sunday afternoon on GAF so I started browsing threads I wouldn't normally go into. I just watched that Hollow Child video in the OP. I wasn't expecting much but by the end I found I was completely gripped by it. It was very RGG, which I absolutely love for the story stuff.

I'm now very interested in this game. How much story is there really? Is this another one of these short six hour games where it's mostly just action? Or can I expect RGG levels of story and character stuff?

So I had no interest in this game because I'm totally not into shooters.

But it's a slow Sunday afternoon on GAF so I started browsing threads I wouldn't normally go into. I just watched that Hollow Child video in the OP. I wasn't expecting much but by the end I found I was completely gripped by it. It was very RGG, which I absolutely love for the story stuff.

I'm now very interested in this game. How much story is there really? Is this another one of these short six hour games where it's mostly just action? Or can I expect RGG levels of story and character stuff?

There is a good amount of story and character interaction. It's not crazy melodramatic over the top like the RGG games, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In some ways, they could have just dumped the RGG characters into this and it would have made as much sense as the zombie setting. Dan could easily be Kazama, for instance.

In some ways, they could have just dumped the RGG characters into this and it would have made as much sense as the zombie setting. Dan could easily be Kazama, for instance.

Eh, I thought they did a pretty good job of working the zombie outbreak into existing RGG continuity.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Really not enjoying the game so far.

The trust mechanic is silly as fuck, and story wise it's sometimes funny but I can already smell a plot twist or two coming a mile away which is no fun.

The shooting itself is mostly fine but not liking the uneven difficulty, most of the game on normal I could use the controller upside down and be fine but then there will be a random section (early game spoiler) like
When you are shooting out the top of the SUV. Random deaths because I will literally get stunlocked in the middle of a reload for 15+seconds...fucking dumb. Died there more than in the rest of the game combined so far)

At this point I might just quit it and send it back to gamefly, really glad I stopped myself from buying it due to not being happy with the demo.

Only thing I have truly enjoyed are the silly giant bosses. They aren't even fun gameplay wise, just cool looking.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Eh, I thought they did a pretty good job of working the zombie outbreak into existing RGG continuity.
I have no idea... but I was just thinking that the four main characters from Y4/RGG4 could pretty much be the Rust squad.

Of course, BD also has the same story beats as a Yakuza game, with the same large stakes game tied to a very personal story. It's much more than a superficial similarity anyway.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Regarding Dans flashback

So his drunk dad/step-dad used to beat up him and his mum. Why was he taking it out on the robot? Was it because he didn't help?

Yeah. He grew a resentment for the inhumane ways of Robots, from the fact that he didn't even see this basic model try and defend his mother, it seems.

Of course, he really would have liked to lash out at his dad, but his dad was much too strong, so he used the bot as a scapegoat.

I kinda like it, because at first you think it's just a hate crime (human VS bot), then you think it's because the robot DID something (did it hurt his mom while malfunctioning?), but then you learn it's because of it's lack of action; something it really wasn't "guilty" of, much as how Faye isn't guilty of who/what her parents were.

-------

LuchaShaq: The plottwist you smell probably isn't the one they end up giving you, just so you know.

And yeah, on the SUV, you don't have to reload while standing. Ducking WILL eat your current reload motion, BUT, you can duck, and then reload while ducked. Helps tons, and is actually pretty practically done.

One thing I liked about the trust mechanic, is that the characters seem aware of your shifts in playstyle. Once, I had Cain bring up how I wasn't fighitng as good as I normally did, and he wondered if I was hurt or something. When I told him it was nothing like that, he was annoyed, and told me to get my head back in the game, basically.

Trust also seems to affect the solidarity of AI choices. A trusting Faye will take out snipers pretty well when I tell everyone to fire; a non-trusting Faye will prioritize her own ideas on how to fight, and ignore what I might think are big threats.

Also found the gameplay of the boss battles fun, personally. Much more like classic pattern / weakpoint classic gaming bosses, rather than just big enemies for the sake of being big. The dynamic destruction and constantly changing situations in which you fight them all, really made the game feel well-constructed, to me.

Really not enjoying the game so far.

The trust mechanic is silly as fuck, and story wise it's sometimes funny but I can already smell a plot twist or two coming a mile away which is no fun.

The shooting itself is mostly fine but not liking the uneven difficulty, most of the game on normal I could use the controller upside down and be fine but then there will be a random section (early game spoiler) like
When you are shooting out the top of the SUV. Random deaths because I will literally get stunlocked in the middle of a reload for 15+seconds...fucking dumb. Died there more than in the rest of the game combined so far)

You can duck and reload.

Suzuki Yu

Then the truck hit's a barrier and he stands up and gets stuck in the reload/stun/reload stun cycle where you can't stop it yourself. Already 2 hours past that but it's awful.
no, he never stand up by himself when he is inside and you can reload inside as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
as I mentioned previously, I got this scenario with having max trust for everyone except for Charlie and Rachel who were a couple of points shy from that. Though I'm sure it didn't matter with Shindo and Kurosawa. I also saved Bo from the Cerberus, though I'm not sure if that was needed to get the best outcome but it did help maxing out my trust with Bo.

yea, this was my first ending, I was surprised.
Though whole Bo not betraying is an achievement/trophy so that explains the possibilities. I wonder why there isn't a reward/achievement for getting the best scenario though.

I really wish they would have included a cut scene viewer.

I have a question for who have completed this on Survivor:
how much more difficult are the Shinobi enemies?

Those enemies aren't too bad. The shotgun is amazing on them(and amazing in general, raises trust with everyone really easily when you one hit blast apart enemies). And like mentioned above, the assault rifle blast makes them fall to the ground with plenty of time to finish them off.

I might try this on No Mercy. I didn't die at all on Survivor due to the way the health kit system worked generously letting you eat it around 10 times. My AI squadmates rarely went down until the later segments, so giving them extra kits also helped. I REALLY am dreading
the final segment of the gorilla boss. Faye kept getting downed here and it's hard to keep that bastard still.
I feel like that'll be the hardest part in the game for me.

Interesting, I was just curious to see if they were anymore pain in the ass than usual.

You know, one thing about the trust mechanic:

When you figure out that Charlie and Rachael don't matter in terms of the outcome of the game, there isn't much incentive to use them if you're trying for the "best" ending.

Seems weird that they didn't try to do more with that anyway.

You can also say the same about Shindo, unless something happens if you 100% everyone in one playthrough before the US commandos/Philips.

atomsk

Party Pooper
played through it again today, about 6 hours if you skip all the cut scenes

and I still couldn't max out trust with Cain/Shindo

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You can also say the same about Shindo, unless something happens if you 100% everyone in one playthrough before the US commandos/Philips.

Ahh, it looks like to get
Cain to return
you need everyone at
Very High
trust, so there actually is a reason. I must have gotten it by accident, thankfully. It was funny, because I was doing my easy run and
since everyone was alive
the battle took like 2 minutes.

One question for people who have seen a specific
(the "betrayal")
ending -
why would Rachael take the hit for Faye?

played through it again today, about 6 hours if you skip all the cut scenes

and I still couldn't max out trust with Cain/Shindo
For Cain, you need to have him in your party at all times and get a lot of the combat bonuses. For Shindo, you can max him out during the
5-3/trash level

atomsk

Party Pooper
For Cain, you need to have him in your party at all times and get a lot of the combat bonuses. For Shindo, you can max him out during the
5-3/trash level

Yeah, I did as much as possible, and the level was RIGHT THERE, but it never quite maxed out. No matter how much time I spent in
the trash level

Finally got tired and moved on :lol

I've found certain points you can spam for higher trust levels (at least for Normal) are:

The last part of Chapter 2-5 with the monkeys before jumping on to the elevator (smash and shock blast them)...or possibly any section involving getting on an elevator, such as the food processing plant's shipping area.

The second part of the chandelier boss.

and of course the section with Shindo and Kurosawa opening the door, plus the pit area before Shindo dies. (thank god for shock blast updates)

Of course knowing how the story goes helps with planning out choices.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
beat game on Rust Em Up

then went back and read spoilers

I'm a little disappointed in the effect trust actually has on the story(it was hyped up to be much more. Like taking different team members on different missions would yield different paths as they "noticed different things in the environment".)

but the best ending sounds good. Definitely planning on starting a Survivor run aiming for it tomorrow.

The story was pretty cool. I liked the ending and thought the twist near it was pretty well executed, which is the exact opposite of Yakuza games from my experience. I also appreciate it not getting too preachy one way or the other on the issue presented at the end by the twist. Really entertaining stuff. Surprised the hell out of me really

Was going to add you folks in the thread and hop on multiplayer tonight, but I noticed PSN was down. Maybe tomorrow.

Really liked this game alot. Glad I decided on this one being one of my few release date purchases this year. Definitely the kind of game I like my money going towards and would love to see another entry in the franchise

duckroll

One question for people who have seen a specific
(the "betrayal")
ending -
why would Rachael take the hit for Faye?

After taking the hit, before dying she says "Human enough... for me." so that implies that she too has doubts about whether a hybrid can really be considered just a machine.

ezekial45

Banned
Can you use the chapter select option to max out the trust and weapons?

Anyway, I really dug this game. The story and characters were pretty awesome, and the action sequences were stellar. I'm glad to see Sega's Yakuza team showing that they can do much more than those beat-em up games. I hope this does well for them. It would be nice to see what they can do if they can turn this into a series.

EDIT: Btw, does anyone have a link to the music that played during the data install screen?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a limit to weapon upgrades?

At the terminal before the last boss I bought every stat until "sold out" appeared, but didn't get the trophy for maxing a stat and still had credits left over.

I really misunderstood how the shop worked. I assumed everything unlocked with progression and by the end you'd be able to buy everything if you had the credits to do so. but that wasn't the case at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
After taking the hit, before dying she says "Human enough... for me." so that implies that she too has doubts about whether a hybrid can really be considered just a machine.
Huh... that seems... well, I want to say out of character, but I guess not now that I think about it. Does
Bo get a death scene when you kill
him?

Can you use the chapter select option to max out the trust and weapons?
Nope. You can go back in your current playthrough to an earlier chapter and "fork" the game onto a new save file though.

Is there a limit to weapon upgrades?

At the terminal before the last boss I bought every stat until "sold out" appeared, but didn't get the trophy for maxing a stat and still had credits left over.

I really misunderstood how the shop worked. I assumed everything unlocked with progression and by the end you'd be able to buy everything if you had the credits to do so. but that wasn't the case at all.
That's how it works... did you buy all the upgrades for Dan's rifle? Because that's the one that gives you the achievements.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Huh... that seems... well, I want to say out of character, but I guess not now that I think about it. Does
him?

Nope. You can go back in your current playthrough to an earlier chapter and "fork" the game onto a new save file though.

That's how it works... did you buy all the upgrades for Dan's rifle? Because that's the one that gives you the achievements.

I thought I did. Everything said "sold out"

but no trophy

duckroll

him?

Yes, but
I think it's the exact same scene you get if he dies protecting Faye. The way they get around that is that the scene works both ways because Dan says "I can't believe you did that" and he goes "Yeah, pretty dumb eh? At least I won't have a price on my head." which, depending on what happened before this, either implies he didn't want to betray the military, or that after betraying the military he didn't want to get out of this alive to live with it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, but
I think it's the exact same scene you get if he dies protecting Faye. The way they get around that is that the scene works both ways because Dan says "I can't believe you did that" and he goes "Yeah, pretty dumb eh? At least I won't have a price on my head." which, depending on what happened before this, either implies he didn't want to betray the military, or that after betraying the military he didn't want to get out of this alive to live with it.
Huh, I can't believe they made that work. Although I'm not sure how I would have taken it if I had seen that scene in the context as described.

I thought I did. Everything said "sold out"

but no trophy
You could look at the guide on GameFAQs... the achievement was for maxing out just one of them iirc and you should have access to all the upgrades by the end. I don't believe it's "missable" like the nanomachine collectable achievement.

duckroll

Huh, I can't believe they made that work. Although I'm not sure how I would have taken it if I had seen that scene in the context as described.

What sells it imo, is that if he betrays you, the first fight with the mech grunts plays out with Big Bo taunting you and stuff throughout the battle, which you can also reply to, like in the Faye battle and the final battle.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What sells it imo, is that if he betrays you, the first fight with the mech grunts plays out with Big Bo taunting you and stuff throughout the battle, which you can also reply to, like in the Faye battle and the final battle.
In the "sacrifice" ending, it's like two old friends getting together one last time. The fact that he just betrays you and then suddenly you forgive him is a bit weird. I mean, I know that's ALSO a cliche and god knows that it happens in the Yakuza games all the time, so maybe it's just a case of seeing one first and having that cloud how I receive the scene.

My only question is there a chance the story will turn out to be borderline parody (like an unintentional Bulletstorm or perhaps a Metal Wolf Chaos), because after looking at the IGN review, that seems possible...

No, its much closer to Ghost in the Shell storywise.
edit: but the main character is a noisy and simple one-liner machoguy so that might give it that parody vibe. Dialogue with the team works most of the time and its entertaining. The main storyline itself and the themes it handles are more serious.

beat it yesterday, such a great game, trust mechanic can be developed further but I love the concept. in ideal world, we'll get a sequel with more robust trust mechanic and alternate brancing path or story depending on your trust level kinda like Witcher 2.

Pinbot

Banned
Just finished it, loved it. Will be criminally underplayed like Vanquish.

Only maxed out Shindo's trust, going in for a second run. Blown away by the story, I'm not usually one for stories in shooters, but this was riveting.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One thing I liked about the trust mechanic, is that the characters seem aware of your shifts in playstyle. Once, I had Cain bring up how I wasn't fighitng as good as I normally did, and he wondered if I was hurt or something. When I told him it was nothing like that, he was annoyed, and told me to get my head back in the game, basically.
Yes, this is too true. I had a pretty busy weekend so, while playing this last night, I got a bit too comfortable and started to dose off. Not because the game was dull or anything (quite the opposite), rather, I was simply very tired. So I started to play like shit as I had trouble staying awake. My partners all seemed to notice this and commented on my performance a number of times in a similar fashion. I thought that was a neat touch as it was dialog I had not heard before and seemed to be directly related to my sudden drop in proficiency.

My new favorite character in a game in quite awhile. Love that dude.
Hell yes. Cain is the shit! My wife is French, actually, so even she appreciated his awesomeness. :p

Top Bottom