• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland Police tackle protestors blocking traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.
":just for standing in traffic"

Being tackled to the ground is a lot better outcome than being hit by a car. Get out of the road. Its weird that it being a protest makes it "ok" in some peoples eyes. So if they weren't protesting and just standing in the middle of the road it would still be ok to just stand there? Or its ok cuz they are trying to protest?

no i don't believe that the police should have the right to assault the people that they work for for standing in traffic. i won't waste my breath defending the police's right to do this when i could be defending people who are actually standing up for their values and are attacked for doing so. whether they're protesting or not, the level of force exerted against the people in this video is unacceptable, and trust me the portland police have confidently done much worse against the people they're sworn to protect.

Ms.Galaxy

Just like Chris Christie blocking a bridge, this could be blocking emergency traffic.

O2I3Lxd.png

Abounder

Banned
Seems like you should target the powers that be then.

Protest outside their offices or even their homes.

Target the people you want to listen to you.

Don't piss off random people in the hope someone will turn to your side faster than the public demands they turn against you.

That doesn't work, not alone at least. Those on the top have the pure luxury that they can ignore you. What they can't ignore is the bad PR and businesses hurting that protests can cause.

Much easier to get clicks and headlines by inciting road rage instead, although I doubt these perps intended their message to backfire

Lowmelody

You are talking to people who think protesting means hitting the Retweet button. Real sacrifice or standing up for anything is so foreign to them that it is scary. These people would have been just fine sitting in the back of the bus or told that they couldn't drink from water fountains. Just a big ball of complacency.

"Are you kidding? Making a big deal about a seat on a bus? Keep bein hysterical liberals, thats how you lost the election!"

deli2000

We shouldn't protest violently because it will ruin the lives of others

We shouldn't protest non-violently because it will inconvenience the lives of others

We shouldn't complain online because that's slacktivism.

We shouldn't show disapproval at people because that makes you just as bad as them.

We shouldn't make fun or laugh at them because do you want 4 more years of trump?

We shouldn't make demands from politicians because we just need to give them a chance, they'll pivot.

Don't speak up, don't act out. Conform to my closed minded worldview, don't make me leave my comfort zone in any way, don't make me feel uneasy, for I am a perfect liberal with no flaws.

How hard of an ask is that?

And honestly, for a little context as opposed to the vague, generalized "FFS just let me get to work," Portland commuters (especially downtown) aren't particularly thrown by the idea there are protests making the buses run slow and causing traffic diversions. This happens fairly frequently for myriad unforseen reasons (train derailed, emergency construction, planned construction, etc) at least two or three times a week, and that's on top of the generally fucked traffic we normally have to endure anytime between 7am-10am and 2pm-6pm.

There have been protests "stopping" people from getting to work/school fairly frequently for the last half-year, I'd say. It's not unexpected at all.

For example, there's going to be a protest this weekend, put on by a coalition of black churches in the area, marching on the anniversary of a mentally distraught unarmed black teenager getting shot in the back and killed by police 7 years ago.

the action that this video comes from is, I believe, from a protest regarding the city's ineptitude in handling both inclement weather and the homeless, which led to a baby being stillborn on the streets during an ice storm.

I believe the people who actually live and work downtown understand and account for this, for the most part. The people who tend to complain about "just let me get to work FFS" are usually people who do not live and work here, but are instead posting from outside the metro area, hanging out on the comments section of the local news services and feigning their aggrieved nature.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
If it was as simple as that, then the Civil Rights movement should have been an utter failure. You think the general public supported the disruption the CRM caused? The disruption then was immense and was a daily thing.

The civil rights movement targeted symbols of oppression. They targeted the areas of society that succeeded in flagrantly violating the civil rights of others. The significance of the targets were obvious to many at the time and while they obviously inconvenienced some, they did so with maximum effect.

Standing in the middle of a seemingly random street unrelated directly to what you are protesting against is not the same thing.

Note: because I know GAF, I'm going to preface this by saying I don't agree with the police here and do support peaceful but disruptive protests, provided it won't affect emergency vehicles where people need medical attention.

People being against disruptive protesting are on the perfect road to accept fascism.
How about if we ONLY had "disruptive" protests?

What I mean is, do you... I don't know... Maybe... Perhaps... Think the local and state powers are getting just slightly on edge from "protests" turning into "riots" where property is being destroyed left and right?

Like, if you came over to my house on the reg just to punch me in the balls, chances are one of these days I'm going to see you walking up to my door and I'm just going to start swinging on you BEFORE you do something.

Protests have repeatedly turned into riots - not sure exactly what people are expecting moving forward. I don't agree with what police are doing here, but you have to be able to see past your own nose in these situations. It's compounding, not isolated.

Disruptive? Fine. Destructive? No. The more the latter happens the less the former will be allowed. Honestly, people will ruin it for themselves.

Cipherr

Just a reminder that these posters in the thread caping for this bullshit aren't anything new. Their entire idea of "correct protesting" is basically 'Do it so I don't have to see or hear about it. Be easily ignorable.' And anything that falls outside of that they will have a problem with, no matter the cause. History repeats.

That horseshit about "Your protests are only HURTING your cause" is fucking bullshit and just another way for people to demand that you shut the fuck up and stop being noticed; because protests that get noticed is often the first step to getting shit done.

Our "allies" brehs...

J-Rod

There is nothing admirable about targeting your anger towards regular working class people who aren't responsible for your grievances, but I guess that makes me a fascist.

Almighty

Haven't protesters learned by now. If you are going to protest do it in ways that I can't see and don't inconvenience me. I agree with your protests, but gosh darn it I have things to do.

look I get it but if I get fired or fail a class over a missed test... :|

Again, this isn't occurring in a vaccuum here. People in Portland, employers and/or teachers, are going to be pretty understanding if you tell them you got stuck momentarily behind a protest action downtown. It's not rare. It's not going to be seen as some sort of irresponsibility on your part.

It's also not as if the ability to communicate from said commute blockage is beyond us. It's not 1987, where you'd have to hop out of your stalled car and run to the nearest payphone and hope the line at the boss' office isn't giving you the busy signal. You can call/text and they can check their fuckin traffic app and note the big angry red lines all over downtown and if they're employers/educators at all worth a shit, they'll ask you to get there asap and stay safe.

(the stay safe part is usually going to be in reference to the armored up and extra-eager riot cops, not the protesters themselves, btw)

Croyles

thank god states are making it legal to ruN them over. sure protest fAscism whatever, but don't make me fuckiNg late to work/am coffee.

No way to get their message out. if Anything this will tuRn more people towards trUmp that don't want to have to deal with this bullshiT. we have civil rigHts already, thanks.

Are you the fake President?

ET1M0qx.jpg

Note: because I know GAF, I'm going to preface this by saying I don't agree with the police here and do support peaceful but disruptive protests, provided it won't affect emergency vehicles where people need medical attention.

How about if we ONLY had "disruptive" protests?

What I mean is, do you... I don't know... Maybe... Perhaps... Think the local and state powers are getting just slightly on edge from "protests" turning into "riots" where property is being destroyed left and right?

Like, if you came over to my house on the reg just to punch me in the balls, chances are one of these days I'm going to see you walking up to my door and I'm just going to start swinging on you BEFORE you do something.

Protests have repeatedly turned into riots - not sure exactly what people are expecting moving forward. I don't agree with what police are doing here, but you have to be able to see past your own nose in these situations. It's compounding, not isolated.

Disruptive? Fine. Destructive? No. The more the latter happens the less the former will be allowed. Honestly, people will ruin it for themselves.

you have to realize that police brutality in response to protests is nothing new. just because you are being forced to reckon with it due to increased media attention on protestors in the wake of the civl disobedience in response to trump doesn't mean that the police are suddenly just starting to utilize disproportionately violent tactics to squash protests, in fact, now that we have an authoritarian president who in my opinion cares more about "blue lives" than black lives, i'd encourage you to strap in because police brutality has quite a few more prominent cheerleaders in the white house than it did before.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
People being against disruptive protesting are on the perfect road to accept fascism.

Dude speak for yourself, I have it on good authority that peaceful protesting from the safety of my computer desk is more than enough to bring about positive change!

/s if that wasn't obvious enough

I've been tackled by cops when I was mistakenly identified as someone involved in a big gang fight at the mall. Honestly I wasn't even really that upset about it.

Getting tackled is a hell of a lot better than getting Tazed or Tear Gassed.

Definitely didn't seem like excessive force IMO.

guek

Banned
Just a reminder that these posters in the thread caping for this bullshit aren't anything new. Their entire idea of "correct protesting" is basically 'Do it so I don't have to see or hear about it. Be easily ignorable.' And anything that falls outside of that they will have a problem with, no matter the cause. History repeats.

That horseshit about "Your protests are only HURTING your cause" is fucking bullshit and just another way for people to demand that you shut the fuck up and stop being noticed; because protests that get noticed is often the first step to getting shit done.

Our "allies" brehs...

Despite agreeing that disruptive protesting should not be silenced, there is an objectively "wrong" way to protest. In this case, the police action was completely misguided but police brutality is a separate discussion altogether. However, police should also not be chastised for upholding the law. I'm sure most of these protestors were aware that they may be arrested for blocking traffic. The police were totally out of line in how they responded but that doesn't mean some measure of response wasn't appropriate.

Protest, be disruptive, etc., but accept the consequences if you're breaking the law, especially if your protest devolves into violence.

edit: to be clear, I'm not saying this was an improper way to protest

you have to realize that police brutality in response to protests is nothing new. just because you are being forced to reckon with it due to increased media attention on protestors in the wake of the civl disobedience in response to trump doesn't mean that the police are suddenly just starting to utilize disproportionately violent tactics to squash protests, in fact, now that we have an authoritarian president who in my opinion cares more about "blue lives" than black lives, i'd encourage you to strap in because police brutality has quite a few more prominent cheerleaders in the white house than it did before.
Oh I understand that fully. I'm just saying that now, with such an "itchy trigger finger" president, we should probably use just slightly more caution during execution of protests to make sure any action taken by the government(s) are seen as acts of aggression.

I probably should have clarified that in my original post but I'm not that bright. We can still be disruptive but have to realize that past protests which turned into riots will only compound any previous disposition to aggression by the government.

Good job? A man with his back turned was tackled. Do you not see how this is excessive use of force?

Nah, I'm cool with it. These protesters get 0 sympathy from me. They were literally just getting in people's way as they go about their day, and probably did more harm than good for their cause. Which is evident with the cheering as the police came in.

I've been tackled by cops when I was mistakenly identified as someone involved in a big gang fight at the mall. Honestly I wasn't even really that upset about it.

Getting tackled is a hell of a lot better than getting Tazed or Tear Gassed.

Definitely didn't seem like excessive force IMO.

It is excessive use of force. That man didn't do anything that required that level of force. It would have been different if he was resisting or was violent. He had his back turned, he didn't even know they were coming.

Nah, I'm cool with it. These protesters get 0 sympathy from me. They were literally just getting in people's way as they go about their day, and probably did more harm than good for their cause. Which is evident with the cheering as the police came in.

So you're cool with police brutality. That explains a lot.

Lowmelody

There is nothing admirable about targeting your anger towards regular working class people who aren't responsible for your grievances, but I guess that makes me a fascist.

But that's what you are doing, tilting at the "regular working class people" instead of what they are protesting about.

Stanng243

Does anyone else see this as part of Trumps long game? He promised new jobs, and he's going to create a lot of them. They'll all be
Private Prison correctional jobs to hold all the protesters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom