• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instances when "That's not a knife, this is a knife" "That's a Spoon" happen in games

c64bd9d1b9f052799c32c91l8s.jpg

Shellfish?

I was just going to come into this thread and say 70% of Pokemon descriptions to be honest.

Whenever you get a narratively-significant cool sword (like the Crach family sword in W3) as a quest reward, but it's entirely inferior to the sword you crafted for yourself 4 hours ago, so you just end up vendoring the thing

Keinning

Whenever you get a narratively-significant cool sword (like the Crach family sword in W3) as a quest reward, but it's entirely inferior to the sword you crafted for yourself 4 hours ago, so you just end up vendoring the thing

W3 is king of the weaponry with rich detailed backgrounds and awesome lore behind them which end up being vendor trash immediately

"This mythical sword once killed a whole legion of the wild hunt!!!! and it's way worse than this sword i just found on some dude, you can take it hattori"

LiamExe

This is a 'Harpy' according to FF7, when even the Japanese name literally comes out as 'Kimaira' (Chimera).

To make things even more confusing, there's 'Maximum Kimaira', which is its English name.

Though FF7 had a whole bunch of those awkward translations at times.

Ondor

Banned
World of Warcraft. They have proto-drakes which are actually wyverns and wyverns which are actually manticores.

This is a 'Harpy' according to FF7, when even the Japanese name literally comes out as 'Kimaira' (Chimera).

To make things even more confusing, there's 'Maximum Kimaira', which is its English name.

Though FF7 had a whole bunch of those awkward translations at times.

The wonders of FFVII's translation. How hilarious it was to see people defend it not long ago in this forum.

Princess Toadstool does not look like a toad.

Or a toadstool, but hey... she's her princess.

balloon.png

Sometimes known as 'Balloon'. I'm aware the other names like Grenade are pretty basic too, but calling a sentient ball of fire a balloon feels really off

It's a ball of high-pressure gas that can explode. "Balloon" is as accurate of a name as I can think of it.

hyena.png

And these things are known as Hyenas in FF1 NES. They look more like hyenas in other versions, but come on that is totally a raging cow like creature

A cow? What? I have a feeling you're having one of those "this is how I see this sprite", because that's totally a zombie dog (or indeed hyena) to me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Dark Souls games' "scythe" before finally correcting it to glaive in DS3. Same thing with the Black Knight "Halberd".

aDhCd7T.png
Well, war scythes are a thing, but they were only named that in Demon's Souls. In Dark Souls, there was the "great scythe" which was the more typical type of Grim Reaper-style scythe we know, then in DS2 they just called the war scythe/glaive a "scythe" for some reason. So it's not entirely inaccurate to call them scythe, but calling it war scythe would have been better.

I find it hilarious that the reason for this name was Miyamoto just looking in a thesaurus for alternative words for "stubborn ape," with no clue how it actually sounds.

I'd been baffled for years at the reasoning behind the name, knowing on some level that the explanation would be glorious. When I finally learned why Donkey Kong was called Donkey Kong I found it far more glorious than I'd ever imagined... lol

I could just imagine the NoA execs sat in a board room hearing, "so we have this new game about a gorilla. It's called Donkey Kong"...

Team: "Bwaaaaaaahhhahahaaahah!"

Top Bottom