• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

MIMIC

Banned
I had to go to class so I didn't see the entire match but Tsonga was playing amazingly well when he won the first set. Too bad for Novak, though. He hasn't been doing too well recently (although he managed to one round better than he did last year).

Federer's playing Cilic now.

That Murray/Nalbandian match was shaping up to be quite interesting, but Murray was just a bit too unnerved in that second set to pull through =/

pewye

Banned
Federer withdrew from the tournament because of a stiff back. Hopefully he will get better soon

The draw is now open and it is going to be interesting to see who will qualify to the Masters Cup. (Simon, Blake, Nalbandian or Tsonga)

pewye

Banned
MIMIC said:
Wow. Nadal just quit, too.

I had a feeling he was going to quit.

There is a reason why this tournament is my least favorite of the masters (mainly because of the injuries and the withdrawals)

Wow Nadal and Federer out from injury =/, I didn't see that coming. I hope they're feeling better for Shanghai, and then Davis for Nadal too. I was hoping for a much more exciting day of quarterfinals too :(

MIMIC

Banned
Meh, I was rooting for Nalbandian. But wow....Tsonga has established himself as a true force. He already has wins over Djokovic and Nadal, so the only one left is Federer.

Mets39

If Tsonga manages to play at this level during the Master, he's going to make some massive damage!

But considering that he often gets injured, i'm not going to get my hopes up.

Peru

Watching the Doha tennis tour, Kuznetsova - Jankovic. Some high quality tennis here, particularly this second set.

MIMIC

Banned
Looks like Nadal's grinding playing style is catching up with him. He has withdrawn from the Tennis Masters Cup citing knee tendinitis. There's also the possibility that he may also miss playing in the Davis Cup. ESPN

Federer's gotta be thinking about the French Open right now :lol If Nadal is wearing down already, this is probably Fed's best chance to win it. C'mon, Novak! We can't let that happen! =p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MIMIC said:
Looks like Nadal's grinding playing style is catching up with him. He has withdrawn from the Tennis Masters Cup citing knee tendinitis. There's also the possibility that he may also miss playing in the Davis Cup. ESPN

Federer's gotta be thinking about the French Open right now :lol If Nadal is wearing down already, this is probably Fed's best chance to win it. C'mon, Novak! We can't let that happen! =p

Djokovic fan huh?

FEDERER BABY!!!! lol

MIMIC said:

Told you this would happen. Well probably not you mimic but everyone in general.

ghstwrld said:
I'm sure the exceedingly crappy way in which the tennis season is scheduled isn't helping things either.

It's just the way Nadal schedules his tournaments. He puts so many on his schedule so that he can position himself better to be at the top of the ATP rankings. And since in previous years Federer would win 3 our of the 4 Grand Slams (and barely lose in any other tournament he played in), Nadal knew he had to go out and play in a greater number of tournaments to even have a chance of topping him.

Jelena Jankovic does the same thing and she always starts to grind down at the end of the year.

Cheez-It

Sax Russel said:
Oh cool, FSN in my area isn't even showing it at all. Fuck Texas.

The blame lies in:

Fox, for buying coverage they could not offer everywhere.
Whomever sold the rights to broadcast, knowing Fox could not broadcast it everywhere.

Bastards. Now I need to use crappy streaming, assuming I'm even awake!

MIMIC

Banned
God damn, the Federer-Simon match is at 5 in the fucking morning (ET). Why the hell does it have to be so late? The Djokovic-Del Potro match was at 1am. I'm going to bed in an hour so I won't be watching. No way I'm staying up that late with the work week looming.

I thought that the rest of the world was supposed to revolve around American convenience. :)
Seriously, I did. I mean, doesn't it?

EDIT: Hmmmm, FSN has it delayed at 1pm. Exactly an hour and thirty minutes before class. Maybe I can catch half (or 2/3) of the match. :)

MIMIC

Banned
Federer vs. Simon results:
Simon def. Federer 4-6, 6-4, 6-3

I spoiled myself by an accidental Google search (even though I waited until 1pm for the tape delayed match to start). :lol It's on FSN right now.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm watching the delay on FSN. I tell myself that I'm going to walk to Wendy's after the first set, which is a pretty short walk. I get back and it's 2-2 in the 3rd :lol. I couldn't believe Novak got bagled. I momentarily lost my appetite. :lol

Glad he won, though. (the suspense was killing me....I had to spoil myself at 5-4 Davydenko in the 3rd :lol)

EDIT: Tsonga blamed the ball kids for his loss against Del Potro. @_@ What a lazy fuck. God forbid he has to pick up his own towel instead of having it handed to him by the already worked to death ball kids.

I used to really like him (even though he's been raining all over Novak lately) but a comment like that is a real turn off.

*sigh* I wish I could be watching this. Supposedly FSN will be showing tomorrow's matches (delayed of course), but the online guide said they'd be showing them Sunday too, and that was preempted by NBA.

Watching the Murray-Simon match now, but come on, it's not even in HD. Triple fuck you Fox. Delayed, not showing all of it, and not in HD. Just give it to the Tennis Channel PLEASE.

(haven't spoiled myself with the scores yet =X, not looking too good for Simon atm)

Edit - also maybe I'm being a bit overly jaded but their commentators suck too =P

MIMIC

Banned
Federer & Murray playing now.

If Federer wins, he's in the semi-finals. If he loses, he's out and Simon is in the semi-finals instead.

MIMIC

Banned
Fed was down 2 breaks and then won 4 straight games. Wonder if Murray will just let Fed have this match since he already has a spot in the semis (like Novak did against Tsonga yesterday :lol)

MIMIC

Banned
That was quite a 2nd set. :lol Man, those were some sick rallies. And after the sudden resurgence of Federer to win 4 straight games, Murray still manages to clinch the 2nd set.

Leonsito

Woah, Federer is unleashed.

He was down 4-2 on the first? Is Murray "letting" him win or what?

And btw, I would have preferred Tsonga instead of Davydenko in semis :(

Top Bottom