• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Break points all over the place for Murray, but Federer always pulling it out of the bag at the right time.

Edit: Holy-fuck-awesome return by Murray there to get back to deuce...

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Federer just seems to have nothing on Murray's service games. If this goes to a tiebreaker then unless things change it's Murray's game to lose...

Edit: Clearly I spoke too soon. :D

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Neither player deserves to lose this one. A tiebreaker would be fitting - and it looks like it'd be tighter than it seemed earlier in this set. Murray with even more break points, though.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
castle007 said:
fuck it is over now :(

Don't know whether you noticed, but that's Federer playing out there. Isn't over until the last point goes in.

Edit: Which could be very soon. Match point.

Wes

venison crêpe
879360.jpg

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
And now it's over. Murray gets revenge for the US Open final. Awesome match, and looks good for an exciting Murray-Nadal final.

Leonsito

iapetus said:
And now it's over. Murray gets revenge for the US Open final. Awesome match, and looks good for an exciting Murray-Nadal final.

Well, I don't think that winning a semifinal in a TMS equals winning a GS, anyway, Murray after the first set improved a lot and gets a deserved win.

Now Nadal faces another easy match, the draws were a joke, comparing the Federer rivals against the Nadal ones.

Leonsito

Yeah, I think that Murray can become a regular finalist next year, he's closing on Djokovic, as the Serbian seems to struggle to match the Federer and Nadal level.

MIMIC

Banned
Murray's serve today was....WOW @_@ And his return of serve was....again...WOW. Other than those 6 BPs in the 3rd set that he couldn't convert, he was pretty much on fire in all aspects.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Doesn't look like Nadal's going to have much of a problem winning this one. Surprised he isn't further ahead by this point.

castle007

Banned
iapetus said:
Doesn't look like Nadal's going to have much of a problem winning this one. Surprised he isn't further ahead by this point.

yes.... :lol

Simon takes the second set 7-5

nice fight from Simon

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
WAT?

Edit: Just got home expecting this one to be over, and a few moments later Nadal was broken. Is Nadal collapsing, or is Simon suddenly playing obscenely well?

castle007

Banned
haha I am such a dumbass. :lol I forgot that they are playing in Madrid, I was wondering why the crowd isn't showing much support for Simon.

iapetus said:
WAT?

Edit: Just got home expecting this one to be over, and a few moments later Nadal was broken. Is Nadal collapsing, or is Simon suddenly playing obscenely well?

Simon is playing unbelievably well. And Nadal has had a terrible bp conversion rate.

castle007

Banned
holy shit

Simon will serve for the match

If he wins, it will be one of the best combacks I have seen in a while. The match is already a classic regardless of the outcome.

castle007

Banned
1-0 Nadal
1-1
2-1 minibreak nadal
3-1
3-2 minibreak gone
3-3
3-4 Simon
3-5 minibreak for Simon
4-5
5-5
5-6 match point Simon
6-6
6-7 match point Simon

Simon wins 3-6 7-5 7-6(6)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

what a fantastic effort from Simon. What an incredible match

:O

It is fitting how he won the match by the slightest margin.

Nadal
5/22 bp conversion

Cheez-It

Good for Murray. Awesome for Simon.

Hoping Simon takes out Murray.

Yeah, the Simon match was close. 123 points for Simon... 126 for Nadal.

That Nadal/Simon match was crazy. Barely managed to catch the end of it before I had to leave to pick someone up at the airport, glad I managed to see it through.

MIMIC

Banned
I was too tired to watch Nadal/Federer back-to-back. I'm starting to become a fan of Simon's. He has so many unexpected wins.

MIMIC

Banned
I just realized: Simon is the only player so far that has beaten 2 different No. 1 players in a Masters Series event.

Toronto - def. [1] Federer 2–6, 7–5, 6–4
Madrid - def. [1] Nadal 3–6, 7–5, 7–6(6)

Wes

venison crêpe
Only really listened to the first set as it sounded like the French player was half asleep and Murray was just going through the motions. Good win never the less.

Koshiro

iapetus said:
Excellent result for Murray. Terrible result for bitter haters. :D
Basically. I had to turn off Five Live because they were so miserable, just wouldn't shut up about how neither player was playing well. We get it, stop going on about it - at least talk about something else. Then one of them went off on a tangent saying they could put an asterisk next to each time Murray beat Federbot, eg. *Federer tired. Jesus christ!

Murray got the job done essentially, did only what was needed. He's now far and above Henman (who I always liked as his matches were so epic) with a GS final and 2 masters.

Cheez-It

Tsonga is playing amazingly well. Solid, solid net play. He really is a joy to watch when he's on. It's too bad his career has been so riddled with injury. Looks like he has a very realistic chance of knocking Djokovic out.

Cheez-It

Two superb points to go up match point (lob point, passing backhand crosscourt... amazing). May have to wait a game for the match, but wonderful tennis...

Top Bottom